https://en.m.wikiped...s-platform_play

#62 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:27 PM

On the subject of Win 10 version / Steam Version etc.  According to the update posted we are working hard on refactoring the elements in the game engine that caused the most issues in increasing the performance of the game.  We have also practically finished the Turf Effects integration.  Progress continues but there is not much to add. In terms of supporting the Steam Platform I am sure we will continue to use steam as a distribution channel in addition to any MS or Sony based systems we will be using but plan to move away from Steam Networking to Unity Networking which should make all versions playable against each other online.

Of course plans can change and frequently do but for now that is where we are

Awesome news!

#63 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

So- does that mean that the "new WIn 10" version of PG will be available through Steam- assuming nothing in essence changes?

Sorry to ask such a stupido question butit has been a very long week and weekend and my old, shrivilled brain is no working proper, like :D :blink:

Intel 9900k @5GHZ

Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390

Noctua NH-D15 Cromax 

Fractal Design Meshify S2

WDC WD10EFRX 1TB NVME drive

2x 14TB Hitachi NAS HDD

Colour scheme by Nigel Tufnell- "None more black"

#64 lefty1948

lefty1948

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:20 PM

Will we see the Windows 10 version this year?

• worrybirdie likes this

#65 nightowl

nightowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:27 PM

It'd be interesting to know how many man-hours per week are dedicated to coding PG. I get the impression that it varies considerably, with some weeks (months?) seeing very little work being done due to other commitments. I hope I'm wrong. But sometimes I wonder if PG even has one full-time programmer working steadily on the game, the development pace being so slow.

#66 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:26 PM

Unity Networking would allow for cross platform multiplayer as the lobby and all network transfers would be done through unity regardless of platform.

Development is slow because we are a small team. We will be doing a lot of work at The Open Championship and that always eats into game development time. We really hope to have a new version later this year but I am not going to promise anything as there is a lot to be done.  Once we have completed the refactoring and have moved on to game play we will post a new update.

• erwildcat and Greensboronclion like this

#67 lefty1948

lefty1948

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:35 PM

Thank you Andrew, appreciate the information very much.

Keep up the good work, JNPG is the very best!

#68 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:34 PM

The development is what it is with a small team I guess.

We really hope to have a new version later this year but I am not going to promise anything as there is a lot to be done. Once we have completed the refactoring and have moved on to game play we will post a new update.

Looks like a lot of new features will be on the back burner then if there is still plenty of work to be done regards the gameplay and there is no guarantee of seeing anything in 2017. I'll still be hanging around as I feel the current game plays well enough for me to continue to enjoy it, but yearn for the 'next level' upgrades.

My worry would be that by the time the upgrades are ready for the community, the community will only be very few as many will have moved on. I hope I'm wrong, but it seems that is the way things go these days.

• nightowl and worrybirdie like this

#69 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:36 PM

I don't know if anything would help speed it up…
But I'd sure recommend consolidating to Windows only and skip any consoles if it would help.

Honestly speaking, the console market will probably never receive this type of game well.
  • Dave and erwildcat like this

#70 justin01626

justin01626

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:15 PM

I don't know if anything would help speed it up…
But I'd sure recommend consolidating to Windows only and skip any consoles if it would help.

Honestly speaking, the console market will probably never receive this type of game well.

You are joking yes? this game will outsell the PC version IF it ever gets to console, the game is ten times better than TGC2, and that game will outsell the PC version too.

• Tigers Agent, Greensboronclion and IanK like this

#71 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:12 PM

You are joking yes? this game will outsell the PC version IF it ever gets to console, the game is ten times better than TGC2, and that game will outsell the PC version too.

Not joking at all.  I do agree it would outsell the PC version simply due to the massive console install base, but that may not be a good experience for PP in terms of reviews and the reception after a few months and some mainstream reviews.

The game needs a ton of updates to features and visuals to be compelling to the console crowd.  The entire console experience is about polish, simplicity, visuals, well hashed out and bug free features (hopefully anyhow).

Beyond that, we have no idea what would happen with RTS-M & MotionSwing (arguably the coolest and most innovative parts of PG) on the Consoles, nor what would happen with 3rd party courses (again, another arguably critical part of PG).

That's just my opinion anyhow.

We apparently have plenty of time to keep debating it..

lol

• Dave likes this

#72 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:01 AM

lol Buck.

I'm glad you mentioned RTS. This is what I would do...

Make a full sim PC game with RTS as your main selling point. The tempo component keeps everyone honest (On a side issue, the game plays hard enough with JUST the tempo. I use a straight edge now at Pro level and I don't care who knows it. (I'm still not breaking par at the tough tracks. (Not that I wouldn't go free-hand if needs be.)).) 

Full sim!! I'd do everything I could to make it as sim as possible. It would be irresistible and competition would flow on from there. Professional competition may well follow. Leave the toon stuff for the other crowd.

We should make a list of the requirements for simming. These will never be implemented by PP  - that's fine - but someone might come along, read this, and decide to build a great PC golf sim without all the faff.

#73 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:09 AM

The development is what it is with a small team I guess.

Apparently so.  It's May and they are talking about events in the middle of July slowing them down.  I understand that they likely have to prepare for The Open but geez... 

I hope TGC2 is good.  I'll be balding by the time this game reaches the next level.

• Parboy, Griz891 and worrybirdie like this

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#74 Sup?

Sup?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:11 AM

lol Buck.

I'm glad you mentioned RTS. This is what I would do...

Make a full sim PC game with RTS as your main selling point. The tempo component keeps everyone honest (On a side issue, the game plays hard enough with JUST the tempo. I use a straight edge now at Pro level and I don't care who knows it. (I'm still not breaking par at the tough tracks. (Not that I wouldn't go free-hand if needs be.)).) 

Full sim!! I'd do everything I could to make it as sim as possible. It would be irresistible and competition would flow on from there. Professional competition may well follow. Leave the toon stuff for the other crowd.

We should make a list of the requirements for simming. These will never be implemented by PP  - that's fine - but someone might come along, read this, and decide to build a great PC golf sim without all the faff.

Or you could actually go out in the real world and really golf.

• worrybirdie and Greensboronclion like this

#75 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:19 AM

As Andrew said console and PC can play together and that means all swings can play together so what's wrong with That? Some are selling the console short as they will sell tons of people over there and yes they are not the hardcore gamer in golf that the PC player is but there will be a lot of them. For the record I play 3C TP and would have no problem playing against a player on the console with him using an Xboxone controller. As for someone building a great golf Sim well they have and it's called JNPG and yes it's a work in progress but at this point tell me where there is a better video golf game right now than this game. The people that are playing it all the time know what I am talking about and we can wait for the upgrades to come like turf as the game in its current state is still the best out there. Just my two cents.

#76 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:16 AM

Or you could actually go out in the real world and really golf.

What a tired old argument.

#77 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:32 AM

The entire console experience is about polish, simplicity, visuals, well hashed out and bug free features (hopefully anyhow).

Which Rory on PS4 probably had and it only managed an average of 61 on Metacritic.  There's not going to be a sequel either, which speaks volumes about its sales.

#78 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:50 AM

Which Rory on PS4 probably had and it only managed an average of 61 on Metacritic. There's not going to be a sequel either, which speaks volumes about its sales.

Rory's failure is more of an indictment of the marketplace in the mainstream for a golf game, but mainly about EA's wavering commitment to continued updates, even more features and fixes over time.

Divot could speak more about this, but from my observations of their forum, there were plenty that loved that game and just wanted EA to hold up their end of things.  I believe they'd originally hinted they'd release a whole new core engine and add to it over the long term (vs release every year) and they just basically didn't do that for very long.

#79 3199E5kennetharry

3199E5kennetharry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:07 AM

So are you saying that if i buy a xbox at £400 which is a lot cheaper than an gaming PC, I could still play with my friends who play on a PC.

Processor: Intel Core i5-7400 Kaby Lake CPU, 4 Cores, 3.0 - 3.5GHz

CPU Cooler: Intel Stock CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B250M-A Motherboard

Memory: 16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory (2 x 8GB Sticks)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card

OS Drive: 250GB SK hynix SL301 Solid State Drive

Storage Drive: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Hard Disk

Power Supply: Aerocool 80 PLUS 600W PSU

Sound Card: Onboard High Definition Audio

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

#80 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:25 AM

Rory's failure is more of an indictment of the marketplace in the mainstream for a golf game, but mainly about EA's wavering commitment to continued updates, even more features and fixes over time.

Divot could speak more about this, but from my observations of their forum, there were plenty that loved that game and just wanted EA to hold up their end of things.  I believe they'd originally hinted they'd release a whole new core engine and add to it over the long term (vs release every year) and they just basically didn't do that for very long.

The golfer animations in it look great - an equivalent in PG would make the whole game look better immediately imo.

It does make me wonder though, if a game with slick graphics and the most popular golfer in the world's picture on it was not successful, will PG do any better, even at a lower price point?  I understand Rory was criticised over some gameplay issues, but are there really console golf fans out there waiting on a game with better gameplay?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users