JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:38 PM

slouis wrote in the PGLS thread thusly:

1.) Why doesn't TGC have a roaming camera as they have in PG when you hit F5? 

It's a unfortunate oversight, or a conscious ommission.

2.) They should add the feature of being able to move the position of your ball on the tee box like you can in PG.

They should, and this was asked for repeatedly during the development of TGC 2 and 2019.

3.) The practice options in PG are vastly superior including able to play a course in practice mode with mulligans.  This also includes being able to place your ball anywhere on the course to practice specific shots at specific distances and lies.  The training option in TGC is very limited.

Agreed, on all counts.  It's pretty clear to me that HB Studios put little emphasis on practice and training options.

4.) Why are there no gimmes?  It is ridiculosis when you have to putt a ball 4 inches from the hole.

This is a glaring omission IMO.  At the very least, they should have offered 12", 18", and 2 foot gimmies.

• Charles likes this

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1722 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:45 PM

JCat, thanks for the feedback.  I play with a mouse.  I find the replays in TGC  very limited,  You can choose to view the avatar from the left, right, or behind.  Then when the ball is in flight it switches to what I call the telecast camera.  There is a kind of reverse replay but it is not like PG where you start looking back at the avatar. 

You're a more adventurous gamer than me if you can play TGC 2019 with a mouse!  It might be the most cumbersome mouse implementation I've seen in a computer golf game!  :o   I haven't played mouse control but once with it, and I don't recall the control options.  Is there not a key you can hit to bring up the near and distant, quasi reverse angle views on the fly when using it?  I know it's really easy to call them into action using the controller, and sometimes I cycle among all three options using the D-Pad during the shot.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1723 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:54 PM

I have a group of about six guys that I play multiplayer with and you are welcome to join us.  Five of them joined The Old Goats Tour but when the real golf season starts here I don't  play computer golf as much,  so haven't joined.  I used to play PGLS tournaments when they had one specifically for RTSM, MS and controller only.  If you ever want to play a match with either game let me know.   I find multiplayer always more fun than solo.   You have posted some well thought out comments in the past which I have found interesting.

Oh yeah, I've been playing in it since the season started... look for me in the bottom 10% of every leaderboard thus far in the current season :)  I think my Steam tag is "JohnRC".  I don't know what's happened to me over the last year, but my skills at this gave have fallen off big time.  I used to be among those complaining that the game was too easy, when I had my +17 handicap, but now that its at +7, I feel lucky to break par on most of the courses chosen for Society play.   It's weird... I'm humiliated in one sense, but for some morbid reason enjoying the game challenge more!?

• MERACE and Charles like this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1724 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 08:47 PM

Boy oh boy, the mood has sure turned sour over there...

I am surprised it took this long honestly, but it seems like the frustration finally boiled over with no updates and really no communication from HB anymore either. 

#1725 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:36 PM

Boy oh boy, the mood has sure turned sour over there...

I am surprised it took this long honestly, but it seems like the frustration finally boiled over with no updates and really no communication from HB anymore either. 

Not just there, but everywhere golf games are discussed.   Look at how hard it is to generate a discussion about ANY golf game at Operations Sports, for example.  I can't remember a time when there was this much disinterest and lack of enthusiasm for golf games since their inception.  It's a real buzz kill for me because golf games have been my favorites since I got into gaming in 1981 :(

• MERACE and Buck like this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1726 ArcadeHack

ArcadeHack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 March 2020 - 05:06 PM

The game needs a new Tiger Woods. Until that happens be happy with what you get.
  • JCat04 likes this

#1727 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:37 PM

The game needs a new Tiger Woods. Until that happens be happy with what you get.

Your comment would probably be more accurate if it said "be happy with what you have."  Right now it doesn't look like we're going to 'get' anything anytime soon.

I agree with your thought that the game needs a new Tiger Woods, but do you see a new Tiger Woods on the horizon?  Sadly, I sure don't.   Ricky Fowler has the charisma, but unfortunately he doesn't have enough Ws to go with it.  

• Buck likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1728 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:39 PM

I just want EA to bring back a mainstream PGA game and not hang their hat on one particular golfer, but rather a full field…

One could easily see the cover having three or four of them on there in a montage.

Also I would like them to build it with the long-term in mind. I would love to know what happened with Rory.

It sounded like they did have that plan to build the base and add content over time but something must’ve changed with management who didn’t understand the plan or something because they bailed way way way before they should have.

#1729 ArcadeHack

ArcadeHack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 March 2020 - 11:30 PM

Your comment would probably be more accurate if it said "be happy with what you have." Right now it doesn't look like we're going to 'get' anything anytime soon.

I agree with your thought that the game needs a new Tiger Woods, but do you see a new Tiger Woods on the horizon? Sadly, I sure don't. Ricky Fowler has the charisma, but unfortunately he doesn't have enough Ws to go with it.

Fowler isn’t even close to being a household name. Same with Rory McIlroy. I’m sure he’s more well known in Europe but definitely not here in the states. Nike brought Tiger back into the mix. Not sure why EA couldn’t do the same.

#1730 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 11:40 PM

I’m sure we have covered this in the past but it’s going to take a transcendent player that is breaking through more barriers than just golf score boards.

The entire angle with Tiger was a combination of amazing golf as well as his race and the history there in both the US and the sport of golf, etc

You just can’t get the sport of golf to go mainstream without a more general interest story that touches all sorts of households.

I am a golf and sports fan and even I don’t watch any golf other than maybe two tournaments a year.

It honestly just is not that compelling.

#1731 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 04 March 2020 - 07:10 AM

Maybe EA are afraid of poor sales because no games company these says are in it for the love of coding... I have an idea and come with me on this as its a bit radical..

Billie Eilish Golf ( EA sports )

Billie only appears as a female avatar but she is emblazoned on the front cover, the rest of the game is normal in a PGA tour sense.

WILL SELL BY THE SHED LOAD....GUARANTEED!

Now get to it EA :)

• Armand and Affo like this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#1732 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 04 March 2020 - 04:20 PM

I’m sure we have covered this in the past but it’s going to take a transcendent player that is breaking through more barriers than just golf score boards.

The entire angle with Tiger was a combination of amazing golf as well as his race and the history there in both the US and the sport of golf, etc

You just can’t get the sport of golf to go mainstream without a more general interest story that touches all sorts of households.

I am a golf and sports fan and even I don’t watch any golf other than maybe two tournaments a year.

It honestly just is not that compelling.

The biggest thing is the lack of a transcendent player in the game right now.  People will still watch when Tiger is in the mix, but it's still not quite the same as when it was in his prime.  I watch the majors all four rounds, The Players Championship, the World Matchplay Championships, and the Wells Fargo Championship (because it's practically in my back yard).  When I was in my 30's and 40's, I watched at least 80% of the tournaments.  The general draw is gone, but when it's on... it's still on, those moments are just becoming more and more rare.

On a related note, we are getting a new 'golf game' later this year on the PS4, Switch and XBox One.  The resoundingly popular "Golf With Your Friends" is coming to all three of these consoles! :wacko:   My son doesn't like or play golf, yet I see him playing this with his mid-20's friends online on the PC quite often.  It looks goofy as heck, and you can't even call it putt-putt golf, it's just chaotic, bouncing, chipping, skipping madness that has more resemblance to a physics experiment sandbox than a golf game.  It's just a reflection of where golf and golf games are in the eyes of today's millennals :(

• Buck and Greensboronclion like this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#1733 ArcadeHack

ArcadeHack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:03 PM

Maybe EA are afraid of poor sales because no games company these says are in it for the love of coding... I have an idea and come with me on this as its a bit radical..
Billie only appears as a female avatar but she is emblazoned on the front cover, the rest of the game is normal in a PGA tour sense.
WILL SELL BY THE SHED LOAD....GUARANTEED!
Now get to it EA :)

I had to google who she was. Is looking depressed her thing? Seems she would be a better fit for a suicide prevention poster than a golf game.

#1734 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:33 PM

Whatever gets the game made is good by me!

#1735 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:35 PM

I had to google who she was. Is looking depressed her thing?

Looks to me like "kicking ass and taking names" is her "thing" - girl is killin' it!  

But in 2019, teenager Billie Eilish shook up the status quo, often without raising her voice above a whisper. Eilish’s debut album, When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?, finishes at Number One on the inaugural year-end Rolling Stone Top 200 Albums Chart. Despite its humble roots — produced entirely with her brother Finneas in their family’s home in Highland Park —When We All Fall Asleep finished the year with 2.5 million total album-equivalent units in 2019, 400,000 more units than any other album.

Link: https://www.rollings...o-we-go-931512/

#1736 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 04 March 2020 - 08:20 PM

Not all modern music is trash, this girl has a lot of talent fair play.  She plays a mean guitar and banjo, writes her own music and sings beautifully.

• Buck likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#1737 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 04 March 2020 - 08:42 PM

Here's a good listen to her acoustic versions.  No "angst" seen.

• Buck likes this

#1738 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 05 March 2020 - 10:48 AM

My introduction to Billie Eilish was her performance on SNL last year:

https://www.youtube....h?v=Jn1Uwsg3eRQ

And I also enjoy the Carpool Karaoke video (with James Corden)

https://www.youtube....h?v=uh2qGWfmESk

#1739 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 06 March 2020 - 05:57 AM

Armand - good to see you're still checking in to the PP site.

What I find amazing about Billie Eilish (and her brother) is that all of their music is home produced on his PC.

James Corden has some really fun Carpool Karaoke bits:

Foo Fighters  https://www.youtube....h?v=5Xe0Qd6bUFo

Red Hot Chili Peppers https://www.youtube....h?v=cfudXO_vzWk

Billie uses some of Dave Grohl's concert mechanics in her concerts - "how's the left side doing" type stuff.

#1740 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 06 March 2020 - 12:10 PM

I do check in regularly, but I'm not sure why other than habit!  :D   

I haven't played the game for a long while (still don't have a decent video card and too busy with other life activities).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users