#1561 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:44 PM

PGA Championship Golf 2000 had the only career mode that I was interested in playing.  You could play your rounds along with the AI players, whom you could build from attributes to play with certain strengths and weaknesses.  It was fun tweaking created player attributes to get them to play like PGA Tour players.  It had its weaknesses, such as AI players not knowing how to bail out of a hopeless situation occasionally, but it didn't happen frequently enough to keep me from sticking with it.

Oh how I'd love to see a PGA Championship Golf 2020, with Windows 10, DirectX 12, mo-capped golfers, 3D Turf Effects rough, JNPG's real time controller swing, utilizing today's graphics cards....  :wub:  

• Joe Habiger and Greensboronclion like this

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1562 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 18 October 2019 - 04:25 PM

PGA Championship Golf 2000 had the only career mode that I was interested in playing.

JC - what kind of features did Golf2000 have that you would want in a modern Career mode?

Buck - what if there was a stand alone Career mode program that could be used with any Golf game or platform?  What features would you want?

#1563 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:37 PM

JC - what kind of features did Golf2000 have that you would want in a modern Career mode?

Buck - what if there was a stand alone Career mode program that could be used with any Golf game or platform?  What features would you want?

I don’t know honestly… I defer to your judgment.
Really haven’t played a career mode since tiger 14, which is basically the last time one existed I guess?

#1564 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:55 PM

What was in Tiger14's career mode that you liked?

#1565 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:57 PM

What was in Tiger14's career mode that you liked?

It existed - lol
I liked a lot of the somewhat silly stuff about leveling your guy up and buying new equipment…

But above that, it was just a lot of fun to play real events at real courses with real player names against you.

Long ago I had this dream that maybe Perfect golf would eventually have a feature where we could play the same event as real pros and it would pull in the scores through the weekend of a real event as we played along with it
  • jmk59 and Greensboronclion like this

#1566 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:09 PM

Could you re-create an older season, say 2010, with that year's tournaments and PGA players (was a season editable)?

I know TW08 had a huge library of courses.  Did it also have a decent Career mode?

#1567 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:23 PM

Could you re-create an older season, say 2010, with that year's tournaments and PGA players (was a season editable)?

I know TW08 had a huge library of courses.  Did it also have a decent Career mode?

I wish I could recall on either of those fronts - just been a long time and I don't remember anymore

• jmk59 likes this

#1568 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 19 October 2019 - 12:05 AM

It was really more of a Tour Season(s) mode than a career mode.  You didn't have to build your character, earn a tour card through Q school, as I recall.  You could create a custom season, using courses that were available in the game, whether they were stock or user created.  You could put as many golfers as you wanted, or so it seemed, in the tour, but I think there was a limit to the number who could start a tournament... something like 140.

What I liked the most was (and I know this isn't going to be popular with a lot of golf gamers) that I could play the tournament rounds with the players who were nearest me in the tournament, in what was called "ReadyPlay".  They would tee off the same time as me and play their shots out at their own pace. I could see the players though, and I could tell where they stood and what kind of shape they were in, without having to wait for the whole turn based thing to play out.  Some will argue that the pace of play feels rushed with this in effect, and I understand that, I just liked the faster pace ReadyPlay offered.  I could still take my time when I needed to.

• Joe Habiger, Buck, Greensboronclion and 1 other like this

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1569 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 12:07 AM

I loved ReadyPlay also!

#1570 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 02:03 AM

I loved ReadyPlay also!

Dittos! 👍

MERACE

#1571 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:07 PM

I noticed Rory PGA tour is still playable online, I thought they shut it down??  Seems fine to me.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#1572 Abe

Abe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 October 2019 - 06:32 PM

It was really more of a Tour Season(s) mode than a career mode.  You didn't have to build your character, earn a tour card through Q school, as I recall.  You could create a custom season, using courses that were available in the game, whether they were stock or user created.  You could put as many golfers as you wanted, or so it seemed, in the tour, but I think there was a limit to the number who could start a tournament... something like 140.

What I liked the most was (and I know this isn't going to be popular with a lot of golf gamers) that I could play the tournament rounds with the players who were nearest me in the tournament, in what was called "ReadyPlay".  They would tee off the same time as me and play their shots out at their own pace. I could see the players though, and I could tell where they stood and what kind of shape they were in, without having to wait for the whole turn based thing to play out.  Some will argue that the pace of play feels rushed with this in effect, and I understand that, I just liked the faster pace ReadyPlay offered.  I could still take my time when I needed to.

I think there was a feature like this in MSGolf  3.0 too. Maybe it was also present in Links LS series.

You open open a cam and watch alll the other shots, each players' shot in a different color comet tail. It was like watching a small light show during your game. I always liked feature too. Everyone played at their own pace.

#1573 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 06:33 PM

I noticed Rory PGA tour is still playable online, I thought they shut it down??  Seems fine to me.

I don't think head to head ever stopped working..

The lobby doesn't work though, correct?

(I don't have a PS4 anymore otherwise I'd check)

#1574 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:51 PM

I don't think head to head ever stopped working..

The lobby doesn't work though, correct?

(I don't have a PS4 anymore otherwise I'd check)

It gave me the option of head 2 head, which works fine, also i was able to play daily and weekly events and join a game with 3 other randoms.  All in all i don't know what they actually ceased doing here?   

On a game play note i was amazed at how easy tour mode is, it's hard to miss a fairway at the hardest level.  After playing the game from cold i won my first tour / career event with a score of -30 6 shots clear of 2nd.  The only other option to make this harder was turning off green grids, now i have come right back to the pack and can enjoy it...for a while at least.   

The game does side hill lies really well and you have to rely on pure visual to discern if it is on a side hill lie, some are more obvious than others.  Putting is a bit too simplistic from a mechanic standpoint, although its not too easy, especially with no grid.

Even in tour pro mode the game has a marker that you can pull in or push out that sets club distance, this also makes it a bit too easy, you don't have to rely on partial shots even though the game appears to play partial shots really well, that's a shame.

Overall its something different that has a career mode ( way better than TGC career ) but it does make you appreciate the controller swing in PG, wish i could take that and plant it into Rory, that would be great.

• Buck likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#1575 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 07:56 PM

Yeah I do not like how they did the distance marker thing for aiming and setting power.

It helps out way way too much

I can’t tell if they would have tweaked it over time or if they were just catering to an audience for which Birdie is Par… I suspect the latter

TGC has a similar problem in that those that desire a hard-core realistic scoring experience are a pretty small market versus the arcade crowd

#1576 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:00 PM

As an aside, I’m happy to hear the online stuff still works and I think it is still part of the vault.

Maybe there is hope that they will resurrect their baseline work there at some point in the future… Perhaps with stripped out branding or some other way to make it feasible financially.
  • DoGgs likes this

#1577 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 28 October 2019 - 01:29 PM

I love this level of immersion in RM tour, had to put the grid back on the greens but without the break beads, the grid alone helps you read the green most of the time.  I should not be enjoying this but its good fun, the animated player makes a nice change from hacker harry, just look at the joy etched on my face.  :)

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

• Buck likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#1578 Tigers Agent

Tigers Agent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNext Door.

Posted 29 October 2019 - 12:37 AM

https://store.steampowered.com/app/554510/The_Golf_Club_2/