169 replies to this topic

#41 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:17 AM

I would really love to learn Unity. Please can anyone recommend any decent tutorials for the hard of learning? ;-)
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#42 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:01 PM

Ouch.. In that 3rd pic that neon green grass has to go, it doesn't match the color pallet at all. Everything else looks very nice.

If you mean directly in front then thats the billboard of the bush which yes needs to change but I dont have that many different bushes yet...or there is the green over on the right which is the overhead so that will go anyway

This is the same picture with the settings turned up :-

0WIpxR3.jpg?1

Cheers Rob

• Dazmaniac likes this

#43 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:30 PM

Re: the neon grass - You can double click on the texture file of a billboard in Unity to open it in Photoshop, you can perform color manipulations on it to match the other billboards and then save it. Your change will be reflected in Unity. The original billboard remains unchanged, btw, because Unity created a copy of it at import and placed it in your assets.

Looks gorgeous, Rob. Be careful about the "identical-trees-placed-alongside-each-other" phenomenon.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#44 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:49 PM

Thanks K11

Again Ref the 'Identical trees' until I work out the tree crearor its all I have to work with mate

#45 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:20 PM

I know, diversity is still small. Never mind, untrained eyes will not register this detail.

Good luck with the tree editor, I quickly gave up and decided it was nothing for me but a bloody nuisance. If you dwell in the windows universe, there are many tree-creator apps (even free ones) producing better results much more quickly. There's also Speedtree, but that one costs lots of money.

And there is the pauper's solution, of course: Wait for U5, because then trees can be rotated individually.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#46 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:00 PM

I would really love to learn Unity. Please can anyone recommend any decent tutorials for the hard of learning? ;-)

K,

Go to YouTube and search for Unity Tutorials. You'll get plenty to choose from for the specific area of Unity you are wanting to study.

;)

• IanK likes this

#47 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:13 AM

NoPutt's got a couple tutorials that got me over the hump. They might be still on this forum somewhere.

• IanK likes this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#48 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:28 AM

Thank you for the suggestions. I have watched a number of tutorials but they always seem to assume that the watcher knows something about using this type of program. To me, who has no experience at all, it all seems very confusing and time consuming.
I'll carry on looking for a tutorial that is aimed more at the complete novice.
  • Stephen Sullivan likes this
WWG1WGA

#49 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:42 AM

You can't get more basic than these. They are 2 years old, and you probably watched them. But just in case...

There's only one thing not covered in there and that is how to move about in the scene view. They are the classic FPS controls:

Right-click to pivot the view

W for Forward (or scroll wheel)

S for Backward (or scroll wheel)

A for strafe left

D for strafe right

Q for Down

E for Up

Shift Key + WASDEQ: Increase speed of movement.

This was made on an older version of Unity. The functionalities are the same, but certain things have been moved around. For instance, the creation of a terrain object works differently. Try "game objects" in the top menu and follow your nose from there.

• Bruce R and IanK like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#50 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:32 AM

Thank you Kablammo ,
I've not seen these. I'll see how an old git like me gets on with them. ;-)
WWG1WGA

#51 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:59 AM

Like most of the videos I've watched they assume that you know the basics. Mike imports data from his own course. That isn't much use when I'm trying to get the hang of setting up my own terrain, sky and water.
WWG1WGA

#52 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:25 AM

These ARE the basics. It really does not get more basic than that. The videos cover terrain creation, lighting, skybox and terrain brush manipulations - these are exactly the same, whether you import an already existing course or start with zero preparation.

Water planes are inside Unity. I guess I could tell you where to look for them, but you really need to find out these things for yourself.

If you want a small selection of additional textures, billboards and trees (chief among them the princely willow), you will need to dl them for free from the Unity asset store with this link: https://www.assetsto...n/#!/content/6 

Other than that you are on your own regarding additional textures, grasses, trees, stones and objects. 

It's a bit difficult to set you up if all you are able to convey is a diffuse unease at a new software, and no visible inclination at all to engage in a bit of tedious homework. Surely you do not expect to be spoon-fed everything you will ever need to know about Unity and CF through this channel alone? First steps are harder than they ought to be, I can confirm that, but I can also tell you that the imaginary problems are mostly between your ears. Get in there and tough it out, won't take you too long.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#53 BSilvernail

BSilvernail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Florida

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:36 AM

Here is a link that was posted by Keith in another thread. It is a very good online course that goes over the steps for using Unity's terrain tools:
https://www.udemy.co...nmental-series/

The video is based on an older version of Unity, so some of the interface has changed. For instance, in Unity 4.6 to create a terrain you will need to go the 'Hierachy' tab, then the 'Create' menu, then '3D Object', and finally 'Terrain'. You can skip the first tutorial that goes over creating a bump map. I don't believe Perfect Golf supports them at this time for terrain.

#54 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:54 PM

These ARE the basics. It really does not get more basic than that. The videos cover terrain creation, lighting, skybox and terrain brush manipulations - these are exactly the same, whether you import an already existing course or start with zero preparation.

Water planes are inside Unity. I guess I could tell you where to look for them, but you really need to find out these things for yourself.
If you want a small selection of additional textures, billboards and trees (chief among them the princely willow), you will need to dl them for free from the Unity asset store with this link: https://www.assetsto...n/#!/content/6 
Other than that you are on your own regarding additional textures, grasses, trees, stones and objects. 

It's a bit difficult to set you up if all you are able to convey is a diffuse unease at a new software, and no visible inclination at all to engage in a bit of tedious homework. Surely you do not expect to be spoon-fed everything you will ever need to know about Unity and CF through this channel alone? First steps are harder than they ought to be, I can confirm that, but I can also tell you that the imaginary problems are mostly between your ears. Get in there and tough it out, won't take you too long.

I think your comments are a little unfair. Unless you're used to this type of interface Unity seems very daunting indeed.
I will persevere with the videos but Mike's only show how to import previously created terrain and heightmaps.
  • Stephen Sullivan likes this
WWG1WGA

#55 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:07 PM

I think your comments are a little unfair. Unless you're used to this type of interface Unity seems very daunting indeed.
I will persevere with the videos but Mike's only show how to import previously created terrain and heightmaps.

I totally agree Knighters and I was just about to say so. It is not the way to encourage those of us who are less confident in using new stuff. Is it any wonder some of us mostly lurk and say very little if this is the way we will be spoken to.

Posted Image

#56 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:31 PM

K11 will help with anything and everything that pertains to Unity and CF.

Are his post sometimes crass and littered with fierce innuendo? Yes, but

if you persevere and weed out the chaff, you will find wisdom and knowledge

in his every post.  Nothing is hidden, it's all out there, so grab your basket

and go find those eggs.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#57 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:52 PM

Sorry NoPutt, but I work in the public service industry in the UK. If one of my colleagues spoke to a customer like that he would have been taken to one side and spoken to quite severely.

It's also one of the reasons I didn't take up the offer from Mike to test CF as I knew this is how things would go if I asked "Stupid" questions.

• IanK likes this
Posted Image

#58 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:35 PM

Thanks for the vote of quasi-confidence, NoPutt. No I don't work in the service industry and neither is Ian my customer. I will try and help with almost everything related to CF and Unity that I can, and I believe my track record supports this. But I can't do anything about unspecified observations of a generally defeatist nature. Except recommending, perhaps, a necessary adjustment of attitude.

Apologies if I stepped on your toes, Ian, but honestly, I did not write what I wrote because I enjoy aggravating complete strangers, but because at this stage this is exactly what, imo, you need to hear. I certainly would not want to cause you any further distress, though, so I will abstain from providing help henceforth.

As for you, Stephen - the immortal Mike Jones said it best in post 28 of this very thread. Mine was but the "bad cop" version of his good cop admonition. 

Sorry about the multiple thread hijackings, Rob.

• RobC, shimonko and NoPutt like this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#59 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:57 PM

You haven't stepped on my toes K11. I was only looking for a video or two to show me the absolute basics of Unity to get me prepared for Course Forge. No need for anyone to get upset. As far as I'm aware all we need to know in Unity is how to create the terrain, apply textures and a sky. Mike's video was fine up to a point but he imported terrain and a height map for the terrain to work from. How were these achieved? That is a rhetorical question by the way, no need to answer. I'll go my own way from now on.
WWG1WGA

#60 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTeesside, UK #UTB

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:20 PM

Knighters (Ian?) as far as I know, you are correct in that all you need to know in unity is creating a terrain, manipulating that terrain and also how to import and apply textures. The skybox has changed in unity5 so I wouldn't get too hung up on that. I haven't got courseforge so I can't comment anymore on that but it sounds like you are on the right track. There are more advanced bits like the trees and grasses but that's for another day!

Cheers

Bruce
  • IanK likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users