#1541 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 13 October 2019 - 01:03 PM

I think they have taken it as far as they can anyway, the game has not changed that much since the first iteration, the half baked tag on tempo was not the answer for improvement, they should have looked at the JNPG controller swing and copied that with beginner thru to tour pro.  The lack of feel in TGC has always been the one major failing in this series.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#1542 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:30 PM

I think they have taken it as far as they can anyway, the game has not changed that much since the first iteration, the half baked tag on tempo was not the answer for improvement, they should have looked at the JNPG controller swing and copied that with beginner thru to tour pro.  The lack of feel in TGC has always been the one major failing in this series.

Their attempt at tempo wasn't necessarily wrong - it's just different from what you prefer.  I too prefer the JNPG swing over TGC's swing but I at least applaud HBS for trying to add SOMETHING to an otherwise bland swing mechanism.

Both swings have their pros and cons honestly.  JNPG's lag and hitch at the top of the swing kinda kills the immersion for me.  Overall though I think JNPG has the best swing I've ever seen - particularly in the motion swing.  That thing is awesome.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#1543 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:07 PM

I don't think tempo is a bad idea, just don't let it be affected by frame rate.  I played this recently on a xbox one and the tempo was massively different from the much smoother PC version, i feel sorry for anyone playing it on a standard xbox one, its shockingly bad.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#1544 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:02 AM

I don't think tempo is a bad idea, just don't let it be affected by frame rate.  I played this recently on a xbox one and the tempo was massively different from the much smoother PC version, i feel sorry for anyone playing it on a standard xbox one, its shockingly bad.

Maybe that's my issue. I either played it on a PC with very high frame rates or an Xbox One X. Never played it on a Standard Xbox One.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#1545 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:22 PM

I think it's sad that we have two golf games JNPG and TGC 2019 and in the year 2019 neither is close to complete. I would have thought four years ago by this time we would have had a super game to play but we have one that has no immersion and one that's game play totally sucks. I have the last few days broke out my PS3 and have been playing TW13 and that game tho dated feels like more of a golf game than either of the others. We were promised a career mode and that never happened and with TGC they gave us one but good Lord is it bad. I might just keep playing TW13 and wonder could have been as I don't think we ever see another golf game from either and for that matter anybody.

#1546 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:37 PM

Never say never...

#1547 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 01:30 AM

Zmax I hope we do see one but not holding my breath as silence is deafening and lots of silence. I really believe that JNPG could have been that Holy Grail of video golf but who knows now but I will continue to hope that it does. As for TGC it's toast IMHO.

#1548 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:10 AM

Both TGC and JNPG are toast.

• Joe Habiger likes this

#1549 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:48 AM

We were promised a career mode and that never happened and with TGC they gave us one but good Lord is it bad. 

What kind of features do you want in a career mode?  Real schedules and courses, real rosters, semi-real stats, a real playoff system when there's a tie?  You want what we all want.  I'm working on a career spreadsheet mode that's getting close to completion.  I think a user created career mode doesn't  run into the complexities of licensing issues.

I was going to start a general thread asking what course would be a good substitute for the season opening Kapalua course.  After seeing screen captures of Birdie's Southwoods course, there is no question that this should be the course to kick off the FedEx  Season.

John

#1550 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:48 PM

What about those that have no clue regarding excel, i tried the spread sheet thingy but could not make head nor tail of it and gave up.

It will be a long time, if ever we see another golf title that has a fully fledged career mode with all the other bells and whistles, today's gaming is all about the Dollar.  There is no money in niche market games, why would any dev spend years creating a golf game that sells to the select few when they could be working on the next fortnite clone.  As depressing as this sounds its what we have today and it aint going away.

• Joe Habiger and Greensboronclion like this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#1551 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 01:22 PM

What kind of features do you want in a career mode?  Real schedules and courses, real rosters, semi-real stats, a real playoff system when there's a tie?  You want what we all want.  I'm working on a career spreadsheet mode that's getting close to completion.  I think a user created career mode doesn't  run into the complexities of licensing issues.

I was going to start a general thread asking what course would be a good substitute for the season opening Kapalua course.  After seeing screen captures of Birdie's Southwoods course, there is no question that this should be the course to kick off the FedEx  Season.

John

John the spread sheet is good but there is absolutely no immersion in the game and to be quite frank its boring as hell without it. I quit tournaments as it's just you and nothing else and seeing one fan or some generic commentary would be a step up and no customization of player at all. It's stale and the only ones left playing it seems is 3C guys so why bother.

#1552 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:15 PM

It sounds like the conflict and frustration continues on for many of us.

I play PG several times a week with my uncle, but wouldn't even launch it if it weren't for that.

TGC interests me in no way whatsoever.

And from a career mode/engagement in solo play aspect, what I really have always wanted is another game from EA with all the bells and whistles.

As it stands, the sport of golf (for video gaming) is sadly mostly dead to me after a full quarter century (and then some) of having a blast and loving it.

#1553 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:05 PM

Buck I tend to agree and I have been playing like you for about a quarter century and it feels like that is coming to an end. I have kept all my old systems like the PS3 and will always have a golf game to turn on but I can't see another getting released as the market for it is dead. The sad part is with JNPG it won't live like Links as there is no hard copy for the community to use so when the server shuts so does the game. Prepare as it will come to an end at some point but I still say it was the best 20 dollars I ever spent on a video game.
  • Buck likes this

#1554 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:21 PM

The sad part is with JNPG it won't live like Links as there is no hard copy for the community to use so when the server shuts so does the game. Prepare as it will come to an end at some point but I still say it was the best 20 dollars I ever spent on a video game.

That truly is the sad part.  I wish JNPG could somehow have the Steam shackles taken off and get opened up a bit so the modding and design community could extend it and prolong it essentially indefinitely.

Of course - it hasn't shut down yet either -- but it's questionable what might finally happen when PG2/VG2 releases and this truly is just dead weight ongoing costs for something of no interest to Trackman.

• Greensboronclion likes this

#1555 Niblick47

Niblick47

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:49 PM

If the server goes down, why can't they just provide a link to download the game for those who have paid for it?

#1556 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:24 PM

If the server goes down, why can't they just provide a link to download the game for those who have paid for it?

The problem is the game was built in a way where online access is required for third-party course usage. I think it was something about DRM and or anti-piracy.

If that weren’t to change and the servers went down the game would be useful for off-line play with the original included courses only, which of course would be appealing for about two hours

#1557 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 16 October 2019 - 03:29 AM

Dogs, Greens, Buck,

I don't disagree with any of the points you've made.

I don't think I'll see another Golf game in my life-time (33 years, back to Mean18 on a 286 MHz cpu) that come as close to good golf physics and a lengthy course library as JNPG.  I've come to terms with what I can't change within the PG code itself to create a more immersive experience.  Outside the code, however, I can create the one thing that I've wanted thru all of the different Golf games - a realistic Career mode.

So my original question is still "what do you want in your Career mode (assuming you have that immersive Golf game to be named later)?"

#1558 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:31 PM

John for me it's about realistic and that means crowds based on how well you play and realistic scoring as TGC is do out of wack it's ridiculous. I would like to see sponsorship of everything from clubs to cloths and balls. Have a Nationwide, PGA and European Tour and world rankings. In other words the real deal and it can be done as just look how immersive MLB The Show is. It's 2019 and when I walk the JNPG fairways there should be some life and some designers did in their courses with boats planes and other animals on their course but there could be so much more. At this point I feel like I am walking on a deserted course when I play and Rory was really good at making the game feel alive on it's courses but EA figured out that video golf just won't sell anymore and ended that. We the video golfer are a dying breed and golf in general is dying mostly due to the fact that Millennials don't play as they don't like competitive games. Here in the Myrtle Beach SC area we once had 131 golf courses we just lost two more that will be closing and houses put in their place and now down to 87 and some say down to 50 or less in the next 10 years. Sad times for both video and Real golf.
  • cajuncapgun, Buck and jmk59 like this

#1559 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:19 PM

Make of this what you will..

Gz0DOHT.png

#1560 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:20 PM

Dogs, Greens, Buck,

I don't disagree with any of the points you've made.

I don't think I'll see another Golf game in my life-time (33 years, back to Mean18 on a 286 MHz cpu) that come as close to good golf physics and a lengthy course library as JNPG.  I've come to terms with what I can't change within the PG code itself to create a more immersive experience.  Outside the code, however, I can create the one thing that I've wanted thru all of the different Golf games - a realistic Career mode.

So my original question is still "what do you want in your Career mode (assuming you have that immersive Golf game to be named later)?"

Sorry I missed this post earlier somehow..

Honestly John, I'm just out of energy to even speculate on your question at the end because I don't believe anybody is working on a new sim oriented golf game - and if they are, I don't think it will include a career mode anyhow (PG2).  It just sort of feels like dreaming more than anything else.. (I have no objection to it at all, I just don't have anything to add to it).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users