#61 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

Mr Cobra,

The file sizes for the meshes are fairly small. My largest clubhouse model is Riviera and it is 106kb. The problem is the textures which can be much larger in the 12-20MB range. They do compress quite well when packaged through Unity though.

However, the limitation of a community Dropbox, for me, is the ability to actually see what you are downloading. It would be nice to scroll through screenshots of available models and selectively download the ones you want. There are obviously 3D sites and texture sites but nothing that condenses it for our needs here. So, a dropbox like site where you could control the "home page" so to speak for the provided file would be perfect. Merge Imgur and Dropbox for me and we might have it. Maybe this exists?

Even just a locked comment thread might work where each post contains a single photo and a link to the file to be shared. However, as sharing gets larger, that thread becomes cumbersome to navigate.

Once this is up and running it might be an idea for folks to simply bookmark the site URL then on this forum you only need one posting containing that URL. After that everyone looks after themselves.

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#62 RBarley

RBarley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationEastern Pennsylvania

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:26 PM

Mr Roberts,

I was reading about your thoughts on making houses available for download for everyone. I'm a soccer official and one of my old assigners had a google website set up. I believe you can get basic website for free and he used links for like spreadsheets and pdf. He told me it's not hard to set things up. So I would think you could use links to dropbox or any other storage site for the files. My brother n-law is a IT guy for QVC and I could ask him what's involved. I know he has his own server in his house and also and also runs a FTP server. You can send me a PM if you want to share something private with me.

• DPRoberts likes this

#63 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:40 PM

I think what I'm going to do is start by playing around with my Google plus site for my DPRoberts login.

It looks like with Collections I can basically create categories. Add pictures and videos. It's kind of like Pinterest (which I hate) but could work.

Then, if that works, could it be setup to allow other users to post and just register a CFdesigner login.

All shared files can then run through each individuals preference for free cloud share sites. I think Google drive and Dropbox would cover my posts.

#64 QBL_MrCobra

QBL_MrCobra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:43 PM

I think what I'm going to do is start by playing around with my Google plus site for my DPRoberts login.

It looks like with Collections I can basically create categories. Add pictures and videos. It's kind of like Pinterest (which I hate) but could work.

Then, if that works, could it be setup to allow other users to post and just register a CFdesigner login.

All shared files can then run through each individuals preference for free cloud share sites. I think Google drive and Dropbox would cover my posts.

For sure an account from megasync (50 GIGS free), like they use in OGT, will work. We just need to create a section in PP Forum with different section. Each post will have the picture of the object or asset with the megasync link. And if someone is good to create a webpage that wiil be great. But I think a main  forum section with sub sections will be a good begining.

My thought.

• DPRoberts likes this

#65 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:30 AM

That sounds great MrCobra. If it could be through the PP Forum, we would have to figure out somehow to maintain some organization. Mike's Tutorial section is the only thing that doesn't get lost over time because there are no peripheral postings.

The headings and subheadings would have to be controlled and the community could not add threads but only post to the threads. I think with the PP forum layout, it is tough to prevent a post from getting lost over time. You almost need a structure like CGtextures with a file structure on the left and images of things to download on the right.

I don't know the best answer but a single location to go to find some peripheral assets would be helpful to designers I would imagine. I have reached out to Mike with a PM to see if he has an opinion on it.

#66 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 04:43 PM

Had some time last night to create another house with a bit more complex floor plan. During the creation due to many mistakes, I had to learn some new tricks that would be nice for a Tips & Tricks tutorial.

1. I had joined the pieces for footer layer and the first floor layer only to find out the externsion in the rear was not in the correct position. I did some research and found out how to unjoin a joined group of pieces. Thus I was able to re-position the extension without having to recreate the layers.

2. On both sides, the gutters of the front to back roof pieces were extending beyond the side to side roof end pieces. Fortunately, I remembered the "Loop Cut" feature from one of your earlier tutorials and used that to edit and remove the gutters as needed. On some it was the entire gutter, but on a few, it was only a portion of the gutter. The challenge was replacing the gutter end caps once the gutters were modified,

3. On smaller pieces, it is difficult to determine if the pieces is face out. Once loaded into Unity, they become very apparent. To save time, it is much easier to switch from texture view to solid view to locate the pieces with incorrect face orientation.

4. We need a new roof piece for dormers that is 1.5m wide and probably 1m high. I scaled the 3mx3m roof piece and came up with 1.7m wide (including gutters) and .85m high that looks about right. I scaled the width and height by 50 percent to get those dimensions. In the front image below, there should be a dormer in tthe center, above the double wide window.

For the tutorial, I would suggest the following:

1. How to unjoin previously joined pieces.

2. How to remove gutters from roof pieces by deleting faces

3. How to remove partial gutters from roof pieces using Loop Cut, deleting faces and cleaning up the extra edges created by the Loop Cut.

4. Check face orientation by switching from texture view to solid view.

Front:

xuprCO5.jpg

Left Side:

sgY9C3X.jpg

Back:

6erbp0C.jpg

During the build, I had to learn some new tricks that would be good for a Tips & Tricks tutorial.

#67 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:39 PM

All good points Larry. I can add the blocks to the "To do".

Interestingly, I approach some of those tricks a little differently than you. Not sure if my way is better or worse. I can definitely put something together to address your list.

Additionally, one decent trick I'm using for an overhang on the roof is to build using all the "_face" roof pieces. After you have the roof the way you want it, I select all roof pieces and "join " them. Then, I select the roof and use "S" to scale and hit "Shift Z" to prevent vertical scaling (constrains to XY dimensions) and type 1.1.

This basically increases the roofing just enough to give a little overhang.

#68 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:11 PM

If there's a better way to do any of what I suggested, I would certainly be interested in learning them.

That's a neat trick. I just tried it on a test piece and it worked great. I'll have to redo the roof on the latest house and reorganize how I join them.

I was playing around trying to recess the end face on a roof piece. I got the face to recess, but couldn't get the bottom face to do the same. Only problem, the bottom of the fascia is missing once the face is recessed.

#69 DriverDivots

DriverDivots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:54 PM

DPR I'm guessing you're a SilkRoad / Ross Ulbricht fan?

#70 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:05 PM

The houses are looking good Larry.  Here's a couple of pictures of where I'm at with my clubhouse.

In blender

IPeqJuP.jpg

In unity

B1nAbn4.jpg

1neJ75K.jpg

U1uScgp.jpg

• Ninja_Prime and DPRoberts like this

Asus ROG G751JT-CH71 Gaming Laptop

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7– 4710HQ

Nvidia GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

#71 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:10 PM

DPR I'm guessing you're a SilkRoad / Ross Ulbricht fan?

Ha. Had to go read about that. Never heard of Ross before.

My reference is actually to my family's favorite movie "The Princess Bride". He is the main character in that movie. Hopefully, with that being my avatar and forum pseudonym, I am not somehow on the watchlist.

They will seize many Blender tutorials, fbx files, and incomplete golf courses from me. I lead a fairly boring life by intention.

#72 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:14 PM

Ha. Had to go read about that. Never heard of Ross before.

My reference is actually to my family's favorite movie "The Princess Bride". He is the main character in that movie.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

#73 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:15 PM

Justin,

You are rocking. Love all the jut outs and different roofing stylings going on.

Here is a small "Tips and Tricks" as requested by Larry.

• Ninja_Prime and uvmnick like this

#74 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:36 AM

Justin, great work. Looks like you took on a much more elaborate building. The blender package is so much nicer than the Unity package.

#75 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:52 PM

Justin, great work. Looks like you took on a much more elaborate building. The blender package is so much nicer than the Unity package.

Thank you, Larry. You aren't kidding about it being much easier than in unity. Hardly have to use the mouse :) Here's a few more pictures now that I have it pretty much done. Of course  the course is nowhere done. I just set the buildings where they are going to be going..

tNllKUh.jpg

Du4prsb.jpg

066033L.jpg

5eIQSRL.jpgYtFx4CL.jpg

• Ninja_Prime and DPRoberts like this

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

#76 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:09 PM

Great start on the buildings for your course. What course are they for?

I believe you meant "You aren't kidding" rather then "You are Kidding" :)

Matt and I have been discussing modifying the roof pieces to add a larger overhang where there are gutters. I extended them on the two houses I had done like he showed in the Tips & Tricks tutorial, and they really look much more realistic. Between the two of us, we are keeping him busy !!

#77 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:53 PM

Love the chimneys and balcony supports. The additional touches along with your varying shapes and roofing pieces show how intricate you can get with simple shapes.

#78 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:29 PM

Great start on the buildings for your course. What course are they for?

Larry,

I believe Justin is working on the clubhouse for Royal Cinque Ports GC, Deal, Kent.

Royal-Cinque-Ports-Clubhouse.jpg

#79 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:36 PM

Thanks guys, Daz is correct. It's Royal Cinque Ports GC. It's just south of Royal St. George's.

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

#80 Ninja_Prime

Ninja_Prime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSuffolk UK

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:23 AM

Is there anywhere these are free to download and include on our own courses?

There is no shame in defeat, there is only shame if you do not learn from it.

Intel i7 870@3.06Ghz, 12GB RAM, W10 Pro 64bit, Nvidia GTX 1060 3Gb

Courses designed:

​The Pines, Bracken Heath, Skye Dunes, The Glade, Brook Vale (WIP).

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users