#1701 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:49 PM

I hadn't thought about EA leaving themselves a loophole for the next console generation by maintaining a PGA "involvement" somehow.  It would make good business sense though.  I wonder if the development team who produced TGC 2019 in Unity has enough familiarity with Frostbite to be able to produce the next golf game in Frostbite?  They seem to be so locked up with Unity.

EA has more golf game marketing experience than anyone else and I see that as a positive.  Yeah, they've made some mistakes, but they've also produced two of my favorite golf games of all time, Tiger Woods 10 and Tiger Woods 13 on the XBox 360.  I still play both of them occasionally, as a matter of fact.

Your analogy with Microsoft's flight sim is a great example of how something can rise from the ashes and become relevant again.  It's just a matter of getting the right ideas in motion with the proper investment behind them. 

• Buck likes this

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1702 tanman05851

tanman05851

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationNorthEast Kingdom,Republic of Vermont

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:34 PM

First day I ran across this Reddit site 2 people got banned!What fun!

https://www.reddit.com/r/thegolfclub/

Windows 10 Pro -Intel 8th Gen Core i5-8400 Processor-ASRock Z370 Extreme4 Motherboard-Corsair DDR4 2666 MHZ(16GB)

Asus Geforce GTX 1060 6 GB Turbo Edition-Dell S3220DGF-3C-Logitech G502

Finally found a competitive AI "Phil Mucklebot" Aggressive Pro 3,3,3,3,3,5

#1703 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:09 PM

First day I ran across this Reddit site 2 people got banned!What fun!

https://www.reddit.com/r/thegolfclub/

Thanks for that link... I hadn't checked in on the TGC 2019 action on Reddit in a while.  I actually found some interesting and informative posts there!  I didn't dig deep enough into to see that two people had been banned, let alone why.  Do you know the reasons for the bannings?  Usually, Reddit is fairly lax in that department. 

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1704 tanman05851

tanman05851

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for that link... I hadn't checked in on the TGC 2019 action on Reddit in a while.  I actually found some interesting and informative posts there!  I didn't dig deep enough into to see that two people had been banned, let alone why.  Do you know the reasons for the bannings?  Usually, Reddit is fairly lax in that department. 

It seems they made a lot of what reddit would call sh*t posts.Constant uploads of HIO made with easiest clubs and than defending their use plus bragging about how they would beat anyone easily.I think they ticked off ADX and that was it.
Of course not too hard to register under another name.

Windows 10 Pro -Intel 8th Gen Core i5-8400 Processor-ASRock Z370 Extreme4 Motherboard-Corsair DDR4 2666 MHZ(16GB)

#1705 tanman05851

tanman05851

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:25 PM

Here ya go   https://www.reddit.c...this_subreddit/

#1706 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:48 PM

Okay, that helps... thanks!

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1707 tanman05851

tanman05851

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:56 PM

Deja Vu...All over again

https://www.reddit.c...ying_this_game/

#1708 Affo

Affo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSouth Coast, UK

Posted 26 February 2020 - 07:30 PM

Had to laugh at this bit (spoiler - bad language)

1 point · 1 day ago

ughhhhhh. So sad.

Listen, fuckstick, again, feel free to play with my ghost. I don't cheat, I don't need to - I'm good at the game. Practice a little bit and you might get better too.

Regardless, this is going in a loop. Feel free to 'verify' my shot. Super excited for your feedback. Until then, fuck off with your accusations of everyone cheating - nobody cares what you have to say.

https://www.youtube....NUPOrdgs0U6nODQ

http://affo1.emyspot.com/ for JNPG stats from OGT and PGLS

MSI Apache Pro GE62 2QF, i7 5700HQ, 16GB DDR, GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5, 1 TB HDD 7200rpm, 128GB SSD

Intel i7-8700 CPU @ 3.2GHz, 16GB DDR, GTX 1060 6GB

#1709 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:43 PM

slouis wrote in the PGLS thread (about TGC 2019):

"Speaking of bunkers they should add pot bunkers which is the defining feature of links courses and one of their primary defences.  TGC renditions of courses like St. Andrews just don't look right without them.  Generally the bunkers in TGC look awful compared to PG." 

I agree with both opinions stated above.  The quality of the bunker lips in TGC 2019 leave much to be desired and they flat out can't support pot bunkers due to the course rendering process that's based on course DNA stored on a server, versus specific, custom object data stored on the player's PC or console hard drive locally, ala Perfect Golf.  TGC 2019's model can only draw bunker details and lips based on a relatively crude template, while PG's bunkers are all uniquely created based on specific detail.  TGC 2019's DNA engine is too limited to allow the creation of pot bunkers, so that's why you don't see any in game.  There have been a few creative designers who created pseudo pot bunkers by creating steep, step like wooden borders on the bunker face.  They sold the bunker depth to a large extent, but the appearance was far from a sod based vertical face.

More to come on slouis' post in the PGLS thread later.  He raised so many good points that deserve the proper attention and I want to give each the response they deserve.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1710 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:56 PM

I brought up the issue of pot bunkers in TGC when they released the links theme back in the first game, what a tragic theme that was...just awful, i remember being so excited for that theme only to be totally let down by how cartoonish and bad it was.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#1711 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:23 PM

Deja Vu...All over again

https://www.reddit.c...ying_this_game/

Unbelievable how volatile that discussion remains.  I've learned that it's futile to discuss it, so I just stay out of it.  At least it's keeping the TGC 2019 Reddit post count lively  :D

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1712 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:24 PM

I brought up the issue of pot bunkers in TGC when they released the links theme back in the first game, what a tragic theme that was...just awful, i remember being so excited for that theme only to be totally let down by how cartoonish and bad it was.

Yeah, I found the links and rural themes in the original TGC to be cartoonish and lacking in quality.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1713 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:47 PM

As a shock to nobody, an HB dev is here defending their terribly designed Penalization mechanic and blaming it's users for "Not knowing how it works". The answer is, it doesn't work the way it should regardless of how you feel about it internally. It's a terribly balanced mechanic that leaves most users scratching their heads and asking "why?" once the ball leaves their club. Tempo is overpenalized while swing line/plane is underpenalized. then you add how both of these factors impact distance and that just adds to the mystery of how a group very qualified and smart developers sat in a room and decided this was the best way to represent and penalize the golf swing. Most of my frustrations come from the fact that these deficiencies feel like bad decisions based on golf ignorance. Most of which come across as being designed by people who have never actually swung a golf club before or even watched someone hit 100 balls on the range. I doubt that is the case. I am sure most, if not all, of the devs involved have hit a golfball before. But Perception is reality in this case. I am not the best golfer, but I am well aware that rotating your clubface slowly through the ball does not add distance. yet, in this game you guys decided that is what happens. That alone should nullify any sort of defensive posture you could possible have during any of these discussions. 

So yeah, the swing is working as intended but to most of us that care that is extremely concerning.

hear hear. 

HB Craig is embarrassing himself over there in the Dispersion topic by even bothering with really bad, and tired, defenses of a horrific swing design decision by HB. 

#1714 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 27 February 2020 - 02:32 AM

I couldn't help myself Buck, I had to go over to the TGC forum and respond to that one, even though I'd sworn months ago that I was staying out of swing mechanic debates for this game.  You're to blame for it though... I was ignoring that thread because of its subject matter until I read your quote from it here!  B)

• Buck likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1715 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 04:14 AM

lol - I accept the blame..

I poke in there from time to time mostly out of morbid curiosity.

I really thought HB/TGC might finally be on a real track forward when 2k came calling..

..and alas...it just seems to have been another simple publishing deal and very little more.

Which I admit is pretty disheartening.

Even though I'm not a TGC fan in its current implementation, more golf games is always better in my book.

As for the HB staff...At this point in time and with where TGC2019 is and how it was "left", I can't fathom why they bother to say anything on that forum.

If they don't have news about a new release to share, I don't think anyone wants to hear a peep from them and certainly not anyone dragging out the tired old defenses of bad design decisions from long ago.

#1716 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 27 February 2020 - 05:17 PM

slouis wrote in the PGLS thread:

They should add more replay cameras.  In PG there are 9 replay cameras to choose from.  In TGC there is basically one.  I would especially like a reverse camera angle.  Why are there no replays in multiplayer?  There is in solo but you have to click if I remember correctly 3 times to access it.

They actually have 3 different live and replay cameras in TGC 2019.  They don't have a full, 180 degree reverse angle camera, but they have one that's maybe like 120 to 140 degrees that's more zoomed out.  They've got another one thats more like 110 to 130 degrees that's more zoomed in, in addition to the one you're probably speaking of... the traditional "Follow Camera" that can automatically follow, or begin following on demand.  I use the 120 to 140 degree, zoomed out live and replay camera 95% of the time.  It's brought into action by pressing the right D-Pad button at any point during the shot.  I usually hit it about 75 to 85% of the ball's flight to watch the shot come in.

I haven't even tried replays in multiplayer, but I'll take your word for it.  Maybe it messes of the timing or sync?  I don't really know.  I do occasionally look at replays during Society or free play, but I'm not even thinking about what I'm doing when I play to bring them up.  I guess I don't do it often enough to be thinking about how much of a hassle it may be to do so.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1717 slouis

slouis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:41 PM

JCat, thanks for the feedback.  I play with a mouse.  I find the replays in TGC  very limited,  You can choose to view the avatar from the left, right, or behind.  Then when the ball is in flight it switches to what I call the telecast camera.  There is a kind of reverse replay but it is not like PG where you start looking back at the avatar. 

My opinion about computer golf games is influenced by the fact that I am an avid player of the real game.  That's why I think a control method like 3C where it is merely a twitch reflex is strictly arcade.  Golf is not a twitch muscle game and when you have a relatively slow meter that fills in at exactly the same speed all the time with instant feedback for your next shot it is no wonder that people can shoot 58 under.  RTSM is the best swing method I have used and I go back to Amiga Golf.   I'm really impressed how it incorporates elements of a real golf swing, like tempo and swing path.  I've seen players hit shanks with RTSM.  Mishits or offsets where you can lose as much as 25% of the indicated carry distance for a club can occur regularly.  There are a lot of moving parts with a RTSM swing just like a real golf swing.

TGC is  more of an in your face experience.  As a friend of mine said the other evening when we were playing TGC it just feels like you're pounding the driver because of the sound it makes on contact.  Also the point of view is closer than PG which gives more of an impression of actually being on the course.

The TGC full swing is a bit odd but I find it easier to hit it straight then with RTSM at Pro level which is what I play.  I started at Masters Clubs level from day one but I've noticed that the majority of players us Pro Clubs.   I  have yet to play a round with anyone that is left handed or a female.   As an example of odd, why does a slow backswing reduce power?  On full shots it seems you get the longest distance with a perfect back swing and slow downswing.

On thing I forgot to mention in my previous post was that the drop option in TGC is very limited.  You can't go back or forward like you can in PG.

PG is still my preferred computer golf sim but it is too bad it doesn't have features like being able to create your own avatar which is a hoot and a expanded save game function. 

The courses in PG especially the top community rendered courses are vastly superior to the top TGC courses especially renditions of real courses.  TGC courses regardless of how well they are done look to a degree the same because you can only use objects provided in the game.  They also don't look as realistic because the terrain is too pristine.  No overlay renditions or 3D grass for TGC courses.  Just one example, compare the TGC version of Riviera to  Bortimus' version for PG.  On the first tee of the TGC version there are some large trees directly in front and you can't even see the fairway which is an example of how inaccurate some of them are.   The trees are all the wrong kind.  The clubhouse is a stock house that comes with the game and the well known screen net to the left of the second hole is not there in the TGC version.  I could go on but I find that the fictional courses in TGC are more interesting than the real course renditions.

There are more bugs in TGC than PG which I find surprising given that HB Studios has a staff of 80 (according to their website) and this is the 3rd version.  I found a new one the other day when playing a ghost round.  On the first hole my ghost playing partner hit his approach shot in to a greenside bunker.  However for his 3rd shot he was putting from the green.  The next hole his tee shot found the fairway but when it came time to hit his second shot it was from a fairway bunker.

I have a group of about six guys that I play multiplayer with and you are welcome to join us.  Five of them joined The Old Goats Tour but when the real golf season starts here I don't  play computer golf as much,  so haven't joined.  I used to play PGLS tournaments when they had one specifically for RTSM, MS and controller only.  If you ever want to play a match with either game let me know.   I find multiplayer always more fun than solo.   You have posted some well thought out comments in the past which I have found interesting.

• JoeF, Buck and DoGgs like this

RTSM - Pro

#1718 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:16 PM

@slouis

There is so so much to comment on and agree with in your post above...

But I can't say it as well as you did and so I will just slow clap in full agreement.

Spot. On.

#1719 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 27 February 2020 - 09:57 PM

The weird camera perspective of TGC has always bothered me, when you look down the fairway on any PG course it conveys a real world feel, with TGC it feels zoomed in and like slouis says above " Too pristine " this gives the game a look i just cannot identify with as golfer that plays both virtually and real world.  Basically i never feel immersed when playing TGC, its like golf on another planet that vaguely resembles earth.  :)

• slouis likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#1720 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 February 2020 - 01:40 AM

I've said this before but it's worth saying again:

One is a really good golf game, the other is a great game of golf.

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users