#81 TimBoch

TimBoch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFarmington, MN

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

If you think about a club coming in open closing through impact then if you hit the ball early the face is open and late it is closed, but I understand this is opposite to most swing meters, it just seems to me that all the other ones are wrong... :)

Hello AJ,

From a very young age I was taught how to hit a nice controlled draw from right to left.  I was also taught how to fade the ball left to right, but this was never my natural shot.  In Links 2003, I have found that my swing tendency has always been to click just slightly left of 6 o'clock for the snap and I replicate what the ball does to my IRL ball flight.  Because of this, I find that I line up my shot to account for my "natural draw" and in many ways I find I play a Links course with the same mindset I would if I was plaing it IRL.  My draw comes more from the fact that my swing comes from slightly inside the line to outside producing the right to left ball flight due to the clubface being slightly closed at impact.  This is why the hook/fade in Links 2003 seems natural to me.

Someone who releases the club head early, further closing the club face, would hit a pull hook, similar to the results in Links when the snap is further left of 6 o'clock and the opposite results happen for right of 6 o'clock.  A snap slightly right ads a bit of a fade and a worse snap reacts more like a blocked slice.

Just my thoughts on the "draw/fade" of the swing meter and how it feels to me IRL.

Keep up the great work!

• highfade likes this
Course Forge Courses in various stages of design: Dwan Golf Club, Hyland Greens, Faribault CC, Desert Valley CC/ Woodland Trail(fictional), Infamous Golf Course (fantasy)
Links 2003 Designs: Dwan Golf Club, Infamous Golf Course, Hazeltine National Golf Club (assistant designer), Woodland Trail/Desert Valley CC , Faribault CC (beta), Hyland Greens (beta), Double Eagle (beta), King's Walk (beta), Interlachen CC (still in planning)
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • 16GB DDR3L RAM
  • 750GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

#82 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

I have Links set up to replicate my real life golf swing as well; I have each club set up for a 1 degree closed face and then I try to hit the snap at 6 o'clock. This gives me my natural draw shot and I play each course as I would actually play it IRL. If I am a little early with my hit, I get a little more draw/hook; a little late more of a straight "push" to the right of my target. I then plan my shots to allow for a less than perfect strike and as part of my strategy for playing a hole based on playing conditions for the round.

I also set the distances for all of my clubs to my real life distances as well, and then I play all of my courses as "myself". This is how I play Links and is how I enjoy the game.

I am hoping this same "custom" ability will be available in Perfect Golf, as we migrate to the next great golf game!

Ken

#83 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

I have Links set up to replicate my real life golf swing as well; I have each club set up for a 1 degree closed face and then I try to hit the snap at 6 o'clock. This gives me my natural draw shot and I play each course as I would actually play it IRL. If I am a little early with my hit, I get a little more draw/hook; a little late more of a straight "push" to the right of my target. I then plan my shots to allow for a less than perfect strike and as part of my strategy for playing a hole based on playing conditions for the round.

I also set the distances for all of my clubs to my real life distances as well, and then I play all of my courses as "myself". This is how I play Links and is how I enjoy the game.

I am hoping this same "custom" ability will be available in Perfect Golf, as we migrate to the next great golf game!

Would be very nice if it would be like that, I agree. Of course, I would set my club distances to max, seeing as my IRL prowess is nothing to write home about. But I very much would like to be able to set a standard swing type, in my case a high, soft fade, that applies to all clubs. Except for wedges, which even I managed to hit straight.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#84 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

The problem with this option on Links 2003 that allows you to close/open the face by a few simple clicks before the swing, is it makes drawing and fading the ball at will a formality. This is not the case in real golf, and is one of the skills that separate good golfers from average ones. I am fine with this being a setup option to imitate a real life swing, but it shouldn't be changeable once the round has started. Draw and fade should be controlled by the players skill.

Much has been said of some RTS swingers using edges to hit straight shots, but I'm sure they would rather have an edge to hit draws and fades! :lol:. These are incredibly easy on click swing, and ridiculously hard to control on RTS in Links 2003. <_< 

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#85 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, AR

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

I just now saw this post. Wow. Looks incredible. 

TheLighterDark / "William" / University of Arkansas, Fayetteville / 21

Toshiba Satellite S855 / Windows 8 64-bit / Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz / 8.00 GB RAM

n2o7ldH.png

"All the world on one arrow..." - Ashe, The Frost Archer, League of Legends.

#86 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

As I stated in a previous post, in beta testing Tiger Woods PC EA instituted an "edge penalizer" in TS similar to what is supposedly in the Links 2003 RTS.  However, I and other non-edgers were penalized for hitting straight shots so EA doing the right thing removed the "edge penalizer" prior to release of the game.

I truly believe that edging (and axis disabling software) could be eliminated if a semi circular mouse swing (similar to what is in www.ongolf.com) were available in Perfect Golf.

-MERACE

Then someone who is anal enough knocks up a lovely semi-circular edge to slide the mouse around, lol, to keep it perfectly on plane.

:D

#87 Jbx

Jbx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationHampshire, England

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

Daz, I'm glad you didn't include the build instructions!!

Jbx%20golgBall1.jpg

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every mininute of it!

#88 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:19 AM

I like the idea of a circular meter with either dots or hash marks and a larger dot/line at 12 and 6.
Then a colored area from the 12 to 1 o'clock for over-hitting. Of course the release or press would
be just before the back swing reaches the 1 o'clock mark.  Similar to TW08's meter.

circularmeter_zps7c47b564.jpg

#89 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:16 AM

Thats the usual 12/6 swing meter which is about the same at Links. Actually I don't need a colored area for overswing as long as the 12 and 6 markers are clear. It is a question of how good you can see the 12 and 6 markers. Everything else is just visible fine tuning which may cause problems when the game needs more and more things to load after each hole. Sorry, my english ain't good enough to really say what I meen :)

Who cares...

#90 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

Thats the usual 12/6 swing meter which is about the same at Links. Actually I don't need a colored area for overswing as long as the 12 and 6 markers are clear. It is a question of how good you can see the 12 and 6 markers. Everything else is just visible fine tuning which may cause problems when the game needs more and more things to load after each hole. Sorry, my english ain't good enough to really say what I meen :)

You said what you meant and meant what you said. :)  I agree with you.  As long as the 12 and 6 are clearly visible there really isn't any need for hash marks and dots.  I think the 1 o'clock needs a mark as well, so when you are over-hitting you know, how far not to go before you mess-up your backswing.

The meter for TWO is nice too, BUT without the swing-aid-markers and percentage indicators. 

two-meter_zps78f08f11.jpg

This would be my preference, just a circle with 12, 1 and 6 appearing on the meter.

#91 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

The prototype swing-meter AJ 'debuted' in the first post of this thread has what you guys are chatting about.

A 12 o'clock 100% hit point

An overswing allowance (clearly marked where it maxes out)

A 6 o'clock snap-point

There is also the added fat/thin hit point (as PP are developing the swing meter to also cater for 4 click). Whilst it is no way a final offering, it is an early vieiwing of what ideas PP have for the swing meter.

Me personally, I will be glad to see the meter without the progression dots (but wouldn't mind if they were optional for folks who use them) as I've never been one for using click charts like some folks do, where the map out every dot on the meter to gauge how far each dot hits each club. Not for me, lol.

;)

• Bluenoser and Davefevs like this

#92 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

...where the map out every dot on the meter to gauge how far each dot hits each club. Not for me, lol.

;)

I think that's probably for people who have waaaaay too much time on their hands.  LOL

I say "people" but all of us who have been around a long time know who "those people" are who map, edge, modify mice and use edging.  :ph34r:

#93 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

Looks like u have the 3-4 click down to a fine science but was wondering if a true swing mode will be available also and how that will work?

I am hoping PP does away with the TS/PS/RTS swing mode and keeps just one swing-type, a circular meter.

#94 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

I had charts in Links but only 100% shots. Never created any charts with 10 - 95% :D Geeze it took forever to create those 100% charts :D

But I have to agree to Daz, the swing meter looks pretty nice to me. It will be something new for all of us as we need to hit a ball into a circle :)

@ Lee: Don't think it should have no TS/PS/RTS, I'm pretty sure that there are ways to stop "cheating" on those swings. I'm pretty sure they already have some ideas in their minds  ;) :)

Who cares...

#95 Carnoustie

Carnoustie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

swing meter looks great,can't wait to try 4 click,as for edging that has been covered,they hope to make it a non factor,it would be a huge blunder not to have a mouse swing option in the game.

Intel Core i7 6770K Quad Core Skylake

Liquid Cooled

ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO Motherboard

Gigabyte GTX 1080 Waterblock

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB DDR4 3200

Asus 27" ROG Swift PG278QR Quad HD G-SYNC

Samsung M2 500GB Drive

Samsung 850 SSD 1TB Drive

#96 HalkeFralg

HalkeFralg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

I really like the look of the meter. I think that clicking is the way to go with PC golf. I am very hopeful that you guys will do a much better job of presenting a true golf simulation with difficulty that keeps scoring normal. That was always my biggest gripe with the EA games, after a little bit, everyone was shooting 50's and lower which just saps the fun out of it...

#97 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

I really like the look of the meter. I think that clicking is the way to go with PC golf.

There are many people out there that prefer a mouse swing (myself included) Never been a fan of clicking and hope a mouse swing is developed at the same time as a click swing.

Posted Image

#98 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

I really don't believe that PG will be with only one type of swing... :)

Who cares...

#99 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

I'm a clicker, but I do hope PP are looking at alternative swing methods.

Would be a heck of a way to alienate a group of PC golfers by forcing them in to using just one swing method. This approach always had me wondering why so many played WGT.

;)

• TimBoch likes this

#100 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

I'm a clicker, but I do hope PP are looking at alternative swing methods.

Would be a heck of a way to alienate a group of PC golfers by forcing them in to using just one swing method. 

If it was only click I wouldn't even bother using Course Forge. Why design for something you don't want to play :rolleyes:

I always thought the 1.07 patch for Links had more benefits for clickers than mouse swings  ;)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users