Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:35 PM

Thanks Brendan. Welcome. 

Sorry about the sign on fiasco. I'll get my team onto it pronto. Heads will roll. (spoken in Basil Fawlty voice)

Ah. Ballyneal

#42 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:35 AM

BAREMembers...

If you play at home before your opponents, please nominate which person you want the match to be against so I can put the score in the right box.

Score form updated.

#43 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:49 AM

Well what a great day out at Club Schwarzwald. The greens were top class and that putting was a lot of fun. I had a 'real' fist pump on 15.

I'll have you know that Art Crow moonlights as a top course architect and has had the vision to dig in yardage poles at the Schwarz. That makes a profound difference to BAREgolf. I listed my clubs with yardages and made decisions based on an actual reading of the distance from the yardage pole. I was happy with my choices and that is basically all I would need for long yardages. I even saw a hole info board on the 1st tee. Important info for BAREs that.

Anyway, I shot an 84 with a +3 on the back nine. Out of the sand for an eagle on the last.

A beautiful course at 3pm Art and enjoyed every minute (apart from a couple of minutes).

• Crow357 likes this

#44 Brendan

Brendan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:24 PM

ok that was fun - much better than i expected

1 under on the first 9 :) for a 35, two birdies and a bogey. Not a single par on the back, 5 bogeys, two doubles and two birdies for a 77. Fairways 64 and greens 67. Averaged 2 putts per hole and 2.25 per green in reg.

really good experience, thanks Ted

Brendan

Admin for OGT fun tourneys

#45 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:38 PM

My computer crashed...hard...Windows 10 Anniversary at some point did not like the way I plugged and unplugged my peripherals and whatever else I was doing and the solution for Windows was to un-format  my hard drive. Really...fortunately I had some stuff backed up but I had to format my drive and reinstall everything.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what everyone is doing. We play our home course 2 rounds and every one else 2 rounds at their home course? Do we get screenshots of the round or is it just score submission? How long do we have to complete all the rounds or is it just a chill thing and we eventually get around to a restart?

:huh:

P.S. looks like if I am to have any chance it's with RTSH...this should be very interesting. I am going to use notepad and alt-tab out to make a caddy book. Should start to get my some of my rounds in today.

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

#46 JoeBradley

JoeBradley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:12 PM

Hoping to post images of scorecard here - how do I do that?

OK, figured it out...

#47 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:33 PM

This is a very satisfying way to play and is quickly becoming my favorite.  Completely removing math from the game and having more pressure on the short game and putting was exactly what I was looking for.  I do make a few concessions which would make me a BARE-light player, so my membership application would be torn up immediately.

As mentioned by several people, not having some indication of distance is a bit much.  IRL even the most casual player will have an idea of what club will get to the center of the green.  If there is a better way to do this I haven't found it yet.  

Therefore...For the long game I use F3 (boo hiss) to get a general idea of where the club in my hand will land.  You can't aim in F3 on TourPro anyway, and it's ambiguous enough because there's still no HUD to give you yardage or elevation information.  I quickly look at it once, close it, and scroll/choose my club afterwards.  It takes 3-5 seconds and is faster than looking for a yardage plate if there was one provided. (although I would do that if it were an option).   

There is no F3 on shortgame shots so there's no immersion lost there, and if you are at an awkward distance inside of 75 or so yards, it doesn't really give anything away.  It just zooms past the pin. 

The caddy giving a club that will dunk me in a hazard or fly a green feels like it's artificially adding strokes rather than being realistic.  I like to play fast and play a lot of different courses so having a yardage book or a home course isn't really my thing.  

My other work around is for the wind.  I don't play with shadows or dynamic sky most of the time, so I have to pull up the HUD quickly and glance at the wind indicator then close it.  No peeking at distances or elevation.  It's a necessary evil to "feel" the wind.  If the wind is calm enough or if the next hole is visible, you don't even need to do this.  You can judge the wind based on where the next tee is pointed.

The short game:  I'll pitch most of the time.  The less said about chipping on  TP RTS-M the better.  If the shot type selector could be toggled without showing anything else it would be perfect.  Still no peeking at distance or elevation.  

Putting is so much more realistic without any numbers or arrows on the screen.

You can become very good at the short game and putting without ever using the HUD or the freecam.      

I can't join the BARE club, but the game is a lot of fun with no HUD.   

#48 JoeBradley

JoeBradley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:24 PM

Wow - home-course advantage. Practised quite a bit at Sawgrass, so that's a huge help in BARE. Slow start with 5 bogies in first 7 holes, then picked up on back nine, including a grateful birdie at island green 17th - so easy to score a 5 or more there.

Attached File  FGconds.jpeg   14.27KB   3 downloads

Attached File  FGscA.jpeg   32.16KB   2 downloads

Attached File  FGscB.jpeg   31.09KB   2 downloads

• Ted_Ball likes this

#49 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:53 PM

Wow - home-course advantage. Practised quite a bit at Sawgrass, so that's a huge help in BARE. Slow start with 5 bogies in first 7 holes, then picked up on back nine, including a grateful birdie at island green 17th - so easy to score a 5 or more there.

attachicon.gifFGconds.jpeg

attachicon.gifFGscA.jpeg

attachicon.gifFGscB.jpeg

Nice shootin!

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#50 JoeBradley

JoeBradley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:57 PM

What a great course Club Schwarzwald is. Always liked it, and it's even prettier with no HUD info cluttering up the view. Remembered to allow a nudge for elevation but soon got cold feet driving and resorted to 1 hybrid several times off the tee because I knew you could drive into trouble but couldn't remember which holes. Numerous bogies but, amazingly, I never racked up a double or worse - got lucky with a couple of 'play as it lies' and saved par many times by those level greens around the pin placements. Lovely course.

EDIT: Arghh - just seen Frank70's hole-by-hole strategy guide on OGT course reviews. Could have done with that, but not sure it's in the spirit of BARE. Or is it? Bit like hiring a local caddy. What do you think, Ted, should we avoid those guides? 

Attached File  CSconds.jpg   17.84KB   4 downloads

Attached File  CSscA.jpg   29.54KB   1 downloads

Attached File  CSscB.jpg   28.54KB   1 downloads

Attached File  CSstats.jpg   24.52KB   1 downloads

#51 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:16 PM

I don't think so. Heck I was thinking of making some kind of checklist to keep track of what hole I'm pn

#52 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:38 PM

What a great course Club Schwarzwald is. Always liked it, and it's even prettier with no HUD info cluttering up the view. Remembered to allow a nudge for elevation but soon got cold feet driving and resorted to 1 hybrid several times off the tee because I knew you could drive into trouble but couldn't remember which holes. Numerous bogies but, amazingly, I never racked up a double or worse - got lucky with a couple of 'play as it lies' and saved par many times by those level greens around the pin placements. Lovely course.
EDIT: Arghh - just seen Frank70's hole-by-hole strategy guide on OGT course reviews. Could have done with that, but not sure it's in the spirit of BARE. Or is it? Bit like hiring a local caddy. What do you think, Ted, should we avoid those guides?
CSconds.jpg
CSscA.jpg
CSscB.jpg
CSstats.jpg

I started those guides with the hope that others would follow. I don't know if it is really helpful. Maybe someone could play Club Schwarzwald with the guide on the table and could check it out. The distances are for the avant ball.

P.S.: i live about 100 miles away from the real Schwarzwald over here in Germany. So i found it fitting to check this wonderful course out. Great course Crow!!

#53 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:17 PM

I have reached the point where I don't think I could play any other way. 

The scores are tumbling and I'm impressed. I'll get the scoreboard updated now before work and reply to the latest posts when I get to the coal face.

#54 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:22 PM

I started those guides with the hope that others would follow. I don't know if it is really helpful. Maybe someone could play Club Schwarzwald with the guide on the table and could check it out. The distances are for the avant ball.

P.S.: i live about 100 miles away from the real Schwarzwald over here in Germany. So i found it fitting to check this wonderful course out. Great course Crow!!

Heh, thanks.  I hear from some of my German friends tho, that I screwed up a little on the real tree types tho... :)

#55 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:13 AM

ok that was fun - much better than i expected......really good experience, thanks Ted

Thanks Brendan. Solid score there. Doubles are killing me lately but it's mainly bad golf.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what everyone is doing. We play our home course 2 rounds and every one else 2 rounds at their home course? Do we get screenshots of the round or is it just score submission? How long do we have to complete all the rounds or is it just a chill thing and we eventually get around to a restart?

The goal posts keep moving with new members joining but it's not a big deal. The way the draw now works is that each member plays 7 matches with either 3 or 4 home games. If you are lucky you'll get the extra home game. I got lucky but I am the organiser. So there. If there is a second round the home numbers will reverse.

Play any match at home or away in any order any time. This first comp (round) will be open ended time-wise to sort out stuff and maybe accomodate new members. If you submit your scores through the website form I can keep the records on my gmail but post your card screenies here anytime for interest.

P.S. looks like if I am to have any chance it's with RTSH...this should be very interesting. I am going to use notepad and alt-tab out to make a caddy book. Should start to get my some of my rounds in today.

I am getting prepared to walk out Medinah and make yardages from landmarks around the approach distances. The yardage sticks at the Schwarz were a revelation.

This is a very satisfying way to play and is quickly becoming my favorite.  

The question of distance estimation in full-blown BARE takes a bit of a leap to accept. While we have a caddy, and even though we can't see the club details, we can accept his choice. It will be within a club of optimum anyway. If I accept the caddy's choice I take a bit off or hit it solid depending on the clues within the game - a bit of rough, elevation I can see, wind, danger.

But before I get into the distance debate I should reaffirm the BARE philosophy or, more accurately, my BARE philosophy. I want to experience through JNPG the essence of the game. I've never had a caddy in my life. A caddy to me is the ultimate golfing aid. Sure, without a caddy you would need to at least see your clubs to make a choice but in effect we can make ourselves aware of which club we have been given in the present game.

I'm approaching this format as an individual golfer who hopes to play well enough to shoot under par just like I always have done in real life. I don't play - as I was before BARE - as a Pro golfer with all the info at my fingertips. 

I have also never known approach distances in real life apart from Par 3s. Admittedly in real life you get a perception of distance (which can almost never be accurate) and it would seem hard to simulate that on a computer screen but over the last few days my distance perceptions are becoming more astute. Slowly but surely. 

Wind is another matter. My shadow method is the only way to estimate the wind direction after the First tee if I want to leave the HUD off permanently for the round as a discipline. I agree there should be an indicator of the wind separate from the normal HUD.

The chipping/pitching problem is not good. It's workable but nowhere near ideal. I have to say my chipping is improving though.

....Arghh - just seen Frank70's hole-by-hole strategy guide on OGT course reviews. Could have done with that, but not sure it's in the spirit of BARE. Or is it? Bit like hiring a local caddy. What do you think, Ted, should we avoid those guides? 

I see nothing wrong with reading a guide Joe.

Yeah I loved the Schwarz. I found myself walking around a lot (cam at eye level) to work out direction and distances which gives you a feeling of really working for your score. I think you get a greater appreciation of a course when you play this way.

Heck I was thinking of making some kind of checklist to keep track of what hole I'm pn

A printed scorecard on my desk will be invaluable. 

#56 Skunky

Skunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Locationmarble falls tx

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:53 AM

hey ted just to let you know you posted my score in  stonecomets box,the 82 was shot by me. thanks!

shadowcreek: tpc avenel:tpc san antonio:valhalla:quail hollow:trump coltsneck:hudson valley:ferry point:bedminster old and new course

Pasatiempo:Kingswood:Carnoustie:Augusta:SandHollow:TPC Summerlin

#57 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:58 AM

Heads are rolling. Thanks Q

#58 Skunky

Skunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Locationmarble falls tx

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:12 PM

i had a couple of days off from work and managed to play all my BARE rounds.really enjoyed it. Thought i would share my scores.84,79,87,83,82,75,81=571 ,if you divide the 571 by the number of rounds, 7 .you get 81.57 avg,about a 10 handicap.

Whats interesting to me is IRL my last 4 rounds were 89,85,85,83. my handicap IRL is 13.

Thats one reason playing BARE has been so much fun,because of real world scoring.

Thanks ted for setting this up. wouldent it be cool if perfect golf  incorporated BARE as an option in the game and added the features we need,like wind direction ,distance,and club selection and shot type at the touch of a button. cheers everyone ,ready for BARE season 2.

• Ted_Ball likes this

shadowcreek: tpc avenel:tpc san antonio:valhalla:quail hollow:trump coltsneck:hudson valley:ferry point:bedminster old and new course

Pasatiempo:Kingswood:Carnoustie:Augusta:SandHollow:TPC Summerlin

#59 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:29 PM

i had a couple of days off from work and managed to play all my BARE rounds.really enjoyed it. Thought i would share my scores.84,79,87,83,82,75,81=571 ,if you divide the 571 by the number of rounds, 7 .you get 81.57 avg,about a 10 handicap.

Whats interesting to me is IRL my last 4 rounds were 89,85,85,83. my handicap IRL is 13.

Thats one reason playing BARE has been so much fun,because of real world scoring.

Thanks ted for setting this up. wouldent it be cool if perfect golf  incorporated BARE as an option in the game and added the features we need,like wind direction ,distance,and club selection and shot type at the touch of a button. cheers everyone ,ready for BARE season 2.

I'd be all over playing like this.  The perfect sim settings for me would be:

• No elevation information
  • Wind direction indicator and basic wind conditions given (calm, breezy, windy, gusty)
  • No pre club selection, you have to pick your club for each shot but you can obviously see which club you're picking
  • No grids
  • No BLI
  • Distances only given on the overhead map.  Lots of ways to do this but it would need to show distances relative to where you are in a way that made it easy to glance at the overhead and get an idea of what club you need
  • Easier way to get down to the ground using free cam to read the greens
  • This would likely be very difficult but it would be cool if we could use the free cam but we could only move within 50 yards (or whatever makes sense - 75 yards, 100 yards) of our ball location or something like that.
  • No forward shot preview

• Skunky and Ted_Ball like this

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#60 JoeBradley

JoeBradley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:15 PM

Another slow start at Sawgrass for my Stone Comet match, saved with a better back 9 and no water hazard dramas. Slowly getting the hang of this...

Attached File  FG2conds.jpg   19.45KB   0 downloads Attached File  FG2scA.jpg   33.06KB   0 downloads Attached File  FG2scB.jpg   34.34KB   0 downloads Attached File  FG2stats.jpg   30.17KB   0 downloads

• StoneComet likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users