Photo

Steam reviews - this is what we are dealing with!

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#21 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:44 PM

Like somebody suggested, in game tutorial is best way. Most people don't read.

Yes, but some of us can and still do  ;)

• Ian likes this
Posted Image

#22 ProFirefighter

ProFirefighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:28 PM

Lmao...

It's even been reviewed by a weatherman!

" the wind has no effect if you mis-hit; example: the wind is blowing 22 mph east, I am hitting north, I mis-hit to the left (west) by the smallest bit and my ball goes almost 90 degrees west"

The weatherman made an accurate observation where they must've been playing on Pro level.

Pro level = "millimeter golf" (you're off by one or two millimeters, and the ball flight is radically altered)

Ah, the general public, bless 'em................

Some are right, some are wrong.

The sad thing is for a lot of people who write these reviews it wouldn't matter if there's a manual or not. They are the type that generally enjoy dumbed down games where there's little need to use their brain cells and they just want to be immediately gratified without having to learn something.

Some people justifiably like the fun of a quick game of golf. This is not "Flight Simulator", nor should it have to be.

Yep, thought the game should have stayed EA until Course Forge, Career Mode ...

Yup. I've played 3 Click/Career Mode exclusively since the L2K3, so I've never really acclimated myself to PG. Got an Xbox One the other day and have been playing EA Sports Rory, back to 3 Click/Career Mode! Plus, the Xbox One does a million other things as well.  :) 

i5-4460 / 8GB DDR3 / 1 TB 7200 RPM / Windows 8.1 / Thermaltake TR2 600W / EVGA GTX 960 FTW

#23 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:07 PM

I think a lot of people jump too quick when it comes to reviews

SO true - I wish Steam wouldn't even let you review until you'd played a game for 10 hours or so minimum

#24 footslogger

footslogger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationThailand

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:18 PM

As we all know, this game is in the Links tradition and improves on that game in some important ways BUT Links was much better presented.  The home screen of JNPG is not inviting at all or well thought out and, as others have said, the absence of a manual is lamentable.  Links had an attractive GUI, lots of help links and an overall professional sheen to it; this game looks frankly amateurish until one gets to the actual gameplay.  I fear some users may be discouraged before they get to explore the gameplay in depth. 

#25 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:34 PM

Yeah I was surprised too.  I also expect to see a lot of negative reviews regarding the AI players, lack of in-depth stat tracking, and the inability to easily play offline.  

Agree as well.

I'm surprised, too. "The game is still in EA" will not work anymore to explain missing features or lack of polish.

#26 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:35 PM

Haters will hate, it's the way if the world. It's just laughable sometimes what the reasons behind non recommendations are added to the minimal game play time.

At least they can claim a refund, seeing as many havent even mustered an hour of game play time. But that may be counter productive to their means, as I'd guess if they get a refund, the game is removed from their library thus their review would be removed too.

Unfortunately this is not the way it works, even though they get a refund their review stays which is nonsensical to me - go figure.

#27 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:44 PM

I can't even stomach the conversations on Steam...

It's just a fast moving river of essentially unmoderated, wild west style shoot 'em up, hate on games, people, devs, etc..

• Richard likes this

#28 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:56 PM

It is a hostile place especially for niche games. If we made a course called 'Zombie Apocalypse C.C.'  our 'rating' would probably soar!

• Richard and Crow357 like this

#29 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:57 PM

After day of launch, 1 guy who doesn't appear to have JNPG, keeps commenting on my review calling me a shill.  I've been deleting them.  Didn't see a way to report it.

This person had some kind of VAC Ban and Game Ban.....lol

#30 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:01 PM

What gets me is how united the haters are in supporting each other.  I noticed that just about all of the "Not Recommended" reviews that have been published in the last few days, even those with less than an hour of playtime to their credit, get at least 75% of people find this review helpful status... from an average of at least 3 dozen respondents.  Even the one that simply said "not the worst golf game but close" got a 68% of people find this helpful.... SMH  :rolleyes:

Oh, and to make matters worse, this same legion of haters who are giving "helpful" ratings to the Not Recommended reviews, are going out of their way to poop on the Recommended reviews with an obligatory "Not Helpful" rating.  All of the four paragraph and longer reviews I was tracking have dropped 15 to 20% in the percentage of people who found this review helpful in the last two days, including my own, which went from 78% to 54%, with 19, "Not Helpful" statuses in a row.... unbelievable, what a sad commentary on the human condition. :(

• DivotMaker likes this

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#31 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:42 PM

It is a hostile place especially for niche games. If we made a course called 'Zombie Apocalypse C.C.'  our 'rating' would probably soar!

now theres an idea for my next track, thats logged in the brain....mm brains!  downloading zeds from sketchup as we speak.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#32 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:44 PM

What gets me is how united the haters are in supporting each other.  I noticed that just about all of the "Not Recommended" reviews that have been published in the last few days, even those with less than an hour of playtime to their credit, get at least 75% of people find this review helpful status... from an average of at least 3 dozen respondents.  Even the one that simply said "not the worst golf game but close" got a 68% of people find this helpful.... SMH  :rolleyes:

Oh, and to make matters worse, this same legion of haters who are giving "helpful" ratings to the Not Recommended reviews, are going out of their way to poop on the Recommended reviews with an obligatory "Not Helpful" rating.  All of the four paragraph and longer reviews I was tracking have dropped 15 to 20% in the percentage of people who found this review helpful in the last two days, including my own, which went from 78% to 54%, with 19, "Not Helpful" statuses in a row.... unbelievable, what a sad commentary on the human condition. :(

Don't worry JCat...

When I eventually post a review, you'll see me get a deluge of "hate", "down votes" and "unhelpful" like no other...

Half the TGC forum is just waiting to pounce on a PG review from me.

;)

#33 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:01 PM

Don't worry JCat...

When I eventually post a review, you'll see me get a deluge of "hate", "down votes" and "unhelpful" like no other...

Half the TGC forum is just waiting to pounce on a PG review from me.

;)

Ditto....

PC

Xbox One X

Steam ID: DivotMaker

#34 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:42 PM

This is precisely why I don't even bother reviewing or reading reviews on Steam.  It's useless.  It needs to be moderated in some way.

• Keith likes this

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#35 wim1234

wim1234

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:59 PM

It was to be expected. I think the best consumers will be coming from golfing communities, not from steam.

so i hope the devs send the program to all golfing mags, sites , etc, to be tested.

i do not think you can really appreciate this game if you never played golf yourself.

i experimented a bit and can send awesome low skimmers over the course, like in old style links golf, love that.

#36 tlvx

tlvx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:04 PM

Unfortunately this is not the way it works, even though they get a refund their review stays which is nonsensical to me - go figure.

So, hypothetically; If everyone got a refund, because a game was broken... they shouldn't be allowed to warn other potential victims?

I'll grant you this; Generally guys get refunds because they don't know what they are doing. (I.E. User Error)

But, it's up to the software to be user-friendly enough... to walk the player through all of their available setup options.

There are always going to be biased reviews, both critical and glowing.

But, there are plenty of Steam games with, "Overwhelmingly Positive," reviews. So, it's not like it's impossible for a game to succeed in to tapping into the pulse of a given target market.

#37 tlvx

tlvx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:10 PM

Whether it seems ridiculous or not... the developer should always provide content that they think their market wants.

Having fantasy or arcade modes, shouldn't take away from the Simulation modes.

This game, however, is lacking a true tutorial mode, that would indicate distance in a more straightforward manner. (I.E. A Flag Indicator on the Full Swing Meter)

So, unless guys are willing to buy into the inherent steep learning curve of this game... we should continue to expect a certain portion of players to give up, early on.

#38 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:18 PM

People seem to want to be spoon fed everything nowadays. If they can't work out how to play a game in half an hour they loose interest.
Personally, I prefer to explore a game and find out things for myself. Even in the old days when games came with a printed manual I always preferred to delve into the game first and refer to the manual if all else failed.
  • wim1234 likes this
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#39 dlocke1962

dlocke1962

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 08:30 PM

Oh OH OH PLEASE PLEASE make that course!!!! Also can you use 8bit graphics, If you give me access to CF I will attempt to make the Zombie Apocalypse C.C. :-)

• Crow357 likes this

#40 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:07 PM

Oh OH OH PLEASE PLEASE make that course!!!! Also can you use 8bit graphics, If you give me access to CF I will attempt to make the Zombie Apocalypse C.C. :-)

hands off thats my baby!

Qaaa8vE.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users