129 replies to this topic

#21 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

Maybe some Mods could just delete the last Post. It is ok to say nothing related to the thread, but saying nothing at all seems a bit much for me...

Who cares...

#22 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

Done and topic restored!

#23 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:17 PM

Brian... quite possibly my eyes, but are alot of the holes using sunken fairways ? It shows a few regarding several of your latest images and I'm curious to see how the ball is likely to end up in the middle of the fairway all the time based on this.

Maybe include a few challenges, whereby going long allows that safety, but shorter accurate shots make landing on the fairway harder, with a roll off slope etc.

No basins lol..

I told Brian about your failing eyesight and twitching clicking finger Ian and I guess he's trying to help you out a little :)

#24 Brian

Brian

Dev Team

• Administrators
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

Hi guys, nice to see my topic is back up. Yesterday I worked on some CF library modifications to get the course textures looking unique. CF makes it easy to just swap out textures which can instantly make your course look different. Here are some screens from yesterday to demonstrate this.

Attached File  1_23_screenshot01.PNG   781.17KB   2 downloadsAttached File  1_23_screenshot02.PNG   711.75KB   1 downloadsAttached File  1_23_screenshot03.PNG   717.08KB   1 downloadsAttached File  1_23_screenshot04.PNG   707.64KB   2 downloads

Ian, you make a good point. A lot of my fairways slope towards the center. I can probably adjust slopes to provide challenging/safe areas.

• nstone73 likes this

#25 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

I wouldn't want to drive a cart off the end of that path in the last pic! :lol:

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#26 Brian

Brian

Dev Team

• Administrators
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

Ha, yes very slopey. Suppose it will be worth going through and smoothing out some areas

#27 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

Or some fencing/guardrails might look nice in areas like that... Course is looking very nice! I like the way the paths are carved into the hillsides, reminds me of Wolf Creek in Las Vegas...

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#28 Brian

Brian

Dev Team

• Administrators
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

Began planting a few of the holes. Good suggestion Axe, I threw a fence in along one of the cartpaths.

Attached File  1_24_screenshot01.PNG   1.09MB   2 downloadsAttached File  1_24_screenshot02.PNG   1.04MB   0 downloadsAttached File  1_24_screenshot03.PNG   1.05MB   0 downloadsAttached File  1_24_screenshot04.PNG   1.23MB   1 downloadsAttached File  1_24_screenshot05.PNG   1.24MB   30 downloads

• nstone73 likes this

#29 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

Starting to look very real!

Very impressive how quickly you're making these changes....gives us novices so e hope!

#30 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

Yup, that looks gr8!... In the TW's CA we have to actually plant objects and we can lower and raise them incrementally, can or do you need to do that with your CA (course architect)? If so and not to be picky, can you lower that walking bridge, it looks like it is to far up in the air.. Love the fence, bam!!

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#31 Brian

Brian

Dev Team

• Administrators
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

Thanks Dave. And axe, within Unity, you can move objects around very easily right in the editor with the move gizmo. Or you can also position items numerically with x,y,z coordinates.

#32 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

I see Brian and thank you for doing this and answering our questions as you go.. It's very cool to watch... Good luck

• Davefevs likes this

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#33 dr-nix

dr-nix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:41 PM

Perhaps a stupid question, but why don't you pick an existing piece of land and just add a golf course to it. Or is the point of this thing to create everything from scratch?!

- I typed "rm -rf /*" and now my system won't boot!

#34 Brian

Brian

Dev Team

• Administrators
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:04 PM

Good question dr-nix. That's actually something that we were considering, and will probably eventually do. For now we wanted to demonstrate the ability to sculpt terrain yourself though and show that you can get good results even without any preexisting data.

#35 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

I told Brian about your failing eyesight and twitching clicking finger Ian and I guess he's trying to help you out a little :)

Thanks Mike lol.

Liking the planting Brian, a course never looks like a course until a shadow falls onto it, unless it's a links course of course!

Talking of eyesight Mike, did you see my reply? :)

#36 Brian

Brian

Dev Team

• Administrators
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:28 PM

Here's some more screenshots. Almost have the front 9 holes planted

Attached File  1_24_screenshot06.PNG   1.22MB   2 downloadsAttached File  1_24_screenshot07.PNG   1001.18KB   1 downloadsAttached File  1_24_screenshot08.PNG   1.14MB   0 downloadsAttached File  1_24_screenshot09.PNG   1.16MB   0 downloads

#37 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

Looking good Brian.

How did you find the planting of the 3D grasses went? Is it fiddly or no different to applying other terrain grasses?

;)

#38 mjhamilton113

mjhamilton113

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLincoln, RI

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:40 AM

How difficult is it to build those bridges and pathways made of wood. They are very impressive and seem to have come along rather quickly

#39 Brian

Brian

Dev Team

• Administrators
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:19 AM

Thanks Daz. In Unity planting 3d grasses is as simple as it is to paint textures on the terrain. The terrain tools that ship with Unity include heightmap sculpting, texture painting, tree planting and grass planting. All of which are basically brushes that you can paint the terrain with and very simple to use; each having opacity and size sliders.

MJ, the bridges and pathways are objects that I had modeled in Maya. Unfortunately for anything beyond basic shapes, you won't be able to model them within Unity, so a modeling package is required (of course there are free ones like Blender). I believe that when we ship Course Forge, it will include some objects like this so that the users can utilize them as well.

• Ron Piskorik, Keith and IanD like this

#40 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:12 AM

The textures give the course so much depth. The screenshots remind me of some P2P courses from Links like Owlestry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users