Photo

Steam reviews - this is what we are dealing with!

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:55 AM

Lmao...

The first review i read starts off like this....

"I got this game for free as a birthday gift because I have been a fan of games like Mario Golf Toadstool Tour."

It's even been reviewed by a weatherman!

" the wind has no effect if you mis-hit; example: the wind is blowing 22 mph east, I am hitting north, I mis-hit to the left (west) by the smallest bit and my ball goes almost 90 degrees west"

and this one made me laugh..

"I love golf games, and this one is lacking in so many areas. Save your money and get The Golf Club."

it should read.... " I love golf games but  not hitting 100% GiR and FiR sucks, go buy TGC and make yourself look good"

• cajuncapgun likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#2 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationCanvey Island, Essex, UK

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:14 AM

Ah, the general public, bless 'em................

#3 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:50 AM

While it's sad to see some new players slating the game, I think that the UI and lack of instructions is going to be partly to blame for people's frustrations and this will translate into bad reviews. It's difficult enough for people that have been around here forever to have the knowledge needed to setup and play a game correctly, or understand the differences from previous golf titles, but imagine a beginner trying to.

Where are the in-game tutorials explaining the myriad of settings? Where is the guide to explain the overswing and spin, or what the assists actually mean etc? These days many gamers are expecting a pick up and play experience and the UI in this game is far from perfect to enable them to do that easily. A lot of people will dismiss this game for 'faults' that can actually be corrected simply by something in the UI that they didn't realise was even possible, and a better UI and more instructions would have stopped this form happening, IMO.

• Arsam, luetze, Stephen Sullivan and 15 others like this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#4 wim1234

wim1234

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:03 AM

Agree there, Acrilix, for the newcomers good manuals are badly needed.

or a wikipage , whatever, that has all xplanations.

easier also to have consistent answers then.

#5 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:04 AM

I've tried to reassure a few people that the sim season pass is not a requirement (I don't even know what it is).  Some of them don't like DLC either; normally I'd agree, but I have no problem when it comes to extra courses for a golf game.

#6 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:12 AM

I think a lot of people jump too quick when it comes to reviews, instead of giving it time and delving deeper they shank a few balls then run to review.  I will say i was surprised that they chose to release it now, it still needs more polish imo, mostly the UI...maybe they were under pressure from some quarters, as for DLC it annoys me that people jump on this bandwagon as if you must purchase everything to enjoy the game, utter misinformed bullshit that serves no constructive purpose, i bought the new ball but decided against Bethesda for now...do i think i'm i'm losing out...hell no!

• Perculator likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#7 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:34 AM

I think a lot of people jump too quick when it comes to reviews, instead of giving it time and delving deeper they shank a few balls then run to review.  I will say i was surprised that they chose to release it now, it still needs more polish imo, mostly the UI...maybe they were under pressure from some quarters, as for DLC it annoys me that people jump on this bandwagon as if you must purchase everything to enjoy the game, utter misinformed bullshit that serves no constructive purpose, i bought the new ball but decided against Bethesda for now...do i think i'm i'm losing out...hell no!

I haven't bought Bethesda either. I'm hoping that Wentworth might get released to coincide with the PGA tournament. There are courses outside of the U.S. ;)

• Ian, cajuncapgun and remers like this
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#8 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:48 AM

I am surprised of the time of the release as well. Although the game has a lot of value gameplaywise it still has some nagging bugs and is generally rough around the edges. This includes the GUI and the fact that a manual is missing. If you have a game with so many options - which is a very good thing - you better explain within the game how a player can use them. This forum or the steam forum is not enough for that.

Bad reviews are sometimes the result of lacking information. But the customer isn't to blame in this case. A lot of players right now are lacking the patience to explore a game and the possibilities for hours. They want to jump in and have fun right away.

As annoying it is sometimes: you have to cater to the personalities of the customers. If they are “right“ in their approach simply isn't of any relevance.

The most important duty in the next weeks is communication. For the devs but maybe for us fans of game as well. Maybe we can help the newbies to understand some elements of this wonderful game better.

Having the Jack Nicklaus label in the name of the game is a big chance to make the game popular. But that doesn't mean that this alone produces a big success.

But the devs know what they are doing. So i suppose they have a very clear communication or marketing plan in place.
  • Pappy, DivotMaker, Perculator and 2 others like this

#9 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:57 AM

Yeah I was surprised too.  I also expect to see a lot of negative reviews regarding the AI players, lack of in-depth stat tracking, and the inability to easily play offline.  

While it's sad to see some new players slating the game, I think that the UI and lack of instructions is going to be partly to blame for people's frustrations and this will translate into bad reviews. It's difficult enough for people that have been around here forever to have the knowledge needed to setup and play a game correctly, or understand the differences from previous golf titles, but imagine a beginner trying to.

Where are the in-game tutorials explaining the myriad of settings? Where is the guide to explain the overswing and spin, or what the assists actually mean etc? These days many gamers are expecting a pick up and play experience and the UI in this game is far from perfect to enable them to do that easily. A lot of people will dismiss this game for 'faults' that can actually be corrected simply by something in the UI that they didn't realise was even possible, and a better UI and more instructions would have stopped this form happening, IMO.

Agree as well. 

#10 JoeBradley

JoeBradley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:59 AM

Excellent summary of the situation. Little has changed, with regard to readily accessible info on the game, since I came over to EA PG from Links a few months back. Having been into golf games for many years, I knew not to get impatient during those first frustrating hours of play, got crucial advice early on from online players (thanks Modman!), and persevered to the point where I know my way around most of the game and can play a decent, enjoyable round. But if I had come into PG out of curiosity as a casual golf fan, I think I may also have given up after an hour or two, not realising that strange ball behaviour was due not to bugs but in-built features that I was not aware of. I too am surprised the game has gone mainstream before having a progressive tutorial mode in place like most other games. JNPG needs to attract a wide spectrum of players, not just hardcore, so an elitist approach - by intention or omission - could be damaging in the long run. Yes, some steam reviewers unhelpfully jump to a neg review based on very little gameplay, but imagine turning up for your first real golf lesson, being handed a bagful of clubs and a couple of balls, and told to work your way round a course in under 80 strokes or don't waste my time. Yes, there's the practice range, and Woodie's, and guide notes, but I think the game quickly needs a comprehensive, interactive tutorial mode to build confidence, just like real-life beginner lessons with a buddy or golf pro - driving, putting, chipping, bunker play, course management etc, gradually introducing the subtleties of the game stage by stage. Not a YouTube video tutorial but an in-game feature. Maybe this is in the works, and if so, I'd suggest it needs to get up and running asap. 

• Pappy and wim1234 like this

#11 sandybunker

sandybunker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:02 AM

The sad thing is for a lot of people who write these reviews it wouldn't matter if there's a manual or not. They are the type that generally enjoy dumbed down games where there's little need to use their brain cells and they just want to be immediately gratified without having to learn something.
  • Fairwayman, Pappy, RobV and 1 other like this

I7 3770k

8GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 670

240GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD

#12 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:10 AM

I was a little surprised at the sudden leap to full release, as we had just had 1.3.9.4 release and Andrew added 1.4.0.0 was reserved for the full release, so I expected maybe 1.3.9.5 and even 1.3.9.6 but it's the Devs decision and I still get to play PG, so no harm there.

What it does do is open up the game to all the criticism because of the bugs that still exist and like has been said, lack of easily available detailed instructions to all aspects of the game now that it has gone full release.

Haters will hate, it's the way if the world. It's just laughable sometimes what the reasons behind non recommendations are added to the minimal game play time.

At least they can claim a refund, seeing as many havent even mustered an hour of game play time. But that may be counter productive to their means, as I'd guess if they get a refund, the game is removed from their library thus their review would be removed too.

#13 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:13 AM

I just played a OGT round and it has not registered...i think i want my money back too...grrrr  :D (decent round too, bet i wont replicate it)

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#14 LeazesNDR

LeazesNDR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationSmoggyland UK

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:32 AM

What it does do is open up the game to all the criticism because of the bugs that still exist and like has been said, lack of easily available detailed instructions to all aspects of the game now that it has gone full release.

Yep, thought the game should have stayed EA until Course Forge, Career Mode, More Golfer avatars (Right & Left Handed/men & women) and Manuals were available and fully implemented.

I'm happy as Larry with the game so far though, it will only get better anarl!

#15 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 05 May 2016 - 11:43 AM

hell! i forgot about career mode and female golfers! now i am even more puzzled as to why the sudden release.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#16 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:32 PM

Here's hoping they update the online manual, asap, and add the link to the Home page in the game.

http://ppoffice.clou...x Online Manual

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#17 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:06 PM

I just played a OGT round and it has not registered...i think i want my money back too...grrrr  :D (decent round too, bet i wont replicate it)

Don't replay. I'll find your scores in the log.

#18 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:08 PM

Here's hoping they update the online manual, asap, and add the link to the Home page in the game.

..and perhaps make it a PDF for easier downloading and saving.

• Arsam and Tentpole like this
Posted Image

#19 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:09 PM

Like somebody suggested, in game tutorial is best way. Most people don't read.

#20 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:11 PM

Don't replay. I'll find your scores in the log.

too late i dropped a shot was -6 now -5 Grrr!

Qaaa8vE.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users