1822 replies to this topic

#981 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 09:05 PM

Buck, if you can view the images I sent you in a PM, if you can figure out a way to post them here as images, I'd appreciate it!

Done!
Happy to help - thx for sharing them. 

0antsbY.jpg
IEMf0hR.jpg

#982 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 26 December 2018 - 09:03 PM

Links at sketty ring published

MediJZy.jpg

• LeazesNDR, Greensboronclion and Charles like this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#983 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 09:54 PM

I know you guys love TGC..
But man I'm so unexcited by what I see visually there.

I'm sure things have changed, but so much of that just looks and feels exactly like TGC 1 to me.

Please note: I totally recognize PG has loads of issues (and is basically abandoned)

I'm simply making a comment about TGC and my lack of excitement for what I see.

• Tigers Agent likes this

#984 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 26 December 2018 - 10:16 PM

It does look pretty much like TGC 1,  slightly better lighting and better water effects.  I see no difference in tree quality, if anything they looked better in the first game.  One thing i do like is the taming of the roll out, TGC 1 was just way too extreme, at least now you can hold a green with a 3I or a wood, and the more i play the more i dislike the putting, the instant break is very hard to overlook, it just annoys the hell outta me.

• Buck and Greensboronclion like this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#985 Jwheels9876

Jwheels9876

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 10:19 PM

I'm sure things have changed, but so much of that just looks and feels exactly like TGC 1 to me.

Please note: I totally recognize PG has loads of issues (and is basically abandoned)

I agree... it's amazing how much more realistic the courses look in PG even though TGC is years newer than it.

Could be the white socks throwing me off also lol.....
  • Buck likes this

#986 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 27 December 2018 - 12:44 AM

Was playing Chicago Oaks aka Medinah and thought about how much I like that course and how it looks. The PG courses just look so much more realistic and adding 3D grasses and crowds would be killer. I play TGC 2019 and it looks good but to me just not as real as PG but there are some really nice courses there.

#987 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 01:13 AM

I find the courses in both games realistic looking enough, but neither one more realistic than the other.

It’s definitely a personal preference similar to liking water color paintings vs oil paintings.

-MERACE
  • Charles likes this

#988 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 27 December 2018 - 01:47 AM

I pretty much agree with this even though I prefer to play TGC 2019 over JNPG at this point. 

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#989 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 27 December 2018 - 03:04 AM

Ok, Course #2 is published - this one is called Macedon Ranges.

This was meant to be in an Australian sandbelt style, but it didn't quite come out right; however it does remind me of some golf courses I played in more rural parts of Australia when I was there, in particular the course at Mt. Gambier. 

You can see in one of the screenshots that it is raining -  for whatever reason I found that playing in the rain made for a nice atmosphere and lighting that I got used to and felt wrong whenever I changed it.

spv07pH.jpg

9kqKsEi.jpg

KTpom7w.jpg

• Tresclub and balaceanca81 like this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#990 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 03:59 AM

Presumably another great design M Rose!

I honestly just don’t see what people think is so amazing about TGC graphics.
In some shots I’m not sure if I’m not looking at PS3 TW games.

#991 Skunky

Skunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Locationmarble falls tx

Posted 27 December 2018 - 04:29 AM

honestly, the only thing i like better in tgc than pg ,is the golfer,the ability to make a golfer that somewhat looks like yourself.if pg had this one item ,i would be happy for the next 2 years.!i dont know about anyone else but im sick of playing a foursome when everyone is a doppleganger.

• Buck, RobV and Greensboronclion like this

shadowcreek: tpc avenel:tpc san antonio:valhalla:quail hollow:trump coltsneck:hudson valley:ferry point:bedminster old and new course

Pasatiempo:Kingswood:Carnoustie:Augusta:SandHollow:TPC Summerlin

#992 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 27 December 2018 - 10:31 AM

I am working on an overhead image in PG, a new course in GNCD but i just can't tear myself away from designing in tee time lol...

IqWrGA1.jpg

sYx9zZb.jpg

• Tresclub likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#993 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 27 December 2018 - 12:40 PM

D,

Saw your post about TTG and as I had 5 quid in my Steam wallet, I bought it. A very basic early access golf game but so much fun. Has a feel of the old Everybody's Golf on PS, but not quite as polished.

Had a peek at the designer and for a very basic golf game, the designer is rather impressive, if a little fiddly, but offers up a world of design options and I can see someone like you revelling in it and putting out some cracking layouts. Whilst it would never be my 'go to' golf game, (not sure I have one these days, lol) it will sure see some play time.

#994 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 27 December 2018 - 01:41 PM

Yeh Daz the designer is really good, a ton of objects to use, it has template splines for tees, fw's and greens or you can point to point draw a spline, love the way you just drop the water in and comes with ready made bulkheads which can be changed out for a different texture.  The only downside is that it limits you to 4 textures thru out the course, would be nice to be able to use them all considering there are so many to choose from.  Devs seem open to improvement ideas too, see how it develops but yeh never gonna be the go to golf game, nice change of pace though.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#995 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 27 December 2018 - 02:12 PM

Presumably another great design M Rose!

I honestly just don’t see what people think is so amazing about TGC graphics.
In some shots I’m not sure if I’m not looking at PS3 TW games.

I can't speak for everyone else but I think the graphics are actually better in JNPG in most regards.  The reasons I prefer TGC currently over JNPG are:

• TGC is being actively developed and JNPG seems dead
  • TGC's avatar is real time vs the slight lag/delay/hitch in JNPG
  • TGC has 3D grass

There are a billion other pros/cons between the two games but for me it mostly comes down to 2 key areas which are my first two bullet points above.

JNPG's physics model simply can't be beat though.  The game has SO MUCH promise.  Maybe one day we'll all get to see JNPG2 but until I see proof that it's coming, I'm putting my playing time with the only game being actively developed at the moment.

• RobV and Greensboronclion like this

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#996 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 27 December 2018 - 02:18 PM

Ok, Course #2 is published - this one is called Macedon Ranges.

This was meant to be in an Australian sandbelt style, but it didn't quite come out right; however it does remind me of some golf courses I played in more rural parts of Australia when I was there, in particular the course at Mt. Gambier. 

You can see in one of the screenshots that it is raining -  for whatever reason I found that playing in the rain made for a nice atmosphere and lighting that I got used to and felt wrong whenever I changed it.

spv07pH.jpg

9kqKsEi.jpg

KTpom7w.jpg

Nice!  I'll give it a go later today.  Looking forward to it!

• Tresclub likes this

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#997 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 05:51 PM

Maybe one day we'll all get to see JNPG2 but until I see proof that it's coming, I'm putting my playing time with the only game being actively developed at the moment.

Yup!   I am headed that way too Mebby...  Don't care what others think of this game, I had the original and was fun enough for my golfing needs... fast forward to 2019 and a game actively being developed, it is a no-brainer.    I am neither hopeful or not hopeful for PG2, if it happens, it happens...  if not, no big deal as we have choices.    I am just simply bored of the current game and have no desire to fire it up any longer.   

• MERACE likes this

#998 Tresclub

Tresclub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa, CA USA

Posted 27 December 2018 - 06:31 PM

x

PerfectGolfMember2.jpg 

“You only live once, do it right, and once is enough."

Windows 10 Home 64-bit |Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz | nVidea GeForce GTX 1070 FTW
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 | 2/Samsung EVO 850 500gb SSD | Corsair 600cx PwrSup
BenQ ZOWIE 27" 1ms LCD HD | DirectX 12 | Realtek High Definition Audio | HD Pro Webcam C920

#999 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 06:36 PM

@RobV & @Mebby

Wish I could join you guys..

I just hate the way TGC plays (and am very mixed on how it looks)

I really hope there's a "2k inspired refresh" and re-imagination coming, but I doubt it since golf is so niche.

It's probably not worth too many of 2k's resources.

TGC seems to have settled in a, to me, weird spot of "half of Anthony's old vision" and whatever their motivations are now.
I'm still not convinced at all by the tempo mechanic of theirs, especially when I see their Devs talking about weird ways to draw/fade with the tempo, etc.

It's like they are backing themselves into sort of "inventing" a strange way to create some variability and challenge with the swing, whereas I personally wish they'd just try to mimic how RTS-C and RTS-M work here (respectively).  It just doesn't feel golf inspired so much as "hey we have this not granular enough, built around 100% always, swing, how can we add some layers to make it harder?"

Oh well - enough complaining.  That's just me talking out loud.

Honestly, I'm glad you guys and many others like it.  To each our own for sure.

• RobV likes this

#1000 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 06:55 PM

Totally love and agree with so much of this post over there from user Wirenut, who has an account here also, but I presume is looking around given the state of PG.

IMO - 2k/HB need to be working on an all new swing mechanic that totally untethers itself from the TGC1/2 roots and starts over.

Just adding layer upon layer of tempo this/that to what they have now - just ... please stop HB.

"I don't see how you can get a true Sim mode with these arcade swing mechanics. I don't see anything that resembles a real golf swing except for moving the club back and forth. 

Adding tempo didn't make playing with a less sensitive 3rd party controller harder. If anything it gives them more of an advantage. The same swing path forgiveness from TGC1 that allowed everyone to hit straight shots still exists. The tempo is the most arcade element of this new swing.

The problem with the current swing mechanics(to be Sim like) is all the built in forgiveness and inability to realistically control the shot with the swing. The other is the original design built around 100% swings and adjusting distance and spin with loft.

The direction I was hoping they would go from TGC1 was to put an emphasis on distance control. And being an analog only swing mechanics and not take advantage of that was a mistake in my opinion. By setting the average tour club head speed too match the average club distance on tour. Then the Max CHS = Max carry distance on tour, with an increased miss hit penalty within that range. Along with the variation of distance would also be the variation of spin created. The loft would be the angle of attack varying the launch angle and spin effect.

The above would do more in preventing an advantage for use of 3rd party controllers than the added tempo. With them being less sensitive an accurate distance control would be harder. Also removing the swing path forgiveness would also help as they still output a value other than zero, but gets hidden with the forgiveness. With no forgiveness, more sensitive controllers would be able to make slight adjustment in the swing path to control ball flight. Yes draw and fades back to being controlled in that more realistic manor.

A rewrite of the swing mechanic built around the analog swing with real resulting physics would make for a true Sim like swing. Wouldn't be difficult for the casual players to learn but still hard for the skilled to master. Added multipliers could be added to miss hits for increased difficulty.

All this would do is allow you to hit more verity of realistic shot types with just the stick or mouse. Being able to control distance and spin in this way is what I would call a Sim.

An optional tempo element could be added, but would have to be based on the back and forward swing matching. This would still allow you to use a fast or slower tempo to control distance and spin. But having a faster downswing pull the ball and slow being a push.

I posted these Ideas a while back but didn't stir up much interest. Just seems to me something along these lines would address all the short comings and lack of difficulty that people have been complaining about. And also give a more realistic swing that mimics what can be done in real life. That's something I have heard a lot of people say that a real swing can't be simulated in a game. But it can if done properly."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users