398 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:19 PM

I know its been quiet around here so I thought it was probably time we posted an update on what we have all been up to....

From the few recent releases we have continued to fix a few bugs in the existing version of JNPG and also continue to push changes to the Simulator Version and supported devices. 

The beginning of the year for us is always taken up with improvements and upgrades to our Broadcast Suite Products in preparation for the new Golf Season.

However, since we returned from our TV work in Georgia we have been hard at work on a lot of base improvements to the underlying engine.  Without getting into too many details we realized that without a significant improvement to both our networking and our internal event system we had reached the limit of the performance improvements and functionality adds we could continue with.  So we decided now was the perfect time to revisit both of these tasks.  These efforts will result in a much simpler set of game play code which will make fixing certain bugs much easier without impacting other areas of the code as well as vastly reduce the amount of data being sent back and forth between the players in a game.  This will in turn lead to a much smoother game play.  This redesign will also allow us to open up much more freedom within the game to allow for players to play independent of the other players thus allowing Fast Play, Turn based individual play where you are always in control of your player and not being moved by the camera system in a turn based style.  It will also open up things like other players on the course and spectators.

We realize that it feels like we are not doing much with the game at this time but this is far from the case.  This rather boring work is necessary to move the game to the next level.  The improved network performance will buy us some much needed CPU performance which can be used to further the visuals in the game.  We are working hard with the new Unity 5.5 lighting system to develop a much more immersive and depth based lighting that will make the game feel more alive.  Sometimes you just have to take a step back to take a leap forward.

We have finished 90% of the Turf Effects integration for the initial pass at its inclusion in Perfect Golf.

I am sure many of you are interested in some of the other items we have talked about including Career Mode and as we have more details we can divulge we will of course discuss them but rest assured Career Mode is most definitely part of the new development cycle.  As of course are new characters with some customization capabilities as well as new animations. 

We will be pushing 1.4.2.4 this weekend.  Mostly a bug fix release plus a work around for the fact that Steam has broken the invite system.  Also includes many simulator improvements 

Please feel free to ask any questions in this thread and I will attempt to answer them to the best of my ability.  We are working hard on a lot of improvements to the game but many of them are very fundamental to the engine and do not produce much to talk about.  

• axe360, Richard, Tresclub and 21 others like this

#2 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:31 PM

There you go.   Like I said,  PG is here to stay!  :)

• Tresclub, DivotMaker and GoldenBear like this

#3 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:41 PM

Thanks for the update Andrew...

Ken

#4 Jperkules

Jperkules

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, U.S

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:54 PM

Hello Andrew,

Will turf affects be released as a package with the other developments like career mode and new anis, or pushed separately?

Is Mikey working on some DLC?

Are you guys brothers?

We have seen a pic of a couple new anis, and they look awesome.  Do the mo-cap sessions still need to happen?

Thanks!

Jeff

#5 Riddler

Riddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Nevada

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:00 AM

Just curious on how Steam could break the invite.  Also, asking why the website seems to go down more often then before.

Thanks so much for the update.  I am 69 years old and this game is a big part of my senior enjoyment.  Be lost without it.

Alan

• spy88 and Carl Lapin like this

#6 maxie

maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:01 AM

Great news cheers :)

#7 Richard

Richard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBismarck, ND

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:12 AM

Andrew, thanks a lot for the update. Also thanks to Mike for his earlier update regarding servers.

I, and I don't think I'm alone, just desire periodical updates like this. When there are multiple issues, i.e. servers, invites, communication blackout regarding upcoming changes, it creates unnecessary anxiety. Having you two respond is  so soooooooooooooothing.

I would ask that, if at all feasible, that you share your long-range plans regarding JNPG. For example, if the PC version is on a 'short leash' so be it. No problem as that is your business decision. While you may lose some followers based on your disclosure, I think it only fair to them and will help increase the loyalty of the customers that you chose to serve.

• worrybirdie and spy88 like this
Richard

Posted Image

#8 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:40 AM

My question is pretty simple - ETA on these developments?  I know any date will draw cries of despair if it passes without event, but most of us would like something, even a worst case scenario.

#9 Tresclub

Tresclub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa, CA USA

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:00 AM

We will be pushing 1.4.2.4 this weekend.

1.4.2.2  Current version

1.4.2.3 (???)

1.4.2.4  Would it be too much to ask that at least one new avatar be included in this upgrade?

Warren

PerfectGolfMember2.jpg 

“You only live once, do it right, and once is enough."

Windows 10 Home 64-bit |Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz | nVidea GeForce GTX 1070 FTW
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 | 2/Samsung EVO 850 500gb SSD | Corsair 600cx PwrSup
BenQ ZOWIE 27" 1ms LCD HD | DirectX 12 | Realtek High Definition Audio | HD Pro Webcam C920

#10 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:20 AM

Warren,

If you recall, 1.4.2.3 was already pushed, but they forgot to update the number displayed on the bottom of the screen.  I'm sure there is a thread about this, and I may search it up and link to it, but this reminder may jog your memory.

Link to the post:

http://www.perfectpa...patch/?p=134646

Link to the thread:

http://www.perfectpa...patch/?p=134361

Edited by Armand, 12 May 2017 - 01:27 AM.

• Tresclub likes this

#11 Tresclub

Tresclub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa, CA USA

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:42 AM

aha, you did indeed jog my memory.  Thank you so very much.

PerfectGolfMember2.jpg 

“You only live once, do it right, and once is enough."

Windows 10 Home 64-bit |Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz | nVidea GeForce GTX 1070 FTW
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 | 2/Samsung EVO 850 500gb SSD | Corsair 600cx PwrSup
BenQ ZOWIE 27" 1ms LCD HD | DirectX 12 | Realtek High Definition Audio | HD Pro Webcam C920

#12 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:49 AM

Andrew thank you very much for the great update!
Just what we've all been looking for, so thank you.

#13 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:57 AM

Good morning Mike :D

Thanks Andrew, great news so far :)

Who cares...

#14 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:45 AM

Great option this 

This redesign will also allow us to open up much more freedom within the game to allow for players to play independent of the other players thus allowing Fast Play, Turn based individual play where you are always in control of your player and not being moved by the camera system in a turn based style.  It will also open up things like other players on the course and spectators.

Good  reply by Richard too 

Would also like to see updated Player  and left handedness soon

Also any news about Course Forge updates and improvements 

Thanks for progress updates guys appreciate  your time 

#15 vainte

vainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:22 AM

'As of course are new characters with some customization capabilities as well as new animations.'

I so badly miss being able to customize my golfers outfit and textures. Please sit these textures outside the game code and allow us to modify them.  I would be happy to pay for this option.

#16 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for the update. That wasn't so hard was it?
  • Parboy likes this

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#17 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:07 PM

Nice to see Fast play will be part of the game.

Links had it, TGC uses it, and it's a good option for multiplayer tournament rounds as you don't have that stop start feel of turn based play, so it's like playing an offline round but still having the multiplayer connectivity and ability to chat with your playing partners, but getting the round done much quicker.
  • fungolfer and Affo like this

#18 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:17 PM

Can you provide any update on the console and/or W10 versions of the game that have been discussed previously?

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#19 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:40 PM

Andrew, thanks a lot for the update. Also thanks to Mike for his earlier update regarding servers.

I, and I don't think I'm alone, just desire periodical updates like this. When there are multiple issues, i.e. servers, invites, communication blackout regarding upcoming changes, it creates unnecessary anxiety. Having you two respond is  so soooooooooooooothing.

I would ask that, if at all feasible, that you share your long-range plans regarding JNPG. For example, if the PC version is on a 'short leash' so be it. No problem as that is your business decision. While you may lose some followers based on your disclosure, I think it only fair to them and will help increase the loyalty of the customers that you chose to serve.

The developers have said TWICE that the pc version of the game will not be forgotten.

#20 slouis

slouis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:22 PM

If I understand correctly the Windows 10 version will be the one that has features such as Turf Effects, Fast Play and improved CPU performance.  Although I currently have a i5 with a GTX 6GB 1060 GPU my O/S is Windows 7.  However I would upgrade to W10 and faster CPU if that is what it will take to get the features Andrew mentioned.

RTSM - Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users