129 replies to this topic

#81 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

Looking good and very intriguing Brian. Appreciate the reply and help with the image.

That's a great looking hole and like the elevation from tee to fairway, then again from fairway to green.. even the devilish slope of the green.. #backspinrequired... keep up the good work !

#82 shimonko

shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:52 PM

\I'm wondering if you can give us some close-ups on the bunkers please mate.. especially the edges. Getting quite curious regarding what sorts of bunker edges we can see regarding Unity etc. Some of those 'older Links' courses MJ designed had some great pot hole bunkers, that I recall annoyingly once you were in them lol. Yours have some interesting overhangs that i wonder about, but can't quite see.

Which pics had the overhangs Ian? This would suggest CF is overdigging the terrain and blending in a lining mesh, very impressive if so.

#83 Brian

Brian

Dev Team

• Administrators
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

A few more shots from the back nine:

Attached File  1_27_screenshot08.PNG   1.04MB   5 downloadsAttached File  1_27_screenshot09.PNG   1.19MB   2 downloadsAttached File  1_27_screenshot10.PNG   1.28MB   2 downloadsAttached File  1_27_screenshot11.PNG   969.32KB   1 downloadsAttached File  1_27_screenshot12.PNG   1.03MB   1 downloads

#84 TheBigYin519

TheBigYin519

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada via Scotland

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:48 AM

Hi Brian,

Now you're really teasing us   :lol: .

The course is looking really good & getting better each time as shown by your screenshots.

How about doing a "flyby" of your favourite hole & posting on the 'video' page ???

John

• Tazz and Davefevs like this

Win  10 64bit

#85 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:25 AM

Looking great Brian..wouldn't want to go long on some of those greens.  Some tricky up and downs it appears.

#86 Brian

Brian

Dev Team

• Administrators
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

Ha yeah, you're right Keith. Maybe I'll smooth out the terrain a bit behind the greens so its no so drastic of an elevation change.

And good idea John. When the course is finished I will post a couple of flybys. I'd like to have the whole plot tree-planted before doing so since right now I've only planted the areas around the holes, and from certain angles it still looks pretty bare.

More to come today.

#87 Brian

Brian

Dev Team

• Administrators
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

Hey guys, here are some images of the last few holes on the course. Planting is just about done. Just finishing up some final touches now.

Attached File  1_28_screenshot01.PNG   1.31MB   4 downloadsAttached File  1_28_screenshot02.PNG   1.3MB   3 downloadsAttached File  1_28_screenshot03.PNG   1.26MB   3 downloadsAttached File  1_28_screenshot04.PNG   1.13MB   3 downloadsAttached File  1_28_screenshot05.PNG   1.1MB   3 downloadsAttached File  1_28_screenshot06.PNG   1.24MB   4 downloads

• shimonko likes this

#88 mhammer113

mhammer113

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

I cannot wait to get my hands on this technology. Very impressed with what you've done in so little time

#89 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:43 PM

Very nice indeed!

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#90 Brian

Brian

Dev Team

• Administrators
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

Thanks guy. Here's just a few more shots before I take off today. The course is pretty much finished aesthetically. Just need to add some stuff to get it ready for Perfect Golf. Will try to have a few videos uploaded tomorrow.

Attached File  1_28_screenshot07.PNG   1.42MB   2 downloadsAttached File  1_28_screenshot08.PNG   1.15MB   3 downloadsAttached File  1_28_screenshot09.PNG   1.3MB   2 downloadsAttached File  1_28_screenshot10.PNG   1.1MB   2 downloads

• Dazmaniac, KenR, Acrilix and 3 others like this

#91 Harald

Harald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationNuremberg, Germany

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:59 AM

Absolutly great Design Brian! Can't wait to play this Course.

I7-6700k, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, Palit GTX 1070 Super Jetstream 8GB,16 GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3200, Enermax Revolution87+ 850 W ATX 2.4, SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Eizo Color Graphic CS270 - 27", Win 10 Pro (64bit)

#92 Blackadar

Blackadar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

Brian, good job!

Just a suggestion - in the 2nd screenshot in your last post, the drop behind the middle-left green is really severe and the cart path runs right next to it.  That's a really hard combination - someone could miss the green by a foot and have a 20-30 yard impossible comeback shot.  Remove the "loop" in the cart path just below the green (or, if you were standing on the fairway the left side of the green) and make that a collection area.  I can't tell if the fairway goes all the way to the green or not, but it should...a hole like that needs to be a run-on green because the penalties behind the green are so severe.  A couple of small adjustments there would make that hole much more playable without removing the difficulty.

I love the elevated cart path in that first screenshot and the split rail fence in the last one.  Touches like that make a course seem real.

• shimonko likes this

#93 Brian

Brian

Dev Team

• Administrators
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

Thanks for the great advice Blackadar. I've reduced the severity of the drop-off behind the green and also adjusted the cartpath (which now actually makes more sense because it's more clear which is the next hole). This should make it more forgiving for those that over-shoot the green.

Attached File  Capture.PNG   1.24MB   2 downloadsAttached File  Capture2.PNG   1.18MB   2 downloads

#94 mjhamilton113

mjhamilton113

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLincoln, RI

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

Everything looks very good, but I was expecting tall grass, heather, and wind sweeping fescue to look much better. I know this is a specific thing, but will this look better for Links style golf courses and places where fescue shapes bunkers especially courses like Bandon Dunes and Pine Valley? Thanks

#95 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

Nicely done Brian. It's obvious you know your way around CF, but I'm impressed that you've created your course in this much detail in so short a time. I think this is a testament on how much easier CF will be to create courses than the APCD was for those who want to try their hand at course creation.

Thanks for sharing your course with us in its creative stages. Looking forward to the release of CF, and I'm going to guess it won't be long now.

Ken

#96 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDevon.u.k / born London

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

great work from you and Steve, but I think seeing your work has made waiting for CF even worse.

#97 garynorman

garynorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, England

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

Great looking work.  I think that you have got a good handle on the thing that sets good looking courses apart from average ones and thats to pay attention to the elevations around the holes, and not just to focus on tee, fairway and green...  Good natural looking terrain all around!!

G

#98 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

I'd love to see some wilder stuff around the wood bridges through the grasses. IRL you wouldn't need those the way the grass currently is so wispy so look to beefing up the undergrowth there for them to make sense. Still would love to see a more realistic native grass areas but I'm kindof nitpicking - the course is looking fantastic.

We currently have CourseForge 1.0 in beta testing with community regulars and so far the feedback is very positive with some great ideas on how to make CF easier to use. We're hoping to incorporate these ideas before a public release.

• Unique likes this

#99 Blackadar

Blackadar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

Thanks for the great advice Blackadar. I've reduced the severity of the drop-off behind the green and also adjusted the cartpath (which now actually makes more sense because it's more clear which is the next hole). This should make it more forgiving for those that over-shoot the green.

attachicon.gifCapture.PNGattachicon.gifCapture2.PNG

It was merely a suggestion and please know I'm not criticizing.  I do like the change.

I've designed courses for a long while now and have always tried to keep an eye out for the duffer as well as the pro player.  I've seen some neat courses designed that are far too severe for the average (or below-average) player where there are no bail-out areas, no safe places to put the ball on the green, no way to run the ball onto the green and so forth.  I never really liked those types of courses.  I think the real challenge is designing a course that's a proper challenge to all skill levels. 

#100 Blackadar

Blackadar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

I'd love to see some wilder stuff around the wood bridges through the grasses. IRL you wouldn't need those the way the grass currently is so wispy so look to beefing up the undergrowth there for them to make sense. Still would love to see a more realistic native grass areas but I'm kindof nitpicking - the course is looking fantastic.

We currently have CourseForge 1.0 in beta testing with community regulars and so far the feedback is very positive with some great ideas on how to make CF easier to use. We're hoping to incorporate these ideas before a public release.

I hate to ask this publicly, but I feel the need to do so given this information.

How were the "community regulars" chosen?  I was a KS backer, designed courses since JNSE, was one of the few posters on the old forums and I've been on these forums almost since Day One.  Just because I choose not to post that often doesn't mean I'm not a regular.  While I understand having a limited test group, I'm not fond of (if I understand your comment) somehow post count being a criteria for selection while some of us who have been waiting patiently and the longest are passed by simply because we choose not to post as often.

If you prefer, delete this post and we can take the discussion off-line.  I don't want to derail Brian's good work and I'm going to respectfully ask that no one quote this post so the discussion can be moved off-line without cluttering up this thread.

• Mick-S, Ron Piskorik, Tigers Agent and 2 others like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users