165 replies to this topic

#41 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:21 AM

As others (including myself) have stated previously, a stick calibration routine might help even out the sensitivities of the various gamepad controllers for JNPG. Most of the older flight sims had stick calibration routines included in the games and they worked quite well.

-MERACE

#42 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:25 AM

I really hope PP finds a way/the time to optimize for a few more mainstream controllers or perhaps at least pivots to say that "PG is meant to be played with an XB1/XB360 controller only"

...and then we could go further and say that OGT and other competitive atmospheres require the use of those.  

It definitely feels like the game is intended to be played with XBOX controllers only.  

This is pretty tricky as Steam itself is endorsing the use of official Sony DS4 controllers at this point in time.

Too bad we can't have USGA approved controllers that come with the game. The only other thing that could possibly level the playing field completely would be to have a calibration routine within the game that regardless of controller sensitivities, the actual swing experience of each user is the same regardless of controller. I am not sure this is even possible and if so, how could we be assured someone has not figured out a way to circumvent such calibration. Old flight sims used to have calibration routines in their simulations. Gotta tell you though....hitting straight with an Xbox Elite controller is a true challenge and takes great focus and skill. Too bad we have to even have discussions like this.

Lastly, we are just playing for bragging rights (OGT and PGLS) on an internet leaderboard. If we were ever to play for something tangible such as money or prizes, then this would be a different situation altogether.

PC

Xbox One X

Steam ID: DivotMaker

#43 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:29 AM

Lastly, we are just playing for bragging rights (OGT and PGLS) on an internet leaderboard.

The thing is Tim, maybe won't "play at all" online at a place like OGT if it's so totally skewed.

Hanging my hopes on handicaps

#44 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:33 AM

The thing is Tim, maybe won't "play at all" online at a place like OGT if it's so totally skewed.

Hanging my hopes on handicaps

I've been competing for over 20 years in Golf games and you just have to play the course and play against yourself if you want a rewarding experience. I stopped worrying about this stuff years ago and just play the best I can and let the chips fall where they may.....

• Greensboronclion likes this
PC

Xbox One X

#45 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:04 AM

I've been competing for over 20 years in Golf games and you just have to play the course and play against yourself if you want a rewarding experience. I stopped worrying about this stuff years ago and just play the best I can and let the chips fall where they may.....

Well..

Let's just go ahead and nip in the bud any conversations down the line of "why can't I find a game in the lobby" and "why are OGT numbers falling" though.

By the way I'm in no way talking about you.  

It seems like if our conclusion is "competitive balance can never be addressed any better than it was 2 decades ago", we should likely just Insta-lock any threads that even bother to discuss it.

#46 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:10 AM

Is that it?

You couldn't possibly call it sim golf.

#47 ArcadeHack

ArcadeHack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:30 AM

You couldn't possibly call it sim golf.

I don't call it sim golf. The users who swing actual clubs hitting a real golf ball is what I would call sim. Training your thumb or hand to either swing a stick on a controller or swiping a mouse isn't remotely close to sim.

I watched the AI last night hit a 3 wood 219 yards out of the bunker. That to me is bordering on arcade. Or, coming up short of the green and my ball decides to backspin for 30 yards on the fairway.

#48 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:39 AM

Yes, that's true. I just came back to change that to "Realistic" as in "The most realistic golf game ever".

#49 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:51 AM

[quote name="DoGgz" post="124734" timestamp="1483058452"]I got to try the stock PS4 controller today (my step daughter's xmas pressie) very disappointing pad, was hitting straight down the middle from the first tee, no surprise to see the courtesy message after 18 holes.  What was weird was that a few chip shots were shooting off to the right, almost as if it was a deterrent, off tee and iron shots were easily achieved (tour pro)  Add to this...
Giotech's
steam controller
logitechs
speedlinks
All bring up the courtesy message, after straight shooting rounds[/quote

Dogz you must have a bad DS4 or I truly suck as I can't seem to do better than 60% off the tee at Pro level which is about the same as my Xbox360. My stats for the last OGT event at Illinois prove it also and are open for public view.

#50 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:53 AM

Oh and I have yet to get that courtesy message which is further proof that I realy suck.

#51 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:06 AM

One thing becomes clear: the 3-clickers benefitted the most from the update. They are crowded on top of the leaderboards...

That would be a first in nearly 20 years. It all went downhill at the toughest levels for 3clickers after  the introduction of " moving the mouse" to strike the ball. 

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#52 DivotMaker

DivotMaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:25 AM

Well..

Let's just go ahead and nip in the bud any conversations down the line of "why can't I find a game in the lobby" and "why are OGT numbers falling" though.

By the way I'm in no way talking about you.  

It seems like if our conclusion is "competitive balance can never be addressed any better than it was 2 decades ago", we should likely just Insta-lock any threads that even bother to discuss it.

No worries, I knew you were not referring to me. 'Tis a shame we can't get closer to a truly balanced competitive environment. With so many different swings, mice, controllers, etc, not sure there will ever be anything truly "balanced". I am thankful for the 3rd party sites like OGT and PGLS for keeping the interest in the game up. I am not sure what the answer is, but I would welcome one that made sense. As it stands, I will keep playing my two tournaments every week and hopefully catch a H2H online round from time to time.....and hopefully the game and community will continue to grow. Happens all the time to Golf communities, ebbs and flows, highs and lows in participation. Been watching it for over 25 years.....nothing has changed.

PC

Xbox One X

#53 Mailman

Mailman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • LocationCounty Durham, UK

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:25 AM

The only element of the RTS swing that is not synced to your mouse movement is the downswing and that has no effect on the outcome of the swing.  The backswing is on a 1-1 basis.  And yes, there was an explanation given when online muliplayer was introduced.  The only way to keep the game synced among multiple players in real-time was to send the shot data up to the point the ball was hit while pausing your ani. In this way all players, yourself included, would see the downswing at the same time.

I realise that but it is a pretty large element don't you think?   A pity that PG did not/could not sync the downswing as well as the backswing.

Intel i5 4690K (OC to 4.4GHz), Arctic i32 CPU cooler, 16GB DDR3 RAM @2400MHz, Nvidia Inno 3D iChill 1060 (6GB)

#54 gravedodger

gravedodger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationThe northy part of Ireland

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:33 AM

If what has been said here is true regards PP not being able to fully sync the mouse swing with avatar, I'm pretty sad about that, I must've missed any official previous statements / threads about that ... tis a shame, I was really looking forward to that :(

I was in a bit of limbo up to now and not fully committing to any other swing mode but I shall now stick with 3C as I did with for JN6 Golden Bear Challenge.

Just had a bit of a surreal moment, in a funny wee way, with Jack's involvement in this game, JNPG is sorta like a super duper modern version of JN6 with all the bells and whistles, which is very cool as far as I'm concerned because the only reason I stopped playing JN6 was lack of higher res wide screen support as the years progressed.

That thought has just lifted me this morning, I can get on and just play golf now  :) 

#55 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:19 AM

We can detect controllers and mice which are playing more forgiving than the norm, what various tours do with this information is up to them. Maybe they do nothing or maybe they introduce a handicap tour or maybe they handicap players who are playing with a controller that is detected as being forgiving. It's entirely up to them.

BTW I was playing competitive Quake way back in Quakeworld and the Q2 days and ran a clan that was ranked number 2 in the UK and we won several competitions.  I can't remember how many times I was accused of being a 'bot' but I just used to laugh because I knew I wasn't. Accusations of exploits where always in the news when teams or individuals did well so this interest in 'unfair advantages' has been around as long as the internet itself and my guess it will never be resolved due to hardware. software and human nature. The only real way of assuring a level playing field is to play via LAN with everyone using the same mice, controllers and computers but even then manufacturing tolerances will introduce variables in the sensitivity of the hadware.

In a conversation in the locker room at one of this year's Majors Jordan Spieth was overheard to say - "Man that Jason Day fellow must be using some kind of illegal driver or possible multiple bionic limbs as he hits it down the middle 30 yards past me every time. I'm gonna go on the PGA forum and demand an official enquiry as it's just not fair!"   :lol:

• DivotMaker, gravedodger, sideshowbob and 1 other like this

#56 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:52 AM

Well, we'll just have to wait and see what OGT does then.

#57 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:57 AM

In a conversation in the locker room at one of this year's Majors Jordan Spieth was overheard to say - "Man that Jason Day fellow must be using some kind of illegal driver or possible multiple bionic limbs as he hits it down the middle 30 yards past me every time. I'm gonna go on the PGA forum and demand an official enquiry as it's just not fair!"   :lol:

Did he ever say "Man, that guy gets far more backspin on his pitches than I do! I'll get those PP chaps to investigate" :o   ;) 
Joke!

• gravedodger likes this
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#58 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:05 PM

Here's why OGT hasnt done anything accept for implementing a handicap system on the controller tour:

In the current public build, the forgiving device detection is not working correctly.  We are seeing false data.  Players have been incorrectly getting the courtesy message.

There are near straight devices that dont get detected.      IMO, this is very much a work in progress.

Even when it starts working correctly, i dont think putting a forgiving handicap or label on players is the way to go.  You will just cause players to quit and leave the game.

• DivotMaker likes this

#59 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:07 PM

IMHO the handicap is the great equalizer of the problem and if you look at the current scoreboard it shows it.  People will use what they have and if they have a cheap pad and that is it so be it and just let everybody use what they got and be done with it as there really is no way to police it other than the HANDICAP.  IRL if you go to your local club they use handicaps so the lesser player can compete with the best and that is only fair if your trying to play and event and the same can be applied to video golf as it is not Real Golf it is a video game and nothing more.  The purpose of a video game is to entertain the customer and tell me this game doesn't entertain us all and whether your sitting on your couch or at your desk or using a mouse or a pad what does it matter if you are enjoying the game.  We are not playing for money or a living but to have fun and that is not going to change so just play the dang game and enjoy.  For me I just had another splendid 75 at the RTC event and my caddie and I are now elated so Happy New Years to all and just hit the ball and be happy.

• Parkle and zmax - sim like this

#60 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:38 PM

I realise that but it is a pretty large element don't you think?   A pity that PG did not/could not sync the downswing as well as the backswing.

It would be nice if it was there but to be honest I don't even notice the downswing.  It caught my eye at first but after a few rounds I stopped "seeing" that it wasn't synced to the downswing.  Probably because I keep my eye on the ball and the ani is in my peripheral vision.  I figure if I can learn how to do it in the game then there's hope I might actually do it on a golf course.   :D

• frank70 likes this

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users