Photo

Difficulty levels again...I apologize in advance.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
108 replies to this topic

#21 stopits here

stopits here

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:56 AM

Stop trying to hit 122% shots. Play the game like you would real Golf by using course management and thinking your way around the course. I never hit 122% shots because it is not needed and the risk/reward is too penal as it should be. Learn to play at 100% shots and learn partial % shots if you truly want to move up in the rankings in Tour Pro.

Is that how you played ur  last tournament? your last round was +18 i think?, may be you should drop a few levels? 

#22 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:11 AM

Is that how you played ur  last tournament? your last round was +18 i think?, may be you should drop a few levels? 

Is that how you want to play this? I try to give you some constructive advice and you want to try to criticize me for one really poor round? How did YOU finish the previous PGA tournament? While I played poorly at BWR, where are YOU in the WGR? How did you place in this weeks RTS TOUR? Pretty sure I am not the one needing to drop down a few levels......I will make DAMN SURE I don't ever offer you any help from now on....... :rolleyes:

PC

Xbox One X

Steam ID: DivotMaker

#23 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:17 AM

Stonecomet, you're over-reacting unnecessarily. You didn't offend me. I'm just stating my opinion as an amateur player as I felt you were inaccurate in your general assessment. Why are you using phrases like "call me out". Just ridiculous. You're seeing so many things that aren't there.

• StoneComet likes this

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#24 stopits here

stopits here

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:34 AM

Is that how you want to play this? I try to give you some constructive advice and you want to try to criticize me for one really poor round? How did YOU finish the previous PGA tournament? While I played poorly at BWR, where are YOU in the WGR? How did you place in this weeks RTS TOUR? Pretty sure I am not the one needing to drop down a few levels......I will make DAMN SURE I don't ever offer you any help from now on....... :rolleyes:

You didn't offer any help? i already know 100% shots are easier than 122% shots who wouldn't? its not rocket science is it?

#25 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:51 AM

You didn't offer any help? i already know 100% shots are easier than 122% shots who wouldn't? its not rocket science is it?

I didn't? Then why did you post this

The only little problem i have is, when you start to play the game at beginner and slowly try to go up the difficulty to tour pro,when you finally think your ready for tour/tour pro, you will find (i did anyway) the game is too difficult to play using over swing at 122% (using RTS-C) it takes that aspect of the game away from you, and it's an important part of the game for sticking the greens with a full 122% shot, it's a game changer, specially when playing HARD settings and stimp 14, it's impossible to stick a green without the over swing, i don't know if it's the same for other swing types?, thoughts?

asking for thoughts? I gave you mine and you took a crap on me. And you do NOT need to hit 122% shots to play this game well in ANY conditions. If you would stop attacking others and listen, you might actually get even more good advice here and improve your game. Taking potshots at me isn't going to help you nor anyone else here.

PC

Xbox One X

#26 stopits here

stopits here

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:57 AM

I didn't? Then why did you post this

asking for thoughts? I gave you mine and you took a crap on me. And you do NOT need to hit 122% shots to play this game well in ANY conditions. If you would stop attacking others and listen, you might actually get even more good advice here and improve your game. Taking potshots at me isn't going to help you nor anyone else here.

So you actually agree with me that 122% shots are off limits to tour players?.

#27 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:03 PM

Off limits might be a poor way of wording it. There are certain instances where I'll entire into overswing but it's typically not necessary.

But I will say that it's VERY rare that I'll go for max power. It's almost always easier and more beneficial to just drop down a club.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#28 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:32 PM

No, not what I said at all. You do NOT NEED 122% to play this game well. 122% is there, but you better be able to hit a damn straight and well timed backswing, transition, and downswing to pull it off successfully. I feel 122% is way too much. 110% should be the absolute maximum IMO. I have pulled off a few on the Driving range, but I don't have enough confidence in my own skills to do it all the time and since you do NOT NEED it, why put yourself at risk for a poor outcome? Stop thinking like a video game  player and start thinking like a Golfer in Tour Pro. You have played IRL Golf haven't you?

PC

Xbox One X

#29 stopits here

stopits here

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:05 PM

No, not what I said at all. You do NOT NEED 122% to play this game well. 122% is there, but you better be able to hit a damn straight and well timed backswing, transition, and downswing to pull it off successfully. I feel 122% is way too much. 110% should be the absolute maximum IMO. I have pulled off a few on the Driving range, but I don't have enough confidence in my own skills to do it all the time and since you do NOT NEED it, why put yourself at risk for a poor outcome? Stop thinking like a video game  player and start thinking like a Golfer in Tour Pro. You have played IRL Golf haven't you?

played  golf IRL yes, played golf on video game like i play golf IRL NO NEVER.

#30 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:31 PM

played  golf IRL yes, played golf on video game like i play golf IRL NO NEVER.

Then quit trying to play Tour Pro and settle on a difficulty that makes you happy you can handle.

PC

Xbox One X

#31 stopits here

stopits here

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:39 PM

Then quit trying to play Tour Pro and settle on a difficulty that makes you happy you can handle.

OK Tim so you are saying you play like a tour pro IRL, and you play video golf the same way you play IRL WOW. good for you.

#32 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:41 PM

My definition of a good golf sim:

- no throwing darts at the pin (check)

- scores in a realistic range (check)

- difficulty of certain strokes is comparable to real life (long game: check; short game: not so much).

I don't want to shoot -8 on average. -3,5 on average was the best score in real life last season on the PGA Tour. Jordan Spieth accomplished that in a season for the ages. So everything under par in the game should be a result of a really well played round. 66 or 65 should be an outlier. We are not even there on Tour Pro. The best players are better than that.

For me this "sim feeling" is totally independent from the difficulty level. If i would score these numbers on amateur level ..... amateur level would be my preferred level. It happens that i sometimes shoot lower on Tour Pro. And i really don't want that feeling to be taken away by dumbing down the hardest difficulty level. Isn't that the reason, we have 5 levels? To give everyone a comfortzone he can play within?

I want chipping, pitching, flopping an putting to be harder to reflect the difficulty of that shots. If the devs could do that by implementing the proper spin reductions for the short shots out of the rough we would have really realistic scoring by the best 30+ players of the game.

#33 stopits here

stopits here

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:00 PM

Tour pro is exactly the right difficulty for me, it's how i play IRL shanking all over the place, beginner/hacker/am is not like i play IRL tour pro is perfect for how i play.

#34 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:02 PM

OK Tim so you are saying you play like a tour pro IRL, and you play video golf the same way you play IRL WOW. good for you.

Sigh....I did not say that either. Since you seem to struggle with reading comprehension, I am through trying to discuss this topic with you.

PC

Xbox One X

#35 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:05 PM

My new preferred method of play MS-H and currently at Amateur level.  :mellow:

I've had it with the current state of 3-C.  I can play a sub par round on a difficult course like Merion East on Tourpro level but I have more confidence in my real life 8 handicap 3-wood than the one in the game.  This is seriously wrong. The current 3-C game is a reflex scoring game loosely based on a real game called golf. 

• Stephen Sullivan likes this

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#36 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:06 PM

Tour pro is exactly the right difficulty for me, it's how i play IRL shanking all over the place, beginner/hacker/am is not like i play IRL tour pro is perfect for how i play.

:rolleyes: Then what was the point of your initial post? LOL......

• Greensboronclion likes this
PC

Xbox One X

#37 stopits here

stopits here

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:51 PM

:rolleyes: Then what was the point of your initial post? LOL......

Sigh....Since you seem to struggle with reading comprehension, I am through trying to discuss this topic with you.

#38 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:03 PM

Sigh....Since you seem to struggle with reading comprehension, I am through trying to discuss this topic with you.

It's really a shame you have to act like this in every Golf forum I have seen you in. Keep it up and no one will bother responding to you.

PC

Xbox One X

#39 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:02 PM

Renaming the difficulty levels would be okay for me - if there would be any evidence that they lead to confusion.

Some of your logic @stoneComet misses the mark imho. You say that more players will play the game, if the hardest difficulty level would be easier. First of all: I don't believe in that logic. And second: Why should PP abandon their approach to create a golf sim just to cater to the ego of players that are competitive (as you say) without being good at the game or willing to invest time to get good? Do we want to go the TGC route to attract players? TGC is already there - we don't need a clone of it.

Problem is: If you cater to those players, you may lose other players. I won't playing the game anymore if Tour Pro would play like Pro in the future. Look at the leaderboards: The scores on Tour Pro already are on the low side if you look at it from a simulation/realism view. On some courses the winning score is around -40 (on Tour Pro). I couldn't bear them being even lower.

For me some elements of the game should even be harder. Not artificially harder, but realistically harder. Scrambling is too easy, putting stats are insanely low. I am all for realism. And as long as the best players in the game are shooting 2-3 strokes per round better than the best players in the world (and that is a lot!!) i would even say that there is room to tighten up the Tour Pro difficulty.

You make some very good points and this thread has gotten out of control. In the first place it's just my opinion. No one has to do anything. Other members of this community have brought this subject up before so there are other people besides me that share my perception that others do not have about the current naming convention, like yourself. I am not saying they will sell more games if they where to change the naming convention. By the way after a good nights sleep I'm thinking it's too late to change which is a shame from my perspective. What I was suggesting is that a more neutral naming convention that was obviously about difficulty levels would most likely help retain a few more customers over time. That can translate into more cash for additional content. I'm here today to try to make some amends and then move on again. I just felt some of the direct responses toward me would should be responded to out of civility.

As to difficulty levels. You've been at it longer than I have, I believe. When I refer to difficulty it's always through the lens of not only RTSC but with an Xbox One Controller and as a relatively new player.

I suspect that it depends on what controller a player is using. I've put some time into playing and practicing at PRO and while it seems I make small improvements there are times when what I feel like I'm doing right no longer works. I'm even starting to compensate some for my slice as some have suggested. You'll find that my opinions will evolve over time. I at first thought that if I kept putting time into it I'd see some form of improvement. I've seen a little but not much. I'm still determined to keep at it but I might have to settle for Amateur which is disheartening as it seems too easy. I do like to play tournaments so custom difficulties are out.

The players that play at Tour Pro are on a whole other level and that is fine. I'll be perfectly happy if I can at least master Pro difficulty. My concern as a general consumer, not out of personal preference at all, is for the survive-ability of the game. It's just an observation that causes me some concern for the developers. I'm not a developer so I'll leave it up to them to decide if my concerns have merit. The community is of course welcome to respond with their concerns.

If the players that now play at Tour Pro level think it's in their best interest to make that level more difficult then more power to them. My main concern now is Pro level. I think there is some room there to make it slightly easier or at least start working on controller parity. I've seen comments that state that controller is easier than MS. For me it is but the scores at OGT do not seem to bear that out, you being the one of the exceptions. I think that is more of a function of so few controller players. We won't be able to make real informed decisions until we have more controller players. How many of us are there anyways? Not many is my perception.

I'm not saying we cater to the TGC crowd or the game. I'm saying we can look at that model and learn some things. I'm sure they do this already. I hope in the long run it all works out. I think it will, but don't be surprised if some adjustments are made down the road after or just before console release. Well, enough said. Have a good day.

• frank70 likes this

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

#40 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:30 PM

Stonecomet, you're over-reacting unnecessarily. You didn't offend me. I'm just stating my opinion as an amateur player as I felt you were inaccurate in your general assessment. Why are you using phrases like "call me out". Just ridiculous. You're seeing so many things that aren't there.

Perhaps you are correct. Sometimes I do over-react. Your final statement:

Unlike some, I don't try to speak for everyone or even most people but I bet I'm far from alone in what I've said.

I consider that calling me out. If you review my post history I try to avoid speaking directly at or to a forum member unless it's a civil exchange. You want to walk back and say you were not offended then fine. You seemed offended to me, that's basically what the last statement implies. If I see an opinion I disagree with I try and state my case without referring to (calling out) another member of the community. There are times when I feel it's appropriate to do so. I will at times respond directly to a comment directed at me. Like this one. You can, of course, interact in the forum how you see fit.

An example of a response to my post with your concerns without referring to me directly:

"I'm an Amateur player that enjoys playing at that level and enjoys competition. I do not believe that "most" Amateur players have little interest in competitions or take the game less seriously than other players if I am any indication."

You felt you needed to respond directly with phrases like "your perceived wisdom" and with a highlight of the passage that you disagreed with. So yeah, you called me out. And you did it again by calling my opinions ridiculous. Really, your not offended. I really do not have the time to respond to these types of commentary. Let's just part ways and leave it at that. Fair enough?

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users