#1081 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:40 PM

Why don't you people write in TGC's forum.

I do, but Perfect Parallel made an "Off Topic" section that lends itself to discussions about its competition, among other things.  I post here because I find that I'll get more objective opinions about TGC 2019, especially as it compares to JNPG.  If you'll notice, there's a thread about Perfect Golf in the off topic section of HB Studios forum, and it's got over One MILLION page views... the most - by far - of any thread in the entire forum.  I think it's good business to keep your friends close and your enemies even closer  B)

• SebGOLO likes this

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1082 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:24 AM

Can you guys please stop having Off-Topic conversations in the Off-Topic area?

Thx

• MERACE, JCat04 and mebby like this

#1083 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:27 AM

Can you guys please stop having Off-Topic conversations in the Off-Topic area?

Thx

Hey Buck - you need to post these sorts of things in an Off-Topic area.  Oh wait...

• JCat04 and Buck like this

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#1084 ArcadeHack

ArcadeHack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:42 AM

Why don't you people write in TGC's forum.

2i1j9yd.jpg
  • SebGOLO likes this

#1085 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:14 AM

Finally put up my third course today. Called Pinelands.

Design is traditional. Shorter and a little tighter. Boreal theme.

Awesome course man!  I shot 2 under thanks to a long eagle putt on 17.  Speaking of 17 - that's a really well designed hole.  I thought long and hard about laying up or going for it but my lay up choice was just a risky as going for it.  The right thing to do on that hole (if you're playing conservative) is to hit a 3 wood off the tee I think.

I think what I like most about your courses in TGC so far is that they aren't inundated with planting and rocks and all that stuff.  The courses are believable.

Keep 'em coming!

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#1086 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:55 PM

Dogz - it appears you aren't alone after all!  Others are reporting some connection issues as well.  This is honestly the first thread I've seen like this.  Will be interesting to see how many chime in saying they've had similar issues.  The OP is in the US for what it's worth.

http://www.hb-studio...ic,27380.0.html

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#1087 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:24 PM

Dogz - it appears you aren't alone after all!  Others are reporting some connection issues as well.  This is honestly the first thread I've seen like this.  Will be interesting to see how many chime in saying they've had similar issues.  The OP is in the US for what it's worth.

http://www.hb-studio...ic,27380.0.html

I have connection issues when playing solo career but not 1:1 against my brother. The game disconnects two or three times a round. I play on PS4.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#1088 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:52 PM

It used to happen in the first golf club, i think its just the way they go about doing whatever it is they do to allow incoming and outgoing data,  PG must operate on a similar structure but i get no trouble with this game or any other in my library, just TGC.  I could be playing a round at any random course and i'll rarely finish the 18, once it disconnects it can take anything up to 2 mins to respond again and get back online, too long for me, i just end up quitting, some days are better than others, but its mostly bad.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#1089 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:53 PM

I have connection issues when playing solo career but not 1:1 against my brother. The game disconnects two or three times a round. I play on PS4.

Do you have disconnect issues of any sort with other XBox One games?    

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1090 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:04 PM

Do you have disconnect issues of any sort with other XBox One games?

I don't have an Xbox One but I don't have any disconnect issues with any other PS4 game.
WWG1WGA

#1091 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:49 AM

Hi everyone. I only posted in this forum a little bit. I know a few of you but not many. I am not a hardcore gamer. In fact I just barely understand enough to play JNPG. I play 3 click. But I have The Golf Club 2019 on my computer, and my PS4. I play on my PS4 because I also have Rory McIroy on my PS4 also. I've had an Oculus Rift for a while and have tried The Golf Club VR but can't seem to get it set up to work in my play area. It's not set up now but I am pretty sure that I am going to get it set up tomorrow. I enjoy VR. 

Anyway, I want to get somewhat serious about playing on my PS4. I've played a couple of rounds at Q School. But I am just horrible. I've also played a few rounds on 'play now'. I haven't bothered to read any of the HB forums. Anyway, I am curious if there are any secrets to getting the swing rhythm down and putting as well. Also, if I try to join up in any of the groups will I likely be castigated because I play so poorly? 

I just wish that HB would introduce a 3 click but I think that is a lost cause also. 

I've given up on JNPG, I've come to realize that it just isn't going anywhere. Mike and Andrew can't talk and when they do, they might as well not say anything. 

So basically, I am looking to enhance my experience with The Golf Club 2019 and hopefully get the VR setup worked out. It isn't a sim but what little I've played it is fun.

I also like shooters as long as I can play godmode. If I don't, I die every 2 seconds and it gets frustrating. Are there ways to enter codes on a PS4 or just a PC. At least with godmode I can try to solve the story line, even that's too hard for me sometimes. 

#1092 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:40 PM

I don't have an Xbox One but I don't have any disconnect issues with any other PS4 game.

I missed seeing that you were playing the game on the PS4 earlier.  I do seem to read that more PS4 users seem to experience disconnection problems with TGC 2019 than the other two platforms.  I know the only time I've had connection issues with TGC 2019 on XBox One X, and my much more rare PC version play is when my cable modem/router disconnects, as everything goes down.  

I'd imagine that with the volume of disconnection reports that HB Studios gets on this, particularly with the PS4, they're working on it but I haven't tracked the bug report thread to see what feedback they're giving there regarding it... sorry.

• IanK likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1093 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:03 PM

Anyway, I want to get somewhat serious about playing on my PS4. I've played a couple of rounds at Q School. But I am just horrible. I've also played a few rounds on 'play now'. I haven't bothered to read any of the HB forums. Anyway, I am curious if there are any secrets to getting the swing rhythm down and putting as well. Also, if I try to join up in any of the groups will I likely be castigated because I play so poorly? 

I just wish that HB would introduce a 3 click but I think that is a lost cause also. 

I've given up on JNPG, I've come to realize that it just isn't going anywhere. Mike and Andrew can't talk and when they do, they might as well not say anything. 

So basically, I am looking to enhance my experience with The Golf Club 2019 and hopefully get the VR setup worked out. It isn't a sim but what little I've played it is fun.

I also like shooters as long as I can play godmode. If I don't, I die every 2 seconds and it gets frustrating. Are there ways to enter codes on a PS4 or just a PC. At least with godmode I can try to solve the story line, even that's too hard for me sometimes. 

As for the tempo suggestion... I'd say start with "Pro" club set (Beginner clubs are so neutered that you'll never learn anything about playing the game from them).  Go to the practice range and start by putting you're player in practice swing mode.  Figure out what backswing speed you need to get what's called a "perfect" backswing speed on the feedback meter.  What I've found is that if I think about trying to match that  speed on the downswing, I'll stand a much better chance of hitting "perfect" downswing speed.

The devs say there's a ratio of roughly 1 to 3 on the backswing to downswing speed to achieve perfect/perfect, but I can't say that I sense that... I just know what feels right and when I feel it, I get the result I'm expecting 99% of the time.  My tendency with Master clubs is to miss with a "Perfect/Fast" tempo maybe 20% of the time and "Perfect/Very Fast" 5% of the time. Each of those percentages is about a third of what I've stated with Pro clubs.  I do get some fast/slow and slow/perfect swing tempos, but they are much less frequent in my experience.

There are some very lively PS4 Societies that are geared for casual players, from what I gather.  I'll see if I can't get a recommendation from some I know who play them and give you some suggestions. 

I don't know of any godmode settings for TGC 2019, but if you want to experience the game at it's easiest, put the "Beginner" clubs in your bag and you'll find it difficult to miss a fairway or green.  A Beginner club set Driver only carries like 254 yards, or there about, where the Pro driver carries 270, and the Master 287 yards.  There's a big gulf in the difficulty between Pro and Master clubs in my experience.  I score 5 or 6 strokes lower per round, on average, with Pro clubs versus Master clubs off the same tees.  I prefer playing with Master clubs though because the challenge feels more realistic and my FIRs and GIRs are much more like that of a low handicap golfer.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1094 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:07 PM

I really don't like the tempo based swing in TGC although it would be more acceptable if you could create your own tempo on the range and use that on the course. I feel that they have a tempo system because the swing mechanism isn't up to the job.
I much prefer Perfect Golf swing mechanic which doesn't need a the addition of tempo because it's difficulty and shot dispersion is spot on.
WWG1WGA

#1095 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:28 PM

I feel the same way with PG's tempo in the mouse RTS as the ratio does not feel natural to me.  It would be great to be able to create your own tempo for both games.

I also think that HBS added the tempo component to help counter the straight shot effect for those that use x-axis disabling controllers and/or controllers with large dead zones. 

-MERACE

#1096 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:08 PM

One tip for getting consistent tempo is to make sure your whole thumb pad is covering the centre of the stick, initially i was perching my thumb on the near front edge and making my swing from there, this produced varying tempos.  Once i moved to cover the centre of the thumb stick my tempos fell into line nicely.  I did have to then adjust my swing to help keep straight, but its not that difficult and i soon worked it out, now i hit tempo almost every time.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#1097 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:21 PM

JCat04--sorry my comment was confusing. I don't need godmode on golf. Just the Shooter games where I get killed every 2 seconds and can never advance. I've always liked video games but have never been able to master the controllers so I need to dumb down the game for me so that I can at least play the story line.

#1098 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:02 AM

Well, i just recently bought TGC2019 too... :ph34r:

Getting acquainted with the UI and other stuff. I was getting pretty curious what all the fuss was about.

My first impression is that 1) it's a finished product :D and 2) has all the bells and whistles you'd expect. :wub:  My first take is that they went all the way on the latter and it looks to me that the basic stuff (ie the swing mechanics [i use the mouse swing]) has room for improvement. I have managed to get to level 2 now and play with the Pro clubs. Next to the (pretty awkward) swing movement, the putting dept can definitely use some more tweaking. For me, the cam views on the green are inferior to JNPG. The grid is a monstrosity compared to JNPG. :angry:  The fact that it can not be switched on/off with a simple hotkey is an omission. You do need it though if you want to make a decent putt, although playing without it does add to the realism. The greens are very plain/smooth/clean which makes it difficult to read greens. For me, i would like some more visual grain like in JNPG. But maybe that is a designer thing, I have not played many courses as yet. Also, not having a roaming cam is also something I miss greatly.

All in all, it is not a bad game though. I'd give it an 8 out of 10, mainly because it is pretty complete. Nevertheless, for me, the swing mechanics is a biggy. The game is left wanting here. I guess the biggest 'problem' is the simple fact that JNPG exists... :rolleyes:

If JNPG would not exist I probably would have switched to TGC2019 from Links. But as JNPG is out there you can't help yourself but compare. And the most important thing for me is the basics: get the swing right. In that JNPG hit the bullseye and TGC did not. They are close, but it is not there. Yet. Somebody wrote somewhere that one can see that the JNPG swing is built with deep 'inside' knowledge of the golfswing, and TGC is not. I think that is true. The swing mechanics in JNPG are so good, so pure, it is a work of love. And knowledge.

I will keep at it though and report more of my first hand experience in the future. As a side kick I will play TGC, as I do enjoy all the options and glitch -_-. Having said that, it makes one wonder how 'super-duper' JNPG could be once they go all out on that. I am convinced they will blow the competition away once that happens. But that's just me dreaming here. :D

• JoeF and mebby like this

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#1099 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:24 PM

Pretty much my opinion Charles, the mechanics are not great, especially the short game.  The over reliance on tempo for chipping and flopping is too much, in real life i don't even think about tempo when chipping, feel takes over over on most short game shots including pitch shots, TGC is devoid of any real feel so they ramp up the need to keep tempo which kills the realism for me, off the tee is fine, game feels good for it, it just dies at the short game.  Yes the grid when putting is really annoying when you come from PG where you can read your putt then turn the grid off before making the putt, ( i use BLI anyway ) its even more prominent on low light courses and it kills the immersion, a simple map to a button to turn it off would have been so much better.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#1100 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:37 PM

Well, i just recently bought TGC2019 too... :ph34r:

Getting acquainted with the UI and other stuff. I was getting pretty curious what all the fuss was about.

My first impression is that 1) it's a finished product :D and 2) has all the bells and whistles you'd expect. :wub: My first take is that they went all the way on the latter and it looks to me that the basic stuff (ie the swing mechanics [i use the mouse swing]) has room for improvement. I have managed to get to level 2 now and play with the Pro clubs. Next to the (pretty awkward) swing movement, the putting dept can definitely use some more tweaking. For me, the cam views on the green are inferior to JNPG. The grid is a monstrosity compared to JNPG. :angry: The fact that it can not be switched on/off with a simple hotkey is an omission. You do need it though if you want to make a decent putt, although playing without it does add to the realism. The greens are very plain/smooth/clean which makes it difficult to read greens. For me, i would like some more visual grain like in JNPG. But maybe that is a designer thing, I have not played many courses as yet. Also, not having a roaming cam is also something I miss greatly.

All in all, it is not a bad game though. I'd give it an 8 out of 10, mainly because it is pretty complete. Nevertheless, for me, the swing mechanics is a biggy. The game is left wanting here. I guess the biggest 'problem' is the simple fact that JNPG exists... :rolleyes:

If JNPG would not exist I probably would have switched to TGC2019 from Links. But as JNPG is out there you can't help yourself but compare. And the most important thing for me is the basics: get the swing right. In that JNPG hit the bullseye and TGC did not. They are close, but it is not there. Yet. Somebody wrote somewhere that one can see that the JNPG swing is built with deep 'inside' knowledge of the golfswing, and TGC is not. I think that is true. The swing mechanics in JNPG are so good, so pure, it is a work of love. And knowledge.

I will keep at it though and report more of my first hand experience in the future. As a side kick I will play TGC, as I do enjoy all the options and glitch -_-. Having said that, it makes one wonder how 'super-duper' JNPG could be once they go all out on that. I am convinced they will blow the competition away once that happens. But that's just me dreaming here. :D

Some good comments here. I've never played the mouse swing in TGC so I can't comment there.

I've said it before but JNPG is a technically better game. It just sorely needs some refinement and active development. And at this point I'm just assuming that nothing further is coming which is a shame.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users