161 replies to this topic

#61 TeenZ

TeenZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

It does not work, I enter my user and password and it kept adding blank lines every time I hit enter or clicked okay.

• Erik Lugris likes this

#62 Maverick Spirit

Maverick Spirit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

I can't believe it will be the players deciding what the ideal game settings will be. Will there be an equal number of players voting for each level of play? Would that mean there will be a testing tool for wind conditions, clubs, grroves, shafts, balls and everything else in the game? That would make us the actual designers of the game not PP/PG.

Not my intention to start any arguements but, there is friction on a golf ball in the air.

http://www.brighthub...air-resistance/

#63 Maverick Spirit

Maverick Spirit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

Just noticed/discovered a small discrepancy on the info page regarding "Changes Active Texture Setting". The info page lists keys 1 thru 6 as Fairway to Sand.

The actual keys display as:

1- Fairway

2- Green

3- Semi Rough

4- Deep Rough

5- Sand

6- Concrete

7- Tee

There is no setting for Fringe.

Which brings up two questions. First do all these settings work?  Second, when you set the texture for sand, does that change the texture of the entire test range to sand or do you have to actually land in the sand?

#64 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

Thanks Andrew. So I will be able to play the game but not be able to design courses. I can live with that then.

Jerry

Course Forge will work in XP too so you can design courses.  I am sure one of us will be able to do an import for you if you wanted a real course

• Erik Lugris and Davefevs like this

#65 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

Not my intention to start any arguements but, there is friction on a golf ball in the air.

I never said there wasn't. I said there was no setting for it in the ball physics alpha released.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#66 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

Andrew, thank you for your responses to my comments/questions. They opened my eyes to a few things as the testing terminology is physics related and not exactly golfing related, so things are becoming a little bit easier to understand. Shame there isn't some terminology definitions available. For example, I know what a fade or a draw is but, had no idea it is caused by the axis spin of a ball in physics terms...took awhile to discover something that some terminology definitions would have explained.

Ok, here we go

Percent Power:  Affects the initial ball speed
Percent Spin:  Allows the user to turn down the initial spin rate based on the power they selected
Spin Axis: Affects whether the ball hooks or slices draws or fades
Bounce:  The proportion of the vertical velocity component that is retained on impact with the ground
Friction:  Affects the angle at which the ball bounces, concept high friction surfaces will cause the ball to bounce low ones skid
Viscosity:  The proportion of the horizontal velocity component that is retained on impact with the ground
Maleability:  The amount of spin retained on the ball when it bounces
Roll Friction:  The rate at which the ball slows down when rolling

Launch Angle Shift, based on texture hit from affects the angle at which the ball launches
Launch Power shift, 
based on texture hit from affects the speed of the ball launch
Launch Spin Shift, based on texture hit affects the amount of spin on the ball at launch

I tried to take a Fraps video of the shot, Fraps didn't work...any recommendations as to a free video capture that works with this software.

If you are running in full screen mode try running in windowed mode and then try FRAPS I have used it for all our videos

Your example of the friction reaction I described as "space", is like a vacumn, nothing to stop the balls momentum...sure would be helpful if we had some guidelines, like what is the normal friction setting for a ball in the air, how would it chnage for rainy conditions or hot with high humidity, otherwise we are testing the physics as it relates to golf like a blind man. Just as where would be the settings in a game for wet, dry, very dry greens or fairways.

See above

Couple of other things, there are a lot more forces that are not exposed to the user interface including, Drag (friction on the ball in flight) Gravity a force acting on the ball vertically downwards, Magnus effect providing lift based on spin etc.

• Erik Lugris likes this

#67 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

Just noticed/discovered a small discrepancy on the info page regarding "Changes Active Texture Setting". The info page lists keys 1 thru 6 as Fairway to Sand.

The actual keys display as:

1- Fairway

2- Green

3- Semi Rough

4- Deep Rough

5- Sand

6- Concrete

7- Tee

There is no setting for Fringe.

Which brings up two questions. First do all these settings work?  Second, when you set the texture for sand, does that change the texture of the entire test range to sand or do you have to actually land in the sand?

All the settings work.  If you change to sand it will affect what happens to the ball when it hits sand or is hit from sand and so on.

Correct there is no setting for fringe, right now it is the same as green

• Erik Lugris likes this

#68 Carnoustie

Carnoustie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

looks good,friction does not seem enough with all set to max,ball still rolls to much off any slope,course looks good with waterfall.

• Erik Lugris likes this

Intel Core i7 6770K Quad Core Skylake

Liquid Cooled

ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO Motherboard

Gigabyte GTX 1080 Waterblock

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB DDR4 3200

Asus 27" ROG Swift PG278QR Quad HD G-SYNC

Samsung M2 500GB Drive

Samsung 850 SSD 1TB Drive

#69 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

Course Forge will work in XP too so you can design courses.  I am sure one of us will be able to do an import for you if you wanted a real course

Thanks Andrew. That answer has made my day.  Now, maybe, when the finals of the programs has been released I'll finally get to create the course of my dreams.  The Babe Zaharius Golf Club in northern Tampa.  I have been trying to design that ever since the 2001 APCD was released but could never understand the program(s) enough to do so.

Jerry

• Erik Lugris likes this

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#70 Maverick Spirit

Maverick Spirit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

Andrew, Thank you for the explainations they were very helpful, appreciate the time spent to provide them.

Did get Fraps to work, had to uninstall and reinstall it. Which brings me to my next question because maybe I'm not doing something right. Below is the URL to a playlist of 7 video's for the PP Alpha Physics Test, each one was taken with the identical settings but with different textures, can't understand why they basically yield the exact same result, so I have to be doing something wrong.

Edit 1 - Deleted the video link...I was doing something wrong...only took me two days on my own to figure it out...that is why I need detailed instruction manuals.

{Deleted video link}

• Erik Lugris likes this

#71 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Couple of other things, there are a lot more forces that are not exposed to the user interface including, Drag (friction on the ball in flight) Gravity a force acting on the ball vertically downwards, Magnus effect providing lift based on spin etc.

Drag and Magnus effect would explain the short 'hang time' of the shots.  Can those be tweaked for a more floating ball flight?  How can the slow creeping rolling ball be fixed. (roll friction and gravity?)   :huh:

I've been hitting low quarter swing  iron shots to the green the get the 'check and grab' effect. It looks really good but the roll friction is messed up or something.  The best effect is with roll friction between  0.7 and 1.  At low roll friction the slowing of the rolling ball should be cranked up exponential?  If I putt down a tier, the ball doesn't seem to speed up down the slope; it just comes down at the same slow pace.

I could also use a more powerful putter. :)

Maleability:  The amount of spin retained on the ball when it bounces

I find this has very little effect? Even at 1 I can't get the ball to spin back with short iron shot?

• Erik Lugris likes this

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#72 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

Andrew, Thank you for the explainations they were very helpful, appreciate the time spent to provide them.

Did get Fraps to work, had to uninstall and reinstall it. Which brings me to my next question because maybe I'm not doing something right. Below is the URL to a playlist of 7 video's for the PP Alpha Physics Test, each one was taken with the identical settings but with different textures, can't understand why they basically yield the exact same result, so I have to be doing something wrong.

http://www.youtube.c...xlMXWZ72pUEqWXR

Just watched a couple of your vids. Are they stutters on your PC also? When hitting a few shots last night all of them seemed similarly stuttery......is everyone experiencing this, or is my PC not man enough?

@andrew - thanks for releasing to the masses. Really looks promising, and so many ball physical options to help recreate the perfect golf game. Hope to have a greater pay over the coming days. Want to try back spinning an approach back into the cup!!
  • Erik Lugris likes this

#73 Maverick Spirit

Maverick Spirit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

The video's had no stutter on my end.

#74 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

The video's had no stutter on my end.

Was trying them on ipad????

Will boot up PC now!

#75 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:51 PM

Early observations: Graphics are gorgeous! Love the moving water, trees and grasses. At a later date perhaps the clouds will move as well? (Perhaps they already do, just haven't noticed it)

Ball physics: Playing with the settings, I've been able to get some wedge shots to back up on the greens, but the settings were not the default. Wondering if this is because of practice greens firmness setting in the build?

Another observation: balls landing in fairways are mostly only taking 1 big bounce, then perhaps a very small one and then the roll out, which varies depending on settings. Doesn't seem natural to me, there should be 3 or 4 bounces with the longer clubs before the ball settles down for whatever roll it's going to have.
Ken

#76 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

Ball physics: Playing with the settings, I've been able to get some wedge shots to back up on the greens, but the settings were not the default. Wondering if this is because of practice greens firmness setting in the build?

I was also trying to get some green shots spinning back on my first attempt, with little success. I'm going to experiment some more with this, but until the roll friction problem is fixed I'm not sure if too much can be learned from it.

I don't think there is a built in firmness setting other than the default numbers that are set. It is these adjustable parameters that determine the firmness of each terrain type. These numbers are what will be built into a particular texture in the game, and then some or all of these numbers will be modified within the game to simulate different conditions.

Reading a few of the posts in this thread I get the feeling that there is a lack of understanding by many of what this physics build is actually about. People like me, who have already adjusted terrain properties for Links 2003 will have a better understanding, and be more at home with this, but I think the PP team should try to clarify things a little more, and what they would like people to concentrate on that will help the team progress. A lot of the people downloading this are just players, and I think they are seeing this more like a very early game, and becoming confused.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#77 Tigers Agent

Tigers Agent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNext Door.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

Reading a few of the posts in this thread I get the feeling that there is a lack of understanding by many of what this physics build is actually about. People like me, who have already adjusted terrain properties for Links 2003 will have a better understanding, and be more at home with this, but I think the PP team should try to clarify things a little more, and what they would like people to concentrate on that will help the team progress. A lot of the people downloading this are just players, and I think they are seeing this more like a very early game, and becoming confused.

I'm glad you wrote that comment.  I won't waste my time with a report. ;)

#78 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:03 PM

looks good,friction does not seem enough with all set to max,ball still rolls to much off any slope,course looks good with waterfall.

Per my post above, friction has nothing to do with the ball rolling... 

• ✠ davef ✠ likes this

#79 Guest_deena_golf_*

Guest_deena_golf_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:22 AM

It looks absolutely gorgeous - are we really going to gain access to all those parameters in the final game or will those all be hidden away? - I hope not, I hope you make it very technical, or at least give us techies the option of playing the parameters anyway. Good luck to the team - you are aware of the vast numbers of online golf game players elsewhere who remain utterly disenchanted and are looking to you to provide all the answers right?

I just know you're going to succeed because you are taking the physics route, how exciting!!

• Erik Lugris likes this

#80 Forestman

Forestman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:06 AM

Thanks for the opportunity to participate in this Alpha.  So far things look great.  However I was curious if by chance there is going to be higher resolution images used for grass, rocks, trees, etc?

• Erik Lugris likes this

Please support PERFECT GOLF on STEAM --CLICK ON THE LINK TO SUPPORT: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=116796801&searchtext=golf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users