1822 replies to this topic

#941 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:43 PM

There were a few times when if I had taken the golfer off the screen, I'd have sworn I was looking at one of your JNPG courses  :huh:   Brilliant work!!

hmm - lol

I can honestly say that I don't recall ever seeing a screenshot of TGC where I didn't know it was TGC.

Did you mean the course layout?  or ?

TGC has a really distinctive look,

One of the big reasons I don't really love TGC is that everything has a "sort of the same" look and feel to me

#942 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 19 December 2018 - 07:01 PM

hmm - lol

I can honestly say that I don't recall ever seeing a screenshot of TGC where I didn't know it was TGC.

Did you mean the course layout?  or ?

TGC has a really distinctive look,

One of the big reasons I don't really love TGC is that everything has a "sort of the same" look and feel to me

No, I mean the look of the course... I wish I had grabbed a screenshot of it.  I'll play it again and see if I can't grab a shot or two where I see the similarity.  Matt's course defies the "samey" shackles that the limitations of the "theme" set imposes on courses.  It would be a great venue for Online Matchmaking matches... all but one of the user made courses (Orchard Lake) that have now been included in Online Matchmaking are worth playing, IMO. 

Look for a screenshot or two later where I see the similarity.  I'll post them in this thread.

• Buck likes this

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#943 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 07:06 PM

Look for a screenshot or two later where I see the similarity.  I'll post them in this thread.

Cool - looking forward to it

#944 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 19 December 2018 - 08:13 PM

I put it up as a beta just because there always seem to be some technical thing that happens. Somebody said there was a bad pin on #13 but I think they all seemed fine to me; maybe it was a different hole they were thinking of. After playing some other courses I've concluded maybe it isn't that necessary since a lot of them look like they've never been tested even by the designer.

I will release another version but it won't be too much different; the greens are probably too flat in some places. I've also had some requests to change the lighting; I'm not really a fan of the late afternoon shadows that everyone else seems to use on every course though.

I played a course yesterday called Winterstone and it was very good; not sure who did it but I think it's the best one I've seen so far. It looks a bit like Crystal Pines. I also quite like Fiddler's Green.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#945 luetze

luetze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:50 AM

For 18 Euro on offer at 2k store I couldn’t resist to grab one copy. 2019 feat. PGA is my first title from the TGC series and I had some days for testing now.

First off I would never trade JNPG for TGC a future development of JNPG 2 or not. The whole game mechanism of TGC is inferior imo. Same goes for the technical quality of the courses (the bunkers...OMG). Have to confess though there are some attractive features I wish we’d see in JNPG.

Career mode is a no brainer and also the atmosphere can be very nice at times. Found myself surprisingly enjoying the TGC version of Pebble Beach for example. The coastline looks really good and in combination with the lighting it’s quite fun to tee off there. On the downside the given themes of the course designer make it really hard to find distinctive looking courses.

What bothers me most is the swing mechanism particularly for the short game. While approching the flag is quite simple putting is a mess and ruins round after round for me. Maybe a controller could help here.

One thing I’d wish for JNPG. The sound “blong” when you hit the ball over in TGC land. I like that.

#946 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 08:25 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only person who finds putting a chore. It seems like putting one inch uphill means that a fully struck putt will go about 60% of the distance, and one inch downhill makes it roll off the green. I also feel like everything breaks twice as much as it should. I do think the hole physics are good though; sometimes you can sneak in the side door.

And Pebble Beach is really, really good. I don't think mine is quite that good. The fact there's no lidar used makes it all the more amazing to me. But I am contemplating an improved version for the US Open next year.

#947 luetze

luetze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:17 AM

Hi Matt, there was no ulterior motive on my side to mention PB. Your version of Pebble is fantastic and if you should decide to give it a go with the overlay technique even better. I’m sure the outcome would be amazing and worth all the efforts. I was just surprised how well the TGC version captures the atmosphere of this place but I think this is related to the game characteristic of TGC which is more lively. I have been for a short stop in Carmel and Monterey in September and I think TCGs Ocean theme fits pretty well for this area while for other courses it could be hard to find the right setting due to all the limitations I'd imagine.

You use a controller or the mouse/kb combo for TGC?

#948 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 20 December 2018 - 01:20 PM

Not sure if you guys know but with the putting you have an arrow marker that you can push out or pull in to help with uphill/downhill putts, i have no idea why they have always implemented this method, prob due to the all round lack of granularity in the swing, its a bit ridiculous but its there to use anyway.  Yes Matt the putt break in TGC is not realistic, i have always appreciated the putting in PG because you don't get that immediate break off the putter head, sadly in TGC you do.  They have been advised on this before TGC 2 was released yet they have done nothing to bring it into the realm of realism, if you want an under armor T shirt though...  :)

• luetze and Greensboronclion like this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#949 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 20 December 2018 - 01:49 PM

For 18 Euro on offer at 2k store I couldn’t resist to grab one copy. 2019 feat. PGA is my first title from the TGC series and I had some days for testing now.

First off I would never trade JNPG for TGC a future development of JNPG 2 or not. The whole game mechanism of TGC is inferior imo. Same goes for the technical quality of the courses (the bunkers...OMG). Have to confess though there are some attractive features I wish we’d see in JNPG.

Career mode is a no brainer and also the atmosphere can be very nice at times. Found myself surprisingly enjoying the TGC version of Pebble Beach for example. The coastline looks really good and in combination with the lighting it’s quite fun to tee off there. On the downside the given themes of the course designer make it really hard to find distinctive looking courses.

What bothers me most is the swing mechanism particularly for the short game. While approching the flag is quite simple putting is a mess and ruins round after round for me. Maybe a controller could help here.

One thing I’d wish for JNPG. The sound “blong” when you hit the ball over in TGC land. I like that.

I agree with most everything you said.  JNPG is definitely a technically superior game - ESPECIALLY if you're a mouse user.  JNPG's RTSM is the most engaging and nuanced computer golf swing I've ever used.

I also particularly agree with your comment regarding the environment.  Even though many of the courses are drastically different they still all somehow feel very similar.  Sounds like a walking contradiction but if you've played the game you know what I mean.

I've said it a thousand times but if I could combine certain elements of JNPG with certain elements of TGC I'd have my dream golf game.  Both excel in certain areas for sure.  I sincerely hope that JNPG isn't dead but I'm losing hope day by day!

• luetze and Greensboronclion like this

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#950 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 04:36 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only person who finds putting a chore. 

Yeah, I've never quite understood the love for the TGC putting.

My hats are off to those over there who do it with no grid, that's for sure.

I do that here and for whatever reason in PG I can do it amazingly well (nearly as well, sometimes better, than *with* a grid), but in TGC it felt literally like pure luck/guessing.

#951 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 05:48 PM

I will four putt at least once per round. It's frustrating to say the least. I'll have a 30 footer and I hit what I think is pretty good speed, and it might go halfway.

#952 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 20 December 2018 - 06:21 PM

Regarding putting...

Yes, I still think that the ball breaks too quickly off the putter face in TGC.  That area still needs work.  

And I'm a HUGE fan of JNPG's "realistic greens" for sure.

Outside of those two issues, I still prefer TGC putting over JNPG.  I tend to find the break (outside of the issue above) and cup physics a little better in TGC.  The biggest plus for me though is that the animation is more real time with my controller movements in TGC than with JNPG.  There's still that ever so slight lag in JNPG that kinda kills the immersion for me.

But net/net - If I could bring over TGC's real time animation and 3D grass and use JNPG for pretty much everything else I'd be in heaven.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#953 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 20 December 2018 - 06:33 PM

Yeah, I've never quite understood the love for the TGC putting.

My hats are off to those over there who do it with no grid, that's for sure.

I do that here and for whatever reason in PG I can do it amazingly well (nearly as well, sometimes better, than *with* a grid), but in TGC it felt literally like pure luck/guessing.

I felt like that in TGC2.  For TGC 2019 I'm playing exclusively with no grids and having darn good success.  I do still think that JNPG's greens are a bit easier to read without grids but TGC 2019's greens are good enough for the most part.

I don't miss the annoying camera bounce in JNPG when trying to get down low for a read!!

• Buck likes this

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#954 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 08:01 PM

I've updated my Casa Verde course, for anyone interested. I'm hoping to get a second one out in the next few days; it's nearly ready, followed by another one on top of that. The hardest thing is coming up with names for them!

I think the sameness of the TGC courses obviously has to do with the limited number of themes, but I also feel like a lot of the same concepts and techniques are used - everyone seems to want to make everything as narrow as possible so you get these little skinny fairway slivers with a zillion bunkers and greens that have five different tongues and tiers.

Looking at mine; I guess I tend to design on a bit of a larger scale than most and I (admittedly) sometimes repeat myself on certain ideas and formulas... but I also like to think those things are tried and true. I guess I also tried to follow real trends in design, and some of the major ones these days are towards width and minimalism. I wouldn't say that I'm completely minimalist, but I do like to be economical with hazards..... I think most hobbyists will use hazards as a bit of a crutch, so the challenge for me is how can I make interesting holes without depending on those things. Some of my favorite holes I've ever done were bunkerless and waterless.

I think more than anything else, I want a course to look like it could exist in nature, that I would want to play it, that the variety of the holes is sufficiently mixed up so I don't feel like they repeat, and that it isn't too hard for beginners.

• RobV, Greensboronclion and mebby like this

#955 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 11:58 AM

All I know is this Mr.Rose.   If TGC starts getting courses designed by you, they are in for a real treat with professional and wonderfully designs!   

Get ready TGC players, you are about to experience some beautifully made courses by this guy!!  

#956 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 December 2018 - 03:28 PM

I've updated my Casa Verde course, for anyone interested. I'm hoping to get a second one out in the next few days; it's nearly ready, followed by another one on top of that. The hardest thing is coming up with names for them!

I think the sameness of the TGC courses obviously has to do with the limited number of themes, but I also feel like a lot of the same concepts and techniques are used - everyone seems to want to make everything as narrow as possible so you get these little skinny fairway slivers with a zillion bunkers and greens that have five different tongues and tiers.

Looking at mine; I guess I tend to design on a bit of a larger scale than most and I (admittedly) sometimes repeat myself on certain ideas and formulas... but I also like to think those things are tried and true. I guess I also tried to follow real trends in design, and some of the major ones these days are towards width and minimalism. I wouldn't say that I'm completely minimalist, but I do like to be economical with hazards..... I think most hobbyists will use hazards as a bit of a crutch, so the challenge for me is how can I make interesting holes without depending on those things. Some of my favorite holes I've ever done were bunkerless and waterless.

I think more than anything else, I want a course to look like it could exist in nature, that I would want to play it, that the variety of the holes is sufficiently mixed up so I don't feel like they repeat, and that it isn't too hard for beginners.

Good deal.  I'll keep an eye on your courses and play them as they are released.  I've played Casa Verde about 5 times already and it's a great course.  I love some of the decisions that I'm forced to make on that course.  Lots of opportunities to go aggressive or conservative or mix/match throughout the round.  I don't think the greens are too flat at all honestly.   I play without grids so  that may be affecting my statement there.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#957 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 21 December 2018 - 04:22 PM

Like i said, best course in the game...its a golfers layout, and therefore appreciated by people who play golf,  TGC is full of beautifully planted fictional courses that are poor in design.  Started playing the career mode and it has you playing some terrible courses, i quit after the first 2 or 3 just can't be bothered.  That house on the hill course is god awful, looks nice but plays crap, think i played 10 holes then couldnt stomach any more.  Will just have to find some good ones and make a custom tour.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#958 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 December 2018 - 04:34 PM

Like i said, best course in the game...its a golfers layout, and therefore appreciated by people who play golf,  TGC is full of beautifully planted fictional courses that are poor in design.  Started playing the career mode and it has you playing some terrible courses, i quit after the first 2 or 3 just can't be bothered.  That house on the hill course is god awful, looks nice but plays crap, think i played 10 holes then couldnt stomach any more.  Will just have to find some good ones and make a custom tour.

I feel that way about a lot of courses that Arctic Fury puts out.  They are beautiful (if not overly rich) but I hate nearly all of them.   Many of the "top designers" fall into this category as well.  The focus is typically on making a course look great for pictures but the designs are often lacking from a golfers standpoint.

This of course if a generalization and not an absolute statement.  There are many, many excellent courses in TGC.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#959 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 21 December 2018 - 05:36 PM

Is Wendy still making courses over there? he/she made about 3 for TGC and they were all no frills realistic designs, loved all of them.  Arctic fury has some lovely courses in terms of looks but i have yet to play a course of his i really enjoyed in a golfing sense.  Cannuck and taste are another two that plant beautifully without ever nailing a clutch of well designed holes, then you have reeb who is ok but has this obsession with super long courses.  I do like Mikemike's courses, he keeps it simple but designs pretty well, as does Biggins, but he's given up i think.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#960 samterrence

samterrence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire

Posted 21 December 2018 - 06:17 PM

just thought I would give JNPG another try, I have been playing TGC 2019 an awful lot since discovering  TGCTOURS what a fantastic setup ( and they won't be banning controllers any time soon lol) Having taken about 50 putts over 18 holes on PG you realise how good the animation and the putting is on TGC using the controller, PG seems like the outside world as come to an end. no sound when hitting the ball no crowds, no commentary total lack of atmosphere I felt like topping myself instead of topping the ball lol.

Will not be playing PG again unless PG2 ever sees the light of day. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users