#61 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

I would expect to see answers like these since the question has be posed here in the Course Forge section. I'm betting if we pose this question to the general forums, we would see different answers.... But, what's the point? Unless PP really wants to know the answer.

There's little point in asking people who aren't interested in designing when they want the CourseForge is there? People who want to design will be reading this forum.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#62 sirputterman

sirputterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

It is a tough call and those saying whats the point of designing courses with nothing to play them on have a good point. Still I would like to see CF released asap as also mentioned this helps wet the appitie even more. It also helps get the learning curve started for when the game is ready to go. Personally the sooner  CF is released the sooner I can see if this is something I can tackle and make some solid course designs. If the CF and PPG  can be bought seperately or in a bundle then anyone on the fence about buying both may have the answer simply by trying the CF first. For some it may not be their cup of tea after all. This "preview " would allow them to see what all is involved and then they can make a better descision on buying a bundle (If its offered) or just the game.

#63 Barry

Barry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationNorth London

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

I'd love to have a dabble at the CF as soon as it's ready

#64 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

Loving the course Brian. We' ll be doing loads of tutorials when CourseForge goes public. We are currently in private Beta stage with several people testing it. So far their feedback has been great and we are planning on making some of the changes suggested to make life easier when creating your own courses.

The question is - would you like to wait for a version of PerfectGolf in order to test CF or would you like to see a version of CF released as soon as its ready?

So Acrilix, are you saying then that there was no point to Mike's question? Because it wasn't I who asked it.. But since it was asked, I gave my answer... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#65 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:49 PM

@axe360 - I'm not saying there was no point in asking the question, I'm saying there is no point in your idea of asking the people who are not interested in designing, the question. The sooner the CourseForge is out, the sooner people can get started on their projects, and pass on their experiences, knowledge and tips to others. Your argument that people can't design a course without something to test it on is simply wrong. Admittedly it's a little harder, but until recently, real course designers have always had to design their courses without the ability to test them. They simply make any alterations later, if needed, to fine tune them.

#66 sirputterman

sirputterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

I don't think he meant that you can't design them but it is a lot better to design and test as you go along and make the needed changes. However  its not a perfect world (sorry guys no copy right infringement meant ;) ) so I guess having something to do is better then nothing  or at least to me it is.

#67 sirputterman

sirputterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:00 PM

I do though think we are getting a bit off track and perhaps a poll or a seperate post might  be better. So lets get back to the Life of Brian. Umm er  that is the course of Brian :lol: 

#68 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:10 PM

@axe360 - I'm not saying there was no point in asking the question, I'm saying there is no point in your idea of asking the people who are not interested in designing, the question. The sooner the CourseForge is out, the sooner people can get started on their projects, and pass on their experiences, knowledge and tips to others. Your argument that people can't design a course without something to test it on is simply wrong. Admittedly it's a little harder, but until recently, real course designers have always had to design their courses without the ability to test them. They simply make any alterations later, if needed, to fine tune them.

In the interest of this thread, I deleted my response here and I took my own advice and am taking this to the pm's... Sorry Brian for any inconvenience.

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#69 TheBigYin519

TheBigYin519

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada via Scotland

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:11 PM

I would think that anyone interested in "designing" would like C.F. as soon as possible.

I would also think that anyone only interested in playing P.P. Golf would like to have it a.s.a.p. & would not be all that concerned about the release of C.F..

This topic 'TPC Brian' is about the designing of a course using C.F..

So when Mike asked the question about C.F. in this topic, I feel it is not "off topic".

To answer your question Mike, roll out C.F. when it is ready & not before.

John

Win  10 64bit

#70 flinty125

flinty125

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNottingham, United Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

CF to come as soon as its ready 

#71 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDevon.u.k / born London

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:49 AM

Both Steve and Brian have had months of practice with Unity and the Forge. I somehow don't think that the rest of us will be able to progress at a similar speed. 

exactly, that's why we want it a.s.a.p to give us time to learn.

• Davefevs likes this

#72 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, England

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

Personally, I'd like to see CF available whenever it's ready...  If that's before PG then thats fine by me.  I'm more a designer than a hardcore player anyway.  Also, think of all the courses that'll be either ready or a playtest away from being ready in advance of the full game release.  Surely that's potentially another selling point.

#73 Brian

Brian

Dev Team

• Administrators
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

Hey guys, nice to see so much interest here in Course Forge. Now that I'm back from the weekend, I will continue to post updates on my course. Hopefully since everyone is so eager to start using it, we will be able to get these tools to you soon!

Attached File  1_27_screenshot01.PNG   1.3MB   2 downloadsAttached File  1_27_screenshot02.PNG   1.29MB   1 downloadsAttached File  1_27_screenshot03.PNG   1.17MB   1 downloads

• remers likes this

#74 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

I love the nice green textures of your fairway's and greens. :)

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#75 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

Nice work, Brian!

#76 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:55 PM

Thanks Brian,

I'm wondering if you can give us some close-ups on the bunkers please mate.. especially the edges. Getting quite curious regarding what sorts of bunker edges we can see regarding Unity etc. Some of those 'older Links' courses MJ designed had some great pot hole bunkers, that I recall annoyingly once you were in them lol. Yours have some interesting overhangs that i wonder about, but can't quite see.

Question regarding textures used for the bunkers.. how many in yours ?

#77 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:58 PM

Thanks for the latest update Brian. Course is progressing nicely!

Ken

#78 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

Love the last pic! ;)

• Davefevs likes this

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#79 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

Love the last pic! ;)

I was thinking exactly the same.

#80 Brian

Brian

Dev Team

• Administrators
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the comments. Here are a few more pictures (of probably my favorite hole on the course) including a bunker close-up for you Ian. Course Forge allows you to use an underlying image, and a detail texture layered on top for each type of mesh, so this is what I am doing with the bunkers: one underlying texture, a detail textre and then a seperate one for the bunker edges. These can all be applied and adjusted with Course Forge's layers library.

Attached File  1_27_screenshot04.PNG   1.17MB   1 downloadsAttached File  1_27_screenshot05.PNG   1.19MB   1 downloadsAttached File  1_27_screenshot06.PNG   983.13KB   1 downloadsAttached File  1_27_screenshot07.PNG   1.31MB   1 downloads

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users