• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#201 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:59 PM

Stay on topic please. This is not a thread about venting your personal rants against everything PG not anything else for that matter. It's a CF thread- please keep it that way.

#202 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:03 PM

I'm sorry to say it Mike but the forum has become a very unpleasant and toxic place to visit. People that I believed had been banned turn up again like bad pennies.
  • RobV likes this
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#203 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:58 PM

I believe that the vast majority of posters enjoy the game and respect the other players and forum users. There are always a few 'bad pennies' as you say but these are being dealt with as their agenda is very different than simply discussing PerfectGolf.

#204 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:55 PM

Maybe we should all kick in some money and have someone who knows what they are doing make some trees for us that we can use and share with everyone and give the "trees" to the PP people as long as they will always be free to share and included with Course Forgy etc. 

I mean it seems we are assuming speed tree is the only entity on the planet that can provide trees for Perfect Golf and that no one else on the planet can make trees for Perfect Golf maybe we just pay someone else a one time fee to make some cool trees. 20/month times how many members using Course Forge could add up to some serious change that someone may want to receive as payment a one time fee to make some trees. 

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#205 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 11:15 PM

I think I'm more confused now regarding speed tree that ever, in that in all the courses that have been created, have all the dozens of different trees I've seen all been purchased from/created in speed tree? and if not are those trees are not then poolable into an asset package that just be a free download as part of the cf files.

If speed tree dont allow this then surely as you say they could be created in a 3d software, ie blender 3dsmax etc and again all packaged up.

I will add I've built a course in unity, albeit a very basic one, but have just used assets download from various sites including the unity store, all for free, so unless none of these were created in speed tree I would think that having a download asset package would be better than having users required to start making trees in a different parties software in order to even make a course.

I'm sure things will all become clearer when cf launches, and if none of the above is possible I see why this St tie up is so important, but it would be a bit disheartening for many new cf users if before they can make a course they also have to learn how to use speed tree too?

I have faith in PP and sure it's all in hand, and also amazed at how good s job the current crop of designers have done working with what sounds like quite a technical and complicated piece of software

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#206 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:51 AM

One way APCD was nice was the amazing collection of trees, bushes, and objects we had, but those were all 2D. I hope we can eventually have the same kind of shared library for this game.... I know I would certainly be happy to contribute if I knew how, but 3D is a whole other animal.

I think I've done okay with what I have, but I admit that there are times I feel limited by the lack of certain plants and trees....  there's a few projects I have which aren't really progressing at this time because I don't have appropriate vegetation. Royal Melbourne is one, and a desert course I did months ago is also in a similar kind of limbo.

I don't know what the SpeedTree coupons give us exactly... maybe that's something I can ask Andrew about on the next twitch episode. My hope is that there's some things that are readily available to use, and also some things that we can modify without too much effort. Where it gets hard for me is if I had to build things from scratch; I've never been great at that. SpeedTree looks like an intimidating program to use, but I also used to think that way about Unity at one point.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#207 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:54 AM

Royal Melbourne is one

Wish you luck there.  I could only find one appropriate tree (a gum) on Speedtree's site.

#208 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:56 AM

Yeah, the gum trees are really tough. The asset store has some great looking ones but they are really expensive.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#209 Mulligan

Mulligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • LocationVirtual Private Network

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:44 PM

Whoever fixed the title, thanks!

Mild OCD can be horrible sometimes!

#210 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:00 PM

Whoever fixed the title, thanks!

Mild OCD can be horrible sometimes!

I think I just heard angels singing!!  I can stop twitching every time I see this thread topic now.

• Mulligan likes this

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#211 Legerejeff

Legerejeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:02 PM

Any word or are we still in course forge limbo? Also is there a chance we will never see this product?
  • Stephen Sullivan likes this

#212 Jperkules

Jperkules

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, U.S

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:55 AM

Im dying to start on my courses as well as bethpage state park- red course. I posted earlier its like christmas which never comes. Ill say that having a lot of people clamoring for this course tool and showing impatience at times is a whole lot better than apathy and indifference

#213 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:48 PM

Maybe I should take a break from the game.  Just like real golf courses when you get frustrated with the state of them, sometimes it's better to walk away, then when you come back good things have happened in the interim.

I've had lots of fun with the courses supplied by PP and users, but checking back daily to find the state of CF and the game generally as uncertain isn't fun.

• Stephen Sullivan, Griz891 and worrybirdie like this

#214 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:58 PM

I think someone asked about Gaia but don't recall seeing a definitive answer.

Will a terrain sculpted in Gaia be easily useable in CF.

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#215 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:08 PM

Gaia just creates standard Unity terrains with no special shaders or scripts added, so I don't see any reason that it would not work with CF.

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#216 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:26 PM

I was curious so I tried it.  I created the terrain first so I could set all of the dimensions and resolution settings to my liking, then used Gaia to make the landforms.  Laid out a few holes and played them.  Everything works fine so far.  Ball holes out fine, meshes act appropriately, etc...  

One thing to be aware of:  The Gaia stamps will sometimes move your terrain away from 0,0,0 when selecting "fit to terrain",  so you have to move it back.  Otherwise I didn't have to do anything differently.  

I'll probably build a few more test holes just to make sure nothing weird starts happening.  

#217 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:53 PM

I was curious so I tried it.  I created the terrain first so I could set all of the dimensions and resolution settings to my liking, then used Gaia to make the landforms.  Laid out a few holes and played them.  Everything works fine so far.  Ball holes out fine, meshes act appropriately, etc...  

One thing to be aware of:  The Gaia stamps will sometimes move your terrain away from 0,0,0 when selecting "fit to terrain",  so you have to move it back.  Otherwise I didn't have to do anything differently.  

I'll probably build a few more test holes just to make sure nothing weird starts happening.  

Thanks.

PC specs...

Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#218 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:54 PM

What is the best Unity plot dimensions to use.

PC specs...

Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#219 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:45 PM

What is the best Unity plot dimensions to use.

Most courses fit nicely onto a 2000x2000 terrain which will use a 2048 heightmap.

#220 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:23 PM

This thread was started June 07, 2016. It is now September 01, 2016. Just sayin'.  :rolleyes:

• J.H.Buchanan likes this

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users