1822 replies to this topic

#781 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,536 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:12 AM

Looks like they had to revert the changes to original for now due to gamebreaking issues for some users.

That sucks

#782 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:15 AM

I've not had time to dig deeply but here are some of my thoughts so far:

Character creator and animation - The creator seems fine but it's nowhere near as powerful as others I have tried so I found it a little frustrating to get a 'look' I was happy with. The clothes options are great and I found myself in the store spending my credits on different outfits which I didn't expect so full marks there. Swing animations seem unchanged from TGC2.

Interface - only dabbled with private rounds so far and everything seemed to work well enough. Again not huge changes in the way courses are selected but a huge improvement in that you can now customise the playing settings. TBH This is long overdue and makes it possible for me to enjoy the game as putting on the higher speeds is just so unrealistic to me I have to dial the greens down to slow or medium to have any resemblance of what I see IRL. I've been using soft ground conditions and very soft greens but I haven't played it since todays server patch. 

Physics - ball flight still seems 'off' as with the longer clubs the ball seems to visually go too low. It may be some odd glitch with the camera FOV etc making it look like that but again it's hard to correlate what I see on screen with what a ball flight looks like IRL. I've been using the mouse swing so far and have made no efforts to hook up a controller yet. The digital on/off aspect of the mouse movement as opposed to something more linear was a bit strange at first but it's not too bad once you get used it. 

Graphics - courses look ok, certain times of day and angles look great and others not so much. I like the SSR and refractive water and especially a thumbs up for the way the ball leaves a trail behind in the sand when it rolls  into a bunker - that's very cool. Sky domes look poor IMO and they could perhaps have come up with something better. 

That's about it really so far but I'm sure I've barely scratched the surface of the game.

PS when I first installed it I had crashes every few holes especially when using the shot shaper or changing shot type. Recently though that's not been a problem so perhaps something got fixed in the patch.

Playing TGC with a mouse is like eating a candy bar with a knife and fork

Get that controller hooked up!

#783 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,536 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:19 AM

Playing TGC with a mouse is like eating a candy bar with a knife and fork

Get that controller hooked up!

I'm honestly shocked they even offer it still.

I remember trying it out on TGC1 (mouse play) and it was .... abysmal.

It was up there with "worst sports game interface ever" in my book.

#784 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:21 AM

I'm honestly shocked they even offer it still.

I remember trying it out on TGC1 (mouse play) and it was .... abysmal.

It was up there with "worst sports game interface ever" in my book.

Using a mouse is akin to driving a Buick, it means you're a senior citizen

#785 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:33 AM

Well i have managed to get the try before you buy version...If you know what i mean ;)  Went straight into master clubs and managed a -5 with no drops, could and maybe should have been lower, had a few approach shots where i was accounting for ball slope that had no effect on flight of ball.   The game feels exactly like TGC 2, the short game is still disappointing, just feels clunky and without feel.  Pitching from anywhere between 40 - 70 yds is still way too easy.  Like Mike said, sand splash and ball trail is a cool effect, just a shame the bunkers still look awful. Lighting is improved but you still have that into the sun = great,  back to sun = meh! effect.  Did not find the tempo too difficult but the times i hit a slow or a fast it was hard to tell what i did wrong, would be nice to get that feel of knowing you employed a bad tempo before the ball is hit, its just not that intuitive.  One thing i found really strange was a slow or fast chip from 20ft was penalised more than a slow or fast pitch from 50 yds, just plain silly! Putting feels better, ball does not appear to break straight away, best part of the game by a long way.   Master clubs are much easier than tour clubs in TGC 2, looks like they have dumbed that down in this version, first time playing and i don't think i hit one bad shot.  Basically its TGC 2 with a few niggles fixed and a few new ones created.  I said i would wait for the xmas sale to get this but having now played it i won't be buying at any price, its just not that good.

• Greensboronclion likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#786 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:03 PM

DoGgs,

You may want to wait until all the club & swing tuning changes are done before “finally” giving up on TGC.

At least you can then say that you gave HBS a fair chance to make you a legitimate customer. ;)

-MERACE
  • DoGgs likes this

#787 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:17 PM

DoGgs,

You may want to wait until all the club & swing tuning changes are done before “finally” giving up on TGC.

At least you can then say that you gave HBS a fair chance to make you a legitimate customer. ;)

-MERACE

People still pirate software?

#788 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:19 PM

DoGgs,

-MERACE

I hope they make those changes, the potential is there, but it always seems to be a few niggles that never quite sit right.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#789 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:27 PM

People still pirate software?

I'm sure they do but Steam allows you to try a game out for a couple of hours after purchasing to see if you like it or not. You can get a refund if it's not to your taste.

BTW what's with the 5 yard curve in air on a 50 yard pitch?

#790 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:31 AM

I'm sure they do but Steam allows you to try a game out for a couple of hours after purchasing to see if you like it or not. You can get a refund if it's not to your taste.

BTW what's with the 5 yard curve in air on a 50 yard pitch?

One of the things we've complained about forever - they used to have 10 yard chips blown off line

They just don't really know much about golf

#791 hiltonwelford

hiltonwelford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Locationnew zealand

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:35 AM

bloody hell.. just looked at the price for new zealand. $90. going by the reviews would not pay half that.

#792 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:25 PM

Well i have managed to get the try before you buy version...If you know what i mean ;)  Went straight into master clubs and managed a -5 with no drops, could and maybe should have been lower, had a few approach shots where i was accounting for ball slope that had no effect on flight of ball.   The game feels exactly like TGC 2, the short game is still disappointing, just feels clunky and without feel.  Pitching from anywhere between 40 - 70 yds is still way too easy.  Like Mike said, sand splash and ball trail is a cool effect, just a shame the bunkers still look awful. Lighting is improved but you still have that into the sun = great,  back to sun = meh! effect.  Did not find the tempo too difficult but the times i hit a slow or a fast it was hard to tell what i did wrong, would be nice to get that feel of knowing you employed a bad tempo before the ball is hit, its just not that intuitive.  One thing i found really strange was a slow or fast chip from 20ft was penalised more than a slow or fast pitch from 50 yds, just plain silly! Putting feels better, ball does not appear to break straight away, best part of the game by a long way.   Master clubs are much easier than tour clubs in TGC 2, looks like they have dumbed that down in this version, first time playing and i don't think i hit one bad shot.  Basically its TGC 2 with a few niggles fixed and a few new ones created.  I said i would wait for the xmas sale to get this but having now played it i won't be buying at any price, its just not that good.

I said it earlier in thread that I don't mind the game as long as I treat it as my Arcade version of video golf and I am fine with it. I like the tour atmosphere and swing the club there a couple times a week but to quirky for me to even consider calling it a sim. JNPG just head and shoulders better at every aspect especially ground physics but again a fun experience when I am sitting on the couch for a quick round but it can't replace JNPG as my go to game.

#793 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 12:11 PM

I said it earlier in thread that I don't mind the game as long as I treat it as my Arcade version of video golf and I am fine with it. I like the tour atmosphere and swing the club there a couple times a week but to quirky for me to even consider calling it a sim. JNPG just head and shoulders better at every aspect especially ground physics but again a fun experience when I am sitting on the couch for a quick round but it can't replace JNPG as my go to game.

Neither game is a simulator if mice or gamepads are used as the input.

The idea that the complexity of golf could at ALL be represented while sitting in a chair is so laughable to me I actually wonder if I'm taking crazy pills or something.  

I've played Augusta, Cypress, Pebble, and many of the top 100 courses in the world.  There isn't ANYthing that happens on a screen that makes me feel like I'm simulating being there. 

And what I've never understood is why the desire?  Do people playing a Battlefield game think they're simulating war?  Of course not, why do people who like golf games think they are?  And I've seen the idiot Jeffield throw around his love of mlb the show and how "realistic" it is.  That's so laughable it's actually sad.  I had a buddy who pitched in AA ball for the Braves and asked him to pitch to me once after a softball game.  He told me I really didn't want to do it because I was going to be embarrassed but I thought it couldn't be "that bad".  He threw a curveball that fooled me so bad I fell down and then he threw a fastball I never even saw.  And this idiot Jeffield thinks he's simulating hitting a major league pitcher? lol   

People like him who think they're somehow "better" because they play "without aids" or "true sim" are delusional.  Play 15 at Bethpage Black and stand over your first putt barely able to see because your heart is beating out of your chest having walked up a cliff.  Maybe we need a pulse sensor built it I guess lol

These are games, and can be so much fun, but the idea you're actually accomplishing anything other than spending some time having fun, is crazy.

#794 Goran JoeMen

Goran JoeMen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:41 PM

Sims is a computer genre, it does not mean it is real. Flying sims or submarine sims do not mean you are flying or sailing under water, but you are simulating the real experience. The experience can be less or more close to how it works in real life. I think we all understand that.

• Mike Jones and Greensboronclion like this

http://www.goranmentzer.st

RTS-M pro  -  Intel i5-9600K 3.7ghz  - 16GB  RAM - GeForce RTX 2060 super  - 2560x1440

#795 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:12 PM

Sims is a computer genre, it does not mean it is real. Flying sims or submarine sims do not mean you are flying or sailing under water, but you are simulating the real experience. The experience can be less or more close to how it works in real life. I think we all understand that.

As do I, but neither "game" is anywhere close.

#796 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:40 PM

It matters not if the game is a certain % close to what some people may think of as a sim, what matters is that the game represents golf in how it plays out with each shot type and physic, lets not worry too much about the actual golf experience of being there, only VR can get close to that.  PG does the core elements better than TGC, and by some distance imo.  TGC has always had a few glaring omissions and wonky physics that they have never quite ironed out, partly due to ignorance and partly due to the sycophants like J Eric telling them that their game rocks!  The puck on ice roll out, the putt breaking off the bat, the lack of spin, the overly penal velcro rough, the poor textures that look far from realistic, that silly loft box, flopping from a bunker and poor colliders on trees...the list is longer, but you get the point.  If you actually play golf in real life you find that these faults and omissions just break the immersion and makes you question that representation of golf as you know it.  So basically PG represents golf as i know it pretty well, not perfectly of course, but much closer than TGC manages to achieve.  I think of neither as sims, more gaming representations.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#797 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:32 PM

As do I, but neither "game" is anywhere close.

It's just semantics.  I think it's broadly understood that when people talk about sports games being sim or arcade that they mean more sim-oriented versus more arcade-oriented.  No one in the right mind could think that using a controller to play a video golf game could ever get close to being a legitimate golf simulation.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#798 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:40 PM

It's just semantics.  I think it's broadly understood that when people talk about sports games being sim or arcade that they mean more sim-oriented versus more arcade-oriented.  No one in the right mind could think that using a controller to play a video golf game could ever get close to being a legitimate golf simulation.

I actually think plenty do including guys like jeffield altho I still contend he doesn't want it to be harder for him, he wants it to be harder for everyone else.

And many seem completely focused on the results matching real-life results in regards to scoring etc.  That means they want a game that is played sitting in a chair to give the same results that playing golf in real life does.

Neither of these games is more "sim" or more "arcade" they're both arcade in my opinion but I realize I look at this topic (and many other things lol) a lot different than most.  

#799 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 01:23 AM

New version is the best version of this game since the original TGC came out.

The ball still feels a little floaty but a lot of progress made with this patch.  Still need to fix bunker lies, the flop, but things are looking up.

#800 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 14 October 2018 - 06:43 AM

New version is the best version of this game since the original TGC came out.

The ball still feels a little floaty but a lot of progress made with this patch.  Still need to fix bunker lies, the flop, but things are looking up.

Yer def looking up  :D physics have been vastly improved!

Post patch video...

Qaaa8vE.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users