1822 replies to this topic

#1501 3199E5kennetharry

3199E5kennetharry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:56 AM

Is there anyway of putting courses in favourites without playing them ???

Processor: Intel Core i5-7400 Kaby Lake CPU, 4 Cores, 3.0 - 3.5GHz

CPU Cooler: Intel Stock CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B250M-A Motherboard

Memory: 16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory (2 x 8GB Sticks)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card

OS Drive: 250GB SK hynix SL301 Solid State Drive

Storage Drive: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Hard Disk

Power Supply: Aerocool 80 PLUS 600W PSU

Sound Card: Onboard High Definition Audio

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

#1502 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 29 August 2019 - 02:30 PM

Unfortunately, no.  You can opt to play just nine holes (front or back) of a course and save some time by doing it that way though.

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1503 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 29 August 2019 - 02:41 PM

That particular course isn't really a tournament course anyway; I made it very short and easy because I remember some posts on HB that were requesting shorter and easier courses for beginners and sim players. I thought I'd just submit all five of them and see what happened; the other four got accepted.

I think the primary issue was that some of the greens were too easy... which actually isn't surprising as it is a criticism I've been getting about almost all of my courses, even going back to the Links days. Maybe that's a tendency I have... but then again I've never been a very good putter in any of these games. I'm not sure what it is about reading virtual greens but I think I have more success reading real greens.

And I agree that a lot of those "tournament" courses suffer from the same sort of tricked up effect I see in other design-driven titles - generally the courses are always a lot more eye-popping with detail than I'm capable of doing, but the actual design of the course gets into a bit of a silly area. You don't need 14 holes with triple fairways.

I went and downloaded the highest rated non-fiction course on the TGC Tours list, and couldn't finish it, it was so Mickey Mouse. One hole had a tree about 30 yards out directly in front of a tee box.

From what you've written above, it sounds like you've got a good feel for the TGC Tours paradigm.  The reactions to Parkland Municipal were good in the Digital Sportspage Society.  I don't think anyone "Favorited" the course, but there were no complaints.  The top 3 scorers were 59, 60, and 62, under default conditions.  Don't tell anyone, but I 3-putted one of your more flat-ish greens from 12 feet for a bogey, on my way to a 65.  I was only -2 at the turn. 

I'm going to try the course again under more severe conditions.  I know one thing... this course looked like what I'd expect from a upper tier municipal course.  I think you've presented a very believable and fun, light challenge with this one.  

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1504 3199E5kennetharry

3199E5kennetharry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 03:47 PM

Thanks JCat

Another question, how can you find some one else on TGC to play with  or is it pot luck when you choose a game for some one to join??

I picked a course yesterday it was a hard one, so i altered the wind   and the green firmness and also the green speed,( or so i thought ) played the 1st shot, then checked the course condition and it all reverted back to default. So did i miss something out ???

#1505 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 29 August 2019 - 03:59 PM

Thanks JCat

Another question, how can you find some one else on TGC to play with  or is it pot luck when you choose a game for some one to join??

I picked a course yesterday it was a hard one, so i altered the wind   and the green firmness and also the green speed,( or so i thought ) played the 1st shot, then checked the course condition and it all reverted back to default. So did i miss something out ???

You either have to pre-arrange a private match and agree on an appointment time, create a party, invite to party and go from there, or you can go with online matchmaking, which is going to randomly pair you up against someone else on one of 12 courses, of which you have no say in choosing.  It's probably harder to get a random match in online matchmaking on the PC version.  I usually get a match within 2 minutes on the XBox One X.  I get tired of playing the same 12 courses, six of which are user made, and only three of those are really what I'd consider to be good courses.

The course conditions usually require the pressing of a "done" button, if I recall correctly, but that may only be for creating conditions in a Society tournament, which I set multiple times per week.  Make sure you scroll down and look for a "Done" button before launching your round/tournament.  I'll check here in a few and see if there's anything different about this in "Local" play... stay tuned.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1506 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 29 August 2019 - 04:32 PM

Okay Kenneth, I just saw for myself that what you are reporting about conditions is indeed the case, on the surface at least.  What's really going on behind the scenes is this though... your conditions are being changed into how things play out, but when you look at the "Course Details" screen, it's still showing you what the course designers "Default" course condition settings are, not what you've changed them to.

I played three holes at Tsunami Ridge and changed the Fast/Firm/Firm, wind "Default (which was medium) to Slow/Very Soft/Very Soft and "None" for wind.  The wind did in fact go to "zero" in game, and although the course details screen still showed fast/firm/firm, the play was obviously reflected the behavior of slow/very soft/very soft.  Hope this clears up your question...

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1507 3199E5kennetharry

3199E5kennetharry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:20 PM

JCat thank you very much for sussing that out, just have to tell the players i'm playing with that it's been altered. cheers mate.

#1508 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 30 August 2019 - 01:16 AM

I'm going to try the course again under more severe conditions.  I know one thing... this course looked like what I'd expect from a upper tier municipal course.  I think you've presented a very believable and fun, light challenge with this one.  

Regardless of the medium used, it has always been my goal to produce something that looks like it could exist in the real world. Sometimes that comes at the expense of style points with a lot of players, but it is my own personal preference. That said, I also try not to make it look boring if I can.

I think it is because I had aspirations of becoming a real golf course designer but it didn't pan out... but I think I still try to approach virtual course design from that point of view.

• MERACE, Greensboronclion and Charles like this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#1509 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 31 August 2019 - 09:08 AM

Regardless of the medium used, it has always been my goal to produce something that looks like it could exist in the real world. Sometimes that comes at the expense of style points with a lot of players, but it is my own personal preference. That said, I also try not to make it look boring if I can. I think it is because I had aspirations of becoming a real golf course designer but it didn't pan out... but I think I still try to approach virtual course design from that point of view.

Matt, are you planning to revisit some of your JNPG courses for a '3DG treatement'?.. :rolleyes:

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#1510 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 31 August 2019 - 08:23 PM

Yeah, one day. I watched the tutorial once and was completely lost.

I'm moving in three weeks so anything will have to wait for a bit.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#1511 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 04 September 2019 - 02:44 PM

SmokinJo... now you knew good & well your last post in the "Deleted Content of a famous course" thread wasn't going to pass muster in the official TGC 2019 forum!?  Overall, you were making a good point with the post, but you can't call an individual or an entity what you did, without it being construed as a "personal attack" under their forum rules :o  Then again... you wouldn't be "SmokinJo" if you did it any other way  ^_^

• Joe Habiger and MERACE like this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1512 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:50 PM

Personal Attack..lol, I see that stuff every day in all golf forums but it was against a DEV. Again I am not afraid of them, I have a VPN and as many email accounts as needed..lol

I have never ever been banned from anywhere though only my voice here for a couple days and deletion of some posts or replys.

I say it how I see it, they are COWARDS for not talking to their user base when asked a legitimate question as to why they deleted courses. If you have Augusta in the name truthfully they still can't do anything unless you have THE MASTERS in there somewhere in the course. Magnolia National they can't do anything either because I should know as I had a version to of it that I called Magnolia National after I got a cease and desist for having The Masters either in the name or on that scoreboard you see off the first tee.

Even if you can't give them the perfect answer they are looking for at least acknowledge them!! - And in that topic a reply by them was needed.

• scajjr29 likes this
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#1513 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 05 September 2019 - 02:37 PM

Personal Attack..lol, I see that stuff every day in all golf forums but it was against a DEV. Again I am not afraid of them, I have a VPN and as many email accounts as needed..lol

I have never ever been banned from anywhere though only my voice here for a couple days and deletion of some posts or replys.

I say it how I see it, they are COWARDS for not talking to their user base when asked a legitimate question as to why they deleted courses. If you have Augusta in the name truthfully they still can't do anything unless you have THE MASTERS in there somewhere in the course. Magnolia National they can't do anything either because I should know as I had a version to of it that I called Magnolia National after I got a cease and desist for having The Masters either in the name or on that scoreboard you see off the first tee.

Even if you can't give them the perfect answer they are looking for at least acknowledge them!! - And in that topic a reply by them was needed.

The manner in which this course delection/censorship incident has unfolded, without any justification or explanation is in my opinion, a total public relations disaster.  At the very least, they should have privately notified the course designers whose work was either removed or censored that it was about to be removed or effected and a reason why.  What they should have done is that, PLUS post a public message explaining why it happened and giving guidance for how future RCR courses should be named to prevent further recurrences of the same.

They haven't even acknowledged that it happened, let along explained why... which does appear to be a cowardly act.  I don't know what kind of legal stranglehold may be on them right now, but at the very least they should make a general policy statement that speaks to it, even if it is steeped in legalese!  It looks like Firethorn National (the renamed version of the now censored "Magnolia National") has been allowed to stand, so whatever happened had to do with: "Augusta", "Magnolia", "Masters", and "Melbourne" (you can still use "Royal" or "Melburn"). 

Whatever the case, this is a really bad look for them... 

• Joe Habiger, scajjr29 and Greensboronclion like this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1514 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:45 PM

HB DGAF it would appear

#1515 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 06 September 2019 - 02:01 AM

Again if the Masters name is in there somewhere they have something to go by but Magnolia they have nothing they can f'in do about!!

You are not making money from the course itself either so Augusta cannot do one f'in thing about it!!  This is a HB studios thing I believe and not a Augusta National thing. I have designed that course for CustomPlay golf/World Golf Challenge but I did not use Lidar (2 shape method for you old schoolers) but I did use 3d objects of the clubhouse, cabins, scoreboards and camera towers. I got a cease and desist for using Masters somewhere in the course so I changes the name to Magnolia National and re-compiled it and they didn't say anything after. Again a judge if it did go to court would have a hard time ruling against you BECAUSE you had no The Masters (I guess that is copyrighted to them) and you made no money from it.

I in fact SPENT money to make it..lol

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#1516 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 06 September 2019 - 12:48 PM

Hey Jcat am i right in thinking you play TGC on an abox X ?  sure you mentioned it.   Anyway i had a go last night playing it on a standard xbox S and i have to say it was just horrible, its laggy, jittery and most def not one to one in terms of swing.  The lack of performance with the S introduces a lag in the swing movement, especially the putting, try as i may i could not initially find the tempo using master clubs, i have no issue with achieving tempo on PC but on the S it was terrible.  When i did start to hit a few perfects it felt like i was accounting for the slight lag by initiating the downswing out of sync with the animation.  If you are like me i wait for that backswing animation to reach its highest point then initiate the down before it stops, but playing on the S i was starting that down swing even before the backswing reached its limit animation wise, this was the only way to achieve tempo.  I really don't think the game is fit for purpose on a standard Xbox, but i guess it does not help when i have been used to playing it on a much more powerful PC.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#1517 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 06 September 2019 - 03:28 PM

Hey Jcat am i right in thinking you play TGC on an abox X ?  sure you mentioned it.   Anyway i had a go last night playing it on a standard xbox S and i have to say it was just horrible, its laggy, jittery and most def not one to one in terms of swing.  The lack of performance with the S introduces a lag in the swing movement, especially the putting, try as i may i could not initially find the tempo using master clubs, i have no issue with achieving tempo on PC but on the S it was terrible.  When i did start to hit a few perfects it felt like i was accounting for the slight lag by initiating the downswing out of sync with the animation.  If you are like me i wait for that backswing animation to reach its highest point then initiate the down before it stops, but playing on the S i was starting that down swing even before the backswing reached its limit animation wise, this was the only way to achieve tempo.  I really don't think the game is fit for purpose on a standard Xbox, but i guess it does not help when i have been used to playing it on a much more powerful PC.

Your observations concerning the performance of TGC 2019 on a non X, XBox One are consistent with mine.  Yes, I play TGC 2019 98% of the time on my XBox One X.  I have played it a few times on my standard XBox One, and it both looks and plays radically different on the stock versus the X.  I haven't played it on an "S", but from all metrics, it would be 8% faster on an S, at best.  The tree detail is woefully lacking on a stock XBox One compared to the X.  The stock XBox One demonstrates more jittery animations that are far more prone to stutter and hesitation during the backswing.  When you compare the 2160p res of the X version, versus the 1080p res of the stock version (and S, for that matter), the difference between the two is light years apart.  

If I didn't have an XBox One X, I'd without a doubt be playing TGC 2019 on my PC.  I bought it on sale for my PC (specs in signature line) and it performs quite well on it. I can actually tailor the graphics on the PC version to where I get 60 FPS at  4K (2160p), but it's clearly at the cost of the loss of some course object detail.  The XBox One X graphics look better than the PC settings that yield 60 FPS, but the XBox One X version is locked at 30 FPS.  I've sorta gotten used to the 30 FPS, but I realize how much I miss the more responsive feedback with 60 FPS,  when I do play it on my PC.  

The determining factor in my decision to focus my play on the XBox One X version is that most of my friends are playing on XBox Ones/S/X.

• DoGgs likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1518 samterrence

samterrence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:21 AM

3199E5kennetharry

Advanced Member

• photo-1754.jpg?_r=1430162529
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 1,356 posts

Just select the course you want play, whilst standing on the 1st tee press options, course conditions, and you can select favourite from there, you don't even have to hit your 1st tee shot.

hope that helps

#1519 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:36 PM

3199E5kennetharry

Advanced Member

• photo-1754.jpg?_r=1430162529
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 1,356 posts

Just select the course you want play, whilst standing on the 1st tee press options, course conditions, and you can select favourite from there, you don't even have to hit your 1st tee shot.

hope that helps

I did not know that... cool!  Thanks for sharing that Terry!!

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1520 3199E5kennetharry

3199E5kennetharry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:45 AM

very many thanks for that little snippet, nice and handy   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users