1822 replies to this topic

#901 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:34 PM

Anyone have any screenshots to share of Matt's course?

Much appreciated if so..

(no way to see it as I don't own TGC 2019 and have no present plans to buy it)

#902 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:43 PM

Disappointing patch to go with an already disappointing game. Only the chipping seems better to me.
Two balls, one on top of the other, now appear on the tee if you're hitting first in online play.
I also get constant disconnects if I'm playing the poor career mode.
I'm glad I only paid £14.99.

Yep i get constant disconnects, not just from the game...my whole net cuts off for a min or two.  No other game does that its weird.  Since this patch i get constant slow on backswing...and i mean constant, nothing i can do about it, can't take back faster than i have been, its so bad i have had to drop to pro just to get a perfect tempo, only happens with 360 pad, tried my step son's xbone pad and its fine...they fix one thing and screw another.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#903 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:58 PM

Much appreciated if so..

I'll show a few later, working on a course myself, forgot how to use half the stuff lol.

• Buck likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#904 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:50 PM

TGC live stream: 

Course i'm working on plus a play thru of matts casa verde..excuse the quality, forgot to change settings.

• balaceanca81 and Greensboronclion like this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#905 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:52 PM

Much appreciated if so..

kcDcJjy.jpg

CMwEFhX.jpg

• Greensboronclion likes this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#906 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 15 December 2018 - 01:56 AM

I've published a beta, called Casa Verde, and I'm registered on the HB forums now, for anyone who is also there.

For anyone worried that I'm defecting to TGC for good, you can relax. I don't plan on quitting PG designing anytime soon; I just needed a bit of a break and a change after throwing all my energy into the Par 3 contest and my unsuccessful Trackman job application. Things are obviously pretty slow around here lately and I kinda felt like tapping into a new audience for awhile. I might publish a couple of TGC courses and then I'm going to find a real course to do in PP using the overhead technique.... maybe I'll finally get started on Commonwealth GC as I think it might work well for the sandbelt style.

I think the most likely outcome, for now anyway, is that I'm feeling more inclined to do most of my fictional designing in TGC and use Course Forge for real course recreation work.

Really nice course Matthew!  Played it and favorited it.  I hope you keep 'em coming!

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#907 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 03:40 PM

I concur, played course yesterday and really enjoyed it. Nice routing with a realistic parkland feel to it. Look forward to more in the future.
Ken

#908 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 08:41 PM

It took me about a week and a half! The speed is pretty amazing. I already have another one I could release tomorrow if I wanted, but I'm still making some decisions on planting.

I've built so many golf holes this month that I feel like I'm starting to run out of ideas....

#909 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:12 PM

I’m not really convinced that it’s so wonderful that people can crank out courses so quickly for that game…

I mean I totally understand that if it’s too time-consuming nobody does it but it seems like you can be too far the other direction where it’s so easy that you end up with what they have which is tens of thousands of courses of garbage

And then as part of that arrangement you end up with the course designer that, as has been discussed, is so hamstrung that ultimately everything ends up looking somewhat like everything else.

It feels good initially as a decision but long-term it’s a shame that the course design software isnt more powerful and flexible for those that want to put the time and energy in.

#910 KChavis

KChavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 16 December 2018 - 02:14 AM

M. Rose....I played Casa Verde....looks great (not sure what your secret is with the textures, even in PG), plays great.....You're one of the best....thanks so much!

#911 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 16 December 2018 - 03:00 AM

Matt I played your course today and loved it. I was going along pretty good till #11 where my follow thru was very fast and I plucked two balls in the water and took a 7.. Great course and please give us some more as I love your efforts here and there.

#912 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 05:08 AM

I’m not really convinced that it’s so wonderful that people can crank out courses so quickly for that game…

I mean I totally understand that if it’s too time-consuming nobody does it but it seems like you can be too far the other direction where it’s so easy that you end up with what they have which is tens of thousands of courses of garbage

And then as part of that arrangement you end up with the course designer that, as has been discussed, is so hamstrung that ultimately everything ends up looking somewhat like everything else.

It feels good initially as a decision but long-term it’s a shame that the course design software isnt more powerful and flexible for those that want to put the time and energy in.

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it right now but there is an element of instant gratification to it. Ultimately it will never been as satisfying long term because there's nothing customizable and there's no way to use elevation data so if you want to do a real course it becomes very difficult. I also find only having four pin positions to be limiting. I have a feeling once I've used every theme a couple of times that I'll get short on inspiration.

And there is no quality control or ability to delete beta versions.... so you really gotta filter through a whole bunch of noise. 

#913 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:25 AM

M. Rose....I played Casa Verde....looks great (not sure what your secret is with the textures, even in PG), plays great.....You're one of the best....thanks so much!

Believe it or not, those are all stock textures. I guess I just picked what I thought matched... the only thing you can change is the intensity and width of the mowing lines. For stock textures I think they are nice, although there are three or four options in each set that are so ugly and garish that I can't see why they are included.

And I'm really mystified by the bunker lips... on this course it doesn't look particularly bad, but on some of the other themes, the bunkers have really odd rings of texture around them that don't match the sand or the grass, and you can't change it.

#914 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 16 December 2018 - 08:13 AM

Yeah their bunkers have always been an issue, they lack definition and just seem to appear flat, with the course i'm working on at the moment, i go around the back or side of each bunker and raise the ground slightly, just help give them some definition, its a bit more time consuming but they look better.

YRe0Fyt.jpg

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#915 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 16 December 2018 - 01:54 PM

This is all true. As a result you have to work a little harder to find quality courses but once you get a good process going there's a steady supply of courses that rate anywhere from very good to excellent.

Of course the downside is that I'm likely missing some hidden gems as well.
  • Buck likes this

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#916 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:13 PM

I dunno, from a "gamer's" perspective, it all looks really nice to me.   I am sure the designers out there have a different view of things, but for me, I have been checking out some screenshots of some of the courses and many are really, really nice.   I have not bought the game yet, but as time goes on and with ZERO going on with PG (current an maybe PG2), I am leaning towards picking it up.   How bad can the game play be anyway?   Sure it will be different from PG, so what?   I will just have to learn to adjust, enjoy the best I can and try to have fun while doing it.    

#917 ArcadeHack

ArcadeHack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:36 PM

I dunno, from a "gamer's" perspective, it all looks really nice to me. I am sure the designers out there have a different view of things, but for me, I have been checking out some screenshots of some of the courses and many are really, really nice. I have not bought the game yet, but as time goes on and with ZERO going on with PG (current an maybe PG2), I am leaning towards picking it up. How bad can the game play be anyway? Sure it will be different from PG, so what? I will just have to learn to adjust, enjoy the best I can and try to have fun while doing it.

It’s a fun game to play. You will have your “WTF” moments when playing with the quirks the game offers. But overall it’s enjoyable. Just leave your “Uber omg this is nowhere near realistic hardcore ultra sim thoughts at the door when you play” and you’ll be fine.
  • MERACE and Greensboronclion like this

#918 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 12:53 PM

It’s a fun game to play. You will have your “WTF” moments when playing with the quirks the game offers. But overall it’s enjoyable. Just leave your “Uber omg this is nowhere near realistic hardcore ultra sim thoughts at the door when you play” and you’ll be fine.

Ha Ha!   Thanks Arcade.. when it comes to video games in general, I never ever took em that serious...  All games have their quirks, but its all about the fun for me.  Always has, always will be...  Not into comparing game from game or  over the top ideology that "its not sim enough" and too arcade.   If the game is fun enough, then it is for me.     

#919 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 17 December 2018 - 01:10 PM

Its never been a dead loss of a golf game, after TGC all i asked for was a more nuanced short game because chipping is prob the worst aspect of the game, pitching was way too easy and the flop is still as bad as it ever was. I just thought they concentrated so much on this tempo element they ignored the small things.  I have no doubt also that this tempo is sometimes random on master clubs, on pro i can hit PP pretty much every time, on master i can hit a very fast or very slow and have no explanation for it, there is nothing to identify how i can hit a very fast when it feels just like any other good swing.  Whats also weird is on their range or in practice swing mode i never ever hit a very fast or very slow, yet on  course i see a couple each round with no obvious reason for it happening, if you can't pinpoint what you did wrong then its random, with PG's swing i know exactly what i have done if i slice one, and i know how to attempt to correct it.

• Greensboronclion likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#920 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:47 PM

I'm fairly sure that there is no random tempo built into the game.  I think it comes down to framerates.  I'm playing on a machine that consistently yields FPS into the upper 70's and 80's and I haven't experienced anything that would make me wonder if there are random tempo elements built in.  

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users