#61 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:18 PM

Here I am with the first half of my first official BARE round. I'm finding that the chip shot requires a lot of feel and precision. I have to make a smooth shot all the way through transition to get it to work as expected. Tough shot for sure. I'll be recording and finishing my round soon. The round is declared against Armand at my home course. For those interested I'll be keeping my settings the same throughout this round of home course play.

Weather: Scattered, Clear, Breezy

3 PM tee time

Medium Pins

Stimp: 12

Hardness: Normal

No gimmies but feel free to set them at auto 2 if you like.

Tounrnament Pins

Pro Difficulty

On the way in.

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

#62 Skunky

Skunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Locationmarble falls tx

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:04 PM

I'd be all over playing like this.  The perfect sim settings for me would be:

• No elevation information
  • Wind direction indicator and basic wind conditions given (calm, breezy, windy, gusty)
  • No pre club selection, you have to pick your club for each shot but you can obviously see which club you're picking
  • No grids
  • No BLI
  • Distances only given on the overhead map.  Lots of ways to do this but it would need to show distances relative to where you are in a way that made it easy to glance at the overhead and get an idea of what club you need
  • Easier way to get down to the ground using free cam to read the greens
  • This would likely be very difficult but it would be cool if we could use the free cam but we could only move within 50 yards (or whatever makes sense - 75 yards, 100 yards) of our ball location or something like that.
  • No forward shot preview

now if we could get mike jones to play a few rounds like this.are you listening mike.hint hint.

• mebby likes this

shadowcreek: tpc avenel:tpc san antonio:valhalla:quail hollow:trump coltsneck:hudson valley:ferry point:bedminster old and new course

Pasatiempo:Kingswood:Carnoustie:Augusta:SandHollow:TPC Summerlin

#63 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 11 August 2016 - 01:16 AM

I've added member's home conditions under "BAREssentials"

#64 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:27 AM

Good addition, Ted, as it will save scrolling through this thread to find the conditions.

I headed out to East Sussex West :wacko: for my round at Stone Comet's home course.  Never having played the course before, it wasn't too bad playing, as most shots were reasonably visible in terms of what was required and where to aim.  The course is a bit hard on my graphics, as I'm guessing my FPS was about 25-30 for most of it - I didn't CAU to access settings and turn down the detail, as I seemed to manage OK (although next time I play there, I'll try to remember to turn down the details beforehand). 

I played - or I should say, I scored - better than expected with a 40-46 = 86 total.  This included a quadruple bogey on #12 and triple bogies on #1 and #16. 

And in case anyone wants to watch, I recorded and uploaded my round here:

EDIT:  I made an edit (in orange) to show my erroneous score.  Refer my follow-up post with the updated score from the correct tees.

Edited by Armand, 14 August 2016 - 06:20 PM.

#65 JoeBradley

JoeBradley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:35 AM

I've added member's home conditions under "BAREssentials"

Good addition, Ted, thanks. I assume everyone is using furthest back (champ/tournament) tees, but could that category be added in case someone wants to specify other tees?

#66 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:01 AM

Yeah Joe. Back tees for absoluteness but I'll put a field in for tees to avoid confusion and for member's home preference.

#67 MimicPS

MimicPS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:34 AM

Hi Ted,

My conditions for Mill Green home course:

Longest Tees

Breezy

Difficult pins

Firmness normal

Stimp 12

No gimmies

Round time: 4pm

#68 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:27 PM

Thanks for entering my score, Ted ... I forgot to submit it on the page, but I see it's been entered. 

HOWEVER .... it should probably be erased and replaced with a DQ, since I played from the Tournament tees instead of the Championship tees at East Sussex West.  I assumed his post meant Tournament Tees instead of Tournament pins, since the Medium Pins were selected.... it's clear in his video that he played the Championship tees.   

Here I am with the first half of my first official BARE round. I'm finding that the chip shot requires a lot of feel and precision. I have to make a smooth shot all the way through transition to get it to work as expected. Tough shot for sure. I'll be recording and finishing my round soon. The round is declared against Armand at my home course. For those interested I'll be keeping my settings the same throughout this round of home course play.

Weather: Scattered, Clear, Breezy

3 PM tee time

Medium Pins

Stimp: 12

Hardness: Normal

No gimmies but feel free to set them at auto 2 if you like.

Tounrnament Pins

Pro Difficulty

My mistake - apologies to the field.  :( :shame:

#69 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:52 PM

Thanks Armand.

The committee, on behalf of the members, suggests you play East Sussex West again from the Champ tees. Everything's alright. No DQ. 

#70 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 01:33 PM

Thanks Armand.

The committee, on behalf of the members, suggests you play East Sussex West again from the Champ tees. Everything's alright. No DQ. 

Nice committee.  If they were the USGA, they'd tell you to play again and then issue their ruling AFTER your round... LOL

• frank70 likes this
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#71 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 August 2016 - 01:37 PM

Nice committee.  If they were the USGA, they'd tell you to play again and then issue their ruling AFTER your round... LOL

With a hint of an upcoming penalty .... during the round.... just to make it more interesting.  ;)

• Crow357 likes this

#72 JoeBradley

JoeBradley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:40 PM

My scorecard for Sawgrass (Florida Glades) round v Armand. My home scores are gradually getting worse (complacency?), but saved the day with a most unlikely birdie-birdie finish.

Attached File  FG3conds.jpg   19.44KB   0 downloads Attached File  FG3scA.jpg   31.15KB   0 downloads Attached File  FG3scB.jpg   30.15KB   0 downloads Attached File  FG3stats.jpg   29.91KB   0 downloads

#73 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:18 PM

Shot an 83 at E Sussex W and my best score to date.  I was shooting pretty well on the front 9 with +3, but the wheels came off on the back with a +8.  The lone bright spot was a 60 yd-ish pitch for birdie.  The ball would not be denied its home!

20160811135756_1_zpsm1t2ibje.jpg

• StoneComet likes this

#74 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:34 PM

Nice scoring all round golfers. Keeping those doubles off the card is the trick - triples for me.

I'm liking those videos. Interesting to watch how people approach each shot. I like the commentary Stone - it is a good guide for anyone thinking of joining. I video'd my last round at Medinah for the first time and was fascinated to watch myself making a hash of certain shots. Very revealing.  And it was like watching TV. Unedited, the time I was taking over shots was very realistic although at times I was very Sergio-like till I got settled enough to hit the shot.

• StoneComet likes this

#75 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:13 PM

I'm with you guys in spirit.  I finally ditched the F3 camera and started using a scorecard instead (copying the hole distances from the scorecard at the beginning of the round).  This helps a lot to determine if I'm between clubs or to go for a par 5 in two. 

I've developed some visual strategies for the shortgame and putting that might help.  They are quick and I almost never use the F5 camera.  Nothing is foolproof without numbers on the screen of course, but I'd be happy to share what's working for me if you guys are interested.  

I'm consistently playing to scratch +/- a few strokes depending on the course setup and only using the HUD to check wind on the teebox (if needed) or change to a pitch shot.  As usual, my shortgame and putting are saving my score.          

Good fun.   

• Ted_Ball and StoneComet like this

#76 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:27 AM

Yeah, we'd be very interested Bortimus.

I hope I'm not sounding too much of a BARElitist.  I personally want to keep the HUD off at all times as a sort of reminder. When I'm 'relaxing' I sometimes drift away and if I've had to bring the HUD back for a drop or something I notice the HUD's still on and I am horrified to see it.

The wind thing is important. I'd like to discuss that first. Then the chip/pitch problem.

The scores of bortimus are an indication of the legitimacy of BARE. It's something that's worth promoting.

• StoneComet likes this

#77 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:39 AM

Shot an 83 at E Sussex W and my best score to date.  I was shooting pretty well on the front 9 with +3, but the wheels came off on the back with a +8.  The lone bright spot was a 60 yd-ish pitch for birdie.  The ball would not be denied its home!

20160811135756_1_zpsm1t2ibje.jpg

Very nice shooting. How do you get all those scorecards and stats on the screen at one time or are you post editing?

I was not really familiar with this course when I picked it but I'm glad I did. Really simple in some ways with solid greens and relatively straight  lines.

I spent a good part of the day on your home course, a beauty by the way. It was good practice for me and really enjoyed myself. I think I may have finalized my sensitivity settings. I hope you enjoyed your round.

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

#78 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:03 AM

Very nice shooting. How do you get all those scorecards and stats on the screen at one time or are you post editing?

I was not really familiar with this course when I picked it but I'm glad I did. Really simple in some ways with solid greens and relatively straight  lines.

I spent a good part of the day on your home course, a beauty by the way. It was good practice for me and really enjoyed myself. I think I may have finalized my sensitivity settings. I hope you enjoyed your round.

Yeah, that's a photoshop bashup, but you can use any photo editing software to do that.

• StoneComet likes this

#79 Skunky

Skunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Locationmarble falls tx

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:08 AM

Ted looks like sudden death at medhina for us ,good round there.!

shadowcreek: tpc avenel:tpc san antonio:valhalla:quail hollow:trump coltsneck:hudson valley:ferry point:bedminster old and new course

Pasatiempo:Kingswood:Carnoustie:Augusta:SandHollow:TPC Summerlin

#80 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:08 AM

1 point each Skunky.

Well done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic