613 replies to this topic

#481 Niblick47

Niblick47

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:55 PM

This version has a few textures that look much more realistic, problem is they don't have enough of them...maybe 3 or 4

Ball physics are pretty much ok, you have to deloft chip shots to get realistic results ( they really messed up that shot from game 1 ) by delofting you can get a chip to behave the way it should.

Pitch shots behave better in 2K21 than they do in PG, i understand why spin was removed from the pitch shot in PG ( too easy ) it's only easy in 2K21 if you nail the timing, so i do prefer the pitch in 2K21.

PG bunkers are 100 x better than 2K's  and they have no authentic pot bunkers.

2k has a career mode, albeit not a brilliant one but its something.

multiplayer is better in PG.

2k has a good offline tour with TGCtours.com

The designer in 2k is more user friendly but course forge is way better.

2k now has difficulty levels and options to suit all, so that's a plus.

2K is over priced on steam, shop around or wait for a sale as it's not a triple A title like the price tag suggests.

Thank you very much. As you suggest, I'll wait until the price drops to a more realistic level.

• Buck likes this

#482 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:01 PM

This version has a few textures that look much more realistic, problem is they don't have enough of them...maybe 3 or 4

Ball physics are pretty much ok, you have to deloft chip shots to get realistic results ( they really messed up that shot from game 1 ) by delofting you can get a chip to behave the way it should.

Pitch shots behave better in 2K21 than they do in PG, i understand why spin was removed from the pitch shot in PG ( too easy ) it's only easy in 2K21 if you nail the timing, so i do prefer the pitch in 2K21.

PG bunkers are 100 x better than 2K's  and they have no authentic pot bunkers.

2k has a career mode, albeit not a brilliant one but its something.

multiplayer is better in PG.

2k has a good offline tour with TGCtours.com

The designer in 2k is more user friendly but course forge is way better.

2k now has difficulty levels and options to suit all, so that's a plus.

2K is over priced on steam, shop around or wait for a sale as it's not a triple A title like the price tag suggests.

Could not agree more. This post by you pretty well tells the story. Thank you for your insight. Also agree with Niblick's coment on the current price of yhis Sim. A little too spendy for what it is.

#483 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:15 PM

Totally agree - makes sense

Again - please take no offense anyone - I'm in no way trying to "stifle conversation" -- I was really just curious.

There's literally nothing here and hardly anybody left so I'd say talk about "painting houses" or "car repair" while we are at it if we care to.  lol

Absolutely no offense taken on my part. I view everyones coments at this forum as a helpfull contribution  to the learning process. I have learned one hell of a lot over the years from all of you who actively participate with thoughtful coments on numerous topics featured at this  site.

#484 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 26 September 2020 - 07:31 AM

Do these courses look as good as the best courses in PG? Yes and no.

Vegetation looks better IMO. Long grasses blend better. Trees look better. Lighting is generally better, but too many people seem to use late afternoon sunlight which is kinda tiresome after awhile.

The problem with 2k21 is the lack of customization, which gets old really quickly, as like 2019 before it, there are only about four or five texture sets out of 32 that I find to be realistic. The ones that are look fantastic, but for every really good one, there are three that look way too bright and washed out and don't jive with the other ones. I hate the lack of square corners.

They didn't even bother to add any additional buildings apart from a few more maintenance sheds, and they barely added any more tee markers, flag styles, or ballwashers and other props at all.

The bunkers are a lot better than before but there's still no pot bunkers.

The water looks good but the banks do not.

Having automatic 3D grass is nice to have.

For someone who just wants to put together a really nice looking fictional course over a weekend or two, it's a wonderful tool. I made a really awesome 9 hole pitch and putt from scratch and published it the same day. For someone who wants to do a photo-realistic recreation of a real life course down to the pixel, it's not really in the ballpark.

I like having a choice between them and I use them for different things. I guess my feeling is, one is great as a cheap, fast meal and the other is great as a fancy restaurant meal. Sometimes you want a cheeseburger and sometimes you want filet mignon.

I also look at it from the point of view that we've only had one Perfect Golf, while we've had the Golf Club 1, the Golf Club 2, 2019 and 2k21. When you get to your fourth progression of anything you should theoretically have improved to a significant degree.

We don't know where subsequent incarnations of PG would have gone but I think it is safe to say that they would have pushed the envelope. What little of the VG2 stuff I've seen is impressive.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#485 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 10:31 AM

The bunker lips do look better than previous versions but they still don’t look good. From certain angles you can see that the lips are not actually 3D and don’t effect the ball if you’re up against one. The lips are just an optical illusion that looks ok from a distance but terrible close up.

I don’t understand why, when you create a pond, lake or river, you’re always left with a brown earth effect for the banks! I wanted to have a grass bank down to the water but, as far as I know, that’s not possible. 

There is quite a large selection of trees but generally the trunks of the trees are far too light in colour giving a washed out effect to the tree as a whole.

The CA is fairly easy to use and the results are ok but I find CF to be more satisfying to use, possibly because it takes some time to get up to speed with CF whereas PGA2K21’s CA can be learnt in an hour or two.

I wish they had included a ‘smoothing’ tool, not just ‘flatten’ or ‘raise’ tools.

The CA isn’t bad, but, like most things in the game, it could have been better! You would have thought by now they would have polished the original turd so much you could see your face in it!

Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#486 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 11:16 AM

Cover the water bank with a heavy rough shape and that will improve it. It won't disappear completely but it will look like less of a dirt cliff.

Also raise the water level as high as possible.

#487 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 03:24 PM

Cover the water bank with a heavy rough shape and that will improve it. It won't disappear completely but it will look like less of a dirt cliff.

Also raise the water level as high as possible.

I have tried that but all you get is a weirdly shaped rough anomaly. I wanted the fairway to run almost into the water, which is possible on CF but not on this CA.

Covering the dirt bank with grasses and bushes helps but it’s not the look that I am after. 
This issue and that of the strange bunker lips are two of the reasons why I will always prefer the look of CF courses. 

WWG1WGA

#488 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTeesside, UK #UTB

Posted 27 September 2020 - 03:55 PM

Noticed this in ASDA this morning for £46. It didn’t make it to the till
  • Buck likes this

#489 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 27 September 2020 - 05:20 PM

you would have to halve that before its a yes.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#490 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 06:25 PM

I’ve seen it for £35.

To be honest it’s worth that, it’s just a shame that there are a few things that niggle.

The controller swing is a case in point. You only need to move the stick slightly for the avatar to start his swing, which carries on until he’s completed his backswing, after which the stick is pushed forward to make the downswing. It’s almost a clicker’s ‘controller swing’ and doesn’t even pretend to come anywhere near being a real-time swing, which I think is what most people want.

WWG1WGA

#491 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 29 September 2020 - 10:51 AM

If you want to mitigate the slow/fast on timing and get a feel for what you did wrong when you hit one, drop the graphic settings to low, play and see if it makes a difference.  If it does then slowly add back some settings until you still retain good performance Vs graphics.  I did this and although it won't make you hit perfects all the time, it will let you identify more clearly where you went wrong on the swing, this timing is definately tied to FPS / performance, just by dropping a few settings on my mid range rig has proved much better, i'm not getting anymore real head scratching results on the timing.

• Greensboronclion likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#492 Brucey Mc

Brucey Mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationTeesside, UK #UTB

Posted 30 September 2020 - 06:30 AM

Ian, where was it for £35?  Its £40 on Amazon.

#493 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 08:44 AM

Check out the prices on Pricerunner.com. Prices start from just under £35. 
There is also at least one on eBay at £35.

WWG1WGA

#494 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 October 2020 - 07:27 PM

Do these courses look as good as the best courses in PG? Yes and no.

Vegetation looks better IMO. Long grasses blend better. Trees look better. Lighting is generally better, but too many people seem to use late afternoon sunlight which is kinda tiresome after awhile.

The problem with 2k21 is the lack of customization, which gets old really quickly, as like 2019 before it, there are only about four or five texture sets out of 32 that I find to be realistic. The ones that are look fantastic, but for every really good one, there are three that look way too bright and washed out and don't jive with the other ones. I hate the lack of square corners.

They didn't even bother to add any additional buildings apart from a few more maintenance sheds, and they barely added any more tee markers, flag styles, or ballwashers and other props at all.

The bunkers are a lot better than before but there's still no pot bunkers.

The water looks good but the banks do not.

Having automatic 3D grass is nice to have.

For someone who just wants to put together a really nice looking fictional course over a weekend or two, it's a wonderful tool. I made a really awesome 9 hole pitch and putt from scratch and published it the same day. For someone who wants to do a photo-realistic recreation of a real life course down to the pixel, it's not really in the ballpark.

I like having a choice between them and I use them for different things. I guess my feeling is, one is great as a cheap, fast meal and the other is great as a fancy restaurant meal. Sometimes you want a cheeseburger and sometimes you want filet mignon.

I also look at it from the point of view that we've only had one Perfect Golf, while we've had the Golf Club 1, the Golf Club 2, 2019 and 2k21. When you get to your fourth progression of anything you should theoretically have improved to a significant degree.

We don't know where subsequent incarnations of PG would have gone but I think it is safe to say that they would have pushed the envelope. What little of the VG2 stuff I've seen is impressive.

Comparing the course overall appearances between PG's best and 2k21 in my opinion is no contest. When I look at the courses in 2k21 they bare a strange resemblance to the renditions the major networks use to illustrate course layouta.

#495 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 02 October 2020 - 09:32 AM

Well that lasted a few weeks, i think i'm pretty much done with 2K21.  As much as they have tried to introduce some variation into the game i still feel like i'm playing the same old shots without much feel or partial input.  The tours are full of players who calculate every last detail, i seen one video where some dude is counting the lines on the grid between the ball and the cup, then scoring the slopes from 1-10 from L to R or R to L, after this he taps the controller stick x amount of times to the L or R to get the putt line.  All in all it took about 2 mins before he made the putt and burned the edge..wow!!  this method is common i'm told, damn i'd rather see blood in my urine than play this way.  Everyone still plays off 100% hits because it does not pay to even attempt the very limited partial shots in this game.  I had a few days off because i was not enjoying it anymore, i thought i may have just played it a bit too much, come back today and quit after 3 holes...i'm done!  maybe its golf games in general because i don't play this anymore either.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#496 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 02 October 2020 - 01:19 PM

I play the career mode at Pro and enjoy it and it's very competitive for me and enjoy the game for what it is entertainment. As for tours and Societies I just play and don't worry what the other guy does as I can't control that and just like PG the top players are so far out ahead why worry about finish. I also play other games and it keeps me from getting bored with one switching back and forth. In the end it's strictly entertainment and it's not real golf as that can't be simulated using a mouse or controller. As for PG I have not touched it since this game came out and wasnt playing much before either.

#497 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 October 2020 - 06:56 PM

Yes, it is a real shame and you guys are spot  on in saying that the enthusiasm  for this Sim has definitely cooled off.

#498 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 02 October 2020 - 07:58 PM

Yes, it is a real shame and you guys are spot  on in saying that the enthusiasm  for this Sim has definitely cooled off.

How has it cooled if I am still playing in Society events with 400 plus players entered? It sure beats the 60 to 70 playing PGLS events where all but a handful are still clicking. Is it perfect hell no but the amount of people playing hasn't cooled.

#499 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 02 October 2020 - 10:45 PM

The game is way more popular than PG, I have def cooled with it though.  The vast majority seem to enjoy playing off 100% every shot, it has gotten boring quite quickly for me even though i play at a good level...not the point though is it, i have always liked golf games that let you manufacture shots, 2K is very limited in that dept, always has been.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#500 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 06:33 AM

I think the shininess has worn off, but the same issues that weren't addressed are now tempering everyone's enjoyment.

I only really play to test courses anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users