230 replies to this topic

#101 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

Ok we do not want to see this good discussion turn into a TS/RTS cheat by using edges and click cheat using charts discussion. I will delete or edit anything like this. Please feel free to discuss both what you like and don't like about the posted meter.

There will be a mouse swing
  • Nemesis, Maineah, Tazz and 2 others like this

#102 TimBoch

TimBoch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFarmington, MN

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:04 AM

I'm a clicker, but I do hope PP are looking at alternative swing methods.

Would be a heck of a way to alienate a group of PC golfers by forcing them in to using just one swing method. This approach always had me wondering why so many played WGT.

;)

I think you are correct Daz.  The need for multiple options is needed.  I too am a clicker and play to the level I was most comfortable.  When I tried to change levels or styles, the game became less realistic to me.  The TW swing meter reminds me of the days of Sega Genesis PGA Tour Golf.  Simple math made the game just a matter of running the numbers and I shot ridiculous scores.  The swing meter AJ proposed has many great possibilities, though I think that the draw/fade side of the snap needs to stay as it is in Links, which is a more true representation of a golf swing for us clickers.

Course Forge Courses in various stages of design: Dwan Golf Club, Hyland Greens, Faribault CC, Desert Valley CC/ Woodland Trail(fictional), Infamous Golf Course (fantasy)
Links 2003 Designs: Dwan Golf Club, Infamous Golf Course, Hazeltine National Golf Club (assistant designer), Woodland Trail/Desert Valley CC , Faribault CC (beta), Hyland Greens (beta), Double Eagle (beta), King's Walk (beta), Interlachen CC (still in planning)
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • 16GB DDR3L RAM
  • 750GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

#103 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:10 AM

Although I am not a clicker at present, I really love the simple modern design of this power meter. I would also like to see the same simplicity when the swing is in motion, as I find the bright colours of some meters detract from the aesthetics, much as I find grids on greens do, in some golf games.

One thing I often found when clicking in golf games though, was that the uniformity of the swing across all the clubs often made hitting the right distance on the easier clubs as difficult as hitting the harder ones. Also, sometimes a short putt for instance or a half swing shot, was easier to hit wrong than a long one, because of the quicker response needed to stop the meter in time. I would like to see the swing meter speed vary with the choice of club and also start very slowly, and then gradually speed up throughout the swing, as the swing gets longer, rather than just in the overswing area. This would make the shorter putts, and more controlled club swings much easier than the longer, or fuller ones, which would simulate real golf far better IMO. A shorter swing in real life tends to be a more relaxed one - on a click swing it tends to feel the opposite, and feels rushed, all because of the uniform meter speed.

• Davefevs likes this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#104 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

Ok we do not want to see this good discussion turn into a TS/RTS cheat by using edges and click cheat using charts discussion. I will delete or edit anything like this. Please feel free to discuss both what you like and don't like about the posted meter.

In my post regards players making charts for club distances per dot on the meter, I never referred to it as cheating. If someone wants to sit and work out all the distances, then good luck to them. There is then the small matter of actually pulling off the shot as required - hitting the correct dot and also hitting the snap.

I just like the prototype of the new swing meter as it comes without dots, which would be my preference.

Glad to hear a mouse swing has been confirmed. Good stuff.

@Steve - I think the v1.07 Links 2003 patch catered more for clickers as it was code they could easily tweak, whereas I think the PS/RTS needed the code that Take2 allegedly lost.

#105 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

Yes Daz I realise that regarding the 1.07 patch.   Swing gauge looks ok to me, but I am not really the one to ask as I have only rarely used the click swing with Links.

Posted Image

#106 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

Play nothing but click and love the idea of eliminating the dots. It would seem that it might take away from the idea of making charts for distance in that the exactness associated with hitting a particular dot is eliminated. It would also make it considerably more difficult hitting that approach shot just "exactly" the right distance.

Additionally I love the clean no nonsense look of the beta meter. All the bright colors would do nothing but give it an unprofessional look in my eyes.

It's refreshing in that real life golfers are now in charge of the decision making as opposed to game developers looking at nothing more than the bottom line. This team knows precisely what makes a good simulation of the game of golf and I'm more than happy to just sit back and see what the future holds for this game. I'm confident that in the end these guys will produce a game that's going to go above and beyond all of our expectations.

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#107 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, AR

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

Isn't it easy enough to work out proper distances without dots? I mean, halfway up means 50%, halfway in between halfway means 25% and 75%, etc. 

• Nemesis likes this

TheLighterDark / "William" / University of Arkansas, Fayetteville / 21

Toshiba Satellite S855 / Windows 8 64-bit / Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz / 8.00 GB RAM

n2o7ldH.png

"All the world on one arrow..." - Ashe, The Frost Archer, League of Legends.

#108 Sinewiz

Sinewiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationMichigan U.S.A.

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:16 PM

Isn't it easy enough to work out proper distances without dots? I mean, halfway up means 50%, halfway in between halfway means 25% and 75%, etc. 

Of course you can come close very close, but it's still not quite the same as having the dots as a visual focal point. I bowl in 2 leagues and have bowled for over 40 years and by now have a pretty good feel of where I'm aiming, but still if they took away my arrows and individual boards I would have a little tuffer time hitting my target. If that's a poor example forgive me, but you get my gist. ;) It simply puts a little more room for error in your shot. Theres a reason PP is considering doing away with them.

Lakes of Taylor Golf Course

Links at Gateway Golf Club

#109 Bluenoser

Bluenoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:17 PM

I grew up when we still had clocks with hands and numbers. Yes, I'm old :)

I can look at a circle and tell you where 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, & 12 o'clock are without ever referencing a dot. We look at them because they are there, but if you really think about it, when they are gone, if you are a regular player, you will quickly know where every dot was in your mind. We've all heard of muscle memory right? If you played other golf sims, the dots are in your memory, both mental and physical.

And if you didn't play other golf sims, or have never played using a meter with dots, you will still develop both memories just from consistency.

So leave em in, take em out. Max Nix :)

#110 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:27 AM

...and there you have it.  Now we can all move on to our ideas of each swing type. I like the first rendition of the circular meter
to a degree. I would rather see a colored progress back-swing rather than watch a small ball inside the meter. Maybe when
they create the circular meter we will have different meter skins.

As for moving the mouse, pizza crumbs get in the way of that!  LOL    :D

That's actually a request AJ, different skins sound like a good idea?

#111 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:31 AM

So leave em in, take em out. Max Nix :)

Totally agree.  Less is more in my book when it comes to a streamlined Circular Swing Meter. 

Another question to ask is, "will we be able to move the Circular Swing Meter anywhere on the game screen?

#112 Carnoustie

Carnoustie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

something just came to mind,the swing meter should not get bigger if you use a low resolution,I dont know what the most common resoloution is but the swing meter size should be set to that and it should also be locked with no mods allowed,ie. no extra dots,lines or markings to aid the player.

Intel Core i7 6770K Quad Core Skylake

Liquid Cooled

ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO Motherboard

Gigabyte GTX 1080 Waterblock

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB DDR4 3200

Asus 27" ROG Swift PG278QR Quad HD G-SYNC

Samsung M2 500GB Drive

Samsung 850 SSD 1TB Drive

#113 Bluenoser

Bluenoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

There would have to be some type of option for a large swing meter. Many of us older players need it. :blink:

• Nemesis likes this

#114 Sliceapottomus

Sliceapottomus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

The design looks great. Not sure if the 4th click is a great idea or not without trying the meter. The most important thing with swing meter is gonna be the smoothness. You can have a perfect swing meter design and function, but if only 1 % of users can operate it, it will cause many issues.

• Nemesis likes this
Ncccrca.jpg
Operating System - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit ,  CPU - Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.80GHz ,  RAM - 16.0GB, MotherboardASRock B250M Pro4 (CPUSocket) , Graphics card4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti ,  Storage256GB (SSD) , 931GB Seagate , 232GB Maxtor USB Device

#115 Carnoustie

Carnoustie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

There would have to be some type of option for a large swing meter. Many of us older players need it. :blink:

sure for offline or career mode but for people playing online at the same level the meter should be the same size for everyone.

Liquid Cooled

Samsung M2 500GB Drive

#116 Carnoustie

Carnoustie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

The design looks great. Not sure if the 4th click is a great idea or not without trying the meter. The most important thing with swing meter is gonna be the smoothness. You can have a perfect swing meter design and function, but if only 1 % of users can operate it, it will cause many issues.

why would only 1% be able to operate it?,meter speed,snap point size?,I dont understand.

Liquid Cooled

Samsung M2 500GB Drive

#117 Bluenoser

Bluenoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

sure for offline or career mode but for people playing online at the same level the meter should be the same size for everyone.

Sorry, but I'm going to disagree with this statement. The same as a large meter might give someone advantage over someone with a small meter, the same is opposite. If I need a large meter to play because of eyesight, and I'm forced to use a small one the same as others, then they have the advantage over me.

This game, to have any success, has to cater to all types of golfer. I fully respect and understand there needs to be safeguards against cheating, but the game cannot cater only to those who like to play online in clubhouses. If it does, then it simply will not survive. You have to allow every style of golfer the opportunity to play online, and telling someone they can't play with a large meter, which they require for eyesight, isn't a good way to accommodate that goal.

• Tazz likes this

#118 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

For me the 4-Click is a great idea. I have always thought that is what games like Links and TW were missing with their swingmeters....... the added element in the swing of hitting the ball fat or thin.

It will depend on how well this is implemented as to how good it will be.

;)

#119 Carnoustie

Carnoustie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

I never mentioned large or small,just the same size,just make it large and there is no problem. ;)

Liquid Cooled

Samsung M2 500GB Drive

#120 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, AR

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:52 PM

It isn't programmed in Flash, so I assume that it will run just fine. 

TheLighterDark / "William" / University of Arkansas, Fayetteville / 21

Toshiba Satellite S855 / Windows 8 64-bit / Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz / 8.00 GB RAM

n2o7ldH.png

"All the world on one arrow..." - Ashe, The Frost Archer, League of Legends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users