1822 replies to this topic

#881 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:59 AM

I took the plunge and bought The Golf Club 2019 due to the fact that it was selling at £14.99 at the 2K store.
I can honestly say that apart from the online part of the game it's the most disappointing golf title that I have ever purchased.
I always play golf games on their hardest setting because I prefer a challenge rather than knocking everything straight.
To say the game is frustrating is a gross understatement and it appears to me that they've not learnt anything from their last title.
Chipping is terrible yet again and pitching isn't much better. Please can someone who likes TGC tell me why chip shots still pull up so unrealistically quickly and why all chips seem to go directly to the left? Pitching is difficult to play with any deftness because the animation of the golfer is so poor.
It's hard to play shots at less than 100% again because of the poor golfer animation. Give me Harry the Hacker and his animation any day.
I could go on about other aspects of the game that annoy me intensely but it's pretty much all been said before by others.
Again, the only part of TGC 2019 that is better than TGC2 is the fact that online play is now real time. I only play against my brother on a 1:1 basis so I can't comment about the match making part.
If PG2 ever arrives I'm pretty sure it will knock spots off this pathetic offering.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#882 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:59 PM

Just curious, any updates worth mentioning? How’s it playing?

Worth a look on PS4?

#883 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:43 PM

No updates of any note, game is based off 100% hits, forget trying to play partial shots. miss that tempo in the short game and it will overly punish you in a totally unrealistic way. Game still feels clunky and devoid of any feel when chipping, flopping or pitching.  Putting is ok but thats about it imo.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#884 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:18 PM

Yeah it's almost impossible to hit partial shots and all about tempo. I still play it tho as at least there is some atmosphere and I don't feel like I am out playing with nobody around. If they ever get the swing mechanics and the game on the ground right it will be a contender imo. It's such a shame JNPG has no crowds or a career as it would have been a killer game with it and that is a shame.

#885 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 09 December 2018 - 07:00 PM

I had the chance to get it for half price, so I went ahead and bought it on an impulse. My brother got it for his PS4 and talked me into getting it so I could do some courses for him to play.

The course designer is obviously more geared to the novice than PG is; first and foremost there is no Unity. It's nice to have a whole bunch of preset stuff like standard shapes (with splines also an option) and a whole bunch of pre-made objects like houses, flags, tee markers, etc. I was able to make a couple of full 18 hole playable courses just within 3 or 4 days and probably could have published both of them right away. The quality of user designed courses, as I expected, varies wildly and is, for the most part, disappointing. The worst thing is the way they are sorted; the entire thing is a random jumble and you can only bring up eight at a time.

Of course, the big thing is there is no customization at all, of anything, and I think ultimately long term the advanced designer will find that quite limiting. After awhile I think you can only do so much with eight themes and limited numbers of trees and objects... which are all really well made and look great, but again, you have only so many. It is also frustrating not being able to mix and match; most plants are only available with one theme.

I won't comment on game play too much because that's kind of been widely covered. I will say I quite like the mouse swing, but I do find trying to hit shots less than 100% to be extremely maddening, and putting feels like a guess. Most rounds I have played so far, I'll hit 15 or 16 greens in regulation but shoot 75 because I can't putt.

• Greensboronclion likes this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#886 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 09 December 2018 - 07:05 PM

whats ur course called matt i'll give it a whirl

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#887 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 07:17 PM

I haven't put any out yet.... I'm sort of trying to figure out the etiquette; I don't know if you are supposed to beta test them or just throw them out there.

I'm guessing most of them don't get tested based on what I've seen, but I'd still like to do it properly and establish a good standard for myself.

#888 ArcadeHack

ArcadeHack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 December 2018 - 08:11 PM

I haven't put any out yet.... I'm sort of trying to figure out the etiquette; I don't know if you are supposed to beta test them or just throw them out there.

I'm guessing most of them don't get tested based on what I've seen, but I'd still like to do it properly and establish a good standard for myself.

That’s a big hang up with the game. You can’t publish the course then delete it. You’ll see 1 course with multiple versions. It’s annoying. You think they’d have a system in place by now to let designers delete as needed. It’s a freakin mess tryin to find a good course with all the garbage auto designed courses out there. To me it detracts from the game.

#889 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 08:35 PM

I had the chance to get it for half price, so I went ahead and bought it on an impulse. My brother got it for his PS4 and talked me into getting it so I could do some courses for him to play.

The course designer is obviously more geared to the novice than PG is; first and foremost there is no Unity. It's nice to have a whole bunch of preset stuff like standard shapes (with splines also an option) and a whole bunch of pre-made objects like houses, flags, tee markers, etc. I was able to make a couple of full 18 hole playable courses just within 3 or 4 days and probably could have published both of them right away. The quality of user designed courses, as I expected, varies wildly and is, for the most part, disappointing. The worst thing is the way they are sorted; the entire thing is a random jumble and you can only bring up eight at a time.

Of course, the big thing is there is no customization at all, of anything, and I think ultimately long term the advanced designer will find that quite limiting. After awhile I think you can only do so much with eight themes and limited numbers of trees and objects... which are all really well made and look great, but again, you have only so many. It is also frustrating not being able to mix and match; most plants are only available with one theme.

I won't comment on game play too much because that's kind of been widely covered. I will say I quite like the mouse swing, but I do find trying to hit shots less than 100% to be extremely maddening, and putting feels like a guess. Most rounds I have played so far, I'll hit 15 or 16 greens in regulation but shoot 75 because I can't putt.

The lack of user customisation and the use of cookie cutter terrain shapes plus you could only work with the limited objects and looks that they deemed you should have caused me to jump ship long before even TGC2. It was something that was regularly conveyed to the then hierarchy by a number of people but right from the top there was no sympathy ever forthcoming. Once again it was an ethos of we give you what we want you to have. The present owners/managers haven't really changed anything significant about these things but the root of all this inflexibility lies squarely with the original mob. I recall seeing several videos where staff would be answering questions from users and sometimes hint that changes might be on the way but would then get slapped down a day or two later straight from the top. What a relief to find PG1 had come along and be able to draw shapes and use customised textures and objects again.

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#890 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:12 AM

Yep, it's a nice change of pace and a good outlet for me to do fictional stuff. I'm enjoying it for what it is but as long as PP progresses and things like the 3D grass come in, I don't think it will ever supplant it.

That's the other issue - there isn't any way to use elevation data so doing any real course is a guess.

#891 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:29 AM

Imo Its not worth the effort to make real courses in GNCD you slave over every aspect only too find the textures are not quite right and you lack the objects required, and also you may hit the ceiling in regards to planting.  I did TPC Boston and it was the most painful experience, you have to measure everything...distance between tees, distance between tees and fw, widths and lengths of everything etc etc its just not an enjoyable experience, I also hit the ceiling with planting and the course would not publish until i removed half of my grasses which kinda ruined the look and feel... kudos to the few who have knocked out more than one real life course...that's dedication right there.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#892 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:10 PM

Imo Its not worth the effort to make real courses in GNCD you slave over every aspect only too find the textures are not quite right and you lack the objects required, and also you may hit the ceiling in regards to planting.  I did TPC Boston and it was the most painful experience, you have to measure everything...distance between tees, distance between tees and fw, widths and lengths of everything etc etc its just not an enjoyable experience, I also hit the ceiling with planting and the course would not publish until i removed half of my grasses which kinda ruined the look and feel... kudos to the few who have knocked out more than one real life course...that's dedication right there.

I'm not sure how some of these designers actually have the gumption to stick with the RCRs!  The amount of effort involved has got to be extraordinary!  Nevertheless (and thankfully) there are some truly wonderful RCRs in TGC!

JNPG's designer is far more advanced and capable though.  There's no doubt about that.  We will never know but it would've been interesting to see how they handled taking JNPG to the consoles.  I'm thinking that the designer would've never made the port.   

• MERACE and Greensboronclion like this

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#893 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 13 December 2018 - 06:54 PM

Patch out today, might be good news for mousers..

Reworked our mouse tracking solution/system to offer precision movement tracking.
•   Re-balanced the swing tempo to improve consistency.
•   Re-balanced the swing plane sensitivity to bring the mouse in-line with controllers. Offering mouse and controller users more parity between input difficulties.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#894 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 07:05 PM

Patch out today, might be good news for mousers..

Reworked our mouse tracking solution/system to offer precision movement tracking.
•   Re-balanced the swing tempo to improve consistency.
•   Re-balanced the swing plane sensitivity to bring the mouse in-line with controllers. Offering mouse and controller users more parity between input difficulties.

I'm hard pressed to believe their mouse swing will ever tempt RTS-M users from here (as one example anyhow).

RTS-M is the coup de grâce in the mouse golf swing input world..

#895 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 12:42 AM

I've published a beta, called Casa Verde, and I'm registered on the HB forums now, for anyone who is also there.

For anyone worried that I'm defecting to TGC for good, you can relax. I don't plan on quitting PG designing anytime soon; I just needed a bit of a break and a change after throwing all my energy into the Par 3 contest and my unsuccessful Trackman job application. Things are obviously pretty slow around here lately and I kinda felt like tapping into a new audience for awhile. I might publish a couple of TGC courses and then I'm going to find a real course to do in PP using the overhead technique.... maybe I'll finally get started on Commonwealth GC as I think it might work well for the sandbelt style.

I think the most likely outcome, for now anyway, is that I'm feeling more inclined to do most of my fictional designing in TGC and use Course Forge for real course recreation work.

• KenR, cajuncapgun, JCat04 and 2 others like this

#896 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 14 December 2018 - 01:18 AM

I've published a beta, called Casa Verde, and I'm registered on the HB forums now, for anyone who is also there.

For anyone worried that I'm defecting to TGC for good, you can relax. I don't plan on quitting PG designing anytime soon; I just needed a bit of a break and a change after throwing all my energy into the Par 3 contest and my unsuccessful Trackman job application. Things are obviously pretty slow around here lately and I kinda felt like tapping into a new audience for awhile. I might publish a couple of TGC courses and then I'm going to find a real course to do in PP using the overhead technique.... maybe I'll finally get started on Commonwealth GC as I think it might work well for the sandbelt style.

I think the most likely outcome, for now anyway, is that I'm feeling more inclined to do most of my fictional designing in TGC and use Course Forge for real course recreation work.

Awesome!  I'll give your new course a go.  I've always been curious to see what some of the quality JNPG designers could do in TGC.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#897 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 02:46 AM

For some reason it's showing the red tee yardages

#898 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 03:49 PM

Disappointing patch to go with an already disappointing game. Only the chipping seems better to me.
Two balls, one on top of the other, now appear on the tee if you're hitting first in online play.
I also get constant disconnects if I'm playing the poor career mode.
I'm glad I only paid £14.99.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#899 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 14 December 2018 - 04:52 PM

For some reason it's showing the red tee yardages

For some reason they all show the Red tee yardages and you have to set the other tees. Looking forward to giving your course a try this weekend.

#900 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:33 PM

Played Matts course, already one of the best courses in the game.  No trickery, no massively over sized grasses, rocks and bunkers ( a trick the popular designers use to help make a course pop )  I hate it, its all fine until you have to play from grass that's as tall as a shed, then its just ridiculous....Good job matt, enjoyed it.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)