231 replies to this topic

#61 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 11:13 AM

Must be about release time by now surely ;)

Intel 9900k @5GHZ

Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390

Noctua NH-D15 Cromax 

Fractal Design Meshify S2

WDC WD10EFRX 1TB NVME drive

2x 14TB Hitachi NAS HDD

Colour scheme by Nigel Tufnell- "None more black"

#62 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:01 PM

Why's that?

#63 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:52 PM

Don't want to speak for Rob but thought he posted yesterday that he was looking toward releasing a beta in 1 month.

He is currently doing something that no one else has done to date with the bunkers. It is super cool but over doubles the time to build. He is also doing highly dense alternate planting of vegetation that can be time consuming as well.

From all photos, it will be well worth the wait. But, as a one man construction team, to produce something better than anything released to date takes time.

#64 granite00

granite00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 05:07 PM

What is highly dense vegetation going to do to frame rates?

#65 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 05:55 PM

I think Rob is on a Mac and he gives decent reports. But, he has mentioned upgrading to an i5 PC. I would guess like any other game, if your rig struggles, turn down settings. If you want to see the game in all its glory, upgrade your rig.

I remember the first game I played that took advantage of OpenGL was Quake. I owned a Dell with a RIVA card which was before anyone knew about NVidia. I've been upgrading my pc ever since to match the demands of the software program if I care enough. Never played it but I remember how demanding Crysis was said to be. I would not hold my breath on optimization making a 5 year old PC be capable of something high quality nowadays.

#66 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:01 PM

Just looked up development on the i5 and first generation was released in 2010. If you haven't upgraded since then, I'd say you've gotten pretty good value from your purchase. A 10 year old PC purchased for 1500 dollars means you've spent about 10 bucks a month for your hobby. I think my wife does more damage than that at Starbucks.

#67 Drrobmiller

Drrobmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLong island

Posted 07 May 2017 - 01:39 AM

Hello,

I just realized I posted the beta announcement here, not in the beta section. It's a 12 hole beta to get an idea about frame rates on different rigs.

I promise I will get an 18 hole beta out to all, but I need to design the last 6 . I figure I'd get 2 holes per month in ,...maybe even 3. The last 6 holes parallel each other so they share the same plants and trees. Smart, right? The hard part of figuring all this out is behind me.

So far I get decent frame rates on the pc bootcamp side of my iMac...i5 core with a Radeon card. Lowest is about 22 fps. And thats with everything maxed out. I think because the bushes are low poly and billboarding at a certain distance tricks the program...therefore, a lot of plants but decent frame rates

However, I get some chop on the mac version. So I think if you have a good rig you should be fine.

#68 Trath

Trath

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:41 AM

He would be better off buy a 6 or 8 core AMD Ryzen cpu fort any design driven work.

Asus ROG Maximus Gene - i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz - Radeon R9 FURY - 16 gigs ram - Antec 750W Gold PSU - Samsung EVO 840 250 gig SSD - LG 29UM67 Monitor - Logitech G502 mouse

#69 Ninja_Prime

Ninja_Prime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSuffolk UK

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:05 AM

Most modern rigs should be able to cope with this course, when I say modern, I mean those bought in the last 3 years. As long as you throw enough RAM and GPU at it, things should run smoothly.

This course is looking amazing; I just worry about frame rate for those rigs that already struggle with current courses. I cannot wait to test this course.

Also looking forward to a tutorial on how you got those amazing bunkers. As I said before, you have set the bar when it comes to realistic looking bunkers. I am totally blown away with your work on this course, please don’t rush it, take all the time you need to create this work of art!

• DPRoberts likes this

There is no shame in defeat, there is only shame if you do not learn from it.

Intel i7 870@3.06Ghz, 12GB RAM, W10 Pro 64bit, Nvidia GTX 1060 3Gb

Courses designed:

​The Pines, Bracken Heath, Skye Dunes, The Glade, Brook Vale (WIP).

#70 Drrobmiller

Drrobmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLong island

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:11 PM

My Mac is a 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 with 8 GB 1600 Mhz memory and AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB
…and she runs the game fine on the PC bootcamp windows 8 side.

So I see no issues with just 6 more holes to plant.

If I was to buy a new PC it would be even faster because nothing beats the extra power when running these PC games.
I just play golf but wouldn’t mind the extra juice if I was to play a first person shooter in a multiplayer 3d world.

If you have an older rig, like over 5 years, hey, upgrade if you wanna enjoy this course. I remember doing everything I could to max out my PCs every time a new game came out that I wanted to play…extra RAM, better card to get AA etc

approach on 6
vi04mw.png
approach on 7

ta25hg.png
  • RobC likes this

#71 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:38 PM

Course looking incredible - a work of art IMO

#72 Ninja_Prime

Ninja_Prime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSuffolk UK

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:43 AM

Is there a beta version ready for testing?

Courses designed:

#73 Drrobmiller

Drrobmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLong island

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:18 PM

I was going to release a 12 hold beta, but I've cranking it out and by next week I will only have 3 more holes to go

I think in a month to 6 weeks I should have a 18-hole beta

Dr Rob

#74 Ninja_Prime

Ninja_Prime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSuffolk UK

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:51 PM

Course looks fantastic, I still want to know how you made those bunkers in Blender!

Courses designed:

#75 Drrobmiller

Drrobmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLong island

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:37 PM

2nbg85d.png

2eoxg9k.png

35bf4b9.png

16bhjt5.png
  • mikahenrik, RobC and Justin9926 like this

#76 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:53 PM

Screw the Fairways, I wanna play out of the Bunkers!

Looking magnificent Doc.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#77 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:22 PM

You may as well retire from CourseForge after this course. you're gonna have one hell of a job surpassing it!  ;)

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#78 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:41 PM

I'm still waiting for Lone Cypress to reach completion. That will be one hell of a track if ever finished.
  • Drgnslyr221 likes this

#79 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:39 PM

I'm still waiting for Lone Cypress to reach completion. That will be one hell of a track if ever finished.

It takes a long time to make such a unique Unicorn, lol.

• Dazmaniac likes this

#80 Drrobmiller

Drrobmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLong island

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:52 PM

Thanks all....I should be down to the final 2 holes by next week.

I'm anxious to get this out and tested...it's been 6 months of solid designing (well, when I'm not doing real life stuff and work), but a long time prior to learn unity and all it's features.

But cranking now...and I back up my project file every nite.

I can't believe it..2 more holes and The Glen ; the ocean course v 1.0 beta will be released

Rob
  • Arsam, JoeF, Unique and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users