63 replies to this topic

#21 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:55 AM

Lets hope the Spain v Netherlands isn't a repeat of their tactics like the last time they met..

#22 Barry

Barry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationNorth London

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:14 PM

I don't think it will be Ian after the slating the dutch got for that game, Just tried to kick Spain of the park because at the time they were to damn good :P

I'm going Spain for the win in this game but a Holland win wouldn't bother me I've always quite like the Dutch ever since those great Dutch teams of the 70's

#23 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

My 45-1 bet tonight is van Persie to score 1st goal and match ends 1-1

;)

#24 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

Well, never expected that from the Dutch... nor the Spanish..!

#25 balaceanca81

balaceanca81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:21 PM

Germany...All the way..,And Holland distroyed Spain today.. ;)

#26 Barry

Barry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationNorth London

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

Come on then fella's lets hear your predictions for England v Italy. I'm one of those people who is very patriotic about our beloved football team and lived with the hope over the past few tournaments that we might have won something, But deep down I've always known we just haven't had enough world class players on the same pitch to trouble the big guns since maybe italia 90.

And even though we do have some really exciting young players included in the current squad I think we'll fall short yet again in this world cup. I will be shocked but very happy if we do pull a win out the bag today but I can't see it I think we'll get a draw but if we do get beat it'll be down to Danny Welbeck probably missing sitters or Glen Johnson being ripped a new one at the other end. Those two shouldn't be anywhere near an England squad imo, But everyone has pet hates in a footie team don't we.

England 1-1 Italy

#27 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:01 PM

Can't predict tonight's result.....but expect us to at least put up a performance. Can't sit and watch us surrender cheap possession and then chase ourselves stupid trying to get it back.

Would like to think Hendersonmay be the catalyst to us getting the ball back more quickly than usual.

I'm a Liverpool fan, but have a sneaky feeling Rooney might be a big influence tonight. He may not be the player he was 6 years ago, but to say he shouldn't be in the XI?

Welbeck and Johnson certainly divide opinion. Let's see their performance tonight before we condemn them...Welbeck has been very effective under Hodgson, and Johnson was our best defender in the last Euros.

As for the Italians......nobody will be able to predict how Ballotelli will play. Pirlo, great as he is, let them worry about us.

COE!

#28 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:12 PM

Good luck to you, Barry, and all other patriot Britishers, tonight.

My two fav English players are the Ox - impressive speed and aggressive drive - and Mr. Lalana, who has Gareth Bale potential imo, but without the hair styler overdose, the wimpish attitude or the silly little heart-fingers jubilation; I hate that last one!

Prediction... Most likely a draw. If a draw, then most likely a 0:0. But you know what? I always side with the underdogs so I'm going to say England win 3:0.

(Of course that would turn an entire country delusional and drunk with ambition, so that their inevitable quarter-final exit would be all the more devastating. It's fun to watch you Brits hope, plea, anticipate, fear, agonize, despair and grieve every two years...Mwah-ha-haaa!  ;) )

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#29 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

Last time England played Italy, they gave Pirlo enough time and space to hold a barbeque for his team mates, whilst passing the ball around. I think if we have someone like Henderson in midfield he will press the ball a lot more and not allow Pirlo the time and space.

Plus, the pitch doesn't sound like a pass master's best friend, lol.

I'm going with my Sky Soccer 6 prediction of 2-1 to England.

;)

#30 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

Aah Barry... I thought you said you very patriotic... ;)

I don't believe it takes world class players, just a team who know their strengths, and understanding of each other. When good players make great teams, then they become better players. But that's simply a philosophy of mine... we've seen great teams over the years in England, in various clubs. We just don't see enough english players within those teams... one day we will..

Gonna go for a greatdisplay tonight.. and a win, but hanging on.. and a late goal.. or two..

England 3 - 0 Italy

#31 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:47 PM

Supposedly, a psychic lion at Bristol Zoo (my local zoo) picked a steak out of the England cardboard box instead of the ones labelled Italy or draw today!

People will think we are mad....they'll be doing it with Octopuses next!

Hang on....what do you mean an Octopus correctly predicted all the results in 2010. :-)

#32 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:43 PM

I'm so out of touch with football these days I didn't even know we were in the World Cup until Thursday night!!  :huh: 

I expect I shall dutifully sit through another shambolic performance, and then be kept up half the night by celebrating Italians driving around honking their car horns, or rioting drunken English fans looting the local sports shop. There's usually trouble here when these two meet, as Bedford has a huge Italian population.

At least I'm never far away from of a good pizza place!!!  :lol: 

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#33 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:15 PM

I think the one thing we English do well is laugh at ourselves. This gave me a titter!!  :lol: 

https://scontent-a-l...033613229_o.jpg

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#34 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

Once more I can dream of glory (for a short while). I suppose I am lucky at least I have seen us win it. Just glad that it will not go to penalties. COME ON ENGLAND!!!

#35 Barry

Barry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationNorth London

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:54 PM

Thought we played well 2nd half but just didn't have the class in the final third, Rooney was absolutely awful only thing he did was the assist for the goal. Our defence worry's me

#36 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:58 AM

Wouldn't be too worried about our defence, this World Cup shows no teams that have played so far have great ones. Plenty of goals show defences are being broken by lots of better attacking football. Good for the neutrals..

We looked good going forward and Sterling had a good game amongst other players who didn't... once the subs happened, we didn't quite gel enough after that. The focus of that game appears to be on one man at present, and whilst I'm loathed to get involved in witch-hunts, we do have other options in other players. Ultimately, the manager decides who plays and where. We simply need a little improvement in that final third against the bigger teams, and a slightly better balance too.

#37 Mav78

Mav78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNewport, Wales

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:24 AM

though england did well, i just wish he would getrid of the rooney and gerrard, their too slow, get the youngsters on!

#38 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

It is really simple to sum up the game, we were outclassed by a better football team

• Mav78 likes this

#39 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

It is really simple to sum up the game, we were outclassed by a better football team

OK, we lost, but we didn't play as bad as we have in previous tournaments. Rooney's shanked corner in the closing minutes summed up his performance, but will Hodgson have the testicles to drop him?

I think we were 'beaten' by a better team. Spain were 'outclassed'.

;)

#40 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:42 PM

Beaten by a slightly better, but more clinical team!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users