#62 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:00 PM

I would like to see the putting on PG2 a little more difficult, at least on the higher levels. At present, like other golf games of the past, reading greens with aids such as the grid or BLI is too accurate compared to real life. Without using such aids though, it is too hard. I still think one answer to this would be the introduction of a 'time bank'. You would be given a set amount of time per round, which could change with difficulty, be set by the game's host, or be adjustable in user options, and this time bank would decrease while the grid/BLI was in use. This would add an interesting strategy element, as well as a challenging management scenario to a round and sort of simulate being 'put on the clock' IRL tournaments. I think it would work particularly well for match play. Good or bad use of the aids could leave you with more time to deal with particularly difficult putts, or alternatively could leave you rushed and under pressure, or even unable to use the aids towards the end of the round if you used them particularly poorly earlier on (much as the chess clock does in competitive chess games).

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#63 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:03 PM

Flag, water and trees moving in the same direction as the wind. ;)

• Charles, SDS and GoldenBear like this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#64 billw

billw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:11 PM

I don't play alot of JNPG because I don't own a powerful enough computer to play at medium to high FPS. However,  two things I would like to see in PG2 that I haven't seen mentioned yet are:

1. PGA  and Euro Tour type commentary in the game to simulate a tournament atmosphere. Along these lines, the ability to create sound scripts of our own that we could share if anyone wanted them.

2. The ability to convert  courses already created in Links 2003 and TW08 for use in PG2.

billw

• erwildcat likes this

#65 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 01 June 2018 - 03:31 PM

I vote for Kiwi Mase to be PG2's commentator. :)  :)  :)  Also, I am not joking, I can't think of any video game commentary that has the excitement of a Kiwi Mase round commentated.

EDIT:  It would be pretty cool if a commentator was added if you could then have the ability to upload audio packs so Kiwi Mase could be the commentator.  I am sure someone would add some other voices like the old TomTom GPS's.

• cajuncapgun and Sliceapottomus like this

#66 SFR

SFR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:26 PM

This is a request from a simulator player.

Putting speed and roll out:

I know that there will be a new ball flight model in place but please look into the putting and roll out to ball speed ratio.  I have been doing some testing with a stimp meter and putting on a 12 stimp surface and after about 12 feet the ball speed to ball roll ratio gets way worse.  I may not be 100% correct but I was finding a ball speed of 5.85 mph was rolling up to 40% longer in the sim on a flat green than the real ball rolled on the 12 stimp surface.  In real life that ball rolled between 16' and 16.5' with multiple test putts and the sim would make it roll about 22.5 feet or more.  It gets worse as the ball speed gets higher.  Please look into this and make sure the putting physics as not just set up to be accurate at an 8 stimp and not at a higher stimp.  I can't test 8 stimp as I don't have that speed of surface.

These others I think have been requested and are very much needed for sim play.

Pick your own pins to play a round.

We need to be able to input a pin number for every hole, if desired, to set up a round to play.  A spot where you just enter a number on every hole for the pin you want.  Too many courses are made with some holes that are not playable on the sim and thus you just don't play that course.  When hand picked for tournaments it works well and you can eliminate the bad ones.  We need to be able to do this for normal rounds when playing on your own. 

Unplayable lie drops.

Have real drops for unplayable lies where you can move 2 cubs or about 8 feet or use the move back in line with the pin for drops.

Out of Bounds marked.

Have the mini map grayed out as was requested in all out of bounds areas or a visible line on the mini map. 

• Cintigolfer likes this

#67 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:44 PM

• Ready golf - I don't care for simultaneous play, that's not golf, nor social, but allowing players to prepare their shot while another is hitting.

Yeah, I agree with this.  It would increase the pace of play if both players could be evaluating and lining up their next shots simultaneously.  When the "away" player initiates their swing, the other player would then be taken to their option of "playing companion view" (or better yet, a perspective view  reflective of their actual position on the course, relative to their playing companion) or the 'swing camera view' of the player who is up.

They had something similar to this in Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear Challenge in the late 90's, and it was called Ready Golf.  It showed you a virtual instant replay of your opponent's shot, while they're doing the same for yours.  It moved the game along at about a 30 to 40 percent quicker pace, but it didn't lend itself to match play.  Your idea would work with match play... I like it!

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#68 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:49 PM

Yeah, I agree with this.  It would increase the pace of play if both players could be evaluating and lining up their next shots simultaneously.  When the "away" player initiates their swing, the other player would then be taken to their option of "playing companion view" (or better yet, a perspective view  reflective of their actual position on the course, relative to their playing companion) or the 'swing camera view' of the player who is up.

They had something similar to this in Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear Challenge in the late 90's, and it was called Ready Golf.  It showed you a virtual instant replay of your opponent's shot, while they're doing the same for yours.  It moved the game along at about a 30 to 40 percent quicker pace, but it didn't lend itself to match play.  Your idea would work with match play... I like it!

Agree with this idea as well!  It would help speed up play for sure.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

#69 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:51 PM

Oh my gosh - great call guys -  I would LOVE some form of modern "ready golf" as Match Play is literally all I do.

We'd be able to get in 2x the rounds each night!!

#70 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 05:54 PM

I would like to see Static Grids on the greens.

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#71 Pappy

Pappy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • LocationRancho Cordova, California

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:43 PM

I don't play using the grid for one reason it kinda uglyfies the course- but an idea popped into my head that might make things prettier: have an adjustable brightness control so you can dim it as low as possible and make it still usable.

THOUGHT: Most plan for their Vacation - but most do not plan for their Eternity!

Video       Introduction       My YouTube      The Return

#72 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:46 PM

I don't play using the grid for one reason it kinda uglyfies the course- but an idea popped into my head that might make things prettier: have an adjustable brightness control so you can dim it as low as possible and make it still usable.

It would be really cool to see some new type of "grid" that is more like an overlay that enhances the contrast of the green on the fly and is sort of halfway between reading the greens as is with no aids and a full on grid.

This is one aspect of digital golf that is really begging for some innovation.  

It'd be amazing to have a more real world/naked/just looking at it way to read the greens than just laying a grid over it and is more akin to reading them in real life.

I'm firmly anti-BLI.  Honestly I'd drop that from PG2 personally (perhaps controversial - just being honest)

I think the BLI is a neat thought and was an interesting idea/exercise to try out, but it's providing way too much detail and is sort of a bad analogue for how one reads a green in real life.  

Nobody drags a meter all over the place and gets such hyper detailed info as they go.  

It's far too technical and takes feel out of it all.

#73 Sliceapottomus

Sliceapottomus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:12 PM

Please do not remove bli It is there for those who want it and need it. If you don't like it you don't have to use it....

• Pappy, GoldenBear and Stingreye like this
Ncccrca.jpg
Operating System - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit ,  CPU - Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.80GHz ,  RAM - 16.0GB, MotherboardASRock B250M Pro4 (CPUSocket) , Graphics card4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti ,  Storage256GB (SSD) , 931GB Seagate , 232GB Maxtor USB Device

#74 3199E5kennetharry

3199E5kennetharry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:14 PM

Kill the caddie, put the clubs and shot shaper away from the meter.  Also a smooth meter.  Do away with the invisable branches and bushes.

Thanks.

• spy88 and GoldenBear like this

Processor: Intel Core i5-7400 Kaby Lake CPU, 4 Cores, 3.0 - 3.5GHz

CPU Cooler: Intel Stock CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B250M-A Motherboard

Memory: 16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory (2 x 8GB Sticks)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card

OS Drive: 250GB SK hynix SL301 Solid State Drive

Storage Drive: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Hard Disk

Power Supply: Aerocool 80 PLUS 600W PSU

Sound Card: Onboard High Definition Audio

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

#75 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:22 PM

Please do not remove bli It is there for those who want it and need it. If you don't like it you don't have to use it....

Never know. If they came up with something better and more real golf like you might prefer it!

I only mentioned it as it seems like they are wondering what to prune out of the game (if anything).

I don't mind the BLI existing personally, but I do think it's pretty real world unrealistic. But...to each our own.

#76 JTee1

JTee1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:30 PM

I think the game needs its own swing device for the gamer's and those without a space for a full simulator  to play.  Similar to this device or a partnership with them. I'm sure both companies would benefit. 

http://www.tittlegol...m/tittle_x.html

https://www.tittlego...m/tittle_x.html

#77 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:41 PM

A snap camera for multiplayer to speed thing up,  while waiting for another player to hit, let me see my ball so I can use BLI scope out where I want to hit etc,  then when the other guy hits, switch the animation to the other player so I can watch his shot.  This should speed up multiplayer so guys can be ready to hit when its their turn vs waiting for them to BLI the green or decide what club to hit. 

I'm all over this as an option also... it would be more efficient in supporting the pace of play, minimize dead time, and sell the individual player perspective to more of a first person perspective.  I'd want the option of watching the other player play their shot from wherever my golfer would be standing on the course, in addition to the current options of "Playing Companion View" and the default swing camera view.

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#78 slouis

slouis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:53 PM

I think the BLI is a neat thought and was an interesting idea/exercise to try out, but it's providing way too much detail and is sort of a bad analogue for how one reads a green in real life.  

Nobody drags a meter all over the place and gets such hyper detailed info as they go.  

It's far too technical and takes feel out of it all.

In case you are not aware, the pros on all the professional tours, PGA, Web.com, even the Mckenzie Tour are supplied with booklets that detail every break, elevation, and slope of the greens on the course they are playing that week so I don't think the BLI is unrealistic.  The head pro at my club told me that there is an individual in my province (Alberta) that sells these types of booklets  to recreational golfers.  So yes in real life greens have been mapped out and are available not only to the pros but the weekend golfer as well.

• Sliceapottomus and spy88 like this

RTSM - Pro

#79 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:02 PM

Someone else mentioned this, but it would be nice to see other golfers on the course. I don't remember any golf game doing this.

I've been craving this for years... it would add so much to the atmosphere to see golfers in action on other holes as you're playing.   The argument against it is that it would take up valuable processing power away from animating your golfer, but the animations of the other golfers could either be limited, or frozen during your actual swing, if that's the case.  

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#80 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:02 PM

In case you are not aware, the pros on all the professional tours, PGA, Web.com, even the Mckenzie Tour are supplied with booklets that detail every break, elevation, and slope of the greens on the course they are playing that week so I don't think the BLI is unrealistic.  The head pro at my club told me that there is an individual in my province (Alberta) that sells these types of booklets  to recreational golfers.  So yes in real life greens have been mapped out and are available not only to the pros but the weekend golfer as well.

The problem with the BLI is that it is basically a bit of onscreen augmented reality that is essentially "too helpful" (relative to the real sport).

Even if it's all mapped out and written up in a book/notes, not even pros can look, on the fly, at specific spots, at the green itself!, and see precisely how the break/slope/speed is right there and then before their eyes.  

It still requires interpolation from what was recorded in the past in their course guide/book and translating that in their mind from what they are seeing as they look away from the guide book.

It's sort of similar to the challenges of interpreting where to aim vs picking an aiming spot on the overhead map.

Again, even as Mike has said, that difference is material and germane to the sport and the challenge of it and scoring well.

Ideally green reading should also be that way.

The BLI is just a bridge too far as it relates to normal real life.

Again - no offense if you love it.

I just find it pretty unrealistic and over informative in a way that only a computer game could be (vs reality outdoors)

Now - when AR glasses are in use on a real course, we might have a different discussion for sure!

• frank70 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users