1822 replies to this topic

#1461 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 04:55 AM

Reebdoog just found further evidence that a TGC title with "2020" in the name is coming. HB Studios has bought and registered "thegolfclub2020.com" as a domain name, according to this:

https://www.whois.co...olfclub2020.com

Little disheartening to see it was first registered in January of 2018.
Guess this is always going to be an annual money grab now that they went down the route of putting a year in the title, eh?

I hope they actually finish and fix this next version before declaring it done and moving on - again.

The domain info reads like they were planning 2020 before 2019 was even a thing (unless they had to buy it from a squatter)

Hope they don’t need 2021+. Looks like a squatter is on later years already.
  • DPRoberts likes this

#1462 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:04 AM

Little disheartening to see it was first registered in January of 2018.

Guess this is always going to be an annual money grab now that they went down the route of putting a year in the title, eh?

I hope they actual finish and fix this next version before declaring it done and moving on - again.

It reads like they were planning 2020 before 2019 was even a thing (unless they had to buy it from a squatter)

Hope they don’t need 2021+. Looks like a squatter is on later years already.

I was in the webzine business for a while.  A sporting goods business wanted our domain name in 2001, and paid us $6,000 for it.  We changed our domain name from DigitalSports.com to DigitalSportspage.com... it seemed like it was worth $6,000 to me!  :)

I don't know how that relates, but yeah... I guess you got to plan that out ahead of time if you want a domain name that makes sense with your potential client base.  Yeah, someone has beat them to the draw on 2022!

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1463 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:29 AM

yes you can browse as a guest at HB

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#1464 3199E5kennetharry

3199E5kennetharry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:03 AM

Re: Deleted Content of a famous Course.

Forum Rules

yes i can read stuff in the forum

Processor: Intel Core i5-7400 Kaby Lake CPU, 4 Cores, 3.0 - 3.5GHz

CPU Cooler: Intel Stock CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B250M-A Motherboard

Memory: 16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory (2 x 8GB Sticks)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card

OS Drive: 250GB SK hynix SL301 Solid State Drive

Storage Drive: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Hard Disk

Power Supply: Aerocool 80 PLUS 600W PSU

Sound Card: Onboard High Definition Audio

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

#1465 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:14 PM

Thanks DoGgs and Kenneth for your reports.  Kenneth, I clicked on the links you have in your post but I get a message that the document I'm trying to view isn't viewable when I do so.  Is there something perhaps missing in the link?  Can you view the linked pages when you click on them?  Oh, and please... both of you check your PMs.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1466 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:21 PM

Re: Deleted Content of a famous Course.

Forum Rules

yes i can read stuff in the forum

Kenneth, see if you can create some space in your PM inbox!  :)

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1467 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:23 PM

http://www.hb-studio...ic,29023.0.html

Links works for me too as a guest.  I haven't tried logging in though....

#1468 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 02:39 PM

Looks like it’s just me that got the witch hunt directed at them.
Ha. Oh well.

#1469 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 02:44 PM

What’s weird about the course censoring is: why do it now?
A new game hasn’t even been announced, nor released, and why remove said courses from 2019 (vs the new game)?

I think the “new game is imminent” might possibly be a little premature here.

#1470 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 22 August 2019 - 02:55 PM

Looks like it’s just me that got the witch hunt directed at them.
Ha. Oh well.

Nah it was me too also, but i have changed my ISP since which has prob freed my I.P. block.  Prob best i can't comment on anything anyway ;)  :P . 

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#1471 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:06 PM

Nah it was me too also, but i have changed my ISP since which has prob freed my I.P. block.  Prob best i can't comment on anything anyway ;)  :P . 

Yeah, that would make a difference.  I don't think it would be long before you had your status reclassified over there if you were to join under your new ISP  ^_^

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1472 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 22 August 2019 - 03:09 PM

What’s weird about the course censoring is: why do it now?
A new game hasn’t even been announced, nor released, and why remove said courses from 2019 (vs the new game)?

I think the “new game is imminent” might possibly be a little premature here.

I can't figure that out either... heck, friendBOMBER has a version of Sawgrass in the current game that is as good as the licensed version that's included.  Who knows what rationale, if any, is behind this?  The new game could be imminent for real, but an odd time to release it right at the end of the PGA TOUR season... if you're going to try to get the most mileage out of your PGA TOUR license anyway.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1473 3199E5kennetharry

3199E5kennetharry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:45 PM

http://www.hb-studio...php?board=102.0

you need to go over  that rried to get it white didn't work

Processor: Intel Core i5-7400 Kaby Lake CPU, 4 Cores, 3.0 - 3.5GHz

CPU Cooler: Intel Stock CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B250M-A Motherboard

Memory: 16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory (2 x 8GB Sticks)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card

OS Drive: 250GB SK hynix SL301 Solid State Drive

Storage Drive: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Hard Disk

Power Supply: Aerocool 80 PLUS 600W PSU

Sound Card: Onboard High Definition Audio

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

#1474 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:54 PM

The censoring of Augusta is one thing, I suppose that shouldn't be a huge surprise since we know the ANGC has a history.

The one thing that bothers me though is the fella that did a recreation of course actually called Magnolia National, which is a real course in Mobile, Alabama that has nothing to do with Augusta or the Masters. I think that's an unfortunate example of overreach - at what point do you start copyrighting words? I realize some people use Magnolia National as a pseudonym, but in this case it's something else entirely.

• Buck likes this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#1475 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:50 PM

Maybe HB is planning on adding lidar based Magnolia National in next version of TGC? lol

J/K

#1476 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:55 PM

The censoring of Augusta is one thing, I suppose that shouldn't be a huge surprise since we know the ANGC has a history.

The one thing that bothers me though is the fella that did a recreation of course actually called Magnolia National, which is a real course in Mobile, Alabama that has nothing to do with Augusta or the Masters. I think that's an unfortunate example of overreach - at what point do you start copyrighting words? I realize some people use Magnolia National as a pseudonym, but in this case it's something else entirely.

I agree but the designer would need to prove he had rights to the REAL magnolia national which he likely did not have.  If its smaller club, it couldn't hurt to ask the club for a letter that grants him permission.  He could then provide the letter to HB asking them to unblock his course.

#1477 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:21 AM

I suppose that's true for any course using the real names...  but I'd be shocked if that was the actual case here.

Apparently Royal Melbourne is gone too so who knows what will happen. I've only just started working on some real courses for that platform so maybe I oughta think twice about it...

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#1478 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:46 PM

I suppose that's true for any course using the real names...  but I'd be shocked if that was the actual case here.

Apparently Royal Melbourne is gone too so who knows what will happen. I've only just started working on some real courses for that platform so maybe I oughta think twice about it...

The Royal Melbourne wiping is the one that opened a new chapter of speculation for me.  Since it's the site of the President's Cup in December, I'm wondering if HBS/2K secured a license for the course and the event name, and will be including a President's Cup competition type, at least within the framework of Society play?  Augusta National and Royal Melbourne are the only two courses I can ever recall being wiped completely off the server.  Magnolia National (which, BTW is a more faithful rendition of August National than the one that was actually named August National) only had the "Magnolia" part of its name censored.  You can still play the Magnolia National course if its on your Favorites, My Played, Friends Favorites, or Friends Played lists.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1479 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:57 PM

The Royal Melbourne wiping is the one that opened a new chapter of speculation for me.  Since it's the site of the President's Cup in December, I'm wondering if HBS/2K secured a license for the course and the event name, and will be including a President's Cup competition type, at least within the framework of Society play?  Augusta National and Royal Melbourne are the only two courses I can ever recall being wiped completely off the server.  Magnolia National (which, BTW is a more faithful rendition of August National than the one that was actually named August National) only had the "Magnolia" part of its name censored.  You can still play the Magnolia National course if its on your Favorites, My Played, Friends Favorites, or Friends Played lists.

Or Royal Melbourne is licensing the course to someone else and part of that licensing deal was to send the cease and desist letter.  If I was paying for Royal Melbourn the official course, I would want them defending their IP.  It could even be media related and not video game related possibly too.

#1480 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:02 PM

Or Royal Melbourne is licensing the course to someone else and part of that licensing deal was to send the cease and desist letter.  If I was paying for Royal Melbourn the official course, I would want them defending their IP.  It could even be media related and not video game related possibly too.

Certainly, what you're describing could be the case also.  It just seems odd to me that of all the other prominent PGA TOUR courses that have RCRs in TGC and JNPG and have never threatened a C&D, a less "in the spotlight" course like Royal Melbourne would be one to do it.  Augusta National I can understand, they have a history of doing it.  This has me thinking it *might* be an overture by HB Studios/2K to make the licensing of Royal Melbourne for a "President's Cup" feature in TGC 2020 more enticing to Royal Melbourne.

• MERACE likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users