• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#61 Fistful of Steel

Fistful of Steel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:35 PM

Once course forge is out the door in a couple of weeks (I hope) we are going to focus on the following items

1) Full Mocap animations with multiple characters and more animations that make the game more involving

2) A complete UI redesign with Consoles in mind

3) XBOX One Port

4) Career Mode

We are hopefully going to be doing these in tandem rather than one after the other.

One of the interesting things about the new XBOX SDK is the ability to integrate windows 10 and XBOX into the same Microsoft Live online world

5.  HTC Vive & Oculus Rift integration?

Pretty please?

#62 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:39 PM

Just curious since I don't have a prayer of getting a machine powerful enough for a Rift, does it not have the ability to just show whatever game your playing on its screens or does the game specifically have to have some kind if Rift API turned on?
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#63 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:09 PM

Looking forward to to playing J.N.P.G. on X.Box one in the very near future, great news . Excited is not the word .

I hope that there are at least 40,000 other XBox One gamers out there like you.  I'm about 99.99% positive that XBox One and PC players are going to be able to play each other head-to-head online, and play in the same online tournaments together.  That will broaden the competitive opportunities for players seeking to play online.  Who knows, they may eventually figure out a way to work the PS4 version's players into the head-to-head and online tournament world with PC and XBox One players.  If Psyonix can pull off simultaneous multiplayer play between XBox One, PC, and PS4 players in a real time action game like Rocket League, I don't see where a more pastoral sport like golf couldn't find itself in that three platform cross-play mode!

• MERACE and Moggy like this

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#64 wim1234

wim1234

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 06:02 PM

Ofcourse it can be done, but there might be needed a live pass...no idea if thats common on the consoles.

and what about the usercourses...some obstacles need to be cleared there, but i bet its possible.

#65 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 12 May 2016 - 06:57 PM

Ofcourse it can be done, but there might be needed a live pass...no idea if thats common on the consoles.

and what about the usercourses...some obstacles need to be cleared there, but i bet its possible.

I'm not going to worry too much about cross-platform play on three different platforms right just yet; I'm more anxious to simply see JBPG get properly ported to the XB1 and PS4.  It sounds like they may have already dove into the XB1 version since Andrew Jones has made a comment about how 'easy it is to integrate Windows 10 and XBox into the same Microsoft Live online world using the new XBox SDK.'  

As far as the PS4 version goes, we see that they've applied for a Playstation SDK.  I've read estimates on how long it will take to port JNPG to PS4 from a month to a year, once they get the kit in hand.  The common ground between all three of them is probably the most important one, and that's Unity 5.  I know they're still focused on getting the PC version fully fleshed out and I'd rather see them get it up to their ultimate vision for the game before they get serious about console ports.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#66 Fistful of Steel

Fistful of Steel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 04:18 PM

Just curious since I don't have a prayer of getting a machine powerful enough for a Rift, does it not have the ability to just show whatever game your playing on its screens or does the game specifically have to have some kind if Rift API turned on?

Yes, you can get programs like Virtual Desktop where you can play any standard game and view thru the headset. I've played a bit of Perfect Golf on it, kinda cool but I prefer monitor play. Now if they had full support where I can look around 360 degrees and use the Vive wands as my club that would be epic.

• Crow357 likes this

#67 marts30

marts30

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:35 AM

Glad to hear about the UI redesign, not that it's bad currently, but could look a lot more modern.

The other main issue for me is how the golfer reacts to the surface/lie. Still a lot of funky looking shots/stances and overall clipping which I think needs quite a bit of polish, but it's not a huge rush.

#68 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:45 PM

A discussion broke out elsewhere about the folks sitting back and waiting for the console versions of JNPG to arrive.  I'd already gotten the impression that the "coming out party" for JNPG a few weeks back was a short-lived and low profile one.  Then I got to thinking, 'well, on the PC front, the game has been around in Early Access status for over 15 months, as "Perfect Golf".'  When it attained "release" status as "Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf", I don't think it caught nearly as many people's attention as a "new product", as I thought it might.  It wasn't "new" in this market's eyes.

Meanwhile, in more console oriented gaming forums, the recent more tangible news of an XBox One, and later a PS4 version of JNPG is arousing more curiosity amongst an untapped market.  I've shown JNPG to over a half dozen friends of mine who are golfers and gamers (to varying degrees) on my slightly better than average gaming PC/Home Theater setup.  They were all very impressed with it and almost evenly split between Real Time Mouse and Real Time Controller swings.  Surprisingly, none of them expressed an interest in beefing up their PC's (all but two of them are laptoppers only) or buying a PC to play it, especially after I told them that a XB1 and PS4 version were coming later.  They say don't want to hassle with getting and keeping their PCs up to spec to play it, when they can get a console version and not have to do anything more than worry about powering up their console.

All of this left me to wonder how typical this is of the 50 to 65 year old set.  If it is fairly typical, it bodes well for Perfect Parallel, I'd say.  One thing that has surprised me is how many people of my generation have latched onto consoles, at least in my experience, since the advent of the XBox 360 and PS3, and it's gotten even heavier in the XB1/PS4 era.

• MERACE likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#69 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:55 PM

Would it be possible for RTS-M to be played on a console?  

The USB ports are there so it might not be the craziest idea.  

Sitting on the couch with a large wooden TV tray and playing RTS-M on the big screen... I'd give it a try haha

#70 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:51 PM

All of this left me to wonder how typical this is of the 50 to 65 year old set.  If it is fairly typical, it bodes well for Perfect Parallel, I'd say.  One thing that has surprised me is how many people of my generation have latched onto consoles, at least in my experience, since the advent of the XBox 360 and PS3, and it's gotten even heavier in the XB1/PS4 era.

Well I fall into that group of primarily console game players.  I got tired of the upgrade routine with PC's and jumped on the console bandwagon.  Also, working all day on a computer leaves me less than inclined to play games on it.

As I think you've stated before, there is more of a "plug and play" cohesive element to console gaming that is appealing to many gamers of all ages.  ;)

(Waiting patiently for JNPG to be released for the PS4.  :ph34r: )

-MERACE

• Moggy likes this

#71 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:15 PM

Interesting point about age and platform preference.

I'm 37 and my friends would laugh that I was still playing Links 2003 until recently.  To me golf games simply feel and play better on PCs than consoles.

It would be tough for me to move off of PC to a console for JNPG.  I'm just not a controller golf guy... yet ;)

#72 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:30 AM

Well I fall into that group of primarily console game players.  I got tired of the upgrade routine with PC's and jumped on the console bandwagon.  Also, working all day on a computer leaves me less than inclined to play games on it.

As I think you've stated before, there is more of a "plug and play" cohesive element to console gaming that is appealing to many gamers of all ages.  ;)

(Waiting patiently for JNPG to be released for the PS4.  :ph34r: )

-MERACE

You've aptly brought up the plug & play cohesive element about console gaming, which I think makes it have a stronger identity among its denizens.  People have a frame of reference that they can get their hooks into when you talk about a PS4 or an XBox One, but when you talk about a "PC", it's a more nebulous reference which means a lot of different things to a lot of different people.  I've noticed that a lot of people don't associate gaming with PCs nearly as strongly as they did 18 years ago.

I brought a PC up to gaming snuff in 2009, and it held up pretty well until 2015 in terms of handling games.  The driver update parade was still a bit of a pain, but performance wise, it was still useable.  I upgraded last year primarily because of The Golf Club and iRacing.  I'm amazed at how painless its been so far in terms of drivers and updates.  Then along comes Windows 10 and DirectX 12, and now my PC feels like one of the boys in my entertainment cabinet that contains my PS4, XB1, and XBox 360.  It's a good thing my HT receiver has 4 USB inputs!  :)  I don't think the general public is going to pick up on this though because even the somewhat tech savvy friends of mine who see what I have and appreciate it, aren't interested in taking the relatively few steps it takes to get there, when they can just hit the "XBox" button on their controller and power up their console.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#73 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:38 AM

Interesting point about age and platform preference.

I'm 37 and my friends would laugh that I was still playing Links 2003 until recently.  To me golf games simply feel and play better on PCs than consoles.

It would be tough for me to move off of PC to a console for JNPG.  I'm just not a controller golf guy... yet ;)

You're a bit of an anathema then, both of my sons are in their 20s and they would much rather use a controller when they can.  Neither of them care the least bit about golf, and golf games, but they honor me every Father's day by playing a round of golf with me on one of the consoles.  I tried to get them to play Links 2003 with me using a mouse one year and they refused.  We wound up playing Links 2004 on the original XBox using controllers, and they managed to sit through it.  This year I've told them we'll be playing Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf on Father's Day, although it'll probably be on the PC.  They're okay with that as long as the controllers will work with it, at least that's what they're telling me now.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#74 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:43 AM

Would it be possible for RTS-M to be played on a console?  

The USB ports are there so it might not be the craziest idea.  

Sitting on the couch with a large wooden TV tray and playing RTS-M on the big screen... I'd give it a try haha

I've done it on the PC.. I've got a low coffee table that I can put right beside my racing cockpit and it fits perfectly.  I'm just too heavily invested and absorbed in controller play to know whether it really feels right or not.  I don't think there would be anywhwere near enough demand for mouse support for the console versions in JNPG to justify PP putting any effort into providing it though.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#75 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:55 AM

As late as Feb of this year, MS confirmed that keyboard and mouse support is coming for games on the XB1 so maybe there would be a mouse for PG on the XB1.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#76 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:28 AM

As late as Feb of this year, MS confirmed that keyboard and mouse support is coming for games on the XB1 so maybe there would be a mouse for PG on the XB1.

I can easily see where it would be doable, since the XB1 is now mostly a PC without a mouse and keyboard.  JNPG would be a great fit for it.  If it will bring more people into the JNPG world, I'm all for it

• Moggy likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#77 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:05 PM

A question for prospective console version buyers of JNPG; of the array of video setting sliders found in the PC version of the game are available in the console versions of the game, how likely are you to go in and tweak them?  I'm not really sure what Microsoft and Sony's limits are on what software developers can do with something like this, but I do know that they allow some tweaking of video quality settings from The Golf Club, but nothing on the order of what the PC version of TGC offers, nor anything approaching JNPG's options.

I'd like to have the flexibility because there are certain courses in JNPG where I'll go in dial the settings back a bit to keep my frame rates above 36 FPS, which seems to me to be the minimally acceptable frame rate for controller performance with RTS.  It takes me all of 20 seconds to do this and I really don't mind... I just have to remember to do it *before* I play an online match, otherwise I'm stuck with what I launch with.  

Anyway, just curious as to how many others would utilize video performance slider options in a console golf game?

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#78 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:30 PM

Anyway, just curious as to how many others would utilize video performance slider options in a console golf game?

Personally I hope they optimize for a locked at 30fps experience (minimum) and reduce the settings for graphical tweaking.  That fits in much better with the expectations in the console world (pop & play).

#79 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:22 PM

Personally I hope they optimize for a locked at 30fps experience (minimum) and reduce the settings for graphical tweaking.  That fits in much better with the expectations in the console world (pop & play).

If user created courses are going to be available to the console version players (still can't envision how this can happen with the courses having to be stored on the console's hard drive), if a locked frame rate is the standard, I can see the common denominator being lowered to achieve it.  How about if the game defaulted to 30 FPS (minimum), but then had graphic's setting sliders buried in a sub-menu?  Would that compromise the plug & play attraction of console gaming?  I'm not sure what the answer is at this point...

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#80 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:35 PM

I'm not sure what the answer is at this point...

lol - That's sort of why I'm not sure the point in talking about anything console related right now.

:D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users