91 replies to this topic

#41 yesrushdt

yesrushdt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:22 PM

The course is nearing completion. If anyone wants to give it a test please do. (This is v2)

There is a human character on a couple of holes. He will be removed at a later date.

https://www.dropbox....ub (2).zip?dl=0

Much thanks Ian.  I'll try testing it out this afternoon.  I'll probably hit that guy near the tee box as far right as I need to aim to find a fairway. :)

• IanK likes this

#42 cockneysteve

cockneysteve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Locationhttps://t.me/pump_upp

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:33 PM

Great stuff Ian.

Am I correct in thinking that you had no previous course layout experience in Links or TW before jumping into Course forge?

If so, it bodes well for others being able to produce great courses regardless of experience when it's eventually released.

Very good point you make Remers, I was thinking the same thing.

I too would like to start designing even though i`ve had no previous experience.

I have read endless Unity tutorials and read various post`s from this forum,and have started playing around with Unity and think I may be able with time and patience to actually create something.

Like many, i guess, I used Shimonko`s tutorial to import the raw file and image file into Unity as practice and had no problem, was a great tutorial and a straight forward process.

How do you get to the Raw file and image file is the problem i`m having. It looks to me like importing real terrain in would be a better way to go.

I read another tutorial on here I think by Rob who started off in Sketchup using Google Earth then Rhino etc etc....Surely there must be an easier way than this ?

Sorry to get off topic Ian.

#43 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:38 PM

See no problem with the fence. It's not unusual for courses to stage the first and occasionally the 10th hole. Do think a flower garden around the perimeter might improve the overall look though. ;)

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#44 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:46 PM

Yes, Indeed I have played Lewes. Great views from up there on the Downs. :)

I was a member at Hollingbury, as a junior, and more recently East Brighton. I might tackle one of these courses next.

I´m swedish but I was called "a bloody student" for 3 consecutive summers , when I spend my summer feries there :)

Lived two years with some folks close to Preston Park, so my landlord took me to Hollingbury once and I cadied for him there

3rd Year  I staid with another family .... in Saltdean ... only pich and put that summer  .... This was in the early 80'ies

Thanks for the course , I have it for a spin .... I never Beta tested for PG before .... Something in particular you like me to have a look at ?

• IanK likes this

#45 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:56 PM

I´m swedish but I was called "a bloody student" for 3 consecutive summers , when I spend my summer feries there :)
Lived two years with some folks close to Preston Park, so my landlord took me to Hollingbury once and I cadied for him there
3rd Year  I staid with another family .... in Saltdean ... only pich and put that summer  .... This was in the early 80'ies

Thanks for the course , I have it for a spin .... I never Beta tested for PG before .... Something in particular you like me to have a look at ?

I live in Saltdean! Strange coincidence indeed. We love students in Brighton! We have to because the town is flooded with them two or three times a year.
Hollingbury used to be a very good and long course in the early 20th century. It's changed quite a bit over the last 15 years, with a new clubhouse and routing.
I hope you enjoy the course. Please just give me your overall thoughts and suggestions. Thank you.

Ian
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#46 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:46 PM

IanK ... I send you a PM

• IanK likes this

#47 jcolton31

jcolton31

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:22 AM

Fence looks nice, but what would be the real world purpose of a fence like that? To keep people from walking over the grass? To keep fellow golfers at safe distance away?

#48 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:56 AM

Fence looks nice, but what would be the real world purpose of a fence like that? To keep people from walking over the grass? To keep fellow golfers at safe distance away?

To help prevent golfers falling 100 feet to their death! It's on the edge of a cliff!
  • mebby likes this
WWG1WGA

#49 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:46 PM

To help prevent golfers falling 100 feet to their death! It's on the edge of a cliff!

LOL!  Anyone ever play (or see) Pebble Beach?  There's a nice fence on the 18th tee box for this very reason.  I've got a picture of me and my buddies sitting on the fence somewhere...  I'll try to find it.

• RobC and IanK like this

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#50 trailblazergolf

trailblazergolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:02 PM

i am so impressed with the brilance of the new courses--and the detail --!!!!! :)

• IanK likes this

#51 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:24 PM

i am so impressed with the brilance of the new courses--and the detail --!!!!! :)

Agree.  I love this one!  I found the sound script particularly nice and it was a very relaxing and beautiful course to play!  The first two holes kinda lull you into thinking you're gonna rip the course apart but slowly, it fights back!

• IanK likes this

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#52 poreboybill

poreboybill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLexington, Ky

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:45 PM

:D Great fun! Gorgeous course

#53 yesrushdt

yesrushdt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:38 AM

The first two holes kinda lull you into thinking you're gonna rip the course apart but slowly, it fights back!

Yep, if you're not on your game the back 9 can rip you apart. :P  Excellent course.

#54 slouis

slouis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:02 AM

Thank you and congratulations on another beautiful course.  I am as impressed with this one as I was with Downland G.C.  Hard to believe that you are a rookie when it comes to course design.  Some very interesting holes, especially the 14th and the 18th.  We have a local course that also has a tree in the middle of the fairway but not as far down as the one on the 14th.  I played the 14th with unlimited mulligans to determine how to deal with that tree.  It is about 240 yards out so I couldn't go over it so it was either draw or fade around it.  On one attempt I thought I had cleared it on the right.  Visually it looked like it was maybe 3 or 4 yards to the right of any branches but it still hit "something" with the ball dropping to the ground.  That was the only anomaly I found in playing the course.

The 18th is a very interesting layout. It would be very difficult to hit and hold the green in two given that you would probably be hitting a fairway wood or hybrid for your approach shot.  It would be a risky shot in that with the close proximity of the water, any kind of pull and your wet.  Picking a target just to the right of the green seems to be the smart play.

Both your courses have a real world atmosphere to them which I really like and I noticed the English farmland in the distance.  The only odd thing was the guy on the first tee but I understand you will be removing him before he gets drilled. 

I look forward to your future course designs.  Downland G.C. and Coastal Lakes are already two of my favourites.

RTSM - Pro

#55 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:53 AM

Thank you very much for your kind comments chaps. I can confirm that the annoying character on the first tee walked over to the jetty on the beach and now stares out to sea. I've also removed the blimp and the large tree that was partially obscuring the fairway from the tee on the 12th. You still require a slight fade or a 'tiger' line to hold the fairway though.
Regarding the tree on the 14th, I wanted to create a smallish landing area to the right of the tree and the bunkers, but this would give a line to the green avoiding the bunkers to the left of the green. The best way to find this area I've found is to attempt a high draw.
The tree just to the left of the 14th tee seems to have an invisible collision area larger than the visible branches. I will change the offending tree.
I've played the 18th many times and I've managed to hold the green with my second shot a few times. The green slopes upwards from that angle of approach and helps pull the ball up quite sharply enabling you to putt for a finishing eagle.
I've made a few other small changes and cosmetic enhancements in the latest version (v3) which I will post today.
Please keep the comments and suggestions coming.
WWG1WGA

#56 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:17 AM

Very nice work so far mate

Downloading now, will give it a play and give you some feedback

Thanks 

Stephen

#57 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:28 AM

Very nice work so far mate

Downloading now, will give it a play and give you some feedback

Thanks 

Stephen

I hope you enjoy it Stephen. I'm just getting ready to release the latest version (v3). Can't stop tampering with it!!! :rolleyes:  The course that is.

WWG1WGA

#58 slouis

slouis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:39 PM

Ian, are you going to release V3 to OGT or will you be posting the link to this forum?  Thanks.

RTSM - Pro

#59 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:24 PM

Ian, are you going to release V3 to OGT or will you be posting the link to this forum?  Thanks.

Hello slouis, I'm going to release v3 on this thread in the next few minutes.

WWG1WGA

#60 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:27 PM

(....keeps hitting Refresh....)

• IanK likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic