151 replies to this topic

#41 Rackme32

Rackme32

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:38 AM

That Turf Effects thing looks awesome indeed.

Great to see that Course Forge is a major step closer to reality, too!

I'd better go finish my 3-click tourney rounds before I can plug 'em in the bunker :)

Went to Digital Storm and ordered me up a nice gaming machine :)

Intel i3 chip at 3.9G

16 gig DDR4 RAM

GeForce 970 GTX 4gig vid card

240G SSD

1TB HD

Windows 10

It's HERE!!  JNPG runs great with all the bells and whistles at max or close to it...  I still turn 3D render off for the swing, tho.

#42 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:45 AM

That grass effect looks useful- I just wonder what hit on frame rates it will have 

Intel 9900k @5GHZ

Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390

Noctua NH-D15 Cromax 

Fractal Design Meshify S2

WDC WD10EFRX 1TB NVME drive

2x 14TB Hitachi NAS HDD

Colour scheme by Nigel Tufnell- "None more black"

#43 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:22 AM

Nice to read Andrew. Thanks for this post. Love the soundscript addition. Should make playing a lot more fun. :)  Plugged lies in bunkers are also a very good touch. :( :angry: :D  Looking forward to playing the Rio Olympic Course! :P I watched both comp's (men/women) and the course looked to have some great holes. The shot clock option is also a good idea! Adds a touch of realism and focus to ones game. Hope that new Ani's are on the horizon?..  :rolleyes:  Keep up the great work!

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#44 SirGrassCutter

SirGrassCutter

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationIn the heavy rough

Posted 24 September 2016 - 11:39 AM

yes but its 60 seconds per shot should be 30 seconds

I agree and that was what I would be going for next.  But at least 60 seconds is a start. 

• Perculator likes this

#45 Parkle

Parkle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationLondon, England.

Posted 24 September 2016 - 01:15 PM

Interesting update Andrew but just one question.

Can you give us any idea of a timescale for the introduction of some alternative animations, including lefties and female animations ?

They are sorely needed in this game as Hacker Harry is frankly depressing and well past  his sell-by date !  

• Perculator, mebby, maxie and 2 others like this

#46 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 September 2016 - 01:58 PM

We did a test project with 10,000 blades of grass and it had no impact on Frame Rate.

On the subject of animations, this is an expensive item and so we will be doing these as priority 1 as soon as we are able to.  Beyond that I cannot provide a timeframe.

• Fairwayman, Greensboronclion and Charles like this

#47 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:50 PM

Nice one guys. Glad to see the DX11 build decision to incorporate better features.

iRacing have made a similar decision where they will be phasing out DX9 support as it is holding the sim back and making DX11 the minimum.

#48 Mailman

Mailman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • LocationCounty Durham, UK

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:58 PM

We did a test project with 10,000 blades of grass and it had no impact on Frame Rate.

Sure would be good to see screenshots before and after to give us an idea of what turf effects look like within PG.

Intel i5 4690K (OC to 4.4GHz), Arctic i32 CPU cooler, 16GB DDR3 RAM @2400MHz, Nvidia Inno 3D iChill 1060 (6GB)

#49 footslogger

footslogger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationThailand

Posted 24 September 2016 - 04:00 PM

I hope the soundscript editor inspires someone to provide tournament-style commentary scripts such as tks(?) provided at Links.  They added a lot of atmosphere to the game.

• Charles likes this

#50 gravedodger

gravedodger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationThe northy part of Ireland

Posted 24 September 2016 - 04:21 PM

I hope the soundscript editor inspires someone to provide tournament-style commentary scripts such as tks(?) provided at Links.  They added a lot of atmosphere to the game.

^^^^^ this, so much  B)

#51 Bob5453

Bob5453

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationNear Dayton, Ohio

Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:13 PM

I still have the 3 Stooges soundscript somewhere. I loved it!   :D

46sby3-5.png

#52 FixAmer1st

FixAmer1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationSun City Center, FL

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:18 PM

I still have the 3 Stooges soundscript somewhere. I loved it!   :D

I have all of the Links sound scripts.  Once the sound script is working here I will make them available, somehow,  to anybody that needs/wants them.

• Ron Piskorik, Drgnslyr221 and mebby like this

Links Golf
CPU_Match_Play_Tour.jpg
CPU_Director_2013.jpg
Administrator of KISS Tours

Dell XPS Desktop
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 @ 4.0 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Memory
Win7 64 bit Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB
1TB SATA HardDrive

#53 Drrobmiller

Drrobmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLong island

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:54 PM

My God,..those Nvidia grass effects are incredible,..probably the final piece to making incredible(I sound like trump) courses.

WOW

Rob

• Greensboronclion and mebby like this

#54 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:57 PM

My God,..those Nvidia grass effects are incredible,..probably the final piece to making incredible(I sound like trump) courses.

WOW

Rob

I think it's great that JNPG will be on the cutting edge with this.  I think once the updated animations are in (although it's sounding like this is on the way back burner) we'll have a current looking game at a minimum, and in many way, a leading edge looking game.  But having the Nvidia Turf without better animations is kinda like waxing a beautiful car to a shine but leaving the wheels are dirty.

• maxie likes this

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#55 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:05 PM

Think its a good move personally. Golf simulator season is upon us, guys coming in from the summer looking for the most realistics sim option where avatars make no difference = $250 annual fees to be snapped up, for a minimal cost to the developer, as opposed to $30 lifetime fees for a huge cost to the developer.

Again only a personal view, but the focus in my opinion right now (for the next 4 weeks or so) should be physics and fixes to the core realism of the game to try and get these guys on board. With Skytraks now in the financial reach of many more golfers, the market is growing in this area, and now is the key time of year to take advantage.

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#56 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:37 PM

Think its a good move personally. Golf simulator season is upon us, guys coming in from the summer looking for the most realistics sim option where avatars make no difference = $250 annual fees to be snapped up, for a minimal cost to the developer, as opposed to $30 lifetime fees for a huge cost to the developer.

Again only a personal view, but the focus in my opinion right now (for the next 4 weeks or so) should be physics and fixes to the core realism of the game to try and get these guys on board. With Skytraks now in the financial reach of many more golfers, the market is growing in this area, and now is the key time of year to take advantage.

I think we're actually pretty darn close on the physics.  Sure, there are a few things that could potentially use tweaks but I think what they've done is found the balance between perfectly accurate physics and a video game.  I would love to be able to play with the physics personally but I'm guessing some of the things that we all know aren't perfectly realistic are very intentional.  I could be wrong.

I'm quite pleased with the game. Time for the eye candy (and CF)!

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#57 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:03 PM

There are still some questions that keep cropping up physics wise in terms of the firmness settings, bounce physics, the way the ball reacts around greens when chipping and pitching, and also wind. 

Whilst maybe not so prevalent using a mouse/controller, when using a launch monitor when you have full shot data you can compare to real life results the difference become more apparent. Happily Andrew is looking into it, and hopefully we'll see some progress.

Dont get me wrong, the sim side is very very happy with the software,  we're comparing it to software that costs $1000s of dollars, but equally when people are handing over $250 annually on top of the minor purchase price they are quick to scrutinise where things dont happen as they should

Fully agree though, "course" eye candy, and CF are without out a doubt essential, and think the 3D grass and CF are the exact right steps that need to be the absolute priority in those areas.

• mebby likes this

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#58 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:37 PM

There are still some questions that keep cropping up physics wise in terms of the firmness settings, bounce physics, the way the ball reacts around greens when chipping and pitching, and also wind.

Whilst maybe not so prevalent using a mouse/controller, when using a launch monitor when you have full shot data you can compare to real life results the difference become more apparent. Happily Andrew is looking into it, and hopefully we'll see some progress.

Dont get me wrong, the sim side is very very happy with the software, we're comparing it to software that costs $1000s of dollars, but equally when people are handing over $250 annually on top of the minor purchase price they are quick to scrutinise where things dont happen as they should

Fully agree though, "course" eye candy, and CF are without out a doubt essential, and think the 3D grass and CF are the exact right steps that need to be the absolute priority in those areas.

10-4. Makes perfect sense.

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#59 Stoney

Stoney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 08:53 AM

Are we still getting this update this weekend?

#60 Hammerfest

Hammerfest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 September 2016 - 09:28 AM

@Stoney:  you didn´t learn that famous single word, very popular here?    S  o  o  n        :D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users