77 replies to this topic

#41 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:54 PM

I use the zoom to see where the ball may end up and aim after I am out of zoom.

Not sure I understand what the issue is, but I am not interested in arguing, especially over semantics.

Tour Pro is a more challenging mode than any other in this game with a gamepad and/or RTS/M.

No argument here, I already made my thoughts perfectly clear.

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#42 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:02 PM

@ Daz: let me correct myself here: it's not so much the general fact that 'the better' player should automatically get more length. I'm only looking at this from the skills level in JNPG. Irl there are way more variables in the mix why a player gets to the highest level. 'Length' could arguably not even be one of them! But a player playing at TP level in JNPG should be considered a better player then somebody playing amateur level. I don't see how that could be contested? I mean, I tried TP and immediately saw it was a totally different ballgame! :wacko:  Like Ted wrote: hitting it longer should be earned.

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#43 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:17 PM

It's not so much strength i focus on in making this point, it's more about skill and precision. Moving up into the skills level should mean some extra reward. I know that i.r.l. you have amateurs who hit just as far as pro's. But Irl a top amateur and the pro, playing with exactly the same clubs, DO differ in skill, talent etc etc. In JNPG moving up the skill level, there are more 'obstacles' build in, but in the end, the player does not get much more then 'real feel'. It should be obvious that having/getting more length can be a great stimulant to try to master the higher levels. 

I'm not sure why you think that increasing difficulty levels should offer rewards. Difficulty levels are designed to make sure that all players have the right challenge for their ability. You seem to be associating them more with game progression modes, like story modes, career modes etc. which are an entirely different thing and designed to motivate the player to continue playing.

I'm sure a reward based progression system will appeal to some players and I have no issue with one being included in JNPG but I don't think that offering rewards for choice of higher difficulty levels is the correct way to achieve it.

• Armand likes this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#44 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:47 PM

This is something they did in the Tiger Woods games.  Everybody did everything they could to get past the stupid part where you could only hit a driver 230.   It was a bad idea then and it's still a bad idea.

• DivotMaker likes this
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#45 Vernon520

Vernon520

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationWestcliff-on-Sea, Essex. U.K

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:55 PM

Do we not already have rewards for skill, and distance with the different ball types?

I would say yes we do!

#46 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:21 PM

On the subject of the game, I wouldn't mind seeing the aiming marker taken out and replaced with something that the old TW games on PC used to have, where you aim by just rotating the player and using an aim arrow on the ground (see below). Makes aligning yourself to a pin 200yds away more of a challenge than just moving a red and white barber pole on to the flag and more or less guaranteeing your aim.

shot2.jpg

Maybe have the aiming marker at lower levels but lose it at the higher levels and replace it with something like the above.

When I play golf IRL, I don't get the option to place a marker 300yds away to help my aim, I align myself stood over the ball. I'd much prefer to have this replicated in a game using something like the old TW game.

• DivotMaker, bortimus, frank70 and 1 other like this

#47 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:22 PM

man does most have at least 1 train wreck hole per round with TP

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#48 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:24 PM

When I've used it practising, I have several Dave, lol. I'd be happy if it was just one, lol.

:lol:

That said,I get immense satisfaction when I pull off a long iron approach over water and hit the green, lol.

#49 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:38 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing the aiming marker taken out and replaced with something that the old TW games on PC used to have, where you aim by just rotating the player and using an aim arrow on the ground (see below). Makes aligning yourself to a pin 200yds away more of a challenge than just moving a red and white barber pole on to the flag and more or less guaranteeing your aim.

I agree - the aiming, and the BLI, are both too precise and not great analogues to the real world golfing experience.

• frank70 and Vernon520 like this

#50 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:48 PM

At first, yes and even after becoming familiar with the swing and interface it is not uncommon to have a hole bite you in the >>>>>>

PC

Xbox One X

Steam ID: DivotMaker

#51 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:12 PM

yea it is a new game playing TP i seem to be getting into a lot of places

you can only find with a missed drive.lol

but all in all i seem to be able to keep it on the even side so far but then again with all i have played at lower levels

not surprised. to be honest they could do away aiming in the overhead and it would be a big plus at all levels for comps

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

Klipsch Sound System

#52 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:33 PM

I agree - the aiming, and the BLI, are both too precise and not great analogues to the real world golfing experience.

Maybe the new turf effects could lead to a way to read the greens better without the grid or the bli. If PP is able to show the rough grass as i have seen in the screenshots, it should be possible to show the grass on the greens equally realistic. Maybe not in the main view but in a special putting view. There you make the read and the aim. Then you go back to the main screen and execute the shot. Possible with the turf effects?

#53 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:59 PM

Define train wreck hole.

#54 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:36 PM

This is something they did in the Tiger Woods games.  Everybody did everything they could to get past the stupid part where you could only hit a driver 230.   It was a bad idea then and it's still a bad idea.

I understand that. But there is a big difference between 275 yards and, say, 310 yards. The increments of increased distance between those yardages should be small e.g. in the inches. 

I still maintain that grinding gets players and holds them and they play more. I thought big traffic meant added value. (A good way to attract players to tournaments - faster grind as prizes.)

• Vernon520 likes this

#55 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:47 PM

Hey frank...

How about trying a match against one of our recordings at Royal Melbourne and see how the scores compare to real life. Drop your recording in there later. 

It's got biggish fairways but amazing green complexes. It must be the design that makes it tough. Tough but fair.

#56 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:51 PM

Tiger Woods games offered stats for play as rewards, including longer drives, but they simply watered down the skill needed over time. Instead of increasing the challenge once you had played for a while these stats did the opposite, making the game easier and easier the more you played until in the end you were hitting 400+ yard drives and the ball was being sucked into the hole, regardless of how good or bad your shot was. This type of progression actually ruined the game for me and I never used to add the stats on to my player once I had a normal drive length. I wanted to at least feel that I was contributing to my success rather than the stats doing it all for me.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#57 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:04 PM

There would have to be a cap.

#58 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:53 AM

The boat has probably already sailed on this, but in case not .....

I like the idea of aiming only with the arrow keys.  But, most people are used to some type of pole/stick thingy, so how about the range of the pole/stick thingy is limited in the higher levels.  For instance, Beginner and Hacker could perhaps use that to aim at any distance.  Amateur level would limit the range of the pole/stick thingy to 100 yards from the ball, Pro would see a limit of say 25 yards in front of the ball and TourPro would have it limited to 1 yard (or less).

The discussion about extra length or benefits from the higher levels reminds me of discussions on naming of the playing levels in early access.  We have to remember that the game level does not describe the ability of the player's skills in the game, but the difficulty (or forgiveness levels) that faces the player in using their chosen control method. 

#59 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:22 AM

I had no trouble aiming in BARE Naked golf. The aiming dot gives you a point to drive at after all. (Frankly I would do away with the aiming dot for Naked golf.) A practice session or two at a venue or simply experience at a course will give you all the info you need. Using the arrow keys is much more relaistic than the pole and if people were serious about a sim experience they would consider that option among others.

It doesn't seem right to argue that scoring is too easy if people continue to use grids, BLI (sometimes together) and the various other assists available in Tour Pro at this time.

The top level of this game should have as few assists as practically possible while maintaining realism. The song remains the same.

• Armand and bortimus like this

#60 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:06 PM

well hooked on the TP.

figuring out draws and fades is cool once you do that tight fairways

are not so bad. played a dozen or so rounds most between even and 4 under 3 over par. 

just shot my best round yet on Bandon Dunes with a -7.

i am looking at it like this Pars are the best anything better is the gravy. so im shooting for pars.

• Affo and Ted_Ball like this

Klipsch Sound System

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users