#121 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

sure for offline or career mode but for people playing online at the same level the meter should be the same size for everyone.

So you are saying if folks are playing online together they should be using a swing-meter that is the same size? Are you going to enforce that they play with the same monitor graphics resolution as well?

I'll take it you won't be a fan of a clicker playing with a Tru-swinger then, lol. Totally different swing method's so you won't be able to apply your 'same size meter' ruling.

:D

#122 Carnoustie

Carnoustie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:39 AM

So you are saying if folks are playing online together they should be using a swing-meter that is the same size? Are you going to enforce that they play with the same monitor graphics resolution as well?

I'll take it you won't be a fan of a clicker playing with a Tru-swinger then, lol. Totally different swing method's so you won't be able to apply your 'same size meter' ruling.

:D

I already mentioned the resolutions,many of the top players on TW played at 800x600 just to get a bigger meter,they seemed to think is was an advantage,never had a problem  with mixed method games,tru-swing could drive longer but clicker short game was easier,drive for show,putt for dough. ;)

Intel Core i7 6770K Quad Core Skylake

Liquid Cooled

ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO Motherboard

Gigabyte GTX 1080 Waterblock

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB DDR4 3200

Asus 27" ROG Swift PG278QR Quad HD G-SYNC

Samsung M2 500GB Drive

Samsung 850 SSD 1TB Drive

#123 Jbx

Jbx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationHampshire, England

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

Can't see how having a larger than normal swing meter is a real advantage. Surely mastering the meter's swing speed is all that matters?

John.

• Tazz likes this

Jbx%20golgBall1.jpg

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every mininute of it!

#124 Carnoustie

Carnoustie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

it's not much use mastering the swing meter speed if you can't hit the correct percentage for the shot,the larger the meter the better chance of hitting the correct percentage,not every shot is 100%. ;)

Intel Core i7 6770K Quad Core Skylake

Liquid Cooled

ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO Motherboard

Gigabyte GTX 1080 Waterblock

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB DDR4 3200

Asus 27" ROG Swift PG278QR Quad HD G-SYNC

Samsung M2 500GB Drive

Samsung 850 SSD 1TB Drive

#125 BladeUK

BladeUK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

Andrew,

The "swing meter", 'three click' or 'free hand mouse swing', needs to be separate from the game otherwise a system with choppy/slow graphics will have choppy/unresposive swingmeter feedback.

I think the technical term is it should run in its own 'thread' or something like that.

Dave.

#126 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, AR

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

it's not much use mastering the swing meter speed if you can't hit the correct percentage for the shot,the larger the meter the better chance of hitting the correct percentage,not every shot is 100%. ;)

I agree somewhat, but the usefulness of increasing the size of the meter offers little advantage to begin with and deteriorates almost immediately. 

TheLighterDark / "William" / University of Arkansas, Fayetteville / 21

Toshiba Satellite S855 / Windows 8 64-bit / Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz / 8.00 GB RAM

n2o7ldH.png

"All the world on one arrow..." - Ashe, The Frost Archer, League of Legends.

#127 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

I suspect I will probably play in a handicap based country club, as I will never be able to play enough to become skilled to play straight head to head. That is why I love the OWGT.

A little off topic, but it would be good to see your opponents settings when you play a match, e.g. Overhead on/off, swingmeter dots on/off, caddy on/off, putting grid on/off etc.

#128 Maverick Spirit

Maverick Spirit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

I like the design of the 3C meter that Andrew detailed on page 1, it has the feel of a next generation meter and the 4 click swing style sounds like an interesting concept I'm eager to try out.

Personally, I prefer True Swing, to me it's a more realistic feel. It may have been stated/answered elsewhere but, I don't recall seeing it...is TS acually going to be available in the game or will clicking be the only swing type?

#129 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

I like the design of the 3C meter that Andrew detailed on page 1, it has the feel of a next generation meter and the 4 click swing style sounds like an interesting concept I'm eager to try out.

Personally, I prefer True Swing, to me it's a more realistic feel. It may have been stated/answered elsewhere but, I don't recall seeing it...is TS acually going to be available in the game or will clicking be the only swing type?

See AJ's reply below from Page 6 of this thread.

Ok we do not want to see this good discussion turn into a TS/RTS cheat by using edges and click cheat using charts discussion. I will delete or edit anything like this. Please feel free to discuss both what you like and don't like about the posted meter.

There will be a mouse swing

;)

#130 Maverick Spirit

Maverick Spirit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

Thanks Dazmaniac, don't know why I didn't see that the first time I read this thread.  

#131 Forestman

Forestman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

I'd love if I could use my controller to swing similar to Tiger Woods on the consoles.

Please support PERFECT GOLF on STEAM --CLICK ON THE LINK TO SUPPORT: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=116796801&searchtext=golf

#132 Jbx

Jbx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationHampshire, England

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

Does a controller offer more accuracy than say, a mouse or spacebar?

John.

Jbx%20golgBall1.jpg

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every mininute of it!

#133 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

Does a controller offer more accuracy than say, a mouse or spacebar?

John.

If you're referring to the 'click' swing then I would say not really (personal opinion only, not scientifically tested).

I think the 'controller' Forestman is referring to is the PS3 hand held controllers (Playstation Move) that operate like the Wii controllers do, so you are holding the controllers in your hand and then you make a swing like in real life and the controller send the signal to the console and the swing is performed. Obviously this type of swinging cannot be replicated with a mouse or keyboard, lol.

What the controller might give is a bit more realism, as you are actually swinging, but I'm happy to sit at my PC and click to make my swing (especially with the prospect of a 4 swing meter that gives the fat/thin element) and if I want to sswing clubs, I'll go up to my home club and get the tackle out of my locker, lol.

;)

#134 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, AR

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:00 AM

No Daz, I think he's referring more towards the past decade of Playstation and Xbox swing mechanics: draw the joystick back for the backswing then push it forward for the downswing/follow through, though I could be wrong. AKA console controller instead of mouse. 

TheLighterDark / "William" / University of Arkansas, Fayetteville / 21

Toshiba Satellite S855 / Windows 8 64-bit / Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz / 8.00 GB RAM

n2o7ldH.png

"All the world on one arrow..." - Ashe, The Frost Archer, League of Legends.

#135 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:00 AM

We all have seen decent swing meters since Links 386.  Based on the evolution of the circular Swing Meter, I give Tiger Woods PC 2008's meter two thumbs up. There were no sound effects as you swung and there was a great ability to impart draw or fade by missing the 6 on purpose.  Great swing meter, large or small .

#136 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:05 AM

The stop/start effect of snapping and snap again might also be odd and not fluent like a real swing but i like the idea, will think about this a bit. ^_^

The 4th click would feel much more natural if you could use a click and hold for the 3rd, and then a release for the 4th click. This removes that 'jabby' feel, and is how I play powerstroke on Links 2003. It feels so much more natural and fluid than having to make another click at the end of your swing. 

• Dazmaniac, TimBoch, highfade and 2 others like this
life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#137 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

The 4th click would feel much more natural if you could use a click and hold for the 3rd, and then a release for the 4th click. This removes that 'jabby' feel, and is how I play powerstroke on Links 2003. It feels so much more natural and fluid than having to make another click at the end of your swing. 

This ^^

#138 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:10 AM

Been an interesting few days reading this thread.. glad it was found, thanks.

I did want to summarise it in this post, and that may make this post incredibly long, but it helps me re-read and recap on the points made. So I'll try and suggest either reading the headed notes or skipping my post.

ANDREWS SYSTEM - 4 click

The image of the swing meter, works well. Several here have expressed concerns of the sizing, so IF the image shown is the size to be used, I'd assume many won't have too many issues with it. The ability or requirement to only see it, when ready to take the shot would be a suggestion. Thus we'd all have great full screen visuals, dependant upon our own viewing needs.

No dots on the power bar.. good! Keep those away or make them options to have on/off. Unsure why the suggestion of charts is a cheat, when in todays golf you can gain accuracies of what distance you need by club design and GPS systems. What I'd personally like to see, if dots on the meter are used, is the avoidance of 50% power = 50% club distance. There is no need to replicate this fully.. if the meter goes halfway, then maybe introduce a better ratio ensuring the distance to hit any shot is harder to achieve the longer the swing. This may make us all think about what club we take from the bag..

ADDITIONAL OPTIONS

Customising for those using click, would therefore be an option. Holding down clicks needs to be recognised, allowing a 4 click system to become 2 or 3 clicks, using the release method.

SUGGESTIONS

EDITABLE METER

This I personally feel is a huge positive if they allow the ability to setup a shot this way..

Why can't we move the 6 o clock and 9 o clock snap positions..?

If I want to ensure I fade a shot and hit it slightly thin, then why can't I move the ACTUAL SNAP instead of hitting it late and late. Why can't I have something to actually aim for.. moving the snap position like so ;

15i6xhw.jpg

This then allows me to tailor my shot exactly to what I think I need to do (and almost totally rules out the ability to use charts too). The eye co-ordination works better when trying to achieve something it can see, maybe not exactly simulation proof but it's a good option surely? You're adjusting something no other golfer may actually see online either. They may see your meter.. but only if you hit the snap or not. Who knows if the snap is where they have positioned it..?

Another Addition: The 4th click requirement for hitting fat/thin - does it have to be at the 9 o clock position? One of the principles of a swing is that it goes up and comes down, or back, then forwards. So, maybe the  direction  continuing for the final click or release, could also be reversed back to a 3 o clock area. Maybe an option or further thought anyway. 

The fat / thin debate has really to start I think. We're basically talking about bunker vs fairway.. and that's me being very basic lol. The casual golfer won't want a fat shot, unless you're on the tee or in a bunker.. . However, I'm concerned how you guys do the physics for this and the impact it may have on the spin / aim. Maybe I've missed the chat elsewhere, but ball lie hasn't quite surfaced and naturally a fat shot from the tee vs a fat shot from the fairway is going to be different in design. However, it isn't a concern as yet regarding ball physics, just the ability to utilise it. I've outlined the two areas a fat shot will most likely be needed, so a suggestion here is to make the 4th click editable...

• Making it editable, would allow me to design how fat or thin I want to aim to hit it. What is editable though.. allowing me to adjust the position of the 4th click requirement basically. If I'm deliberately aiming to hit fat.. I perhaps would like more control over the chance of hitting too fat or not fat enough. So by allowing us to move the 4th click position between perhaps 2 o clock or 4 o clock, will gain more control over what we're attempting.

Andrew also stated it would be unlikely to see varying speeds of the meter due to opening up other issues. Personally, I think they would be better addressing those issues now rather than introducing them later. Once club type is designed, then allowing varying speeds of meter would aid in gaining individual rythyms for each golfer. I'm more an accuracy player than a long hitter. But I don't wish to take that away from those who want power shots. If that means I need a faster meter speed for shorter stiffer clubs, then that's by my design. It's simply a suggestion that hopefully allows further discussion in the other thread regarding club distance etc.

OTHER SWING SYSTEMS

Like someone suggested, I'd like to see another system used that doesn't use the image Andrew kindly posted. I'd prefer the swing visual opposite my golfer and seeing him take his backswing and gauge my power on his visual. A full swing may mean the club fully above his head, straight. An overswing would be easy to see and thus when the downswing begins, the point of impact needs to be clicked / released accordingly. A 4th click / release shouldn't be too hard to incorporate if this option was available. This would also remove the discussion over the size of the meter to be displayed.

Having this swing system visual means you can also use the same visual for any swing method, TS or whatever the guys here wish to make their own.

Personally, I'd rather see this come with the game, and an introduction of the old style swingometer in a future version, than the other way round. It's likely something that many may try now and if so, dumb down (for want of better wording) on a later version. Maybe add every option suggested... if you can program time to stand still too ;)

OTHER THREAD COMMENTS

Someone mentioned Links 2003 having an inbuilt cheat deterent for PS. Yes it is true it was there, but it was only for PS, not click. I think it was Bruce Darby telling me about that.. maybe he's still about to confirm that. However Andrew did ask not to discuss this any further. I think sometimes they should be discussed to aid suggestive ideas, but maybe Andrew is right in this thread, the concept is currently a click meter.

Ok, sure I had more to say but this has to be enough for a Sunday lol..

#139 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

Oh and if I might add a form of marketing quotation here.. for the above suggestion of various swing modes, how about ;

"Play with a handicap..? Not with Perfect Golf..."

#140 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

Ian,

Like the option to be able to set your personally preferred snap location. Lots of folks play golf and have a natural fade/slice. Would be nice to set the swingmeter accordingly.

You mentioned having the fat/thin at 3 o'clock instead of 9 o'clock on the 4 click meter. The example swing meter AJ provided already has the fat/thin snap at 3 o/clock.

He also stated that we should also see 2 click and 3 click versions of the swingmeter (like Links and TW already have) with the 4 click being the full-on click option.

As for other swings. AJ has also confirmed there will be some form of RTS/Truswing to go with the Click. Not sure if we will see a Powerstroke type swing though.

;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users