mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:51 PM

Ugh

HB's insistence on tempo having an effect on golf shots has a ton of people loaded with bad info. Just saw a guy said he sliced for 12 years and only now realizes it's cuz he swung too slow... because HB's game mechanic tempo mechanism is making him think that.

Kinda like people thinking the hit the ball further because of over swing?? LOL!!

Anyone that tries to analyze their real life golf game based on a video game probably deserves any negative consequences that come with it.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#842 Jwheels9876

Jwheels9876

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 05:30 PM

Ugh

HB's insistence on tempo having an effect on golf shots has a ton of people loaded with bad info. Just saw a guy said he sliced for 12 years and only now realizes it's cuz he swung too slow... because HB's game mechanic tempo mechanism is making him think that.

Wow, that's the best 50 bucks that guy ever spent. It cured his slice just playing a videogame.. who needs lessons, I'm gonna go buy TGC 2019 and see if it will help me to stop hooking my driver lol

#843 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:10 AM

So what's the vibe and reception over at HB, as seen by those of you following it closely?

Everyone happy?

Thrilled?

(other than those who liked to cheat and loved the loft box precision I mean..)

#844 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:15 AM

This comment except caught my eye, especially the parts in bold

Now that they messed around with the yardage and loft, short game between 20-50 yards is almost impossible. Adding loft to your pitches does hardly anything. Max lofting a LW pitch takes about 5 yards off, which makes shots between 30-50 yards impossible. Game encourages you to take shorter backswings but the mechanic for that is extremely tacky and broken. A few inches of backswing ends up in a 60-70% swing. You end up with 75 degree slices / hooks by a fast or slow downswing when pitching, which is unheard of. Missing your putting line left or right doesn't send it straight to that direction, but the ball slowly CURVES to the direction. I've noticed this on straight in putts when I miss the putting line.

There's too much artificial stuff in the game for me.

There's just too much BS that shouldn't be happening in golf right now in TGC2019.

#845 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 18 October 2018 - 01:49 AM

Buck - the essence of the quote you posted says it all.  If your game starts off with questionable physics models ( collision, flight, and ground interaction), when you attempt to fine-tune things after-the-fact, at the end of the day you're still playing with bad physics.  The end result still looks funny.

At least with PG1 I can see the fundamental physics in 9 shots out of 10.  Of all the golf games I've played, going back to Mean 18, PG1 has the most complete set of physics subroutines that I've seen.  That's the main reason I keep playing it.  It's almost there, and I want to see it completed.  I wish Andrew would jump in here to talk about some of his programing thoughts - he deserves some credit for what he's done so far.

It's the extras that are missing right now.  Career modes for FedEx Cup, Ryder and Presidents Cup, etc would be nice.  An LPGA Tour if you ever want to appeal to the female audience. Even TGC2019 can't seem to get this right.  Knowing what I would want in a Career mode, I've started to create my own (spreadsheet with macros).  It's very single player oriented - something that's said to be a "dead" market.  I don't think it is, but that's just my opinion (~60yr old and I'm one of the younger ones on here).

Now................................................get off my lawn.

• Buck likes this

#846 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 18 October 2018 - 02:44 AM

So what's the vibe and reception over at HB, as seen by those of you following it closely?

Everyone happy?
Thrilled?
(other than those who liked to cheat and loved the loft box precision I mean..)

Many folks are happy. Most (if not all) of the unhappy folks are just pissed that they no longer have God-like dial-a-distance capabilities with the loft box any longer.

The flop shot needs some love but the game is better now than it's ever been.

I'm guessing though, that if you weren't ever a fan of any of the prior iterations then this one most likely won't sway you.

JNPG still has a much better handle on the physics side of things.
  • DivotMaker likes this

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#847 adx321

adx321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 18 October 2018 - 06:33 PM

Buck - the essence of the quote you posted says it all.  If your game starts off with questionable physics models ( collision, flight, and ground interaction), when you attempt to fine-tune things after-the-fact, at the end of the day you're still playing with bad physics.  The end result still looks funny.

At least with PG1 I can see the fundamental physics in 9 shots out of 10.  Of all the golf games I've played, going back to Mean 18, PG1 has the most complete set of physics subroutines that I've seen.  That's the main reason I keep playing it.  It's almost there, and I want to see it completed.  I wish Andrew would jump in here to talk about some of his programing thoughts - he deserves some credit for what he's done so far.

It's the extras that are missing right now.  Career modes for FedEx Cup, Ryder and Presidents Cup, etc would be nice.  An LPGA Tour if you ever want to appeal to the female audience. Even TGC2019 can't seem to get this right.  Knowing what I would want in a Career mode, I've started to create my own (spreadsheet with macros).  It's very single player oriented - something that's said to be a "dead" market.  I don't think it is, but that's just my opinion (~60yr old and I'm one of the younger ones on here).

Now................................................get off my lawn.

And others (me) think even a second spent on career anything is a waste.

TGC Tours does that way better than HB does so they should concentrate on things they can control imo.

#848 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:01 PM

And others (me) think even a second spent on career anything is a waste.

TGC Tours does that way better than HB does so they should concentrate on things they can control imo.

There's a definitely a big open void for single player career mode in any sports game if you ask me.  The games that do it well (MLB the Show, FIFA, etc) create a huge value for the gamer which keeps them coming back for more.  I've yet to see anyone do a good job with a golf game.  TGC 2019 is decent but it's still got a ways to go.  I'm hoping (but doubtful) that 2K will help out here.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#849 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:15 PM

There's a definitely a big open void for single player career mode in any sports game if you ask me.

I've yet to see anyone do a good job with a golf game.  

I thought TW14 did it pretty well - and had an AWESOME course list if you bought all the DLC

#850 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:27 PM

This spreadsheet FedEx Cup simulation isn't bad.

http://www.perfectpa...ason-simulator/

#851 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:08 PM

I've been playing a bit here and there. Finally the ability to set up courses with custom conditions has arrived - 5 years late but better late than never! Without that I would already have stopped playing the game. 

Most annoying feature - the pitching is a complete travesty. When you are slightly off with your swing the ball curves around in a farcical manner. The real difficulty of pitching is not the direction but the ability to control distance. This just seems like a completely fudged solution to offset the ease of distance control of short shots.

• Greensboronclion likes this

#852 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:11 PM

Most annoying feature - the pitching is a complete travesty. When you are slightly off with your swing the ball curves around in a farcical manner. The real difficulty of pitching is not the direction but the ability to control distance. This just seems like a completely fudged solution to offset the ease of distance control of short shots.

Mike,
I would argue that TrackNicklaus Perfect Golf suffers from a similar issue in regards to pitching and chipping. Instead of tempo or snap errors causing primarily offline pitches and chips, why not apply the fat/thin mechanic to all short game shots? It would make play around the greens much more engaging.

Sorry if this was off topic but... Mike you know it’s true!
  • Buck, jmk59 and IanK like this

#853 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:15 PM

TrackNicklaus Perfect Golf

Brilliant Bortimus!!

I can't believe that never occurred to anyone here before.

We gotta' refer to it as that from now on!

#854 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:16 PM

For a second there, I thought you were talking about PG2 and new custom setup conditions like choosing specific tees and pins by hole.

But then I realized this is the TGC2019 thread and what you said makes sense.

#855 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:39 PM

Mike,
I would argue that TrackNicklaus Perfect Golf suffers from a similar issue in regards to pitching and chipping. Instead of tempo or snap errors causing primarily offline pitches and chips, why not apply the fat/thin mechanic to all short game shots? It would make play around the greens much more engaging.

You can probably have offline and fat/thin with RTSM but how will you implement all of that with 3 click and RTSC?  These two devices are limited.   

As for JNPG short game physics, short chips from below the green are my biggest gripes.  The bounce physics with these shots have been wrong for a very long time.  The ball can stop on a dime or sometimes spin back.  Hope it gets looked at in PG2.

#856 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:41 PM

Hope it gets looked at in <<redacted>>.

#857 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 12:31 AM

You can probably have offline and fat/thin with RTSM but how will you implement all of that with 3 click and RTSC? These two devices are limited.

As for JNPG short game physics, short chips from below the green are my biggest gripes. The bounce physics with these shots have been wrong for a very long time. The ball can stop on a dime or sometimes spin back. Hope it gets looked at in PG2.

3Click already has the fat/thin mechanic on flops and splashes, so it could be applied on chips and pitches as well.

RTC is the outlier because it doesn’t have a rhythm or snap component that translates to a fat/thin output.

I’m not a fan of limiting interesting and forward thinking swing style possibilities in an attempt to “equalize”. It leads to everything having to conform to the least advanced mechanics.

A nice compromise would be options in solo play that allow each swing style to be fully explored and developed.

#858 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 19 October 2018 - 01:12 AM

Waiting for PG 2 is almost as bad as waiting for the new Tool album.
  • DivotMaker likes this

#859 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:28 AM

Mike,
I would argue that 'JackNicklaus' Perfect Golf suffers from a similar issue in regards to pitching and chipping. Instead of tempo or snap errors causing primarily offline pitches and chips, why not apply the fat/thin mechanic to all short game shots? It would make play around the greens much more engaging.

There is nothing similar in the way the ball curves around on those short shots - completely breaks the immersion for me.

Maybe if you are using click in JNPG it's easier to dial in the distance you want but with the RTS I think adding an extra mechanic for fat/thin would make the short game too difficult. 

#860 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 19 October 2018 - 03:08 PM

I love the pitch and chip shot in this game, I play amateur partly because I don't play enough to have fun playing pro where everything goes offline so much easier if you don't have the perfect tempo and god forbid tour because that is impossible almost to play. But the pitch shot is not dial a distance in this game, most often you have to use great touch because the sensitivity is so great on RTS you really have to pay attention to how far you take it back and still follow thru good otherwise it's way past where you need to stop it but I like this, again I can't imagine trying to play this shot on tour if it's even harder there maybe trying to keep it online more.

Chipping is also very good (unless yes specified above if you are below the green it can check up on you easy) but I have made some shots but when I played TGC2 chipping was almost like a %65 chance you were going to chip in because all you really had to do was allow for the wind and slope. 

That is why I finally convinced my friends to play JNPG because TGC2 was just to damn easy. Plus a couple of my friends do not like using controllers and you can't pretty much play that game with a mouse. I am a mouse guy and always have been for golf games but even I could not get use to it at all. If I wanted to use a controller i'd buy a damn console..........

Even though TGC2019 might be a tad harder on the hardest setting it's probably still way to easy and I just don't want nothing to do with that game anymore, you lose me once I won't be coming back.

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor