RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:16 AM

You keep your New York joy

I'm goin' to Ilinois -  just as fast as I can

The next Tour event is at Championship level replicating opening round conditions with some gusty wind. The stimp and firmness settings I'll leave to your preference until I make some further trials.

Rules and Conditions

Course  Illinois

Number of Holes  A full round of 18 holes

Difficulty  Assists either Minimum or Off  Feel free to use more assists until you improve

Device  Either MS or 3Click  I'll indicate your device beside your name on the leaderboard

Tees  Championship

Pins  Easy

Firmness and Stimp  Your preference

Grids  Your preference

BLI  Your preference

Weather etc.  Wind - Gusty. Your preference for the rest 

Gimmes  2 feet

Mulligans  OFF!  Please make this your priority

Submission of scores  Simply post your scores to this thread as 'strokes' or 'to par'. Please indicate your swing device method. Tell the story of your round if you like. Submit as many times as you like as often as you beat your previous score.

LEADERBOARD    Illinois

-    6       Mike Jones (MS)

-    4       Rush2112 (MS)

-    2       Parboy (3C)

-    2       frank70 (MS)

-    2       Reynhardt_p2 (MS)

E       highfade (3C)

E       sirputterman (3C)

E       Ted Ball (MS)

+   1       Sinewiz (3C)

+   2       JoeF (MS)

+   2       holee (MS)

+   2       robbiet71 (MS)

+   4       Greensboronclion (MS)

+   4       Kimmer1947 (3C)

+   4       flyer01 (3C)

+   7       Crow357 (MS)

#2 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:01 AM

First let me say for some reason this course has given me fits and that was in calm conditions and you throw gusty at me and this could be ugly. Well it wasn't that bad. 39-36=75 +4 BLI min aids Gusty with easy pins 9 stimp and 5 firm on a sunny day. I have not played gusty yet but ha been working on that low stinger at the range as it is a favorite down here in Myrtle Beach. I found against a stiff 25 mph wind you can take the 3w low and cut right under the wind and still get a good 240 to 250 out of it and keep it in the short stuff. Putting real good again except for that one three putt from 4 ft and short game getting better. Biggest weakness now is from 80 yards as I have to hit 2/3 to 3/4 56w as I don't carry a 60w in my bag here as I prefer to carry a 5w. Anyway I shall give it a few more tries this week and thanks for setting these events up.

#3 flyer01

flyer01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:34 AM

A full shot 56w with the shot shaper ball all the way to the top is about 80 yds. but runs out a lot.

• Greensboronclion likes this

ASUS ROG LAPTOP,  i7-4720HQ, G-sync IPS, 16GB, 1TB HDD, 256GB PCIEG2 SSD, GTX970M GDDR5, WIN. 8.1

#4 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:29 AM

+11 no assists.

I can do this.

Just between you and me - they would have to be the hardest Easy pins I could imagine. But no excuses.

#5 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:53 AM

E,     3c   no assists  7/10

Hit about 5 GIRs,  up and down all the way and lipped and eagle putt on the last -_-

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#6 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:45 PM

I went to the range and hit a lot of balls. This practice caper really works. Slowed my swing right down. I'm swinging like Monty. You've really got to work on that swing with no assists - well I have to anyway. That slower swing means I'm able to hit that 100% at the top more often. A 76 and if the putter gets a bit kinder I think I can get it under par. This game...yowza!

#7 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:58 PM

Played a 2nd round just now before work.  40-36=76 +5 Min aids gusty easy pins and 10/7.  Thought I hit the ball as good as I have ever just now but wind was worse than first round as it seemed 32 to 35 mph was the norm.  That low stinger really helps in that wind.  Will try again tonight but in that wind it will be tough to get much better.  Man this game is addicting.

Teddy...Your range bill is going to be thru the roof this month. lol.

#8 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:01 PM

Shot a +2 using min aids, bli, 6/12 and gusty.  I'm pleased considering the 8 I had on the par 3 11th.  Wind kept blowing me into the water, damn it.

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#9 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:02 PM

I'm gonna become a range junkie. 

I was swinging way too fast. As my old golfing mate used to say, "Show me a man with a fast backswing and a fat wallet". Control, control, control - and the ball goes FURTHER!! Also sorted out my chipping tempo.

#10 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:01 PM

Well another round and higher still. 41-37=78 +7. Same conditions as two previous rounds and will play one more to get a full four round event in. I went over to LSPN and played a round in my event over there at Crandon Park and shot a -12 round of 60 to boost my ego. Lol. Inshould have shot 56 but my snap was off and have not played much links much lately but it is tough to give the old girl up.

#11 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:15 AM

Ok I have played four rounds and that is enough but here is what I got and in order. 75-76-78-79. Each round got worse and here is one observation. First of in links I didn't play any Windy events as it blew 35 mph for the whole round and even in a PGA event they might not play due to those conditions as at that point the ball will ocilate on the ground and events have been postponed or delayed due to that. In real golf you will play in a steady breeze but if I get up on Saturday morning and it's howling we don't play. So with gusty it was like a 32 to 35 all day long and four rounds just wears you out even at a PC. In 72 holes I don't think I hit 15 fairways or greens and it sure did help the short game. My point tho is that type of wind is not realistic of real golf and it needs toned down for future play. Get it to the point where a 25 mph gust is the max but not a tropical storm where you swing and hope it lands in some area that gives you some shot at the green.

#12 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:42 AM

Well, mouse swing, shot a +7. It was brutal out there. I feel wind swept. Hardest easy pins ever, LOL.
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#13 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:30 AM

Yeah Crow, I just finished a round there and came in to complain to the greens committee. I wonder - are the Easy pins placed differently between Championship and Members tees? I had a 20 foot putt on the last (my round was a shambles at that stage) and couldn't get it close after about 16 goes. Admittedly I was above the hole with a big break but there was no way I was going to stop it close let alone sink it. Sure you should be leaving the ball below the hole but there wasn't much green below the hole. Not what I would call Easy. I'm going to have a round there from front tees with Difficult pins to see the incredible terror we would be faced with.

And it wasn't just the 18th. There wasn't a pin without a big break from 10 foot which makes me wonder if Championship tees get Championship 'Devil Easy' pins.

Anyway, it is a good indication of very difficult course setup and conditions. 

#14 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:43 AM

Yeah Crow, I just finished a round there and came in to complain to the greens committee. I wonder - are the Easy pins placed differently between Championship and Members tees? I had a 20 foot putt on the last (my round was a shambles at that stage) and couldn't get it close after about 16 goes. Admittedly I was above the hole with a big break but there was no way I was going to stop it close let alone sink it. Sure you should be leaving the ball below the hole but there wasn't much green below the hole. Not what I would call Easy. I'm going to have a round there from front tees with Difficult pins to see the incredible terror we would be faced with.

And it wasn't just the 18th. There wasn't a pin without a big break from 10 foot which makes me wonder if Championship tees get Championship 'Devil Easy' pins.

Anyway, it is a good indication of very difficult course setup and conditions.

USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit RJ45 Ethernet LAN Network Adapter 1000Mbps
| Add to watch list
Popular 4 sold in last 24 hours

Teddy I don't think there is an easy with that course. We asked for a hard PC golf game and we sure have one right now.

#15 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:33 AM

Yeah G.....it was a lesson.  From what I observed from my +4 with no assists in that wind I believe I could shoot even par but not much better. That's great. There'll be tourneys one day which will sort the men from the boys and the equivalent for the other sex. But there's a fine line between pleasure and pain as our darling Chrissie used to sing.

Anyway, I went and played 10 holes (sans wind) with Difficult pins and I preferred them much more than Easy (sank a 79 footer on 2 :rolleyes: ). The pins were mainly at the back of the greens but on generally flatter areas. They weren't particularly had to get at. I don't know the philosophy of pin placement. I might try to find out.

#16 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:46 AM

Am I allowed to put this here? It's an article by Robert Trent Jones Jr. There are some interesting insights on pin placement and the rights and wrongs of the science.

http://archive.lib.m...e/1965mar92.pdf

#17 sirputterman

sirputterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:00 AM

min aids 3c grid  E http://i190.photobuc...lf Illinois.jpg

#18 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:20 AM

After skipping Massachusetts I gave this one a go. Scared by tales of unpredictable winds and dastardly pin positions I spent 20 minutes on the range to get in the groove.

In the groove I stayed for a -6 round of 65. Motion swing min/min. stimp and firmness default

Key to the round was solid long game play, I hit a lot of fairways and greens and managed to stay below the hole most of the time. Also some nice lobs from close to the green on par 5s helped keep the score going. I'll take my score and run!

#19 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:43 AM

Great round Mike. I think I'd better go back to min/min for sanity.

#20 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:41 PM

After skipping Massachusetts I gave this one a go. Scared by tales of unpredictable winds and dastardly pin positions I spent 20 minutes on the range to get in the groove.

In the groove I stayed for a -6 round of 65. Motion swing min/min. stimp and firmness default

Key to the round was solid long game play, I hit a lot of fairways and greens and managed to stay below the hole most of the time. Also some nice lobs from close to the green on par 5s helped keep the score going. I'll take my score and run!

Heh, leave it to the actual pro to show us how it's done. Nice round, Mike!
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A casual comp for all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users