Photo

Are you a prospective console version buyer?

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you a prospective console version buyer? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

If you're holding out for or planning to buy a console version of JNPG, for which console will it be?

1. XBox One / XBox One Scorpio (16 votes [42.11%])

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

2. Playstation 4 / Playstation 4 Pro (9 votes [23.68%])

Percentage of vote: 23.68%

3. NVIDIA SHIELD (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. I own one of the above but wouldn't buy JNPG to play on it (13 votes [34.21%])

Percentage of vote: 34.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 12 November 2016 - 01:51 AM

Those of you who are planning to buy any of the console versions; who is planning to play the game using the 3-click interface, via the respective console's handheld controller? 

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#62 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 01:57 AM

I'd have less of a problem buying refurbished one as opposed to a new on in this case.  You might want to read this thread at Inside Sim Racing's forum to shed a little light on it:

http://www.isrtv.com...rari-gte-wheel/

Thanks.  I think I will go with refurbished TX and save some money.

#63 rustymike

rustymike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:38 AM

If the game becomes available for Xbox, I'll use the swing method as opposed to clicking even though that's my preferred method on my laptop on the couch. :-)

#64 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:01 PM

If the game becomes available for Xbox, I'll use the swing method as opposed to clicking even though that's my preferred method on my laptop on the couch. :-)

I don't have a laptop that could come close to running this game, but I understand your choice here.  I think the XBox One, and later, the PS4 versions will lend themselves to thumbstick control so much better because the developers will only have to worry about one hardware configuration and one controller.  It should result in a more finely honed analog swing interface.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#65 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:02 PM

Thanks.  I think I will go with refurbished TX and save some money.

Please report back with your experience with it once you've given it a ride!  I think you're making a good choice...

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#66 yesrushdt

yesrushdt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:19 PM

So no love yet for the NVIDIA SHIELD version?  I haven't followed the SHIELD at all; has it lost its momentum?  Did it ever really have anything going for it?  My local Best Buy sells them, but doesn't have a demo unit.

Judging by what Andrew mentioned during a Twitch broadcast (first one I believe), JNPG on the Nvidia Shield would be a definite downgrade graphically compared to what you can get on the PC.

#67 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:52 PM

Judging by what Andrew mentioned during a Twitch broadcast (first one I believe), JNPG on the Nvidia Shield would be a definite downgrade graphically compared to what you can get on the PC.

Yeah, I'm sure it would be a step down graphically in appearance and performance, at least in comparison to the PCs on which most of us here are playing the game.  The only advantage I could see for it would be its portability, but I have to wonder how many people who play this game are interested in portability?  There may be an untapped market out there for a lower resolution, more portable platform on which to play JNPG.  The way I understand it, NVIDIA is handling the development of JNPG platform so it's going to be hard to track what's going on with it.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#68 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:55 PM

I'm a bit surprised that there have only been 26 people vote on this in four days.  I wondering if it reflects apathy about the consoles, the game itself, or just a general level of ambivalence.  I anticipated a possible backlash against consoles and I'm sensing that to a small degree, but even that is under the level I thought it would be.

I still think there's a paradigm changing moment for JNPG over the horizon, but I'm hard pressed to decide what it will be:  Career mode, new customizable mo-capped golfer, 3-D rough textures, SpeedTree instancing?  The more I analyze this, the more I realize it's likely going to take all of the above to make JNPG a success on the consoles.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#69 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:13 PM

The biggest drawbacks to a console version for me would be:

No CourseForge
No community created courses.

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken about either of these.

#70 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:25 PM

The biggest drawbacks to a console version for me would be:

No CourseForge
No community created courses.

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken about either of these.

The lack of a Course Forge for the consoles is a given, but I seem to recall there being some chat in one of the developer live streams, whereby select community created courses could be made available through Perfect Parallel.  I'm not sure what the certification or licensing process would be like for that, but it sounded like it was doable from what I recall.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#71 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:48 PM

The lack of a Course Forge for the consoles is a given, but I seem to recall there being some chat in one of the developer live streams, whereby select community created courses could be made available through Perfect Parallel.  I'm not sure what the certification or licensing process would be like for that, but it sounded like it was doable from what I recall.

I'm would be very happy to do my designing on the PC and have a PS4 version for casual and online play.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#72 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:17 PM

I'm would be very happy to do my designing on the PC and have a PS4 version for casual and online play.

There will be times when I'll want to play JNPG on my XBox One or PS4, particularly when I'm playing with friends who only have the game on the given console.  The way I understand it though, XBox One players will be able to play head-to-head with PC version players via Windows Live.  There are times when my rec room is off limits to me and I don't have access to my gaming PC. That would be a time when I'd want to play JNPG on my XBox One from the living room, provided it can deliver the JNPG experience at 1080p and a satisfactory level of graphical detail at a playable( >40 FPS) frame rate.

The XBox One version could potential more than double the player base in terms of competitive options for the current Windows 10 PC users.   I find that an attractive outcome, although it will no doubt raise some issues of 3-click and RTS-M players not wanting to play against controller players on another platform.  In the end, it will reach an equilibrium where the player base is considerable larger than it is now for those playing the PC version.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#73 SirGrassCutter

SirGrassCutter

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationIn the heavy rough

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:27 PM

" although it will no doubt raise some issues of 3-click and RTS-M players not wanting to play against controller players on another platform."

Why?  I will play anyone.

#74 samterrence

samterrence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:50 PM

definitely would buy the Xbox one version, Have been playing the Fifa 17 football or (SOCCER) game lately and just marvel at the graphics and gameplay, I presume Madden would be just as good but sorry to say I just don't understand American football.

If these games are anything to go by Perfect golf should look fantastic on the Xbox plus more controller players is a win win for me

#75 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:54 AM

" although it will no doubt raise some issues of 3-click and RTS-M players not wanting to play against controller players on another platform."

Why?  I will play anyone.

I put the "some" qualifier in there to account for players like you.  As a controller player, I have no problem playing against 3-click players.  I just know there are some in each camp who prefer to only play against 3-clickers or controller players.

• SirGrassCutter likes this

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#76 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:03 PM

definitely would buy the Xbox one version, Have been playing the Fifa 17 football or (SOCCER) game lately and just marvel at the graphics and gameplay, I presume Madden would be just as good but sorry to say I just don't understand American football.

If these games are anything to go by Perfect golf should look fantastic on the Xbox plus more controller players is a win win for me

Madden is almost as exceptional on the XBox One as FIFA 17, IMO.  If they were the barometers by which to gauge how well JNPG could play and look on the XBox One, I wouldn't have any doubts about its chances for success.  I do know that the XBox One version of The Golf Club is easily outpaced in both graphics and performance by the PS4 version.  It's woefully lacking in comparison to the way the PC version looks and performs on my slightly better than average gaming PC.  There's been a number of advances in DirectX 12 and Windows 10 for the XBox One since then, and I'm sure they will come closer to bridging the gap

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#77 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:08 PM

Jcat,

http://www.perfectpa...ws-10/?p=116695

#78 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:38 PM

Cool... responded to your post in that thread.  Sounds like you scored a major deal!

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#79 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:35 PM

Over the years, I have spent a TON of money on anywhere from 6-10 full builds (can't remember) and upgrades that I care to think about. (could've probably have bought a nice boat!)   Other than the Sega 16 bit console, I have never been a fan of console gaming, but I have to admit.. what a beautiful piece of hardware the Xbox One is.  I am sure the PS4 is just as nice.  Even though I built him a PC and for his birthday, I bought my son a Xbox one simply because "his friends had one" and wanted to play online with them.   So out of curiosity, I gave it a go to see what all the hype was about... looked great, played great, but I could just not get used to that controller.  It drove me nuts, especially for playing FPS games.  I have been a fan of two genres.. FPS and golf games.. that's pretty much it. 

Using a neat little device called the XIM4 and hooked up to the Xbox to allow me to use keyboard and mouse, I don't think I will ever upgrade or build another computer ever again.  BF1 looks and plays incredible!   To think of the amount of money I would have to spend just to even get it look like it does on the Xbox, it just makes no sense to do so..  I can understand there are people out there that are loyal PC enthusiasts and I thought I was one too, but economically, it just does not make sense to upgrade my PC when all I need is in one neat little machine that does the job even with the most current and future games.    

#80 samterrence

samterrence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:03 PM

yes Rob I am in the same boat, if I could afford a boat after squandering all my cash on endless updates and new builds for the PC, for the same price as a top end graphics card you can buy a console, that's it nothing else to spend.

never heard of the BF1 accessory before, so I checked it out you can also use it for connecting all types of control devices including keyboard and mouse, that's great news for all the 3clickers, motion swingers and controller players alike.

can't wait for PG on the Xbox

update:

just read that Microsoft will be adding keyboard and mouse support to the Xbox one console in the near future, so no need to buy any adaptors

• RobV likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users