197 replies to this topic

#41 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:16 AM

Disagree.  What Ted is suggesting is complete nonsense.  No TP player is gonna be happy about losing to an Amature player because the Amateur player shot a lower score.  Remember the discussions about the custom level?  lol

#42 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:37 AM

Disagree.  What Ted is suggesting is complete nonsense.  No TP player is gonna be happy about losing to an Amature player because the Amateur player shot a lower score.  Remember the discussions about the custom level?  lol

Maybe before calling it "complete nonsense" we can get a bit more discussion and elaboration from Ted here.

Being a bit more open minded here would be a nice gesture Z

I think this is all in the spirit of getting more and more prolonged OGT participation.

I'm not even 1 full tournament back into OGT and I'm honestly already starting to wane again, despite all of the great gameplay improvements in PG.

I'm just.....bored with it basically (the OGT angle).

Not sure why - Just not very compelling to me with the current features/operation/"something about it" honestly.

• remers and maxie like this

#43 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:16 AM

No TP player is gonna be happy about losing to an Amature player because the Amateur player shot a lower score. 

For someone who wants less division that's a curious statement Z.

But ah yes of course. I forgot about elitism. What has TP player's happiness got to do with it. What about the majority of other players?

And, ah, also, I forgot about conservatism.

Never mind Buck. I can find other things to do.

• remers likes this

#44 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:00 AM

Higher participation should be the goal, no question. There are way more player registered at OGT than are actually playing the events.

@Ted

there is absolutely nothing wrong to deliver ideas. In this case (divisions) i tend to agree with Zmax. Hackers against Amateurs and Pros and Tour Pros? I don't see why this would bring more players in the tournaments. I would say that quite a few Tour Pros and Pros would find it a bit unfair to play against Hackers Gross. And i think that even some Hackers don't get much satisfaction about beating someone who plays the game with way harder settings. Your idea would be the absolute opposite of a level playing field. I don't know if that would motivate more players to participate.

Divotmaker made a good point. We haven't enough players. Because of that OGT has to try to bring all together in one tour. No easy task. But for me the current system is the best. Tournaments for each difficulty level, no handicaps. If you want to win .... choose a level where you can compete. I see no gain for OGT when players persist to play on Tour Pro, shoot 79 on average and still want to be given the chance to win. For every guy who sees it like that we have probably another guy who doesn't like it (and might stop playing).

We have a Tour Pro field of around 25-30 guys. All swing methods allowed. Sure, i would like to see 150 playing (with a cut!!). Isn't the case. But the reason isn't that the "one tour" isn't a good idea (it is a great idea!!). The reason is, that the player base of JNPG simply is too small. OGT maybe should continue with the current concept and wait what a Windows 10/xbox release can do for growing the player base. Maybe we finally get enough players to play "one tour" and tours for the different swing devices with enough participation.

#45 DennisHarris

DennisHarris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • LocationSummerville SC

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:46 AM

OGT is first and foremost inclusive. 

Trying to manipulate OGT PGA Tour into the way you want it played and ignoring the 3 other main difficulty levels is selfish and total bull-crap.  

OGT has to look out for all player, not a head strong minority.  Bet not half of the 25 to 30 Tour Pro player agree with the ideas you folks are proposing.  So this whole discussion is total nonsense.  The OGT is currently working well and a handicap for everyone is more than likely the way to go.  All players would be equal under a handicap system within each division (difficulty).  That can't be a bad thing.

Digital Storm Ryzen 9 3900X/12 core  3.79MHZ/16 gig Ram /  Radeon R5700xt

#46 frank70

frank70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:15 AM

OGT is first and foremost inclusive. 

Trying to manipulate OGT PGA Tour into the way you want it played and ignoring the 3 other main difficulty levels is selfish and total bull-crap.  

OGT has to look out for all player, not a head strong minority.  Bet not half of the 25 to 30 Tour Pro player agree with the ideas you folks are proposing.  So this whole discussion is total nonsense.  The OGT is currently working well and a handicap for everyone is more than likely the way to go.  All players would be equal under a handicap system within each division (difficulty).  That can't be a bad thing.

No one is manipulating. Everybody has the right to formulate his opinion. OGT decided to form the PGA Tour in the way we have it now for a reason.

I always said, that the majority should decide (or of course OGT by themselves cause they host the site). But what does the majority think? Without a poll it is hard to say, wouldn't you agree?

As i understood it, even with a handicap system, the fields will still be divided into different difficulty levels. So it would be absolutely okay to make polls within these levels. If a majority of Tour Pro players (or Hacker, Amateur or Pro players) want handicaps ... then it is the right thing to do. Tour Pros shouldn't decide about Hacker field rules and vice versa - because they do not play in the same competition.

"All players would be equal under a handicap system" : I am not sure that a majority of players would agree with that goal. In the end a golf tournament is a competition. For me a competition is attractive when the best player wins. Maybe i am in the minority. Therefore it would be important to hear what other players think.

#47 Harald

Harald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationNuremberg, Germany

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:12 AM

In my oppinion there is one Fact all of us ignore. This Fact is that maybe many Players lost the interest in playing JNPG about the permanent Changes in Game Physics from PP Side in the last Year. Meanwhile honestly you got with every Update another Physics and so i know that from some People i spoke personal - they lost general the Interest in playing JNPG.

About this Reason OGT shouldn't make now not the failure to eliminate the last Group of Players who like to play Comps like OGT offered till yet. But i'm 100% sure with an Handicap System People are gone. Why? They only wanna play easy Golf.

I7-6700k, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, Palit GTX 1070 Super Jetstream 8GB,16 GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3200, Enermax Revolution87+ 850 W ATX 2.4, SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Eizo Color Graphic CS270 - 27", Win 10 Pro (64bit)

#48 DennisHarris

DennisHarris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • LocationSummerville SC

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:21 AM

No one is manipulating. Everybody has the right to formulate his opinion. OGT decided to form the PGA Tour in the way we have it now for a reason.

I always said, that the majority should decide (or of course OGT by themselves cause they host the site). But what does the majority think? Without a poll it is hard to say, wouldn't you agree?

As i understood it, even with a handicap system, the fields will still be divided into different difficulty levels. So it would be absolutely okay to make polls within these levels. If a majority of Tour Pro players (or Hacker, Amateur or Pro players) want handicaps ... then it is the right thing to do. Tour Pros shouldn't decide about Hacker field rules and vice versa - because they do not play in the same competition.

"All players would be equal under a handicap system" : I am not sure that a majority of players would agree with that goal. In the end a golf tournament is a competition. For me a competition is attractive when the best player wins. Maybe i am in the minority. Therefore it would be important to hear what other players think.

Whatever --- posting at PP forum is a lost cause anyway ---  A select few always drown out everyone else. 

• Tigers Agent likes this

Digital Storm Ryzen 9 3900X/12 core  3.79MHZ/16 gig Ram /  Radeon R5700xt

#49 Riddler

Riddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Nevada

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:45 AM

Never won a tour.  I always play Tour Pro.  I don't like handicaps and never have.  If I ever win, I want it to be because I shot the best 4 rounds and not that I had the highest handicap to win the four rounds.  Winning does not mean that much to me but trying to do my best, against other Tour Pro players, does.

• Harald, highfade, flyer01 and 4 others like this

#50 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

Not sure folks are losing interest since 1420.

I see more people in the lobby these days than pre 1420 release.

#51 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

Never won a tour.  I always play Tour Pro.  I don't like handicaps and never have.  If I ever win, I want it to be because I shot the best 4 rounds and not that I had the highest handicap to win the four rounds.  Winning does not mean that much to me but trying to do my best, against other Tour Pro players, does.

Totally agrees, if I want to play handicap golf, I play that every week at my local club.

• scoops100 likes this

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#52 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:24 PM

Not sure folks are losing interest since 1420.

I see more people in the lobby these days than pre 1420 release.

I see this as the case also; however, it seems now that a larger percentage of those who are in the lobby now are in private matches.  That's fine... I can usually still get a random match when desired, but I have to wait a bit longer.  I'm very curious to see how this changes with the Windows 10/XBox One version of the game.  I think it will triple, but I've heard projections of up to ten times the numbers we see on average currently. 

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#53 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:47 PM

I'm very curious to see how this changes with the Windows 10/XBox One version of the game.  I think it will triple, but I've heard projections of up to ten times the numbers we see on average currently. 

That's the key for the future...

Have to get as many people from multiple platforms all playing on the same system

#54 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:56 PM

Does anybody know the exact number of players in TGCTours? Two years ago, I estimated their numbers to be about 2000. Looking at their site today, I'm estimating the number to be between 600-700. Their main tour (Pro) has 189 players. OGT PGA tour has 205 active players.

#55 SJude

SJude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:05 PM

Any decision made by the OGT Admins. is going to be wrong in someone's eyes.  Believe me, they know this, I'm not asking everyone to like whatever decision is made on this very volatile subject.  I would ask that everyone continue to play and compete on the tours and have fun with the game the way you want to play it.  When the PGA took out the long putters, not every player was happy, I know of one that comes to mind right away, but I did notice that he was on tour the following year.  When an employer makes a decision the employees have to support it whether they agree with it or not.  The handicap issue will be debated forever, I get it, but if that's the direction that they end up taking, let's all just support the tours, play the game and have fun.

P.S.  Doesn't matter to me either way Zmax, you've got the numbers, you guys do what you got to do.

• DivotMaker, Ricky Proffer, Greensboronclion and 2 others like this

#56 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:02 PM

I don't get what the big deal is. You have a regular winner with no handicap and the winner with handicap so what is the Problem? The game keeps score and the scoreboard shows both net and gross so that's not a problem. You still have winners in all the levels so that's not a problem. Your still playing so that's not a problem. Just play the tour and the course and be happy.
  • mebby, Briso and StoneComet like this

#57 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:17 AM

I don't get what the big deal is. You have a regular winner with no handicap and the winner with handicap so what is the Problem? The game keeps score and the scoreboard shows both net and gross so that's not a problem. You still have winners in all the levels so that's not a problem. Your still playing so that's not a problem. Just play the tour and the course and be happy.

I'm with G on this one.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#58 Wirenut48

Wirenut48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:12 AM

The other thing that I see is if someone would rather play without Grid/BLI they could and be competitive with handicaps.

Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW, Corsair iCUE SP140 RGB ELITE Fans, Corsair RMx 850 W PS, MSI MPG Z590 GAMING CARBON WIFI, i9-11900K 3.5 GHz 8-Core, G.Skill Trident Z Royal 32 GB, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-NVME, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe, NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive

#59 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:18 AM

The other thing that I see is if someone would rather play without Grid/BLI they could and be competitive with handicaps.

Ah!  Very good point.  Never thought of it that way somehow!

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#60 Wirenut48

Wirenut48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:41 AM

Handicap system does offer a player the ability to play the way they want and not feel pointless. As example for me I have thrown my charts in the trash since this last update. Playing now just by visuals and feel and mental notes, for me it is much more relaxing and fun. But to be competitive you need your charts and calculator and way too much effort for my enjoyment. 

So I could see handicaps spark an interest for those that just enjoy playing the game to participate more in events.

• DivotMaker, Greensboronclion and StoneComet like this

Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW, Corsair iCUE SP140 RGB ELITE Fans, Corsair RMx 850 W PS, MSI MPG Z590 GAMING CARBON WIFI, i9-11900K 3.5 GHz 8-Core, G.Skill Trident Z Royal 32 GB, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-NVME, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe, NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users