1822 replies to this topic

#761 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:19 PM

...you might be able to get hold of a used/reconditioned XBOX from the previous generation model for a more suitable price.

Is it really a whole new generation?  

More of a half gen to better support 4k gaming if anything, no?

It feels to me that if you're just playing at 1080, the XB1s is the one to get over the X, at least if value is a concern at all.

#762 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:54 PM

Thanks D, but $499 is a bit steep for my pockets.

Wait for Black Friday.....

• MERACE likes this
PC

Xbox One X

Steam ID: DivotMaker

#763 Tresclub

Tresclub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa, CA USA

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:44 PM

AHA, thanks DM.

PerfectGolfMember2.jpg 

“You only live once, do it right, and once is enough."

Windows 10 Home 64-bit |Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz | nVidea GeForce GTX 1070 FTW
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 | 2/Samsung EVO 850 500gb SSD | Corsair 600cx PwrSup
BenQ ZOWIE 27" 1ms LCD HD | DirectX 12 | Realtek High Definition Audio | HD Pro Webcam C920

#764 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:13 AM

Is it really a whole new generation?  

More of a half gen to better support 4k gaming if anything, no?

It feels to me that if you're just playing at 1080, the XB1s is the one to get over the X, at least if value is a concern at all.

I dunno, OK, not latest generation then, just the latest model.

I don't own an XBOX. Was just trying to answer T's question. I don't know how big a leap the X is from the previous model. I was obviously wrong, the X is not the best one then.

#765 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:35 AM

Good advice.

However, IMO, well worth the price at $499. :)

-MERACE

#766 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:01 AM

I dunno, OK, not latest generation then, just the latest model.

I don't own an XBOX. Was just trying to answer T's question. I don't know how big a leap the X is from the previous model. I was obviously wrong, the X is not the best one then.

Oh for sure - I certainly wasn't attacking you or anything - honestly just looking for more clarity on it myself.

It seems like even MS doesn't really view it as "the latest model" in a clear cut fashion, but more of a "if you want 4k, you go X"..."otherwise the S is just fine" sort of thing you know?

• DivotMaker likes this

#767 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 06:19 AM

I think as with the PS4 Pro there are options to play games with more detail with the Xbox one x even at 1080p. There are a bunch of youtube videos showing the differences in various games as it depends on how the game was coded.

Personally I got a PS4 Pro when it was on sale a while back bundled with a bunch of games including GT Sport which I really wanted. I have no regrets paying the extra over a normal model.

#768 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 06:27 AM

I think as with the PS4 Pro there are options to play games with more detail with the Xbox one x even at 1080p. There are a bunch of youtube videos showing the differences in different games as it depends on how the game was coded.

Personally I got a PS4 Pro when it was on sale a while back bundled with a bunch of games including GT Sport which I really wanted. I have no regrets paying the extra over a normal model.

Interesting perspective.

I've had a PS4 Pro before and am now back to a normal Slim.

From what I can gather, that particular delta is not quite as big as the one between the XB1s and XB1 X

To your point though, it really depends upon the games that one is going to play, how they are coded and what context you are playing in (display resolution).

If you're strictly at 1080p gaming, it's a fairly hard value sell to go for an XB1x or PS4 Pro unless you just want to future proof** and budget just isn't a concern...but of course, that depends upon the games and how they perform (or don't) on the normal level hardware.

** future proofing in console situations is usually somewhat spurious. It’s generally most sensible to get the best price on the model that does what you need right now.

#769 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:38 AM

Interesting perspective.

I've had a PS4 Pro before and am now back to a normal Slim.

From what I can gather, that particular delta is not quite as big as the one between the XB1s and XB1 X

To your point though, it really depends upon the games that one is going to play, how they are coded and what context you are playing in (display resolution).

If you're strictly at 1080p gaming, it's a fairly hard value sell to go for an XB1x or PS4 Pro unless you just want to future proof** and budget just isn't a concern...but of course, that depends upon the games and how they perform (or don't) on the normal level hardware.

** future proofing in console situations is usually somewhat spurious. It’s generally most sensible to get the best price on the model that does what you need right now.

I tend to agree.

If you do not have a current gen console my advice would be to go for the top model if you can afford it. If you already have a xbox one or PS4 and don't want 4k you're probably best sticking with what you have.

• MERACE likes this

#770 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:17 PM

Some people who previously owned an Xbox One and traded it in for an Xbox One X that the detail and frame rate improved playing games in 1080 resolution.

I found that to even be the case in playing the backwards compatible Xbox 360 game, Red Dead Redemption.

Speaking of Red Dead Redemption check out these videos of Read Dead Redemption 2 releasing “soon” ;) (October 26th):

https://www.rockstar...eos/video/12100

https://www.rockstar...eos/video/12103

-MERACE

#771 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 04:36 PM

I believe the long awaited patch is out today for TGC2019...with spin updates to follow in the days/weeks ahead on the server side.

Interested to hear from the TGC'ers about any changes and updates and what you all think.

#772 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:56 AM

I believe the long awaited patch is out today for TGC2019...with spin updates to follow in the days/weeks ahead on the server side.

Interested to hear from the TGC'ers about any changes and updates and what you all think.

I see Jeffield is still on his rant - despite the fact he's not even a good player lol

So transparent

Not many changes yet, the server side stuff sounds promising but they're still doing dumb golf stuff like "light rough means less power"  uhhh no, sometimes you hit flyers and the ball goes farther/higher ball speed.

They just don't understand golf at all really, which makes it tough to make a good game.  Oh and they're saying sand means less spin, uhhh nope, opposite there too.

The new official course, they should be ashamed to continually put out such terrible quality courses like that.  They could so easily bring on one of the many talented designers to handle work they obviously don't have the talent to do.

#773 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:47 AM

I see Jeffield is still on his rant - despite the fact he's not even a good player lol

So transparent

Not many changes yet, the server side stuff sounds promising but they're still doing dumb golf stuff like "light rough means less power"  uhhh no, sometimes you hit flyers and the ball goes farther/higher ball speed.

They just don't understand golf at all really, which makes it tough to make a good game.  Oh and they're saying sand means less spin, uhhh nope, opposite there too.

The new official course, they should be ashamed to continually put out such terrible quality courses like that.  They could so easily bring on one of the many talented designers to handle work they obviously don't have the talent to do.

This is exactly why i made my "No faith in HB statement way back when" i got pelters for that at the time but i was pretty much correct in my thinking.  The silly thing is, they could have a great game on their hands with small tweaks to the core elements but we have 3 versions now and none of them quite hit the mark in important areas.  The trouble with HB is that they always think they know best, yes they should be employing a talented designer  (CSUgolfer would be my choice)  they should also be working with local club pros to fine tune the core elements and physics....but they wont.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#774 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:26 AM

Lots of good deals on the Xbox One S out there in the $200 range and that is what I did.  I keep saying I am going to buy a PS4 but I still play The Show 2016 on my PS3 so I have held off on that for now as I can play most everything else on my Xbox One or PC.  I think I will wait for a while till the PS4 comes down and no rush for me at this point.

#775 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 03:27 PM

Lots of good deals on the Xbox One S out there in the $200 range and that is what I did.  I keep saying I am going to buy a PS4 but I still play The Show 2016 on my PS3 so I have held off on that for now as I can play most everything else on my Xbox One or PC.  I think I will wait for a while till the PS4 comes down and no rush for me at this point.

It is kind of funny what keeps us on either ecosystem sometimes…

The X boxes were kind of cheaper across the board but I stuck with a PS4 again for my NHL so I can also play Rory on it, which is only available as a digital download (if you already owned it) or a used disc at this point
  • Greensboronclion likes this

#776 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 05:07 PM

This is exactly why i made my "No faith in HB statement way back when" i got pelters for that at the time but i was pretty much correct in my thinking.  The silly thing is, they could have a great game on their hands with small tweaks to the core elements but we have 3 versions now and none of them quite hit the mark in important areas.  The trouble with HB is that they always think they know best, yes they should be employing a talented designer  (CSUgolfer would be my choice)  they should also be working with local club pros to fine tune the core elements and physics....but they wont.

CSU wouldn't be a choice now, either arcticfury, canuck, or reebs in my view.  I'm not sure I share your view on working with club pro's, not all of them know that much about golf you just need to pass the PAT shooting high 70's and take some business classes.

Fred Couples can't tell you what kind of shaft is in his 3 wood but he sure could play :)

There ARE people who know both if they could somehow find those folks :)

#777 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:48 PM

Spin/Swing tweaks are LIVE and thoughts are flowing in over there.

Good space to watch if interested is here:

http://www.hb-studio...c,26250.30.html

#778 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:49 PM

Speaking of feedback..

@MikeJones:  Got any thoughts so far since you bought the game and presumably have tried it?

#779 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 10:49 PM

Game plays better, the cutting yardage off 3 wood is a hilarious example of them not knowing what they're trying to simulate.

If a PGA tour pro woke up tomorrow and could only carry his 3 wood 247 off the deck he'd jump off a building.  That's a 270 yard carry now by the avg bear and way more for the bigguns.

And how it's so weird is an 8 iron that's a smidge downhill goes 200 lol

They did fix trajectory and spin, still a ton to do

#780 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 10:56 PM

Speaking of feedback..

@MikeJones:  Got any thoughts so far since you bought the game and presumably have tried it?

I've not had time to dig deeply but here are some of my thoughts so far:

Character creator and animation - The creator seems fine but it's nowhere near as powerful as others I have tried so I found it a little frustrating to get a 'look' I was happy with. The clothes options are great and I found myself in the store spending my credits on different outfits which I didn't expect so full marks there. Swing animations seem unchanged from TGC2.

Interface - only dabbled with private rounds so far and everything seemed to work well enough. Again not huge changes in the way courses are selected but a huge improvement in that you can now customise the playing settings. TBH This is long overdue and makes it possible for me to enjoy the game as putting on the higher speeds is just so unrealistic to me I have to dial the greens down to slow or medium to have any resemblance of what I see IRL. I've been using soft ground conditions and very soft greens but I haven't played it since todays server patch. 

Physics - ball flight still seems 'off' as with the longer clubs the ball seems to visually go too low. It may be some odd glitch with the camera FOV etc making it look like that but again it's hard to correlate what I see on screen with what a ball flight looks like IRL. I've been using the mouse swing so far and have made no efforts to hook up a controller yet. The digital on/off aspect of the mouse movement as opposed to something more linear was a bit strange at first but it's not too bad once you get used it. 

Graphics - courses look ok, certain times of day and angles look great and others not so much. I like the SSR and refractive water and especially a thumbs up for the way the ball leaves a trail behind in the sand when it rolls  into a bunker - that's very cool. Sky domes look poor IMO and they could perhaps have come up with something better. 

That's about it really so far but I'm sure I've barely scratched the surface of the game.

PS when I first installed it I had crashes every few holes especially when using the shot shaper or changing shot type. Recently though that's not been a problem so perhaps something got fixed in the patch.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users