#61 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 07:11 PM

Huge Asian market from my perception.

Maybe that's where the golf gaming development will come from.

Interesting observation Ted.

I do wonder though, and this is bad stereotyping so I apologize in advance, if the interest is there for a simulation oriented game like we have here vs the "Everybody's Golf" type of stuff.

Even if gameplay could be simulation oriented under the hood, it's always struck me that Asian gaming culture has an interest in avatars and anime style and just very different "gaming theme type of stuff" vs many/most Western demographics.  I find it sort of hard to understand but also really interesting actually.

I'm in no way passing judgement on it other than to say I've noticed the seemingly different preferences of many Asian markets and their gaming cultures.

Ultimately - wherever the demand might come from is irrelevant to me --- if it creates the incentive to make a simulation oriented game that could be consistently developed over time.  The one-off nature of PP/PG & HB/TGC is frustrating to say the least.  So many efforts made that keep resulting in sale of the IP or simply abandonment of the ongoing effort.

The latter example is of course still potentially an "open matter" depending upon what HB might do (or not) under their new CEO.

#62 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 07:12 PM

We, myself included are overly demanding consumers for a realistic Golf Sim/game.  We demand much in a short period of time

I'm curious - what do you consider to be a "short period of time"?

• Parboy likes this

#63 Abe

Abe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:29 AM

I forgot to mention in my post in this thread how much effort the Course Designers have put into learning how to add Three Dimensional Grass. Or as we have all fondly come to know it as 3DG.

http://www.perfectpa...agedy/?p=176647

#64 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:38 PM

Being that I am spending the winter in the warmth of Florida I cant play any of the modern games of video golf and have gone back to playing Links 2003 and enjoying it quite much. Amazing how well the game has held up thru the years and I even have been screwing around with its version of RTS. I no longer believe we will ever see another version of video golf as its just not profitable enough so I will play what I have and I have a lot from Links to Tiger to Rory to JNPG and all the TGC versions. I even have all the Hot Shot Golfs so no shortage and for me its always been about gameplay not graphics and I have a lot of good gameplay. Lets face reality that the video golf market is dead and we have to learn to live with that and no false hope here that we see another. I agree with Ted that PG1 was so close and if they would have finished it we would have had a perfect game.
  • RobV likes this

#65 DennisHarris

DennisHarris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • LocationSummerville SC

Posted 01 March 2020 - 12:46 AM

I'm curious - what do you consider to be a "short period of time"?

We have to be patient with indie developers.  "A short period of time imho is months if not years".    I will admit it seems like Perfect Parallel has has abandoned us.  But it is our current best hope. 

Also Indie developers are small companies with 1 or two programmers and maybe an IT person.  Example:  I play American Truck Simulator and it take 4 to six months for one state to be released.  They have a team of 6 to 10 developer/programmers and -  We only have Cali, Oregon. Washington St., Utah, Arizona and New Mexico over 3 years.  Idaho is just now in beta testing so 6 to 8 weeks until it is released. 

Digital Storm Ryzen 9 3900X/12 core  3.79MHZ/16 gig Ram /  Radeon R5700xt

#66 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 10:52 AM

I’m not even sure if Perfect Parallel are a company anymore. Mike Jones seems to have left PP to work for TM.

Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#67 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 07:27 PM

At this point, suggesting that "more patience" is required here is akin to being at the pier waiting for the Titanic to pull in "any day now".
  • MERACE and RobV like this

#68 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 March 2020 - 07:05 PM

:)

• Buck likes this

#69 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 07:12 PM

Brutal!

What a tease...  

I hope there is a surprise behind that smile

• Keith likes this

#70 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 07:36 PM

:blink:

• SteadiEddie likes this

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:

Bradford Links - released

Ironwood - released

Cypress Landing - released (also available in a 3DG version)

Crow's Nest - released

#71 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 March 2020 - 09:07 PM

It should be obvious to anyone who has played video golf through out the years what the underlying problem that has plagued every franchise in the past actually is. The problem is and it hurts me to say this, is the option of  of the developers to allow the community of  that particular simulation to introduce their custom designed courses into that simulation and virtually take it over. We all know that in order to present a complete polished golf sim product is very costly. Once on the market how will they continue to generate a continuous flow of revenue for that product? They would have to introduce a new version at least every other year with earth shattering improvements. Why are we still here? It certainly is not this games infrastrutcure but the courses that are created by this community and they are getting better all the time. Microsoft finally realized that the APCD was not difficult enough for the community designers to design better looking courses than the ones their designers were putting out and charging for. TW's 06 was the last year that EA Sports offered their Course Architect for personal designs to be used in the TW series. The TW community after considerable tweaking got the 06 Architect to work in both TW7 & TW8 and is still introducing custom designs as we speak for the TW8 game. If you have a complete golf sim with an interface including many whistles and bells and topping it off with allowing custom courses to be introduced, you would be satisfied for quite some time. Ask the guys at Links Corner or at Course Downloads, if they are totally unhappy. Sure, they would both like to see an updated platform but at least they are not totally disgusted.

• cajuncapgun and Mulligan like this

#72 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 09:10 PM

The answer is simple…

A monthly subscription for access to the core game, multiplayer and design software

#73 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 10:40 PM

The answer is simple…

A monthly subscription for access to the core game, multiplayer and design software

That's crazy. By the end of the year we probably would put in hundreds of dollars. For a video game, I won't  pay it. I'll just keep on playing what I have. Personally speaking, I think this game is pretty good. If improvements came along of course I would be on board, and pay the price for the game, but not a subscription that could end up costing a lot of money that us retirees probably don't have.

• IanK likes this

#74 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 11:07 PM

That's crazy. By the end of the year we probably would put in hundreds of dollars. For a video game, I won't  pay it. I'll just keep on playing what I have. Personally speaking, I think this game is pretty good. If improvements came along of course I would be on board, and pay the price for the game, but not a subscription that could end up costing a lot of money that us retirees probably don't have.

You're dismissing the subscription concept before having enough information to rationally do so.

(we don't know what pricing might look like)

For all we know, it could be something like $20 up front & $5/mo, which would be exceptionally reasonable.

#75 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 11:09 PM

I see why nobody makes golf games by the way.

Nobody wants to pay anything but then is upset with no updates?

We paid $20-30 for this game like 4 or 5 years ago now.  We don't even deserve any updates at this point based upon that level of contribution.

The people who should be getting paid by us now are the course designers.

Any new or updated PC golf game from PP or TM will absolutely need to be a brand new purchase or new model (subscription).  

It'd be way more than time for that again.

• Tigers Agent likes this

#76 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 March 2020 - 11:47 PM

Actually this Sim has been around since 2013. But that is not the issue. If it were not for the custom courses and online play this Sim would have long been forgotten. I realize the $20 or what ever was certainly reasonable enough at the time. Twenty or thirty dollars excluding the custom designs of course is plenty for basically a skeletal structure.

• RobV and Ted_Ball like this

#77 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:27 AM

Well... 

It looks like we may get exactly what many appear to be willing to pay.

"Nothing"

#78 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 03 March 2020 - 01:25 AM

Buck.

We paid $20 at the early release of the bare game. It's now $49.95. I hope you don't think we should pay the extra $30 now to be kind. I don't think that's how the internet works.  :)

But I would certainly pay a subscription (probably yearly) for a game of a high standard. It would have to be good though. The courses issue is a problem. I consider I got burned puchasing PP courses.

What you would have to do is give us an idea of what you envisage the model would be.

How much for upfront? 

Cost of subscription?

Time frame for the subscription?

Features included?

Type of expected upgrades?

Course cost modelling?

and anything else you think of.

To have any support for your concept we have to know these things.

You'll have to do PP's research for them (if they still exist).

#79 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 02:11 AM

But I would certainly pay a subscription (probably yearly) for a game of a high standard.

That's honestly the only starting point that matters..

Just being open to the idea is the starting point someone would need to see (from a dev point of view).

I share your sentiments on this.

I honestly just want the game to be updated further and development to be continued in some way shape or form.  There's so much potential here that it'll be a tremendous shame if nothing more ever happens with it.  (here on PC side I mean)

#80 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 03 March 2020 - 02:54 AM

Ah. Communication.

What separates us from the amoeba.

• erwildcat likes this