1822 replies to this topic

#921 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 05:22 PM

Do they really still not have any dedicated Bunker shot?

(saw that complaint on their forum)

#922 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 17 December 2018 - 05:34 PM

I always seem to get the very fast or slow near the water hole and my ball takes a swim.. I agree with DoGgs that I can not see it with Pro but I get it with Master clubs but I am good with that. It is not a simulation and has it's quirks but still it is fun to play and pretty much play as much it as PG right now. Other than the RTS Tour event that's all I play at PG as I just want to sit clicking a mouse and want to use a controller. I think both tours that sponser PG events dropped the ball banning controllers as it will not get new people into the game and their fields are dwindling. The clickers are shooting 53's at the top of the leaderboard so why ban the controllers. I play a legit controller and barely sniff par. TGC 2019 doesn't restrict me and that is why I play there now.
  • RobV likes this

#923 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 17 December 2018 - 07:21 PM

I always seem to get the very fast or slow near the water hole and my ball takes a swim.. I agree with DoGgs that I can not see it with Pro but I get it with Master clubs but I am good with that. It is not a simulation and has it's quirks but still it is fun to play and pretty much play as much it as PG right now. Other than the RTS Tour event that's all I play at PG as I just want to sit clicking a mouse and want to use a controller. I think both tours that sponser PG events dropped the ball banning controllers as it will not get new people into the game and their fields are dwindling. The clickers are shooting 53's at the top of the leaderboard so why ban the controllers. I play a legit controller and barely sniff par. TGC 2019 doesn't restrict me and that is why I play there now.

Seeing as how it happens near a water hole really makes my point.  It's FPS driven and not some random tempo that they built into the game.  The reason you see it more on Master clubs versus Pro clubs is because the tempo windows are tighter on Master clubs so it's more susceptible than Pro clubs.

But I do agree with everything you've said.  

I think HBS has at least built a foundation that may allow them to move the game forward in a very positive way if they chose to do so.  But right now they certainly seem SUPER keyed into the beginner players that they are leaving a lot to be desired for the sim crowd.

• Greensboronclion likes this

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#924 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 17 December 2018 - 07:23 PM

Do they really still not have any dedicated Bunker shot?

(saw that complaint on their forum)

They have the right shot.  They've just labeled it as a flop shot and that irks a few folks.  All they need to do is display it as a blast shot (or something) when in a greenside bunker instead of labeling it as a flop shot.  I don't think the actual shot execution or visual would even need to change as it's behaving roughly as one might expect it to.

• KenR and Buck like this

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#925 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 17 December 2018 - 07:55 PM

The tempo thing about water holes is interesting.

I feel like I lose 20 yards off the tee if I'm playing a par-five.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#926 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:57 PM

Just released a course called Marsten House cc if anyone wants to give it a whirl.

• RobV and Greensboronclion like this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#927 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 11:27 PM

Does TGC19 have Alternate Shot?  I know it doesnt have scramble.

#928 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 11:29 PM

I feel like I am noticing the slow but steady migration of many long time PG people over to TGC

(simply due to stagnation here for most people I think - hard to blame 'em)

#929 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:16 AM

That was inevitable Buck. I played my RTS round today and felt like I was by myself out on the course and it's not as much fun. There is no doubt in my mind that JNPG plays much better but there is no atmosphere and just not as many players anymore. Both tours should open it up to all swings again and play every event using handicap. Where there is handicap the events are fun and competitive but where there isn't the same two people seem to win by huge amounts each week and people get tired of getting stompted. The RTS and Classic are the best events at PGLS and both are handicap. At TGC 2019 you use what swing you want with big fields and lots of atmosphere but more arcade but also more fun.

#930 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:29 AM

They have the right shot.  They've just labeled it as a flop shot and that irks a few folks.  All they need to do is display it as a blast shot (or something) when in a greenside bunker instead of labeling it as a flop shot.  I don't think the actual shot execution or visual would even need to change as it's behaving roughly as one might expect it to.

I think this is exactly right... greenside bunker shots play just like they should (imo), they just need to label the shot as a splash shot (or bunker shot, whatever they prefer), and change nothing except the name.

Ken

#931 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 18 December 2018 - 02:11 AM

I think this is exactly right... greenside bunker shots play just like they should (imo), they just need to label the shot as a splash shot (or bunker shot, whatever they prefer), and change nothing except the name.

100% disagree, there is nothing granular about the swing for flops and chip shots, go play the same shot in PG and see just how many degrees you have to work with compared to TGC.  the flop is the same as TGC 1 they said they wanted to rework the shot because they knew it was poor and all they did was assign a tempo to it.

As for defecting, Buck keep your money in your pocket, its not a terrible game but PG plays a better all round game imo, i have picked random courses to play but finding it a grind to complete 18 holes.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#932 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 02:20 AM

As for defecting, Buck keep your money in your pocket

Oh there's very little danger of me going anywhere - I'd really just observed the defections of others.

Honestly, I prefer firing up Rory when I want eye candy and a round with some tournament atmosphere, etc

(I know - I'm on my own here - but I still like Rory)

• DoGgs likes this

#933 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 18 December 2018 - 02:28 AM

A friend of mine picked up TGC for his xbone x about a month ago, we used to play together all the time back on tiger 08 - 10  he's not feeling the love with TGC and mentioned getting Rory, i told him that MP is no longer supported, is that right?  Think he's still gonna get it for career mode.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#934 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 02:41 AM

A friend of mine picked up TGC for his xbone x about a month ago, we used to play together all the time back on tiger 08 - 10  he's not feeling the love with TGC and mentioned getting Rory, i told him that MP is no longer supported, is that right?  Think he's still gonna get it for career mode.

Actually, it's my understanding direct head to head connections do still work on Rory - just no lobby type stuff

• DoGgs likes this

#935 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 18 December 2018 - 03:44 AM

Yeah this tempo is totally random with my 360 pad on master, i did try my stepson's xbone pad and it was better...getting one myself for xmas so we will see, might be something to do with the drift i have on the stick, its well worn and i'm long overdue a change.

• Greensboronclion likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#936 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:58 AM

Interesting Buck...  I also have Rory and have not played it in a few months.. I picked it up in the bargain bin for literally a few dollars so maybe I pick it back up as I am not sure why I stopped.   Perhaps there was a rare PG update or something which caused me to stop playing it.. hahah    Overall, it certainly was not as bad as everyone made it out to be.   Frostbite engine is beautiful, but man could this game use more courses!!    

• Buck likes this

#937 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 18 December 2018 - 01:51 PM

100% disagree, there is nothing granular about the swing for flops and chip shots, go play the same shot in PG and see just how many degrees you have to work with compared to TGC.  the flop is the same as TGC 1 they said they wanted to rework the shot because they knew it was poor and all they did was assign a tempo to it.

As for defecting, Buck keep your money in your pocket, its not a terrible game but PG plays a better all round game imo, i have picked random courses to play but finding it a grind to complete 18 holes.

This post is just 100% false Dogz.  Ok, maybe 98% false because I do agree with you that there is much more granularity in the JNPG swing than in TGC's swing.  But a few simple points:

1 - The latest patch DID fix the flop shot.  Or at least they got it 90% right.  You can still add additional loft to it and get it to check up but if you play the default shot it flops and rolls out pretty darn well.

2 - This discussion about a greenside bunker shot versus a flop shot has nothing to do with granularity.  It was simply a discussion of nomenclature.  I think TGC's greenside bunker shot is very similar to JNPG's greenside bunker shot.  I think they are both pretty well done.

3 - TGC's short game has plenty of granularity.  I can (and do) modulate the backswing in order to achieve the desired shot length just like I do in JNPG.  So I'm not sure I understand your point on this.  I do agree that JNPG does  a better job with this for sure but I just don't understand your point honestly.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#938 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 18 December 2018 - 01:53 PM

Yeah this tempo is totally random with my 360 pad on master, i did try my stepson's xbone pad and it was better...getting one myself for xmas so we will see, might be something to do with the drift i have on the stick, its well worn and i'm long overdue a change.

If you play it on a decent PC where framerate issues aren't an issue you will find that there's no randomness with the tempo.  None at all.  

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#939 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 07:52 PM

Interesting Buck...  I also have Rory and have not played it in a few months.. I picked it up in the bargain bin for literally a few dollars so maybe I pick it back up as I am not sure why I stopped.   Perhaps there was a rare PG update or something which caused me to stop playing it.. hahah    Overall, it certainly was not as bad as everyone made it out to be.   Frostbite engine is beautiful, but man could this game use more courses!!    

It's definitely not as bad as was made out.  

One has to weed through complaints about it and realize that for offline or head to head with it dialed into the hardest modes of play, it actually plays a very fun game.  

It's missing TONS of content relative to TW14 and was never built out, thus the origin of most of the complaining.

But for a certain niche of use and with those graphics - it's actually pretty great.

That's really the frustration.  

EA were on a great track with correct vision (one baseline version for a while and build out the content), they simply abandoned it way too soon.   :(

Oh man what could have been on PC.  

Frostbite could look even more totally amazing if not constrained by XB1/PS4 hardware - or now even XB1X hardware if taken advantage of.

#940 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:33 PM

I've published a beta, called Casa Verde, and I'm registered on the HB forums now, for anyone who is also there.

For anyone worried that I'm defecting to TGC for good, you can relax. I don't plan on quitting PG designing anytime soon; I just needed a bit of a break and a change after throwing all my energy into the Par 3 contest and my unsuccessful Trackman job application. Things are obviously pretty slow around here lately and I kinda felt like tapping into a new audience for awhile. I might publish a couple of TGC courses and then I'm going to find a real course to do in PP using the overhead technique.... maybe I'll finally get started on Commonwealth GC as I think it might work well for the sandbelt style.

I think the most likely outcome, for now anyway, is that I'm feeling more inclined to do most of my fictional designing in TGC and use Course Forge for real course recreation work.

Matt, I just got to play Casa Verde for the first time this morning and my goodness young-un'... it is a stunning, naturally beautiful and wonderfully playing course!  I five starred it and tagged it as a favorite, and I can already say it's in my TGC 2019 top 5 courses.  I can't believe you crafted something as magnificent as this in a day and a half :o   The Society that I'm a co-admin for is playing our Daily tournament there today, and I'm already in favor of it hosting one of weekly 72 hole tournaments in the near future.

BTW, this course doesn't need the "beta" tag, IMO... I found it to be impeccable!  There's a special, holistic look and feel to this course that defies description - great work and thanks for this contribution to cyber golf.  I found it interesting how you managed to carry over the character of your JNPG courses, of which I've enjoyed them all, into TGC 2019.  There were a few times when if I had taken the golfer off the screen, I'd have sworn I was looking at one of your JNPG courses  :huh:   Brilliant work!!

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users