#101 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 08:26 PM

Buck,
It’s interesting that you are skeptical of comments based on what people are actually seeing in pictures and video, whereas your assertions of improved physics, gameplay and wind are based on a hunch as far as I can tell.

I’m skeptical of comments that are dismissive simply because I think we would all feel differently about even the graphics if this were software we were about to get.

You’re right, I am making assumptions about improved physics and gameplay and wind, and I have no idea either way.

But...I would be surprised if there have been no improvements in those departments for the simulator software both over the last two years and certainly for a new release.

Do you believe they’ve made no improvements to anything under the hood in the last two years and moving forward in a new release?

#102 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 08:29 PM

...based on what people are actually seeing in pictures and video...

Do we have any first party video?

Sorry if I missed it.
Would love to see how it all looks in motion.

#103 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 08:41 PM

Ultimately, all I’m trying to say about the reactions to the screenshots is this..

I *firmly* believe that if we *were* getting PG2 and these exact same photos were trickling out, the reaction would be “looks great!”, “gorgeous, cant’ wait!”, “not super different, but a nice upgrade to what we have” —- and the like..

And anyone saying “looks about the same to me...” would be getting chastised for not recognizing the little details that do look better and also that we already have very good graphics, so all that is needed is an evolutionary update anyways.

Us getting access to this software (or not) really impacts how we react to it.

This is just human nature.

#104 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 09:26 PM

I’m skeptical of comments that are dismissive simply because I think we would all feel differently about even the graphics if this were software we were about to get.

You’re right, I am making assumptions about improved physics and gameplay and wind, and I have no idea either way.

But...I would be surprised if there have been no improvements in those departments for the simulator software both over the last two years and certainly for a new release.

Do you believe they’ve made no improvements to anything under the hood in the last two years and moving forward in a new release?

What improvements would they have made or issues fixed... and why?  

If you are referring to the backspin and wind model discussions that have taken place in the past, the reluctance to ever fix them with updates to the first game is more of an indicator to me than your assumptions that they are making improvements.

Although I don't disagree that people may be not be as willing to cheer for a game that wont be in their hands.

But other than 3D grass and lighting, it appears that many of the courses will continue to have the same kind of look (texture and planting schemes)  

Maybe that just isn't very exciting for some people.   

#105 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 09:33 PM

Mike and Andrew are smart guys and I'm sure they know there are lots of little things that still needed work two years ago on PG1.

I presume they at some point will roll out fixes to their current VG2 platform for Trackman users.

I sort of got the impression that once they settled in with TM, PG1/VG1 was mostly feature complete and all work went towards PG2/VG2.

I never really expected PG2 to be some massive change anyhow (we have a great base w/ PG1 - even from 2 years ago).

To me a simple evolutionary update was all that's needed and it looks like that's what it likely is.

I wish we were getting this for the PC, even if the updates are only minimal.

It would be nice to be on a platform that is still being actively developed

#106 DennisHarris

DennisHarris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • LocationSummerville SC

Posted 15 November 2019 - 09:55 PM

I've lost interest in playing PG to be honest.   And I am honestly sick and tired of all the speculation.  We have received nothing concrete in over two years about the future of PG2.   Best we can get is a resounding we'll let you know when we know.  LOL!  I struggle to maintain a positive attitude with that length of no news or sorta news.   LOL!  But I will be here until it goes dark. 

• Joe Habiger, Buck, RobV and 2 others like this

Digital Storm Ryzen 9 3900X/12 core  3.79MHZ/16 gig Ram /  Radeon R5700xt

#107 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:53 PM

Other than the great skybox and lighting engine it doesn't look like a significant graphics update.

49069697938_06b2ed5f08_o.jpg

I think for a single image, this looks pretty good. They've abandoned over saturated colors. We can't get that kind of shadow from the flag pole in our Unity. The grass in the distance looks nice. However, I'm guessing they are still ugly billboards.

I personally don't like playing golf when the sun is setting or rising but it's just to show off some lighting.

This image is better than what was shown on the projector images.
  • Buck likes this

#108 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:16 AM

I personally don't like playing golf when the sun is setting or rising but it's just to show off some lighting.

I call that "TGC" - lol

It was almost comical at one point (not sure about now) how every course was either set in the AM or PM for that oozing dripping, low angle sun, orgasmic look...

(which you were stuck with due to no time of day changes in TGC 1/2/not sure on 2019)

• Joe Habiger likes this

#109 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:59 AM

I remember that, it was so damn nice to play GREAT DESIGNED courses and end up barely seeing the course because they set the sun angle so low because it showed off pretty shadows. I love shadows on a golf course to but I still need to be able to see.

I still think the graphics here are very good but what bothers me is they just GAVE UP on this first version instead of finishing it and adding DLC so they could make some more money. I've said this to many times now, there is nothing wrong with DLC to make money as long as it is done right.

• Buck and Greensboronclion like this
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#110 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 16 November 2019 - 08:54 AM

Yeah, I don't really understand why 99% of TGC courses are at sunrise or sunset. I find it jarring.

Most of mine are either late morning light or otherwise overcast, or both. 

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#111 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 16 November 2019 - 04:17 PM

Yeah, I don't really understand why 99% of TGC courses are at sunrise or sunset. I find it jarring.

Most of mine are either late morning light or otherwise overcast, or both. 

It's a trend that I never fully understood.  I know when I set up our weekly four rounder at the Society I manage, I'll always set one round to play under the course creator's default conditions.   I'll then set the other three rounds at different times of the day and different weather conditions.  More often than not, I find that I prefer the morning, noon, or most frequently, afternoon settings show the course off more than the often default dawn or dusk setting. 

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#112 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:28 AM

Another Instagram member posted a question about this most recent photo, asking "when are the details coming?", to which Trackman answered "very soon  ;) "... sound familiar?  B)

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#113 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:26 AM

Another Instagram member posted a question about this most recent photo, asking "when are the details coming?", to which Trackman answered "very soon  ;) "... sound familiar?  B)

Funny! Made my whole evening.

#114 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:05 AM

VG2 download is now available on TM support page.

QP3T2LO.jpg

enbD4FE.jpg

GrhPmVq.jpg

• RobC and Greensboronclion like this

#115 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:45 AM

Thx for posting those Z - looks great...

My ultimate reaction is basically..

giphy.gif

#116 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:16 AM

Those courses aren't exactly name brands; I've maybe read about Sweetens.  Otherwise pretty cool, except for us possibly not getting it.

#117 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:19 AM

I gotta admit it looks nice. Just wish I'd been able to work for them.
  • Buck likes this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#118 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:33 PM

If PG2 doesn’t have online multiplayer and no online tournament play, would you still want it?

#119 yesrushdt

yesrushdt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:37 PM

https://twitter.com/...484311999594496

The movement of the clouds is breathtaking.  No more static skies on the stock courses I guess. 

Hopefully an answer from Mike/Andrew on a PC/console version will be coming in the not too distant future considering the simulator version has been released.

If PG2 doesn’t have online multiplayer and no online tournament play, would you still want it?

A big fat no if online multiplayer is not included.  It would be ridiculous even attempting to release it without a feature that most other golf games have.  Stripping down the game even further feature wise shouldn't even be discussed by the developers.  I don't really care about online tournament play but the majority of the people I play with participate in weekly tournies.

#120 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:02 PM

I will hold any judgment on any of these screenies or "animations".

It will be nice when someone we know gets it and releases a video capture recorded from the desktop.

It will be better. We will want it. Whatcha gonna do...
  • Buck likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users