230 replies to this topic

#201 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

I just tossed one at you in the new swing meter thread, Axe. It misssed, of course. See you there.

But I'm wondering why we clickers can have such a blast theorizing away at swing meters and exploring all their facets in intricate detail, while you mousers are usually sitting on the fence about your chosne specialty. Isn't this an excellent opportunity for you to start dreaming up new or improved mouse motion mechanics? Perhaps even something that might convert an old clicker like me to give it a shot?… 

The TW08 swing meter always struck me as too gaudy, btw. Both its design (yuck) and its functionality (turbo speed) can, and should be improved upon in this game. 

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#202 ray devitt

ray devitt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationrep of ireland

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:25 PM

I have played lots of golf
games and the best swing
meter was in tigerwoods
online.i don't think swing
meters need to be completed

#203 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:55 AM

I just tossed one at you in the new swing meter thread, Axe. It misssed, of course. See you there.

But I'm wondering why we clickers can have such a blast theorizing away at swing meters and exploring all their facets in intricate detail, while you mousers are usually sitting on the fence about your chosne specialty. Isn't this an excellent opportunity for you to start dreaming up new or improved mouse motion mechanics? Perhaps even something that might convert an old clicker like me to give it a shot?… 

The TW08 swing meter always struck me as too gaudy, btw. Both its design (yuck) and its functionality (turbo speed) can, and should be improved upon in this game. 

Sorry, not getting most of this....Went way over my head.. Is ok though, not the first time.

As far as whats in yellow, I haven't even seen what PP has to offer in the True Swing dept. might be a little premature, to start improving on it...

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#204 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:37 AM

When it comes to 3-click meters the speed of the meter should not increase due to the type of shot.  The speed should be constant on a 3-click meter and the only thing that changes is the bottom of the meter (the 6) in terms of how much area on the right or left side of the 6 is considered solid impact.

Examples:

A standard shot width might be   ||||
A chip, pitch or rough width might be |||
A flop and bunker shot width might be ||

Beyond those widths would be an accidental or intentional fade or draw.

I also think there should not be a Power Shot in this game for 3-clickers.

#205 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:44 PM

Sorry, not getting most of this....Went way over my head.. Is ok though, not the first time.

As far as whats in yellow, I haven't even seen what PP has to offer in the True Swing dept. might be a little premature, to start improving on it...

Axe,

That's because this thread is about the Swing Meter. We haven't even started to broach the mechanics of a Tru-Swing method as we have yet to see what PP will offer.

We have seen their suggestions for a swing-meter in previous threads, which is why K11 offered up his alternatives.

I guess that's why the thread is called 'Swing-Meter'.

;)

#206 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:03 PM

Axe,

That's because this thread is about the Swing Meter. We haven't even started to broach the mechanics of a Tru-Swing method as we have yet to see what PP will offer.

We have seen their suggestions for a swing-meter in previous threads, which is why K11 offered up his alternatives.

I guess that's why the thread is called 'Swing-Meter'.

;)

Thank you Daz, maybe k11 will read that! ;) I never mentioned TS in my prior comments/suggestions..

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#207 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

It's a shame that some from the TWO crowd that did the same thing over there, just can't allow themselves to let someone post about 3 click when they TS without crying about it... Last time I checked, there was no rule against it.. I'm not going to play the same game here. 

Out...

• Richard likes this

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#208 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

Axe.  Suffice it to say that people do not read topics thoroughly and even when they do petty arguments will appear forever...

It's the nature of the beast; people behind monitors typing over the Internet "at will".  They would never get into these spats face to face with a real person. 

That's virtual life in forums until the world becomes polite - ...errr - yeah, that'll happen.  :rolleyes:

#209 DaShotShapa

DaShotShapa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:25 AM

A better Q may be worded - can we have options of selecting keys for playing?

Yes that is a better question. Thanks :D

MSI A88X-G43, AMD A10-5800K, PATRIOT PC3-10700 DDR3 16GB, AMD HD RADEON 7700 1GB DDR5, CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER X-FI, WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE

#210 DaShotShapa

DaShotShapa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:21 AM

I wonder how fast the swing meter will go.

MSI A88X-G43, AMD A10-5800K, PATRIOT PC3-10700 DDR3 16GB, AMD HD RADEON 7700 1GB DDR5, CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER X-FI, WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE

#211 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:10 AM

The best swing meter I used in a golf game was Microprose golf in about 2300BC.

The basic concept was that the sweetspot moved position and became smaller depending on the relative difficulty of the shot. So if you were on a sidehill lie with the ball below your feet the natural tendency in real golf is to fade the ball. Therefore the sweet spot on the swing meter was moved to the left and made smaller so anyone used to clicking in the 6 o clock position would tend to impart a fade or slice on it - Genius.

Check out the link below.

Around 7.35 you can also see the result on the sweetspot of swinging further back at what is obviously a higher difficulty setting. The further the backswing goes to create power, the smaller the sweetspot becomes ie when you are into overswing(red) territory on the swing meter, the sweetspot becomes tiny.

I also like the way the downswing always starts from the 12 o clock position even when the shot is very short and the backswing was therefore quite short.

#212 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:57 PM

I loved Microprose Golf. It was such a jump forwards from any previous golf games that I spent ages playing it. It was the first attempt at a simulation rather than just a game. I think it was the first one that let you save your shots too. At the time it looked amazing, with its true 3D! :lol: 

I think you could even choose how high you teed up the ball.... or was that another game? :unsure: 

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#213 AndyJumbo

AndyJumbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

Wow Mike, awesome video, you bring me with it in my far past when i was a kid! Microprose did a lot of good games for those Years!

Anyway that is a good swing concept with great memories !!!

#214 AlanR54NC

AlanR54NC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:58 PM

This looks very similar to how David Ledbetter's Greens worked ( I think also from MicroProse)

Starting sweet spot varied based on lie and club selection. Starting sweet spot then dynamically decreased based on the length of the backswing.  (Sorry no videos) :)

Intel Core2 Duo E6750

4GB Ram

Win 7 64 bit

ATI  Radeon 5700

#215 BladeUK

BladeUK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:46 PM

It is the same game. It was sold as "Greens" in the UK... (and was fantastic at the time).

Dave.

#216 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:48 PM

Al,

I think David Leadbetter's Greens may have been the same game (just titled different for locale). I believe this was the PC version, where MJ's clip was from the Commodore Amiga version.

This was the version I had for my first PC...

!B7P3+Cg!2k~$(KGrHqUOKjsEzJhDOSssBMzq1R8

#217 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:16 AM

I really like the swing meter concepts posted in Mike's video and Dazmaniac's above.  It will be interesting to see what we eventually wind up with.  I have been playing Links with the delayed click swing for so long that seeing swings in real time looks kinda foreign..but in a very good way.

#218 AndyJumbo

AndyJumbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

I agree with you, that was a good way to play golf in those Years with such swing meter concept, i'm sure that we could have a lot of fun with something new & improved from PG's staff.

Thank you for sharing the videos, great memories here !

#219 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

Swing Meter:  Simply stated, a Circular Swing Meter should not be gaudy, invasive or imposing.  The UI should be easy to see and disappear from the screen immediately after ball contact.  The swing meter should have hash marks at the 6, 12 and 2 o'clock positions.   When one swings past the 12 mark towards the 2 mark the end result is more difficulty being able to hit the 6 mark.

Just that simple IMO.

#220 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:08 PM

I believe in even simpler. No hash marks (there are no exacts in a golf swing and visually estimating 6 and 12 is sufficient), and adding a bit on OR taking a bit off is harder to time than one's normal length swing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users