Photo

A realistic round of golf, impossible dream?

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#301 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:55 PM

There's something wrong with chipping on RTS-C as it's almost impossible not to chip straight compared to all the other shots.

Regardless of ball lie as well.....

PC

Xbox One X

Steam ID: DivotMaker

#302 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:23 PM

Regardless of ball lie as well.....

Mike says that pros can still hit those short chips, pitches and flops pretty straight no matter the slope.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#303 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:33 PM

Mike says that pros can still hit those short chips, pitches and flops pretty straight no matter the slope.

Don't doubt it.....

PC

Xbox One X

Steam ID: DivotMaker

#304 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:36 PM

That's true but the with those lies, the probability to hit it on target and get it to stop becomes very small.

#305 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:43 PM

All I know is that I chip far more shots in the hole in PG than any pro in real life........ and I'm very average at this game.

I can't drive, approach, or putt straight, but I sure can chip!!  :lol:

• tlvx likes this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#306 fishwicket79

fishwicket79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:12 PM

Then followed that up with a blazing -7 with a bogey.....chipping in this game is too easy, especially when the cup in on a flat surface. That accounts for the five "holeouts".....ironically when we played this last week, I don't recall having any round even remotely close to that one. It was almost the perfect round for me and one of the best I have ever played.....and that came after 2 weeks of being sick in bed and not touching a controller for 4 days.....go figure.

Lastly, I do not consider myself a "great" player by any means. I am a decent player who is streaky, but until I get consistently good at both PGA and RTS Tours, I am still just one of the guys trying to have some fun.....

it's those difficult pin locations they are situated too close the fringe or the rough.playing easy greens can eliminate the easy chip ins as the pins are more to the centre of greens

#307 Goran JoeMen

Goran JoeMen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:15 PM

I am all for making the short game harder for the Tour pros if you need it, I have played play RTM Pro since released and still have to fight to stay under par. But one thing I wonder about is that Frank and others say the sand play is easy...do you think it is easy playing also RTM from the green bunkers or only the other methods like MS, RTC and clicking?

I have not mastered those shots and am happy to be within a few yards playing the default splash shot from sand, so just curious... There seems to be more factors to weigh in when it comes to those shots, or is it just me?

http://www.goranmentzer.st

RTS-M pro  -  Intel i5-9600K 3.7ghz  - 16GB  RAM - GeForce RTX 2060 super  - 2560x1440

#308 fishwicket79

fishwicket79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:16 PM

I can't be the only one noticing swing changes in this game with controller, i played 3 rounds in euro fed ex, tour pro at black swan. After 3 rounds i was -20 and clear, played my 4th round and visited the range just before to ensure my swing was ok, during the round my gentle fade had changed to a hook, now i know i was not swinging any different because i have a routine that i adhere to, i finished +4 After this i went straight back to the range and lo and behold my swing returns to what i have honed before, maybe my controller is playing up but its so annoying as it now makes me question what i have practiced. BTW black swan is not the place to be wayward off the tee and have your game fall apart! :)

I said exactly the same thing a few weeks ago.I started going right for no reason and questioned if it was a random element

#309 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:36 PM

I would agree, so it would make sense to have the chipping and pitching penalties apply much more to spin, distance, and trajectory rather than direction. That way you bring more of the fat/thin element into play which is more reflective of real life short game mishits.  

• DivotMaker and frank70 like this

#310 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:34 PM

I am all for making the short game harder for the Tour pros if you need it, I have played play RTM Pro since released and still have to fight to stay under par. But one thing I wonder about is that Frank and others say the sand play is easy...do you think it is easy playing also RTM from the green bunkers or only the other methods like MS, RTC and clicking?

I have not mastered those shots and am happy to be within a few yards playing the default splash shot from sand, so just curious... There seems to be more factors to weigh in when it comes to those shots, or is it just me?

You should have the 64 degree in the bag. I loft that club all the way up almost everytime. It's easier for me to bring the ball to a rest pretty fast what helps with distance control. A good ratio is important - if you are too fast, the ball goes left long, if you are slow the ball "dies" a bit on the blade and goes short right. The correct backswing length for the different distances is purely practice. Go on Woodys practice range and first try to hit 80 feet (remember the club position at the end of the backswing). Do that for 70, 60, 50, 40 and 30 feet as well. It's not totally automatic. Getting the correct distance is a good amount of feel as well.

Watch the ball lie. It's a big differenece if you have an uphill lie or a downhill. At higher wind levels, then wind plays a role as well. As does the slope of the green when the ball lands (uphill or downhill). Practice and trust in your decision making is key. I play bad out of bunkers when i am trying to hard to get the exact club head position. I play them better if i try to maintain a good rhythm.

#311 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:39 PM

I would agree, so it would make sense to have the chipping and pitching penalties apply much more to spin, distance, and trajectory rather than direction. That way you bring more of the fat/thin element into play which is more reflective of real life short game mishits.  

My opinion as well.

But with the low scores: It's foremost the putting. My analysis of several rounds is pretty clear. Unless we have a different way to read the putts and a more difficult execution (RTS-C less than 3-click and foremost RTS-M), numbers won't change that much.

The penalty for putts should be very granular. When you send it offline with 1 degree it doesn't matter that much on 3-5 footers. It comes into play at 10 footers and you blatantly are offline from 15 feet out. A straight 30 footer is a very difficult putt in real life - cause it's hard to putt absolutely straight.

• DivotMaker likes this

#312 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:08 PM

The penalty for putts should be very granular. When you send it offline with 1 degree it doesn't matter that much on 3-5 footers. It comes into play at 10 footers and you blatantly are offline from 15 feet out. A straight 30 footer is a very difficult putt in real life - cause it's hard to putt absolutely straight.

Couldnt agree more. This is exactly what we face when using simulators and our putting stats are much more realistic as a result. The question is how to balance it so its not so difficult things go the other way, and how you go about it

• DivotMaker and frank70 like this

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#313 Wirenut48

Wirenut48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:31 PM

Lofting always seems to be a problem with video golf games. Thank goodness with this game you can't use it to control distance or spin. But it will cause the ball to land softer and roll less. Those that are competitive are going to setup the shot that will produce the best outcome regardless of realism. 

But how do you combat that? Increasing the lie penalty won't work as it will also affect the non lofted.  You would just be forcing everyone to play all lofted shots. Program lofted shots to produce top spin, but then you're  getting away from realistic physics. If the physics are real then there is not much that can be done except restricting the use of loft. Don't seems right to tweak the game physics to make lofted shots harder if it is going to affect normal shots, but maybe they can find a way to do it.

My suggestion for TP would be forbid the use of any of the preset shots, full shot swings only. The swing is granular enough to play partial full shots, as I have done it. You still have loft to aid with the trajectory when creating the shot. To me this would be the most realistic to play the short game, and should produce more realistic scoring without butchering up the physics.

• Ted_Ball and tlvx like this

Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW, Corsair iCUE SP140 RGB ELITE Fans, Corsair RMx 850 W PS, MSI MPG Z590 GAMING CARBON WIFI, i9-11900K 3.5 GHz 8-Core, G.Skill Trident Z Royal 32 GB, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-NVME, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe, NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive

#314 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:57 PM

My suggestion for TP would be forbid the use of any of the preset shots, full shot swings only. The swing is granular enough to play partial full shots, as I have done it. You still have loft to aid with the trajectory when creating the shot. To me this would be the most realistic to play the short game, and should produce more realistic scoring without butchering up the physics.

StoneComet and I play this way. It seems to emphasize 'feel' as well and gets away from the slide-rule approach. 

• StoneComet likes this

#315 rbarthle17

rbarthle17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:00 PM

You want a "realistic" round of virtual golf? Grab your clubs, get on a simulator, and play actual golf.  :)

#316 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:08 PM

You want a "realistic" round of virtual golf? Grab your clubs, get on a simulator, and play actual golf. 

After my 107 today at Crystal Pines, I 'm thinking about trading my simulator in for a controller....:)

• Sliceapottomus, richybro, Brendan and 1 other like this

#317 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:14 AM

Have to ask the question again, a realistic round of golf,  impossible dream?

Well after the update I have hope, we're halfway there!  :)

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users