chrismess13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationButte County, CA

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:36 AM

From Mike Jones on Steam:

I suspect the ones doing most of the complaining about CF will be the ones least likely to use it when it finally does go into public beta.  The ones who really want to use it have been posting on our site and have shown their willingness to familiarize themselves with Unity as CF is a unity plug in. This has invariably lead to them becoming part of the current beta program.

The only reason I bought this game WAS to design courses. Its all I did with TW06-08, APCD, world golf challenge, and even that sid mier golf game for a second. I may have only ever officially released three courses but with my 2 or 3 free hours a few nights a week I open up APCD and design away. So if my 10 to 15 hours a week puts me in the least likely to use it category... 

And I did familiarize myself with unity a few years ago and CF never came so I went back to my other options and then I familiarized myself with unity again last Christmas when CF was being released "SOON" and yet again soon never came. Guess that's on me for not posting

So forgive me if the quote from Mr. Jones is taken out of context but I find it a bit off putting and as a result I will excuse myself from my daily ritual (a bad habit at this point as it been nearly three years) of checking to see if today is the day CF is released and keep going with APCD and TWCA.

#82 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:49 AM

The only reason I bought this game WAS to design courses. Its all I did with TW06-08, APCD, world golf challenge, and even that sid mier golf game for a second. I may have only ever officially released three courses but with my 2 or 3 free hours a few nights a week I open up APCD and design away. So if my 10 to 15 hours a week puts me in the least likely to use it category... 

And I did familiarize myself with unity a few years ago and CF never came so I went back to my other options and then I familiarized myself with unity again last Christmas when CF was being released "SOON" and yet again soon never came. Guess that's on me for not posting

So forgive me if the quote from Mr. Jones is taken out of context but I find it a bit off putting and as a result I will excuse myself from my daily ritual (a bad habit at this point as it been nearly three years) of checking to see if today is the day CF is released and keep going with APCD and TWCA.

I hear you, chrismess13. I did the exact same thing with Unity, thinking I was preparing myself for the imminent release of CF.  I think I went through three cycles of becoming familiar with Unity, anticipating CF.  I even followed Joe Habiger's video tutorials and imported elevation data from online sources.  Not sure I remember much of anything now, after all this time.  As for Mike's comment, I was disappointed to read it.  He seems so far off the mark.  I cannot help but think the developers have lost touch with the user base.  :(

#83 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:37 AM

Never know, I might actually want to play this game again someday.

I doubt it. Most of the whiners are playing other games.

• Crow357 and Griz891 like this

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#84 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:50 AM

Did you guys 'show off' your work/progression in K11's Show and Tell thread?  (Sorry, I haven't paid a lot of attention to who is posting in that thread - other than K11, who makes good/entertaining posts most of the time!)  I think several people that have been invited started with that approach - show off your talents and be rewarded with an invite. 

I don't know, since I am not a designer and only watch in awe at what is produced.  I keep saying one day I might give it a go, but that day won't be until CF is released at the earliest!

#85 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:55 AM

I know Unity is clumsy the first few times you use it, but it really is the best way..... make something, anything resembling a golf course and post some work there. Course Forge really requires some knowledge of Unity.

I am going to do my best to make a video or two that hopefully will make it really simple to start.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#86 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:00 AM

"LIGHT THE CANDLE!"  ("Gordo" Cooper, May 15, 1963).

#87 dpeters95

dpeters95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:03 AM

I am going to do my best to make a video or two that hopefully will make it really simple to start.

Matt, I'm sure many of us would really appreciate a start up video specifically oriented towards CF & Unity! I have watched several Unity videos on YouTube but, of course, they are not tailored for use in CF...

#88 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:09 AM

I wonder if Mike would consider adding more beta users... if CF is still a way off, perhaps that is one way some of the people who have been waiting a long time could finally get involved.

I know Unity is clumsy the first few times you use it, but it really is the best way..... make something, anything resembling a golf course and post some work there. That's how I got in and how others did too.

Course Forge is almost useless without some knowledge of Unity. I wasn't terribly crazy about this reality when I started either, but I accepted it and eventually embraced it.

Great idea Matthew.

From what I know, the folks at SpeedTree are holding this up.  Once the coupons are ready, it's a go.  That's why they keep saying "soon".

If they release without the coupons, we'll see a bunch of people bitching...lol

#89 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 22 July 2016 - 04:16 AM

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#90 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:04 AM

Perhaps you have forgotten that you were invited to the CF beta and declined....

As I unfortunately don't have the time to sit and learn Unity on the off-chance Course Forge might be released.

Working full-time doesn't leave a lot of free time for other stuff. At 53 I feel it's important to go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week to keep myself, if not thin, at least fairly fit. I also run a Links tour at LSPN, which I enjoy doing and playing.

Then there are the things you have to do to keep your better half happy, such as cooking and taking them shopping  :rolleyes:

So forgive me for not dedicating time to something that hasn't happened yet  :(

Posted Image

#91 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:06 AM

It seems to be a real weakness  :(..and yet again lack of communication doesn't help. I know they are busy with other things, but a few minutes to say something would help.

Posted Image

#92 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:32 AM

As I unfortunately don't have the time to sit and learn Unity on the off-chance Course Forge might be released.

Working full-time doesn't leave a lot of free time for other stuff. At 53 I feel it's important to go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week to keep myself, if not thin, at least fairly fit. I also run a Links tour at LSPN, which I enjoy doing and playing.

Then there are the things you have to do to keep your better half happy, such as cooking and taking them shopping  :rolleyes:

So forgive me for not dedicating time to something that hasn't happened yet  :(

So you're complaining about not having access to CF but when you did get offered access to the CF beta you were too busy with other things to take up the offer? 

#93 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:16 AM

The ones who really want to use it have been posting on our site and have shown their willingness to familiarize themselves with Unity as CF is a unity plug in. This has invariably lead to them becoming part of the current beta program.

Oh goodie. I installed Unity5 and created something decent. Then I went out and found information on height maps. Created one in Photoshop, imported it into Unity and modified it quite a bit and all using my own textures.

Hoping I'm nearer to CF than I thought.

• Stephen Sullivan likes this

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#94 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:27 AM

So you're complaining about not having access to CF but when you did get offered access to the CF beta you were too busy with other things to take up the offer? 

No. I am saying I don't want to take time from other stuff to learn Unity, unless there is the likelihood of an imminent release of Course Forge.

Like I did with APCD, I want to be able to go through the process all at once as that's how I am able to retain information. At my "advanced" age there is only so much room in my brain. A lot of this space .is taken up at the moment by various work related projects I am involved in regarding local history ( worked in libraries for 34 )

Posted Image

#95 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:24 AM

From Steam via Blackadar regarding CF:

For those who want to know the status of this product. I spoke with Andrew this morning and he told me that Course Forge is ready for public beta except that they are still trying to finalise a licensing deal for vegetation. Once this deal is completed it will be released. So that's the latest. Hope this helps everyone. It's not a definite time or date but Andrew & Co. are still plugging along.

#96 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:26 AM

I thought negotiations were finalized eight weeks ago (per Andrew on Twitch). So, is this a step backwards?

#97 theclubpro

theclubpro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:35 AM

Maybe they trying to get a better deal.

#98 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:50 AM

I thought negotiations were finalized eight weeks ago (per Andrew on Twitch). So, is this a step backwards?

He said deal was finalized.  Problem is coupons never arrived....

#99 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:52 AM

So, Speedtree reneged on the deal, or what?  Why is this so complicated?

• ArcadeHack likes this

#100 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:57 AM

So, Speedtree reneged on the deal, or what?  Why is this so complicated?

No idea.  Maybe they're on vacation?  lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users