Photo

OnlineGolfTour.net (In-Game Based Tournaments)

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#81 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:01 AM

I understand, but I would say, use the handicap system everywhere except in Tour Pro events.

if they are not going to use them in tour pro then they should pull them all together.as far as i can see handicaps are a subject about like the putting meters you are never going to make everyone happy. here is something else if we all keep trying to tell these folks how to run their site they may get tired of that stuff and just not have a site we can play from. think about it z and jt have spent im sure countless hours of their time putting this together along with the time it takes to maintain it and money im sure someone is spending their money to have this up. i say just go with the flow they are trying to build and lets see where it goes, if you don't agree you don't have to play in it and you could then build your own place to play the way you want it to run.

• scoops100 and Ricky Proffer like this

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#82 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:16 AM

There is no reason why tours cannot have handicap level events at tour pro level and also non handicap events at the same level. It's up to the tours themselves to decide what is best and it's probably best discussed on their dedicated forum.

• IanD likes this

#83 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:35 AM

I think that the handicaps are evening itself out on the long run. The possible 8 strokes difference will not be standard for most of the players. So in the end it will not be that big of a factor.

Maybe they could play the Majors (i hope we will see some down the road in the Season) without handicaps. So it will be assured that the lowest 72 holes-score wins.

• JTee1 likes this

#84 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 11:03 AM

it's probably best discussed on their dedicated forum.

i agree 100% with this. but it wont happen just human nature people are (and please no one take this the wrong way ) lazy and don't want to have to go to other sites to read this stuff. when TWO was up and i was an admin for the Caddyshack group the onsite group had grown to over 10,000 people. we had a website with monthly 4 round events ,team events, ladders,and supplied teamspeak the most people we had registered on our site was maybe 120 and that site was much more user friendly then the OGT site is and we still could not get any more then that involved. hence the reason i have brought up  a number of times a dedicated forum and place here for outside groups. to keep all happy and a place to recruit new players from. you guys are flying the mothership here and i believe that would be the best way to keep the outside groups business  from cluttering up the main forum here.

just my take on things

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

Klipsch Sound System

#85 scoops100

scoops100

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:20 PM

if they are not going to use them in tour pro then they should pull them all together.as far as i can see handicaps are a subject about like the putting meters you are never going to make everyone happy. here is something else if we all keep trying to tell these folks how to run their site they may get tired of that stuff and just not have a site we can play from. think about it z and jt have spent im sure countless hours of their time putting this together along with the time it takes to maintain it and money im sure someone is spending their money to have this up. i say just go with the flow they are trying to build and lets see where it goes, if you don't agree you don't have to play in it and you could then build your own place to play the way you want it to 

absolutely spot on davefv92c

• HeNs likes this

#86 Reynhardt_p2

Reynhardt_p2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:46 AM

if they are not going to use them in tour pro then they should pull them all together.as far as i can see handicaps are a subject about like the putting meters you are never going to make everyone happy. here is something else if we all keep trying to tell these folks how to run their site they may get tired of that stuff and just not have a site we can play from. think about it z and jt have spent im sure countless hours of their time putting this together along with the time it takes to maintain it and money im sure someone is spending their money to have this up. i say just go with the flow they are trying to build and lets see where it goes, if you don't agree you don't have to play in it and you could then build your own place to play the way you want it to run.

Jeez Dave, why so antagonistic? I just wanted to know why the handicap system is used at the highest level. If you look at golf IRL there is a handicap system everywhere except when it comes to the tour pros. There every player has one set of clubs and a caddy and they compete to see who comes out on top. If OGT want to use handicaps then that's fine, but I just thought there should also be tournaments where everything is stripped away.....you know...like a real PGA tour event.

#87 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:14 PM

If OGT want to use handicaps then that's fine, but I just thought there should also be tournaments where everything is stripped away.....you know...like a real PGA tour event.

There are. Every week, you will have your regular handicapped tour event and also non-handicapped event. This week we added the scarecrow exhibition to go along with your regularly scheduled event.

#88 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:21 PM

Jeez Dave, why so antagonistic? I just wanted to know why the handicap system is used at the highest level. If you look at golf IRL there is a handicap system everywhere except when it comes to the tour pros. There every player has one set of clubs and a caddy and they compete to see who comes out on top. If OGT want to use handicaps then that's fine, but I just thought there should also be tournaments where everything is stripped away.....you know...like a real PGA tour event.

to be honest i don't believe in handicaps in games like this at all,it is just a game. im playing by OGTs rules and not going to try and get them to change a thing. it is there gig and i will play the way they want it played. thats all

• JayHawker and scoops100 like this

Klipsch Sound System

#89 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:28 AM

In the current Tour Pro tournament a guy is leading the field after the third round although he took 24 strokes more than the guy who is tied first. Sorry to say, but that is ridiculous. He can win if he plays 8 strokes worse than his competitor in the last round. Winning a Tour Pro tournament although needing 32 strokes more in 72 holes?

The guy with the -4 handicap (Gemini) is playing Illinois on tough settings -13 after three rounds. The other guy is 11 over ....  and they are tied for the lead..... . I leave it at that.....   

A handicap range from +1 to -1 would be okay, although i would like Tour Pro tournaments to be played without any handicap. I think the guy with the lowest score should win.

• ✠ davef ✠, Ted_Ball and Crusher like this

#90 JTee1

JTee1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:26 PM

Golf Handicap: 
The Great Equalizer

What is a golf handicap and why should you have one?

A handicap is a unique scoring system that levels the field for players of different abilities by “giving strokes” to the more inexperienced golfer. Without it, it wouldn’t be much fun for the rookie golfer to go up against better players.

It also makes it possible to compare scores when competing from different tees or even when women are playing against men.

Deducting your handicap from the actual number of strokes you took (= gross score) gives you your net score. 

A golf handicap makes it fair play!

How do you get a handicap?

Handicap most commonly refers to handicap index, issued by the USGA (or its European counterpart, the R&A).

You submit your scores (for 9 or 18 holes) through one of the following options:

By handing your score cards over to the golf handicap committee of your club
By entering your score online
The USGA then uses a formula on the best 10 scores of your last 20 rounds to determine your handicap index. 

How do you use your handicap index?

Your playing ability is only part of what determines your score. The difficulty of the course you are playing makes up the other part. Some courses are longer, some have more hazards and some have rough weather to deal with. Course rating and slope indicate how hard a course is to play.

Having a set number of handicap strokes would not make up for those added difficulties. That’s why you need to translate your index into a course handicap. This will give you the correct amount of strokes you can deduct on a particular course.

It’s easy to do: most courses have charts that will show you the corresponding course handicap for your handicap index.

What if you’re new and don’t have a handicap index yet? No problem, use the maximum handicap index of 40.4 for women (36.4 for men). 

Do you really need a handicap?

No, of course not. As a matter of fact most recreational golfers never get one, because they never play in competitions. There are a few other benefits to having one, though:
It’s an indication of your level of play, regardless of the course you’re on.
It’s a great incentive to improve your game: because it’s based on your best 10 scores it’s a reflection of your potential, not your average score or strokes over par.
Some golf courses, especially in Europe, require proof of golf handicap before letting you on the course. Keep that in mind when planning your golf resort getaway!

#91 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 01:55 AM

PG Saw Grass Challenge 11/4-11/11

2 Rounds at Florida Glades CC
Challenge Tees
Pro difficulty
Non-handicap

Open to all OGT Tour members

Discussions here:

• robbiet71 likes this

#92 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:34 AM

In the current Tour Pro tournament a guy is leading the field after the third round although he took 24 strokes more than the guy who is tied first. Sorry to say, but that is ridiculous. He can win if he plays 8 strokes worse than his competitor in the last round. Winning a Tour Pro tournament although needing 32 strokes more in 72 holes?

The guy with the -4 handicap (Gemini) is playing Illinois on tough settings -13 after three rounds. The other guy is 11 over ....  and they are tied for the lead..... . I leave it at that.....   

A handicap range from +1 to -1 would be okay, although i would like Tour Pro tournaments to be played without any handicap. I think the guy with the lowest score should win.

For future reference for other tour site creators.  Don't have a handi-cap system. It's ludicrous.  Have all levels of tournaments so each person has an equal chance in their skill level. 

Once a person is in the top five of a tournament he/she gets moved to the next higher level. So forth and so on.

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#93 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:27 AM

I am getting tired of deleting posts from all parties that have little purpose what so ever as it relates to the actual running of tournaments and events. 

• Fairwayman likes this

#94 Tigers Agent

Tigers Agent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNext Door.

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:47 AM

I am getting tired of deleting posts from all parties that have little purpose what so ever as it relates to the actual running of tournaments and events.

IMO I believe you should be deleting the source. cause and effect.

• Perculator and HeNs like this

#95 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:45 PM

For future reference for other tour site creators.  Don't have a handi-cap system. It's ludicrous.  Have all levels of tournaments so each person has an equal chance in their skill level. 

Once a person is in the top five of a tournament he/she gets moved to the next higher level. So forth and so on.

While I'm not sure it's your job to advise any tour site creators... I think it's perfectly fine to have a handicap system.  In your example you're effectively doing the same thing by grouping players based on their average scores.  You're just not calling it a handicap system.

Either way - it's ultimately up to the tour admins to decide how they want to run it.  If enough people like it then they'll succeed.  If enough people don't like it, they'll fail.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#96 pete

pete

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:14 AM

Jtee1      thx  for  all your  work to get  it  up and  running   I have  signed  and  registered  for  a tourney  but  still waiting for  confirmation to get my steam username link up, I have  sent  you a email with the  info hopefully it  has  worked

#97 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:31 AM

Jtee1      thx  for  all your  work to get  it  up and  running   I have  signed  and  registered  for  a tourney  but  still waiting for  confirmation to get my steam username link up, I have  sent  you a email with the  info hopefully it  has  worked

PM me your OGT username and URL to your Steam profile page.

#98 pete

pete

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:12 AM

thx  sent  pm  to you with the details

#99 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 11:29 PM

This week's OGT PG CTP (closest to pin) Contests are now open for play.

http://www.onlinegol...63&p=5354#p5330

#100 pete

pete

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:41 AM

question  I have registered  for  a tourney   open up perfect  golf   go to the tournament  section  the  game is listed  there  but it  say iam disqualified?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users